PDA

View Full Version : ConTENTplations

Sierra2015
02-16-2014, 23:31
I'm looking for a lightweight, reasonably priced, user friendly, and durable tent for myself, my gear, and my dog. (Maybe even be able to squeeze in a second person in a pinch. I have a friend who's going to graduate school in Virginia and I'd love to be able to include her in some weekend hikes on the AT.)

Tarptents: I like the versatility of transitioning the tent for winter usage. I don't like how it looks. Seems unwieldy.
Tarptent Stratospire: http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html#
Tarptent Rainbow: http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Six Moon Designs: I like the price and the weights. However... these tents would just be for myself and my dog.
SMD Lunar Solo: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html
SMD Lunar Solo LE: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/74-lunar-solo-le.html

LightHeart Gear: I love how they look... seem polished and not like they were made in someone's garage. But they're more expensive than SMD. The last one seems to have enough room for two people.
LightHeart Solo Standard: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=15
LightHeart Solo Wedge: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=16
LightHeart Solong: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=42

I appreciate any advice or knowledge you could share about these products.

(Secondary question... I'm viewing this website on my phone. After posting all these links I realized I might need to manually imbed them for the people who are viewing this site from desktops. What's the code?)

Thanks!

kayak karl
02-16-2014, 23:39
i'm on a laptop, all is fine. can't help though. never owned a tent.

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 00:27
i'm on a laptop, all is fine. can't help though. never owned a tent.
... Hammocks?

I like the idea of hammocks, but I worry about where my dog would sleep.

Rocket Jones
02-17-2014, 01:31
I use a Tarptent Double Rainbow. Room for two, palace for one + dog. I like being able to keep my pack inside with me.

HooKooDooKu
02-17-2014, 01:54
... Hammocks?

I like the idea of hammocks, but I worry about where my dog would sleep.
On the ground under you?

bfayer
02-17-2014, 08:21
Hammocks tend to be a little heavier when you add up everything you need to keep warm. Also if you ever plan to stay in a shelter, you will need a pad anyway. They work great for some, not so much for others. I toss and turn to much for a hammock. I know people that will never go to ground again, so don't dismiss them till you try. I can see a significant disadvantage with a dog.

I have the solong 6 and it is about perfect for me. It is more than big enough for you and a dog, in fact depending on the size of you and the dog, it is big enough for you, a dog, and another person in a pinch.

I have nothing bad to say about Tarptent, I own a rainshadow II and it's a quality product and works well for me and my kids. The Lightheart has better protection from bad weather, and has more ventilation options when the weather is good. I have not used either of the Tarptents you are looking at.

I have never heard anything bad about SMD, but have not used them.

garlic08
02-17-2014, 08:27
Those are all good choices for a thru hike. In my personal experience, Tarptent has been excellent in design, quality, price, and customer service. You'll have to make a decision based on what features you'd like to have. Some hikers really want side entry, for instance, and that doesn't matter at all for me. You might not get it perfectly right the first time--that's why most of us have at least two tents. If there were one single perfect tent, there would only be one tent sold. Good luck in your choice and especially in your hike.

saltysack
02-17-2014, 08:40
I'm trying to decide in same.,,similar situation. Mostly solo hiker w small dog jrt. My don is 7 and plan to start taking him. I'm leaning towords the one of the lHG tents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
02-17-2014, 08:41
Typo
Same
Son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikerboy57
02-17-2014, 09:16
i bought the solong6 in the summer, have used it 20 nights, and plan on bringing it on my hike this year. i got one with a single awning. the tent has space enough for two,although a bit tight, and spacious for one. kept me dry in some crazy t storms in maine with the wind blowing the rain sideways. the awning gives you the option of keeping your gear right outside the tent, or inside, plenty of room for gear,dog and human.side vestibules an added plus.

martinb
02-17-2014, 09:42
All sound good. I have a list of eligible bachelors if price as concern.

