PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Appalachain Trail and Pinhoti Trail Thru Hike.

ratherbclimbin
02-17-2014, 17:30
My wife and I are starting on Flagg mountian in Alabama (southernmost point of the pinhoti trail) and hiking north to the Benton Mackaye trail and linking up with the Appalachian Trail at Springer mountain and continuing north to Mt Katahdin Maine. While on the trail we plan to film a documentary and release it to the public via youtube shortly after the hike. We plan to start the trail March 1st and have a tenantive finishing date around mid to late July. We're very excited to meet many new people on the trail and look forward to seeing some of you out there.

takethisbread
02-17-2014, 19:20
I've seen u post this a few times. u both must be some strong hikers. looks like you'll need to average about 20mpd to reach katahdin by your finish date . I wish I had your ability. I hope to average a tad over 11 mpd, and 13-15 on days I actually hike. good luck to u both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagge Pants
02-17-2014, 19:21
Awesome! sounds like a great time. I'll be doing a Benton MacKaye Trail thru as part of my nobo Appalachian Trail thru hike. Hope to see you out there at some point.

Nick P
02-17-2014, 19:34
I wish you two nothing but the best, and hope to follow your progress. Are you planning to blog anywhere during it? I was originally planning on closing my SOBO thru-hike (starting at Katahdin on 6/26/2014) with a BMT and Pinhoti "kicker," but was dissuaded by the trail maps and info regarding the latter trails.

I hiked 110 of the Pinhoti in AL in a week before, and loved it, but at that time, once it enters GA, it seemed to degrade into a lot of road-walking, with unclear signage to boot. This is my ignorance speaking, I trust. How long will it take you to reach Springer? Any links to updated maps from Flagg to there at your fingertips (besides the PTA ones, that is)?

Nick

ratherbclimbin
02-17-2014, 19:37
I've seen u post this a few times. u both must be some strong hikers. looks like you'll need to average about 20mpd to reach katahdin by your finish date . I wish I had your ability. I hope to average a tad over 11 mpd, and 13-15 on days I actually hike. good luck to u both!

Thanks for looking at the post. Yeah we plan to start off slightly slower then pick up the pace after the pinhoti. We are Colorado hikers and spent the last summer climbing 14ers and training for this thru hike. It is our first thru hike but we are confident in our ability to finish. We are also flexible with our finishing date just in case things go slower than expected. We how to average about 20 mpd total but are willing to be flexible. We hope to see you out there and want to wish you the best of luck in your hike as well!!!

ratherbclimbin
02-17-2014, 22:08
I wish you two nothing but the best, and hope to follow your progress. Are you planning to blog anywhere during it? I was originally planning on closing my SOBO thru-hike (starting at Katahdin on 6/26/2014) with a BMT and Pinhoti "kicker," but was dissuaded by the trail maps and info regarding the latter trails.

I hiked 110 of the Pinhoti in AL in a week before, and loved it, but at that time, once it enters GA, it seemed to degrade into a lot of road-walking, with unclear signage to boot. This is my ignorance speaking, I trust. How long will it take you to reach Springer? Any links to updated maps from Flagg to there at your fingertips (besides the PTA ones, that is)?

Nick

We have all of the national geographics maps printed from the PTA website and we see that there are some portions of the Pinhoti trail that degrade into road walking, which is fine because it does seem like they are certainly moving in a good direction with creating new trails that bypass these road sections. Im not sure what to expect as far as blaze conditions and route finding. I do have all necessary maps, data book, and PTA guide for all sections. Im sure there will be sections that take some careful route finding but I am confident that we can navigate our way through these. I will try to keep everyone updated on my experience with this portion of the trail.

Mulberry
02-18-2014, 01:35
For anyone hiking through the Georgia Pinhoti, we want to keep letting everyone know that Mulberry Gap Mountain Bike Get-A-Way is less than 1/2 mile off the trail. We are on our 8th year serving all outdoor enthusiasts that need an oasis in the woods. When you come down the trail off Hwy 52, it comes out on Mulberry Gap Road/FS 18/Conasauga Road. You would make a left turn at the bottom of the trail to come to us. We are happy to receive packages for you to retrieve on your hike. We offer lodging, camping, home cook meals, supplies, hot tub, laundry, phone service, wifi and first aid. (oh, and beer and wine). We do like to have a heads up if you are heading our way. We are happy to pick up supplies specific to your needs and have them available if we know in advance. Please spread the word and know we are here if you need us. Happy trails!
www.mulberrygap.com facebook: Mulberry Gap email:[email protected] or [email protected] 706-698-2865

sfdoc
02-18-2014, 10:13
I've been contemplating the same hike for at least two years. I was going to do it this year (2014), but necessary foot surgery has forced a one year postponement until 2015. I'm looking forward to your documentary. Please keep WB (and me, if possible) posted as to your adventure. Good hiking.

