PDA

View Full Version : winter hiking boots

78owl
02-16-2014, 21:20
Would like your advise on winter hiking boots in the WNC area. :-?

78owl
02-17-2014, 11:41
I guess know one hikes in winter boots?

aficion
02-17-2014, 12:04
I guess know one hikes in winter boots?

I like my Rockies from Walmart. They are insulated and have goretex waterproofing. They are a bit heavy but dependably warm and dry. I have walked as much as twelve miles in the snow in them with no discomfort. They stay in the closet from mid March until late November, but I would not want to do without them in the cold wet stuff.

Slo-go'en
02-17-2014, 12:53
I know one who hikes in winter boots, me :)

Of course, it depends on what you consider winter. If your up here in the White Mountains this time of year, you need really good boots, good to -20. $400 plastic double boots are common for winter climbers and hikers around here.

But for NC, you don't need to go to those extrems. Insulated hiking boots similer in style and design to summer boots are now commonly available and good to pretty low temps, but these might be too warm for you.

I have a pair of $30 Thinsulate insulated Ozark Trail boots from Walmart which have done me well down to sub zero temps with a couple pairs of good socks. It might be too late in the season to find these though, Walmart is already changing its stock over to summer clothes.

I've been using my Gortex Scarpa boots in snow and temps down to 20F and find they keep my feet warm enough. The important thing is to keep your feet dry, so a waterproof boot and gaiters to keep snow out of the boot is required. A vaper barrier liner can be a big help to extend the temp of a boot, this can be as simple as a plastic bread bag.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-17-2014, 13:48
I live in Boone and I don't wear insulated boots. I surely had cold feet in Jan before I got warmed up hiking but we also had the 3rd coldest Jan on record. As long as temps stay above 20f I don't see the need. Even below 20f my feet are only cold if I've been sitting for a long time and then leave the house. Or get snow on top of my boots for awhile.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-17-2014, 13:49
I'm wearing Salewa Mtn Trainer mids with Gore-Tex.

The Cleaner
02-17-2014, 14:00
Vasque Snoburbans......

OCDave
02-17-2014, 14:38
I wear my Asolo 520s year-round, all-weather. My socks/liners change to accomodate changing temps. I am considering switching to trail runners for summer temps but, don't forsee anything different for winter. Used Sorel Caribou for many winters but never really liked them for covering distance.

78owl
02-18-2014, 18:56
thanks 4 the info. I'll check out wally world

bigcranky
02-18-2014, 19:33
I wear low cut Keen Targhee hiking shoes with wool socks in the winter in NC and VA. Add light gaiters in deeper snow. The shoes have a waterproof liner.

CalebJ
02-18-2014, 21:40
I've had good luck with a pair of Wolverine Big Bison's. They're too heavy for every day use but very comfortable for winter backpacking. Insulated and Gore-Tex, you can usually find a pair for around $100.

Wise Old Owl
02-18-2014, 22:01
OK interesting thread, the average person wants a pair of waterproof boots, for hiking or backpacking. When you go on a website and click waterproof or snow - did anyone notice the diehard leathers with high tops suddenly scroll to the top?... over the Goretex? whats up with that?

LIhikers
02-20-2014, 01:03
For use in winter conditions like significant snow and very old temperatures I use Sorel Caribou boots.
They are bulky and heavy but that's OK since I have to hike slow and easy to prevent sweating.
But, at the end of the day your feet will be warm.