OCDave
02-17-2014, 11:16
I own a Tarptent II for the wife, youngest son and dog (older son and myself hammock). I love the tent: extremely versatile (tarp alone/ bug net alone or together), cozy when cool, ventilates well when warm, extremely spacious protected space (huge vestibule x 2 for packs and boots), impressive size/weight ration. The geometry of the tent strikes my eye as art. Set-up is super speedy. Entry/Egress is easy. I struggled with which Tarptent to choose- initially considered Cloudburst 3 then Double Rainbow. I had a bit of anxiety between placing the order and finally receiving the tent; "Did I choose correctly?" I have since seen a Double Rainbow in person and am very happy I chose the Stratospire II.

Sorry, I have no experience with the other tents you mentioned with which to compare. Perhaps they will be a better choice for you but, I don't think you could be dissappointed with a Stratospire.

Good Luck

nastynate
02-17-2014, 12:35
I love my solong6. Big enough for a dog or another person. Small enough to not seem huge by myself. Double doors and the awning is awesome. It also opens up for great ventilation and views if it's not raining.

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 19:48
All sound good. I have a list of eligible bachelors if price as concern.
What's this? Spare tents laying around? :p

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 20:20
I've narrowed it down to two.

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

LightHeart Gear Solong 6: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42

Solong is about half a pound heavier but 4 square feet larger and has two small vestibules. Those 4 square feet means two people can squeak in.

I'm leaning towards the Solong... but is it worth the extra weight and $83 higher price tag?

I've never carried anything heavier than lunch on a hike. How much will half a pound matter?

bfayer
02-17-2014, 20:25
I've never carried anything heavier than lunch on a hike. How much will half a pound matter?

A half a pound equals a cup of water. While weight is important, you need to keep it in perspective. No reason to carry the extra weight just to carry it, but you need the extra room, there is no reason not to carry it.

Tuckahoe
02-17-2014, 20:35
With your criteria in mind and considering the Lightheart SoLong, why not the Duo? It'll have the same issues of the Solong when compared to the Lunar Solo. But it is an actual 2 person tent, leaving plenty of room for you, your dog and a possible friend... maybe even room for a bar :p

garlic08
02-17-2014, 20:37
...How much will half a pound matter?

That's a huge question. You can tell those who think it doesn't matter--their packs are heavy. If you save ounces, pounds will drop off. The average packing list has about 60 line items. An ounce or two on each item means over five pounds, and that starts to matter. One way to tell if half a pound matters--fill a water bottle with enough water to weigh half a pound and carry it in your hand all day, everywhere.

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 20:44
The weight of the SoLong 6 is now a little bit higher, The website is getting a facelift very soon and new info posted. I am using a slightly heavier mesh as the super lightweight stuff just wan't holding up to use, and a slightly larger fly and even better fabric - it's rated over 4000mmHH - and, it's not slick and slippery like the old silnylon. All of this brought the weight up to 2 lb 2 oz after seam sealing. I think you will be better off in the SoLong than the Duo - it's got more head room, foot room etc.

With your criteria in mind and considering the Lightheart SoLong, why not the Duo? It'll have the same issues of the Solong when compared to the Lunar Solo. But it is an actual 2 person tent, leaving plenty of room for you, your dog and a possible friend... maybe even room for a bar
That's what I had started thinking. But I talked to Judy from LightHeart Gear and she suggested the Solong instead since it has sturdier netting and is still large enough for two people and a dog.

I also like the look of the Solong more... it has a more appealing shape and color choice.

Coffee
02-17-2014, 20:52
Half a pound is not an insignificant amount of weight. Having assembled a "modern" kit over the past year, I'll say that it is much easier to keep base weight low before you own a bunch of gear rather than realizing later that the total is too high and then figuring out how to cut ounces. People regularly pay $20 or more per ounce of weight savings in gear swaps. While I'm happy with my gear overall, if I could do it over again, my base weight would probably be a couple of pounds lighter. Does that matter? It would to me but there are plenty of people (actually the majority) who are perfectly happy without the lightest gear.

