PDA

View Full Version : AT in New Jersey

Julio
02-17-2014, 18:24
I'm beginning a series of section hikes in mid March. The first one is planned to be Sunfish pond to Warwick tpk. in NJ. Anybody out there familiar with this section. I could use any info. Getting ready for my nobo thru hike in March of '15.

Meriadoc
02-17-2014, 19:55
Nice section. There are some rocks, especially in High Point, that can be slippery. Definitely make the stop at the Murray property. Annabelle's Pizza in Unionville is tasty.

mikec
02-17-2014, 20:01
Except for a few stretches, NJ is mostly flat. And there are a number of deli's along the way (as there are in NY) which make this section a fun one. Just watch out for snakes.

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2014, 20:15
Bundle up - it isn't warm at night!

GoldenBear
02-17-2014, 21:43
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7933-High-Point-down-to-Delaware-Water-Gap-Part-1
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95616-Section-hiking-New-Jersey-Do-I&p=1478221&highlight=#post1478221

HighLiner
02-17-2014, 22:40
What I remember best besides Mosquitos was "Joe to Go". He made a good sandwich but what quite the jerk. He does not like hikers! I don't remember where in New Jersey, but none the less...

Julio
02-18-2014, 07:09
Thanks Golden Bear. 2 good site referrals.

Rain Man
02-18-2014, 10:34
I could use any info.

If you'd like to see photos, here are some I posted from October '13, when I hiked all of NJ except last 10 miles--
Oct '13 NJ hike photo album. (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/18038982/)

Let me know if you have questions I can answer, here or by PM.

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
02-18-2014, 10:40
What I remember best besides Mosquitos was "Joe to Go". He made a good sandwich but what quite the jerk. He does not like hikers! I don't remember where in New Jersey, but none the less...

Would this be the place? As I recall, it was about 50 yards west of the trail, on US Hwy 206. It was closed as we came through last October after his business hours, so didn't have to deal with the reputation. We ate at a very good hiker-friendly local restaurant a couple of miles east. "Jumboland Diner," which I would highly recommend.

Rain Man

Julio
02-18-2014, 13:51
Nice photos. I am familial with a lot of that area. Just never hit the actual AT. This pic is a stretch I hike along the Delaware every autumn. Thanks for the post.

Slo-go'en
02-18-2014, 15:15
Just keep in mind there well could still be snow on the trail there in Mid March and there isn't, it's going to be really slopply hiking, although it is mostly a rocky trail. If your not commited to specific dates, work around the weather forcast to avoid late winter snow or rain storms.

Leanthree
02-18-2014, 16:10
Don't take your shoes off during your lunch break. I got orbited by a bear at ~40 feet while eating a tuna sandwich.

Some multitasking ensued: trecking pole clanking, tossing handfuls of pebbles at him (all that was available), while scrambling to finish my lunch (priorities!), get my shoes/socks on, pack on and walk away. Once I finished the sandwich, the bear moved on.

HighLiner
02-18-2014, 23:09
Yes Rain Man, that's it. I also asked if I could get my water bottles refilled and he pointed towards the drink machine. Not meaning to complain, it's simply my most vivid memory of NJ.

Schnitzel
02-19-2014, 09:27
I love hiking the AT in New Jersey - that being said, this winter has been a lot colder and snowier than previous winters, and it seems like once or twice a week there has been a snow event - with the most accumulation being on the AT corridor area in Northwest NJ. I say, go for it and enjoy, but make sure you bring spikes and other winter gear with you, because snow/ice is still a distinct possibility in March.

Julio
02-19-2014, 14:12
Schnitzel, Definitely going to be prepared for that. I live less than an hour away and I am used to the radical changes we go thru every spring. Snowed here today.

whiskeystick
02-26-2014, 21:47
Was on the road that leads to sunrise mt last weekend and there was a solid 2 1/2 feet of snow on the road and trail. When you hit 94 heaven hill farm has great ice cream and very hiker friendly. Im with the others joe to go is not nice to hikers skip it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobp
02-26-2014, 22:24
Unionville, NY is quaint, nice, and genuine. The puncheon walk between High Point and Unionville is neat. You haven't lived until you've hiked through an alpine swamp. And, of course, grab a set of NYNJTC maps,

Kolo
02-26-2014, 22:31
I'm headed to NJ the weekend of March 8th and have thru the 12th to do a little AT hiking, a bit of trout fishing and spend a little family time. I'm thinking I'll start around Blairstown area and do some day hikes. I'll report back the trail conditions when I get back.

rafe
02-26-2014, 22:34
New Jersey was surprisingly pleasant to hike and to look at. I enjoyed it! They keep taking you back and forth across the ridge, one mile you're looking out over the Delaware (or where you know it should be...) and the next mile you've get these beautiful vistas facing eastward. A smattering of rocks here and there to get you ready for PA. A pond or two. At Culver Gap there's a bar/restaurant with a beautiful view from the back porch.

Slo-go'en
02-26-2014, 23:27
I'm headed to NJ the weekend of March 8th and have thru the 12th to do a little AT hiking, a bit of trout fishing and spend a little family time. I'm thinking I'll start around Blairstown area and do some day hikes. I'll report back the trail conditions when I get back.

If your going to do any fishing, better bring you ice augger and snowshoes. Looks like another big snow storm headed for NJ and with this current round of cold temps, good luck. It doesn't look like it will warm up much in the next week either.

Kolo
02-26-2014, 23:46
If your going to do any fishing, better bring you ice augger and snowshoes. Looks like another big snow storm headed for NJ and with this current round of cold temps, good luck. It doesn't look like it will warm up much in the next week either.

There is a lot of snow up there. There are guys ice fishing 300 yards out from the boat launch at Round Valley. I took at look at the South Branch at Ken Lockwood Gorge and the stream is open, but it moving, full and fast. I haven't seen the Pequest yet, but I would think it's open. Besides, if they are crazy high, a bad day of fishing is still better than ...... well you know the rest.

takethisbread
02-27-2014, 09:17
New Jersey in March. sounds like a joy:(
I love the AT in Jersey, super easy and very pretty views , I would think march won't be great this year up on the ridge with all that snow .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiskeystick
02-28-2014, 01:22
Forcast for north west nj for 3/3 3/4 is another foot of snow....... Bring your snow shoes. I escaped to VT at the long trail inn for some good skiing this weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
02-28-2014, 09:23
There is a lot of snow up there. There are guys ice fishing 300 yards out from the boat launch at Round Valley. I took at look at the South Branch at Ken Lockwood Gorge and the stream is open, but it moving, full and fast. I haven't seen the Pequest yet, but I would think it's open. Besides, if they are crazy high, a bad day of fishing is still better than ...... well you know the rest.
Was fishing up at the gorge one year in late Winter, and that dirt road along the creek was iced over from melt water running down the rocks over it...as we were leaving a tow truck was coming in...someone went in the drink.:eek: Yikes That's a great fly fishing spot...best in Jersey, it's got every type of water, slow, fast, shallow, deep, pools, riffles, logs, snakes and rocks...a real delight.:)