PDA

View Full Version : A question

Feral Bill
02-17-2014, 22:41
While preparing a presentation on plate tectonics for my lovely HS freshmen:rolleyes:, I noted that the Appalachians do not end in Maine, or even Canada. They continue through Britain and Scandinavia, with bits in Portugal and Morocco. So, After hiking 2000 + miles, are you really done, or just off to a good start? Opinions please.

ocasey3
02-17-2014, 22:46
While preparing a presentation on plate tectonics for my lovely HS freshmen:rolleyes:, I noted that the Appalachians do not end in Maine, or even Canada. They continue through Britain and Scandinavia, with bits in Portugal and Morocco. So, After hiking 2000 + miles, are you really done, or just off to a good start? Opinions please.
Check this out: http://iat-sia.org/index.php

Hot Flash
02-17-2014, 22:55
Go hike the whole thing then. The International Appalachian Trail does exist.

Starchild
02-17-2014, 23:04
It is what it is at the time you complete it for there is a reason it exist as it does at that time.

4eyedbuzzard
02-17-2014, 23:06
Lots of interesting geologic history. There are three somewhat recent events, The Taconic, Acadian, and Allegany/Appalachian orogenies in what is now the US and Canada that geologists all seem to agree on, but then there are the Caledonian and Hersynian orogenies in Europe that may be part of one of those first rounds of mountain building. Add in perhaps the even older rounds of mountain building during the Grenville event. And other hypothesis that there may be links to the Andes and even the Shackleton Range in Antarctica.

Forget the Kennebec - you might have to ford the Tierra Del Fuego and North Atlantic to hike the whole thing.

Tuckahoe
02-17-2014, 23:18
Geologically they may be the same, but from the prespective of a historian I can't help but to think that climate and culture make them different as well.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 23:20
It's tough to get that ferry guy to cross the Pond.....

LIhikers
02-17-2014, 23:46
It's tough to get that ferry guy to cross the Pond.....

He'd have to add outriggers to the canoe :)

Prime Time
02-18-2014, 00:18
Hillbilly Dave would probably be game to do it though.

Mags
02-18-2014, 01:17
I prefer to think of them an extension of the Atlas mountains instead (http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=42841.0). ;)

So the real question is, after you are done hiking the Atlas mountains, are you ready to head west to the New World????

rocketsocks
02-18-2014, 07:00
off to a good start, geographic lines mean little to a Mountain, geology is his family and friends.

moytoy
02-18-2014, 07:13
"Off to a good start", irregardless how the plate tectonics work. :)

slbirdnerd
02-18-2014, 11:14
Off to a REALLY good start:

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Million-Steps-Nimblewill-10-Month/dp/0897329791