On on the subject of shelters, one piece of gear that I absolutely would buy again is the zpacks Hexamid Twin. I suffered from sticker shock initially but it was worth it for me. Plenty of room for a solo hiker and all gear, a dog if I had one, and another person if on friendly terms.

Tuckahoe
02-17-2014, 20:57
That's what I had started thinking. But I talked to Judy from LightHeart Gear and she suggested the Solong instead since it has sturdier netting and is still large enough for two people and a dog.

I also like the look of the Solong more... it has a more appealing shape and color choice.

Cool. Good to know.

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 21:03
On on the subject of shelters, one piece of gear that I absolutely would buy again is the zpacks Hexamid Twin. I suffered from sticker shock initially but it was worth it for me. Plenty of room for a solo hiker and all gear, a dog if I had one, and another person if on friendly terms.
I googled ZPacks Hexamid and there's noooo way I'd buy that. It's super translucent! People would be able to watch me undress!

Now I'm worried about other light weight tents. How see-thru are they??

bfayer
02-17-2014, 21:04
That's a huge question. You can tell those who think it doesn't matter--their packs are heavy. If you save ounces, pounds will drop off. The average packing list has about 60 line items. An ounce or two on each item means over five pounds, and that starts to matter. One way to tell if half a pound matters--fill a water bottle with enough water to weigh half a pound and carry it in your hand all day, everywhere.

With these tents, it is not a matter of finding a lighter option, since they are both as light as they come for the space without going to cuben or doing away with the bug net or floor. So the question is "does she need the extra space?"

Only Sierra2015 can answer that.

PS: Sierra2105, to answer your question almost all cuben is translucent. The Silnylon tents are not, although they are not quite opaque. No worries with the Lightheart.

Edited to keep it to the point.

Coffee
02-17-2014, 21:06
I googled ZPacks Hexamid and there's noooo way I'd buy that. It's super translucent! People would be able to watch me undress!

Now I'm worried about other light weight tents. How see-thru are they??
That's true... It is somewhat translucent. I guess that could be an issue in crowded areas!

Chubbs4U
02-17-2014, 21:11
Lunar Duos are on sale I believe

jeffmeh
02-17-2014, 21:51
If you are generally going to have GF and beast, then I would look at something with a bit more room than the solo tents. If that will be less frequent and you are willing to be tight when it happens, then it should be OK. Also look at the geometry of the floor, as for the same surface area some have more practical layouts than others. Figure out how the pads fit in it, and try to picture how you would use it with an intimate and dog, and how you might use it with someone with whom your are not intimate. Good luck. :)

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 23:33
With these tents, it is not a matter of finding a lighter option, since they are both as light as they come for the space without going to cuben or doing away with the bug net or floor. So the question is "does she need the extra space?"

Only Sierra2015 can answer that.

PS: Sierra2105, to answer your question almost all cuben is translucent. The Silnylon tents are not, although they are not quite opaque. No worries with the Lightheart.

Edited to keep it to the point.
Thanks tons bfayer. :) I think I'll go for the extra space.

That's true... It is somewhat translucent. I guess that could be an issue in crowded areas! Yeah! I'd get arrested for public nudity or something.

Lunar Duos are on sale I believe
Lunar Duos weigh too much.... And they're not on sale anymore.

If you are generally going to have GF and beast, then I would look at something with a bit more room than the solo tents. If that will be less frequent and you are willing to be tight when it happens, then it should be OK. Also look at the geometry of the floor, as for the same surface area some have more practical layouts than others. Figure out how the pads fit in it, and try to picture how you would use it with an intimate and dog, and how you might use it with someone with whom your are not intimate. Good luck. :)
She's not my intimate. :p She's a college friend and an old roommate. She's also a small girl, about 120 soaking wet and that's all compact p90x muscle. Lol. I'm as tall as a lot of guys but I'm nowhere near tall enough to need all the foot room the SoLong offers.

Unless something better comes along... I think I'm going to pick the Solong 6.

Whew. Thanks everyone!

