PDA

View Full Version : hammock hanging strap question

tarantolk
02-17-2014, 15:33
What are the best strap length for hanging while hiking the AT? Anyone who's had experience with this, advice would be greatly appreciated.

ALLEGHENY
02-17-2014, 16:13
What are the best strap length for hanging while hiking the AT? Anyone who's had experience with this, advice would be greatly appreciated.

I used tree straps. They help protect trees. I had 5ft straps.
Depends on what size tree and distance from tie off points.

SOBO_Pace
02-17-2014, 16:55
I carried two 12' pieces of 1" webbing that I got off of a construction side.. it was nice to have the extra length if all you had were really big or far away trees. I also used 10 or 8' whoopies slings so I could really cover some ground. In a couple place a uses every inch. Is be willing to ship you some webbing if you can't find any. They use the webbing when they deliver lumber or construction supplies. Your local lumbar yard may give you some.

SOBO_Pace
02-17-2014, 16:57
I carried two 12' pieces of 1" webbing that I got off of a construction side.. it was nice to have the extra length if all you had were really big or far away trees. I also used 10 or 8' whoopies slings so I could really cover some ground. In a couple place a uses every inch. Is be willing to ship you some webbing if you can't find any. They use the webbing when they deliver lumber or construction supplies. Your local lumbar yard may give you some.

Sorry I didn't mention I used the webbing as my tree straps then attached the whoopies to the webbing.

4eyedbuzzard
02-17-2014, 17:04
When I've taken the long ones (1" x 72") I've usually wound up wrapping them twice around trees because they're just too long. They still work just fine, but the 1" x 42" ones would probably be fine. There are a lot more smaller trees (12" diameter and under) than big ones.

Rain Man
02-17-2014, 17:16
I carry one "long" one (about 8') and one "short" one (about 4' to 6'). Usually the trees are different sizes, so I save some weight and have some flexibility. I also carry a short (3' or 4') Amsteel "dogbone" and can use it to (1) hang my pack off the ground, or (2) lengthen my straps (though this can be done in a crunch simply by passing a whoopie sling through the loop in the end of a strap and attaching it to the other end of the strap as per normally (I use a marlin spike)).

These hammock hanging topics are discussed at length (pun intended) on www.HammockForums.net, sister site to WB.

Rain:sunMan

scrabbler
02-17-2014, 18:02
I carry two 9' straps mainly to give flexibility in site selection. They weigh 4oz total, so it's not too much of a penalty. I really dig Rain Man's idea of the Amsteel dogbone, need to look into that, thanks!

1azarus
02-17-2014, 18:20
I carry one "long" one (about 8') and one "short" one (about 4' to 6'). Usually the trees are different sizes, so I save some weight and have some flexibility. I also carry a short (3' or 4') Amsteel "dogbone" and can use it to (1) hang my pack off the ground, or (2) lengthen my straps (though this can be done in a crunch simply by passing a whoopie sling through the loop in the end of a strap and attaching it to the other end of the strap as per normally (I use a marlin spike)).

These hammock hanging topics are discussed at length (pun intended) on www.HammockForums.net (http://www.HammockForums.net), sister site to WB.

Rain:sunMan

thanks, rain man... i also carry two different length straps -- mine a bit shorter, at 4'-6" and 6'-0"... i've never had a problem with that combination EXCEPT once, when it took me three site attempts to find trees that would work. i also use a marlin spike and whoopie combo, and wish i had thought of rigging it as you suggest that one time things just didn't want to work. you just taught an old dog a new trick, and i thank you for it.

Grey Ghost
02-17-2014, 18:55
How about the Atlas by Enos ? Has anyone used these?

scrabbler
02-17-2014, 19:49

Well, they are 11oz for 9' of length for $30. If you make your own strap, and use a marlin spike for adjusting, you can get it down to 4oz for about $8 - if you have a sewing machine to sew the loop.

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2014, 20:21
I now have one piece woopies with built in straps - I went with 5 foot camo for the moment. The owner of Woopies recommends 4foot on the east coast and 6 foot on the west. Quite simply the trees are bigger Please visit his website in PA and before you order visit all the videos on his connected site. Then when thoroughly confused - call him... can't ask for better service.

http://www.whoopieslings.com/

Night Train
02-17-2014, 21:25
I still have my atlas straps, I liked them, didn't stretch and were simple to use, until I discovered SimplyLightDesigns. Purchased a suspension set up from them and never went back to the atlas straps, keep them around as a contingency now.