PDA

View Full Version : 10 days starting or ending at grayson highlands?

ksquared
02-18-2014, 11:43
Hey there, I want to do a 10ish day trip around the grayson highlands area. Either starting there or ending it even just turning around to hike back to the car if there are no good shuttle options. What do you guys suggest? North or south?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
02-18-2014, 11:48
i would hike south from Hwy. 603/Fox Creek to Dennis Cove rd. in Tennessee
i can provide a shuttle

Kerosene
02-18-2014, 12:15
That would be a lovely section. From Fox Creek heading south, Grayson Highlands is only 8 miles away, so you can adjust your start time to make sure you get decent weather through that section. You'll likely hit Damascus on Day 4, although if the weather is nice you might be tempted to cover more miles on any one day. I went through in early June 2007 and averaged well over 20 mpd, simply because it was gorgeous weather and lovely hiking.

You could take the Virginia Creeper Trail down into Damascus instead of the AT, and/or you could rent bikes when you're in Damascus and bike down the Creeper.

The section south of Damascus is about as easy as it gets on the AT. You could get to Dennis Cove in 3-4 days, or you could push on anonther two days to US-19E. Another alternative might be to get Lone Wolf to shuttle you a second time southward so you walk into Damascus from both directions, timing it so you can get a burger and a beer.

Lone Wolf shuttled me on my 2007 hike and I highly recommend his services. I used MRO for my 2008 hike as Lone Wolf was unavailable, and they did fine except I had to endure pick-ups of multiple hikers in the van on a rainy morning in October.

bigcranky
02-18-2014, 19:37
LW's suggestion is a very good one. Easy resupply in Damascus right in the middle of the hike, too.