PDA

View Full Version : Spring-summer quilt recommendations pls...

saltysack
02-17-2014, 16:37
Currently I have only 1 bag which I really like its a marmot helium 15 deg down.. I'm thinking about a quilt for spring - summer. Most of my trips will be done between Fl-Va on AT & FT. I also hope to do a thru on the JMT late summer. I figured I could let my wife use helium during spring etc as she gets cold easily but what temp rating/brand do y'all recommend??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winger
02-17-2014, 16:40
45-50 degrees and I will soon be ordering a 50 degree 850 fill UGQ.

Tuckahoe
02-17-2014, 16:57
You might find a quilt from either Enlightened Equipment, UGQ Outdoor Equipment, or Jacks-r-Better

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/
http://www.undergroundquilts.com/default.html
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

On the non-quilt side of things I have used a Deuter Dreamlite 500.
http://www.activejunky.com/thefix/trail-tested-deuter-dreamlite-500-sleeping-bag-article469

LAF
02-17-2014, 17:06
Katabatic (http://katabaticgear.com) gear makes some awesome quilts as well. the one drawback with theirs is it's a closed footbox. EE gives the option of closed or not. I have an EE for summer and a Katabatic for use in the colder temps (20). Both good quilts, both different designs. I really like the katabatic method of attaching to your pad, and I like the collar for the colder temps.

Coffee
02-17-2014, 18:01
Currently I have only 1 bag which I really like its a marmot helium 15 deg down.. I'm thinking about a quilt for spring - summer. Most of my trips will be done between Fl-Va on AT & FT. I also hope to do a thru on the JMT late summer. I figured I could let my wife use helium during spring etc as she gets cold easily but what temp rating/brand do y'all recommend??

I also have the Helium and it worked out pretty well on the JMT last year (late August-mid September).

Prime Time
02-17-2014, 18:13
I use a Jacks-r-Better Shennandoah 45 degree quilt and love it.

Odd Man Out
02-17-2014, 18:20
As soon as I pay this month's credit card bill (which has my tent on it), I plan to get an UGQ 40 deg quilt with overstuff for three-season use. I like that they offer water proof down for not too much more $ than regular down.

Shonryu
02-17-2014, 20:00
I use a Hammock Gear Burro TQ. I couldn't be more happier with it for the weight and the price. The quilts are 850 Goose Down filled. Adam is using Argon on his quilts which makes them lighter, more breathable, and I like the way the material feels. He offers the option for sewn through or snap box foot boxes. If your a side sleeper like myself I would recommemd going with a wide version.

Night Train
02-17-2014, 20:08
I use a Hammock Gear Burro TQ. I couldn't be more happier with it for the weight and the price. The quilts are 850 Goose Down filled. Adam is using Argon on his quilts which makes them lighter, more breathable, and I like the way the material feels. He offers the option for sewn through or snap box foot boxes. If your a side sleeper like myself I would recommemd going with a wide version.
+1 on this TQ, have one myself, a little pricey with all the extras you can have put into it, but worth every penny.Bonus....USA made.

LAF
02-17-2014, 20:26
Ignore whatever I just wrote: I'm iPhone challenged

Second Hand
02-17-2014, 20:45
If your interested in trying something different, Father Nature Outdoors is a new outdoor gear company that is selling a newly designed quilt through kickstarter.

I have corresponded with the founder of the company for some time and he has reached out to several different experts and other cottage industry manufactures for advice and feed back.

I don't own one yet, but I'm about to order one. From all my correspondence w/ Chris, the founder, it sounds like a well thought out and quality quilt. I'm hoping this will be my go to for the long trail this year.

http://www.fathernatureoutdoors.com/store/p7/FNO_Integrated_Camping_Blanket.html

Full Disclosure - I do not work for the company or stand to gain anything from people choosing to buy them or not. I have written several blog post for them and I've exchanged several emails with Chris with feedback and advice from my own experience. If you do end up purchasing one and have feedback or just have questions about the product, feel free to email Chris. He is very open to feedback either positive or negative.

saltysack
02-17-2014, 23:40
I also have the Helium and it worked out pretty well on the JMT last year (late August-mid September).

Did u thru or section the jmt?

Coffee
02-18-2014, 08:02
Did u thru or section the jmt?

It was a thru hike. The Helium was overkill at the start of the trip but I was glad I had it toward the end. I doubt the temps ever got below the high 20s overnight. Water bottles never froze. The coldest temps were on the ascent of Whitney before sunrise and I exited later that day.

saltysack
02-18-2014, 08:07
How long did it take? I'm limited on days off. It is it feasible to complete in around 2 weeks?

Coffee
02-18-2014, 08:55
It would be possible with 16-17 mile days and no zero days. I took my time and averaged only 12 miles per day and took a couple of zero days and one near zero since it was my first hike longer than a week and I wanted to be conservative but I think that my pace could have been faster.

bigcranky
02-18-2014, 09:13
I, too, got a Jacks R Better Shenandoah Quilt last year. It's a 40-45F quilt that's often used in hammocks, but can also be an underquilt and a ground-sleeping quilt. It was perfect on my June section. I'd been taking my WM Megalite which was always way too warm that time of year.

saltysack
02-18-2014, 11:55
It would be possible with 16-17 mile days and no zero days. I took my time and averaged only 12 miles per day and took a couple of zero days and one near zero since it was my first hike longer than a week and I wanted to be conservative but I think that my pace could have been faster.

Bring from sea level and only hiking in se I'm unsure of altitude change. Tiring out faster etc. I've never hiked more than 4 days at a time do a little unsure

Coffee
02-18-2014, 12:11
Bring from sea level and only hiking in se I'm unsure of altitude change. Tiring out faster etc. I've never hiked more than 4 days at a time do a little unsure

I also live at sea level. I spent two nights in Yosemite Valley prior to starting with some day hiking. I then stayed at Little Yosemite Valley. So I had three nights at 4000-6000 feet before ascending to higher elevations. I had a bit of a headache (not even sure it was altitude related) over Donahue Pass but otherwise had no altitude related issues. It is better to be conservative with mileage and elevation on a first extended hike along with some zero days. IMO, sounds like you could do a nice section over two weeks without risking taking on too much. Yosemite to Bishop Pass to South Lake might work out well.

saltysack
02-18-2014, 12:12
Thx

saltysack
02-18-2014, 12:22
I also live at sea level. I spent two nights in Yosemite Valley prior to starting with some day hiking. I then stayed at Little Yosemite Valley. So I had three nights at 4000-6000 feet before ascending to higher elevations. I had a bit of a headache (not even sure it was altitude related) over Donahue Pass but otherwise had no altitude related issues. It is better to be conservative with mileage and elevation on a first extended hike along with some zero days. IMO, sounds like you could do a nice section over two weeks without risking taking on too much. Yosemite to Bishop Pass to South Lake might work out well.

How would you compare hiking difficulties as compared to southern AT? I realize higher elevations etc

Coffee
02-18-2014, 13:31
How would you compare hiking difficulties as compared to southern AT? I realize higher elevations etc

most of my AT hiking has been in northern Virginia, specifically in SNP where the AT is quite easy. The JMT is well graded and easy to follow but there is something like 46,000 feet of elevation gain and some of the passes are pretty high. So overall I would rate the JMT as harder than what I'm used to but I've read that some parts of the AT like NH and Maine are harder than the JMT.