Dogwood
02-18-2014, 11:13
The PT and BMT are easy to follow. Maps and trail descriptions are available. I used all of Mr Parkays maps for the PT(i got them free at the PT Alliance site) and the Nat. Geo. Trails Illustrated maps(s) for the BMT. Last yr I did the PT but starting at Trammel Speedway TH and hiked to the BMT junction and continuing on the BMT to Springer MT. If I did the AT again, what you are planning, is what I would do too - start early, like in Feb, at Flagg Mt or Trammel TH. IMO, it's a great way to get an earlier start in more mild climates, into thru-hiking shape quicker on more gentle terrain, and you get to hike 15 states rather than 14! There's some nice scenery in Alabama and you start out with availabilty of lean to-s. It helps in avoiding the AT thru-hiker masses too.

Some of the PT regulars involved in a more hands on way will chime in at some pt but last yr there were a few AT thru-hikers who did what you did - doing the PT first, section of the BMT and continuing on to Mt K. I don't know who they were or if they finished but find out who they were and contact them.

Dogwood
02-18-2014, 11:14
Check out Nimblewill Nomad's IAT hike.

ratherbclimbin
02-19-2014, 20:09
We will be posting updates to our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/ATConquered/266167216892819 (https://www.facebook.com/pages/ATConquered/266167216892819) , if anyone wants to see a little insight of the trail or would like to follow our continuous experience on the trail check us out. We will be starting the trail on March 1st and we will be keeping our page updated as frequently as possible. We will also be adding videos on our youtube channel that you can watch. The link will be added to our facebook page shortly.
P.S. if you enjoy our page like us on facebook it gives us tons of encouragement.

ratherbclimbin
02-19-2014, 20:54
Also our YouTube page link is http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnFX9jMfpgI69NVS2rIasQ for anyone who wants to keep up with our progress.

endubyu
02-20-2014, 09:12
I live in Alabama and hike the Pinhoti often. At one time I contemplated the same hike you're to venture on. Another consideration for me was to start at Cheaha and hike highest point in AL to highest point in ME. The degradation of the Pinhoti in GA prevents me from doing so. It will all be new for you however and I'm grateful that you're including AL in your hike. The Pinhoti in AL will be pleasant enough and a good start. Expectations (-: Enjoy your hike!

ratherbclimbin
02-23-2014, 18:12
Hey everyone our first video is up check it out on You Tube. We hope you enjoy it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvPWrbCl1g

ratherbclimbin
02-25-2014, 22:46
New video up today... Gear Shakedown.... Discussing our gear for our upcoming hike in 3 days. Enjoy!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHjtLp6P5qU

takethisbread
02-25-2014, 23:12
another gear video! my day is complete. ho hum.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-26-2014, 20:32
wash the tyvek in cold water in the washing machine it will take the krinkling noise out of it and make it much softer and easier to pack

ratherbclimbin
02-26-2014, 20:37
wash the tyvek in cold water in the washing machine it will take the krinkling noise out of it and make it much softer and easier to pack
Thanks I will do that tomorrow. Great idea.

madalync
02-28-2014, 18:58
Ratherbclimbin and I leave tomorrow morning to start the Pinhoti and AT. Stay posted on our YouTube channel for trail updates!

ratherbclimbin
03-06-2014, 20:24
We have posted a new video on Youtube it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqKZqUhQWkk
We hope you enjoy it!!!

Drybones
03-06-2014, 20:38
Where you guys at now?

Gonecampn
03-06-2014, 21:13
Awesome! We've hiked the Pinhoti and will complete the BMT this spring. Wishing you all the best on your adventure. I look forward to following your updates!

Sent from somewhere in the woods ......

ratherbclimbin
03-13-2014, 16:51
Where you guys at now?

We are at Cave Springs, GA as of today :).

Matt65
04-01-2014, 20:40
Any updates ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Matt65
04-03-2014, 19:15
Any updates ?

Here is an update from Facebook they posted yesterday:

We are in Hiawasee, GA and we are resupplying for our next big stretch of miles. Went 7 days straight walking and we are ready to take a break here. Just ate 2000 calories of McDonalds and feeling good. Going to try and upload today. We are having some serious technical difficulties and trouble finding good wifi.

Matt65
04-09-2014, 21:56
ATConquered
12 mins ago·
We are at Fontana, NC right before the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and we are super excited to start the Smokies. We needed this day of rest. Hope to see some black bears!!!

ratherbclimbin
05-20-2014, 12:33
Waynesboro, VA gets my vote for most awesome trail town so far. Free shuttles around town from alot of the kind folks here, the YMCA to take a free shower, great library, all you can eat Chinese buffet, and free camping. We are taking a rest day after some huge mileage days (21,32,22,26,28,21). We are tired but after today we will rest up and be in the Shenandoah National Park to conquer 104 miles in 4 days. New video soon