PDA

View Full Version : The most incomplete gear list ever!

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 06:54
I haven't bought anything yet. Still in the learning phase of gear buying and I'd hate to commit to a piece of gear and then find out later it was a waste of money. Any advice or suggestions on what sort of weights things should be is very welcome! (For example: I'm trying to keep my sleeping bag, tent, and backpack at about two pounds each. But what about something like a stuff sack? What should be my weight goal for that?)

Here is what I have worked out so far (not counting whatever deals that come along in the next couple months.)

Sleep system
Tent: LightHeart Solong 6 at 34oz.
Ground sheet? How much weight should I shoot for? I'm thinking MYOG via Home Depot.
Sleeping bag: Super Spiral Down Hugger 40° 18oz
Sleeping pad: Thermarest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad 14oz
Sleeping bag liner: I'm going to make my own. Either silk, fleece, or wool. Which is better? I'll probably make all three and use them at different times of the year.

Spring and Fall additions
Blue pad from Walmart. Does anyone have the numbers for this?
Quilt: I'm going to make my own this fall.... Not sure about the oz :/

Storage
Backpack: I have no idea what sort of bag I'll have. I think I'm going to buy that last. My goal is around 2 pounds... Is that reasonable? So a tentative 32oz
Stuff sacks: I'm "guessing" a combined weight of 6oz?
Liner: 2oz?

Clothing
I'm sooooo lost. I have to start from scratch. Everything I own is cotton! I don't even have a practical jacket.... I don't even own a sweater. Out here in LA if it gets cold I wear a cotton long sleeve shirt. I'm going to buy all of that in Nashville as the seasons arrive. And maybe make my own hiking rain gear. At least I'll make my own rain skirt. The ounces are a mystery!!

Here is what I think I'll need for weekend summer hiking: Hiking t-shirt 3oz?, sleeping shirt 3oz?, sports bra 5oz?, sleeping undershirt 2oz?, hiking skort 5oz?, sleeping base layer tights 5oz?, sleeping shorts 2oz?, two pairs of hiking underwear 3oz?, sleeping underwear 1oz?, sleeping socks 3oz?, two hiking socks 4oz?, gaiters 1oz?, some sort of fleece jacket 5oz?, sunhat 3oz?, knitted hat 4oz, and a bandana 1oz? That's 50oz altogether. Right?? Is that all reasonable??

Thru hiking additions would be: rain jacket, rain skirt, base layer shirt, gloves, down jacket, baclava, second sports bra, and maybe hiking tights? I was thinking I'd use a poncho too.... Or instead of a rain jacket. Or maybe the rain jacket will be a wind blazer instead and I'll have a poncho that goes over my pack too. I could make my own hooded poncho/ground sheet??

I'm also confused what I'll do when on a thru-hike and I want to wash my clothes. How does that work? I've seen some guys say they wear their rain gear. But there's no way I'd hang out at a laundromat with nothing on but my rain gear. What do girls do?

Electronics
iPhone: 6oz
Charger and headphones: 2oz
Maybe a camera for a thru-hike

Tools
Sawyer Mini: 2oz
Headlamp: What should be my weight goal??
First aid: I'm guessing about 8oz??
Rope: What should I shoot for? What's a good weight?
Map: 1oz for whatever map I need that weekend
Knife?: 1oz? What if I carried scissors instead?
Trekking poles: Is 16oz a good goal???
Camp shoes: 5ozish
Hiking shoes: nooo idea!

Cooking
Alcohol stove: http://www.hikelight.com/white-box-alcohol-stove.html 1oz
Alcohol in a bottle: Maybe 8oz at a time??
Pot/cup: I'm not sure what to do here... I want something lightweight but easy to clean. And doesn't cost a fortune. Suggestions are welcome!!
Spork: .5ozish
Lighter: .5ozish
Screen: 1ozish
Scrubby: .5ozish

Toiletries guesstimating/weight goals
Sunscreen chap: .5oz
Sunscreen: 4oz
Wet wipes: 2oz
Toilet paper: 2oz
Purell: 2oz
Face soap: 2oz
Hand and Body soap: 2oz
Deodorant: 2oz
Wide tooth comb: 2oz
Scrub glove: 2oz
Baby powder: 2oz
Deet: 2oz

My dog
Ruffwear Palisades backpack: they don't list the weight!
Leash: 5oz?
Bowl: 2oz

Extras for a doggy thru-hike
Highlands dog bed (maybe... it seems like a lot of weight for a dog and she'll probably end up using me as a bed anyway.): 14oz
Her own towel: 2oz
Dog pack liner: 2oz
Doggy fleece or wool sweater: 5oz
Booties:

Lots of guessing and empty slots! The bare bones of a first draft. Sigh.

Thank you so much everyone! Since I'm so ignorant I can't reciprocate your help, but maybe someday I'll get a chance to pay it forward. :)

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 07:03
Oh! I forgot to thank http://davidshiking.com/gear-list/!

