PDA

View Full Version : Cheaha storm damage

blisterbob
02-18-2014, 16:25
Two of us worked half a day this AM clearing the Pinhoti from the Cheaha TH north to where
the Pinhoti crosses SR 281 (.2 mile) I am going back and work in that area the rest of the week.

I recommend checking with the USFS at Talladega or Shoal Creek or Cheaha SP before heading
out to hike the Pinhoti or any trails around Cheaha SP.

bad biscuit
02-18-2014, 16:42
Thanks for advice. I actually have almost a month before I head that way, but will be checking in before I head out.

ratherbclimbin
02-18-2014, 17:22
Two of us worked half a day this AM clearing the Pinhoti from the Cheaha TH north to where
the Pinhoti crosses SR 281 (.2 mile) I am going back and work in that area the rest of the week.

I recommend checking with the USFS at Talladega or Shoal Creek or Cheaha SP before heading
out to hike the Pinhoti or any trails around Cheaha SP.

What do you think the tentative date will be that this portion of the trail becomes hike able? We start off of Flagg mountain March 1st on a thru to Katahdin.

schlanky
02-18-2014, 17:33
I was thinking about going to the Cheaha area this weekend, so thanks for the status update, and thank you very much for the work you'll be doing the rest of the week.

Matt65
02-18-2014, 23:42
They posted this the other day on Facebook:

Cheaha State Park-Alabama
Feb 15 at 5:57pm ·
Please do not drive past our road closed signs or walk into the park. We are working to clean up the damage in our park. Your safety and comfort is our priority. We can not let you visit us at this time and place you or the crews in danger. Thank you for your cooperation. Call us for question or information 1-800-610-5801. We are doing our best to open Friday February 21, 2014. By Park Closed this does include trails.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Matt65
02-19-2014, 08:04
There's also a 50K Event on Cheaha this weekend. http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=24227

blisterbob
02-19-2014, 18:22
What do you think the tentative date will be that this portion of the trail becomes hike able? We start off of Flagg mountain March 1st on a thru to Katahdin.
I would not guesstimate when the USFS will get around to begin the clean up process. They are still discussing it.
I have reports that section 12 has a lot of trees on the trail.
Today 2 of us cleared 2 miles from 281 to Blue Mtn. shelter.
From what I can determine the worst is between McDill Point and Cheaha and this is in the Wilderness area.
Because of restrictions on power equip. I do not volunteer in the wilderness areas.

Matt65
02-19-2014, 19:39
37 minutes ago ·
Friday February 21, 2014 Cheaha State Park will reopen part of the park. It is with sadness we can not open all of the park at this time. Our cabins, chalets, improved campground and trails will need more work to restore these areas and make them safe for your use. We will have the store, hotel and restaurant open as of noon on Friday. We will have guided hikes/walks Saturday and Sunday for park visitors.

Drybones
02-20-2014, 08:58
Does anyone know how trail conditions are from the Heflin ranger station to Burns Trailhead, we have a Friday night hike planned from the ranger station to Lower Shoals and then on to Burns Saturday and Sunday, we may have some new to backpacking in the group and I'd hate to get them into something they would regret...thanks.

marti038
02-20-2014, 09:50

I'd try calling the folks at the state park. Blowdowns are a common occurence in Alabama, just not always in the same place. I don't want to suggest that blowdowns/icedowns are harmless, but they're hardly as trecherous as rocky mountain snow domes.

daddyslaw
02-20-2014, 13:55
I talked to Shoal Creek ranger this morning and she said that Chocolocco and Dugger Mountain areas appear to be ok. She said she has heard no one speak of any problems so far. Cheaha took the beating on this one.

golfjhm
02-23-2014, 08:58
Does anyone know how trail conditions are from the Heflin ranger station to Burns Trailhead, we have a Friday night hike planned from the ranger station to Lower Shoals and then on to Burns Saturday and Sunday, we may have some new to backpacking in the group and I'd hate to get them into something they would regret...thanks.

Did Coleman lake to 78 last weekend and was blowdown free.

Drybones
02-23-2014, 10:50
Did Coleman lake to 78 last weekend and was blowdown free.

Thanks.................

Matt65
02-26-2014, 07:24
5 hours ago
Our trails are still closed right now. We will have a Trail Workday this Sunday, and we would love for you to come join us as we work to clear and re-open the trails. We will meet at CSP Store at 9:00 AM March 2, 2014. If you are interested in volunteering please call 256-488-5111 or e-mail [email protected].

Matt65
02-27-2014, 08:00
Sunday, March 16 at 9:00am
About
Calling all Eco-volunteers!

Cheaha State Park in Delta, Alabama has a great deal of damage from the ice storm a few weeks ago, and really needs volunteers to help clean up their trails.

(Cheaha is close to Oxford, and is Alabama's highest point-also close to the beautiful Talladega national Forest)
We will be meeting up with Mandy Pearson, state park Naturalist, to do some trail work on some of the hiking/mountain biking trails there.

This year is Alabama State Park's 75 Anniversary, and it is truly a shame that this has happened to one of Alabama's oldest parks. If you can volunteer your time for a beautiful park and help them clean up the damage, it is much appreciated!

Cheaha’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheaha-State-Park-Alabama/439205140098

Date: Sunday, March 16, 2014
Where: Meet at Cheaha State Park’s Country Store
Time: 9:00 a.m.-2:00 (Central Time)
Things to bring: Plenty of water and/or sports drink, snacks/lunch, sturdy shoes.

Since we will clearing small trees and brush from the trail, we ask that you bring work gloves or any handtools, clippers, handsaws, or rakes that you have. We hope to borrow some equipment and gloves as well.

Afterwards(if we feel like it) we can explore a few key landmarks in Cheaha State Park, such as the Bald Rock Boardwalk, Bunker Tower, etc as the park allows(some areas of the park may still be closed at that time)
Please carpool if at all possible!

No-Shows: As with all Meetup's, please be polite -- if you are a YES RSVP, please show up. If you can't make it, change your YES to a NO as soon as possible. Please don't be a "no-show!"

Please make every effort to arrive on time so that you do not hold up the group.

WEATHER: As with all outdoor events, if it's raining/stormy or very poor trail conditions, we may have to cancel. If the weather is questionable, please check this event page before you leave home or call the hike leader.

Hike Leader Contact Information:
Brittney: 256-601-7593

blisterbob
03-05-2014, 07:30
Last Thur. the USFS fire crew Cleared the Pinhoti south from the Cheaha TH for about 1 mile.
Yesterday John Calhoun and I continued where they stopped and cleared about another mile
to the USFS/Cheaha SP line just north of Mc Dill.
We met a hiker that told us there were many trees across the trail back to Adams Gap in the
Cheaha wilderness.
The good news is that all the trail runners beat down a pretty good path around some of the trees.

Drybones
03-05-2014, 09:03
We did Shoal Creek ranger station to Burns Trailhead this w/e, blow down not bad but needs some work, the section from Coleman to Burns is about like it was a few months back when we cleared it.

blisterbob
03-05-2014, 13:52
We did Shoal Creek ranger station to Burns Trailhead this w/e, blow down not bad but needs some work, the section from Coleman to Burns is about like it was a few months back when we cleared it.

Thanks, I'll pass that along.
I hope to get a report of all the sections from the Pinhoti/AT hikers when they get to Ga.