LIhikers
02-17-2014, 23:43
Let me throw out one more option for you to consider. How about a Tarptent Rainshadow.
It holds me, my wife, and our 90 pound dog with room for gear too.
Our dog loves to lay down at the foot end where she gets her own window.
Also, it's great protection from both weather and bugs.

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 23:53
Thanks, but looks like more tent than I need at 42oz. I was hoping to get something at 2 pounds or lighter.

I'll take any suggestions though. Everything is helpful. :)

jeffmeh
02-23-2014, 13:33
Tarptent Squall 2 is light and very practical for two. I think the Lightheart Solong 6 is a great tent, but personally I would not want company in it. I think they have roughly the same floor area, but the Squall 2 gives you more useable width.

slovakiasteph
02-23-2014, 14:00
If you're looking for something for two people, I don't know how well a SoLong would work with the shape of the floor? I have a Solo. You said the Lunar Duo weighed too much? How about a Lightheart Gear Duo? I have one, 32 ounces. Great for two people, might be tight with a dog as well. The difference between the two is that the solo is double-walled but the Duo isn't...less worries about condensation with the former for me.

slovakiasteph
02-23-2014, 14:02
I might even be able to be talked into selling my Duo if that's what you want...now that I have the solo, I don't really need it. Don't think I'll need a two person backpacking tent...also not completely sure I want to get rid of it! :confused:

bfayer
02-23-2014, 15:38
If you're looking for something for two people, I don't know how well a SoLong would work with the shape of the floor?...

That depends on the size of the people. If they are both 6'2", they better like each other quite a lot :) If they are 5"7" or shorter, 2 people fit much better. I find it easier to put two people in my Slong 6, than in my BA FC-2. Mostly that is because I have two doors on my Solong, and it's side entry.

Sierra2015
02-23-2014, 16:07
I might even be able to be talked into selling my Duo if that's what you want...now that I have the solo, I don't really need it. Don't think I'll need a two person backpacking tent...also not completely sure I want to get rid of it! :confused:
Hmm... PM me how much?

mankind117
02-24-2014, 12:03
Despite all the (old) bad rap and confusing website I recently ordered a Big Sky Evolution 2P. The tent was delivered in about 2 weeks. It s a 2 person freestanding, double wall dome tent that weighs in at 3 lbs and uses silnylon like many lightweight tents. I'm very tall and it is the most roomy 2p freestanding tent I have every seen. I've used the TT rainbow but I have given up on single wall tents, too much condensation on the east coast. I also have a TT stratospire 2. That is also a great tent if you want a non-freestanding treking pole tent. It has a massive amount of interior space as well and on my scale is 42 oz.

HeartFire
02-24-2014, 14:20
Cuben fiber is translucent, and the lighter the fabric, the more see through. This is one of the reasons I use a green vs the white color. But, you really can't see detail inside the tent. If it's dark out, and you have a bright shiny light inside, yes, you will cast shadows etc, but if it's getting late, and dark, just turn the light out when you have to change - it's never been a problem. Also, if there is a layer of window mesh between you and the cuben, it tones it down more.

4Bears
02-25-2014, 09:55
Sierra, here is one exercise you could do to help you decide on which configuration will work for you. Take some masking tape and lay out the different shapes on the floor and lay your gear/sleeping pad out in them. While this is not 100% it might help you to better visualize.

Trance
02-25-2014, 11:40
Lightheart tents are worth every penny.

Just upgraded to a new SoLong myself from the Standard. The standard was great but at 6'2'', it would seem alittle cramped at times.

Well made tents.

Sierra2015
02-25-2014, 11:47
Lightheart tents are worth every penny.

Just upgraded to a new SoLong myself from the Standard. The standard was great but at 6'2'', it would seem alittle cramped at times.

Well made tents.
Yeah, I decided to buy new and support. (Though he offered a reasonable price.) I also thought about the possibility of troubles with the tent. And if I buy new I can always send it in to Judy for fixing. Helpful if on a thru-hike.