I used his gear list as a jumping off point. :)

Maui Rhino
02-19-2014, 07:13
If you don't already have one, I strongly suggest you start by buying a scale. A postal scale or kitchen scale that can handle 5~10lbs will help you a lot in selecting gear. Some of your estimated weights are definitely on the low side. For example, a fleece jacket can easily weigh 12~16oz, instead of the 5oz you are estimating. Other forms of insulation can be lighter for the same warmth. The gear list you referenced uses a lot of expensive cuben fiber to cut weight. Whats your budget? I'm sure others with far more UL experience than I will chime in with specific gear recommendations.

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 07:18
If you don't already have one, I strongly suggest you start by buying a scale. A postal scale or kitchen scale that can handle 5~10lbs will help you a lot in selecting gear. Some of your estimated weights are definitely on the low side. For example, a fleece jacket can easily weigh 12~16oz, instead of the 5oz you are estimating. Other forms of insulation can be lighter for the same warmth. I'm sure others with far more UL experience than I will chime in with specific gear recommendations.
I do have a food scale, but it's in a box waiting to be moved to Nashville. Haha.

The problem is I don't have the fleece jacket yet! :p

Rocket Jones
02-19-2014, 07:22
My thoughts as I quick-scan your list...

1. You really don't need a ground cloth for your tent. Use some care when selecting your site and you'll be fine. If you take one, use thin painter's plastic drop cloth.

2. I prefer a separate camera besides carrying my phone.

3. Headlamp. I don't worry much about the weight here. You can get a decent cheapy from Wally World. I used one for years before Santa brought me a Petzl. I'd suggest that your headlight use the same battery type as your camera and/or mp3 player if you carry them (all mine take AAA). And for a headlamp, the red light is useful and courteous when in a group.

4. First Aid kit. My kit weighs about 2oz and includes a few bandages, some luekotape, burn cream, sanitizer, immodium, benadryl and tylenol.

5. Take ear plugs. People snore and the woods can be noisy.

6. Rope. For a bear bag, find braided mason's line at the hardware store. Plenty strong, compact and light. 50' is plenty. I sometimes carry some parachute cord as well. 10-20' for clothesline, etc.

7. Pot and cup. Can't beat the KMart Grease Pot. I like the REI plastic camp cup. It's got markings inside to measure liquids too.

8. Can't stand sporks. Get a long handled spoon, it's all you need.

9. Scrubby. Get a piece of plastic mesh from a bag of onions or oranges. Works great as a scrubby, and doubles as a rock bag when you need to throw your bear bag line.

10. Too much soap. Too many soaps. Take a small bottle of CampSuds or Dr. Bronners and save the special soaps for town. Deodorant is useless weight. Scrub glove?

Try some short trips, and note which gear you actually use. You'll figure out what works for you soon enough.

My .02.

HikerMom58
02-19-2014, 07:41
I like my spork.

I have to carry deodorant. If you don't end up needing it for yourself, give it to the ones that can't live without it.

Believe me, there are some people that really shouldn't EVER stop using it. This one hiker was advised to ditch his deodorant at Mountain Crossing. That was a very BAD idea. Every single hiker that was hiking with him agreed. :p

lonehiker
02-19-2014, 07:44
My blue pad from Walmart, trimmed to about 3/4 length, weighs 4.5 oz.

Go on a few trips without deodorant then decide. I always carry it.

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 08:15
@ Maui Rhino: I don't really have a budget other than trying to do this as economically as possible. Vague idea of 1,000 on gear, but I think I have to expand that.

@ Rocket Jones: thanks for such an information filled reply! I'll probably follow all your advice except in regards to soap. I have super sensitive skin that rashes and peels when I use regular body soap on my face. I use an Aveeno no-fragrance, low suds bar soap for sensitive skin. And I'll probably have a more robust first aid kit than you.

A scrub glove is a glove that's used for showering. Kinda like a synthetic washcloth cut in the shape of a glove.

@ Mom: I guess I'll have to try the spork and see. :p

@ lonehiker: Thanks for those numbers!

And about deodorant: I usually don't need it in winter, but I think I will if I'm tramping up and down hills in the middle of summer!

takethisbread
02-19-2014, 08:19
If you don't already have one, I strongly suggest you start by buying a scale. A postal scale or kitchen scale that can handle 5~10lbs will help you a lot in selecting gear. Some of your estimated weights are definitely on the low side. For example, a fleece jacket can easily weigh 12~16oz, instead of the 5oz you are estimating. Other forms of insulation can be lighter for the same warmth. The gear list you referenced uses a lot of expensive cuben fiber to cut weight. Whats your budget? I'm sure others with far more UL experience than I will chime in with specific gear recommendations.

I disagree wholeheartedly. put stuff in your bag, hike in it . get a pack weight u can handle and are comfortable with. this means practice with varying weights and then settle on a weight u can reasonably handle. gram obsession leads often to $$.

also what's your start date? that makes a huge difference. If it's mid April or later your starting pack weight and items will change dramatically.

take what u like take what u need and what feels doable on your back. David's list is a good for David , but frankly he might be stronger, slower , faster,ect, he is different . I hike with friends who are gram counters, and some who still carry 45lb packs cuz they like all the creature comforts of camp. and there's folks like me that don't think about it and jam stuff in a pack right before they head out the door, and do not worry too much.

one tip, if you are trying to go lightweight . take a small pack. it will naturally make u trim back . I use often a 40 liter pack. tough decisions . there are other times I use a 70 liter pack in cooler times (feb/march at start time)

good luck! have fun. you are so blessed to get this experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocMahns
02-19-2014, 08:24
Hey Sierra2015! I used this as a baseline to compile my list;
http://theathiker.com/things-you-need/

It was a helpful go-by, and my semi-final list can be found in the SOBO 2014 thread here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101663-Gearlist-for-my-June-SOBO-Thru-tell-me-what-I-m-missing

I haven't yet weighed everything individually, but my baseweight less food/water is 25lbs.

fins1838
02-19-2014, 08:40
I found you can listen to all these suggestions on here but your still gonna wind up with 3 backpacks, 4 sleeping bags, 5 sleeping pads, 2 headlamps, 2 tents.......................Well I did anyway.:)

fins1838
02-19-2014, 08:40
Its a work in progress.:banana:banana:banana

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 09:02
Hey Sierra2015! I used this as a baseline to compile my list;
http://theathiker.com/things-you-need/

It was a helpful go-by, and my semi-final list can be found in the SOBO 2014 thread here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101663-Gearlist-for-my-June-SOBO-Thru-tell-me-what-I-m-missing

I haven't yet weighed everything individually, but my baseweight less food/water is 25lbs. Ooooh, thank you!

I found you can listen to all these suggestions on here but your still gonna wind up with 3 backpacks, 4 sleeping bags, 5 sleeping pads, 2 headlamps, 2 tents.......................Well I did anyway.:)Bite your tongue!

Its a work in progress.:banana:banana:banana Are those bananas for my trip? :p

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 09:07
I disagree wholeheartedly. put stuff in your bag, hike in it . get a pack weight u can handle and are comfortable with. this means practice with varying weights and then settle on a weight u can reasonably handle. gram obsession leads often to $$.

also what's your start date? that makes a huge difference. If it's mid April or later your starting pack weight and items will change dramatically.

take what u like take what u need and what feels doable on your back. David's list is a good for David , but frankly he might be stronger, slower , faster,ect, he is different . I hike with friends who are gram counters, and some who still carry 45lb packs cuz they like all the creature comforts of camp. and there's folks like me that don't think about it and jam stuff in a pack right before they head out the door, and do not worry too much.

one tip, if you are trying to go lightweight . take a small pack. it will naturally make u trim back . I use often a 40 liter pack. tough decisions . there are other times I use a 70 liter pack in cooler times (feb/march at start time)

good luck! have fun. you are so blessed to get this experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I was thinking I'd start in March 2015. I won't know for sure until I get a lot closer!

I'm not a very dainty girl. I'm tall and nearly as strong as a farm girl. :p

I'd love to keep everything (including food and water) under 30 pounds.... I don't know if I'm on the right track for that.

Meriadoc
02-19-2014, 09:29
Step number one in choosing the right gear is figuring out how you want to hike. Takethisbread is right. Will you be more a camper (short days, hanging out around campfires a lot, strumming guitars), more a hiker (nonstop hiking dawn to dusk, 30 mile days every day), or somewhere in between? The lighter one goes the less creature comforts there are. My experience is that most people fall somewhere in between. Which means the gear you bring will very likely be good enough. Also, the gear you bring doesn't determine your hiking style or your hiking success. It just makes it easier.

Also you can usually sell gear here at a small loss if you decide to change tack. You can also usually purchase really good used gear by keeping an eye out.

To keep a backpack light, the best thing is to not bring extra stuff. With modern equipment it's easy to have a light pack. (As long as you stay away from super heavy packs and boots that are marketed to weekend warriors!) The lightest gear is the stuff that is left at home. Thus:

When you get on the trail, the following will happen: at Neel's gap you'll realize you haven't used some things in three days and send them home. A week later you'll realize there are another few things that haven't been used and they will be sent home. To forestall this, see if you can get out this summer/spring. At the end of the trip make two piles of gear.
Pile 1: Must bring (shelter, sleeping gear, first aid, fire)
Pile 2: Can live without (e.g. stove, extra clothing, soap)
Then, for perspective, separate Pile 2 into piles for (a) used during the trip (b) unused during the trip. Finally, decide what makes it from Pile 2 back into your pack. If it's not going to be used, don't carry it.
Your hiking style will likely change some over the course of a thru hike and that's okay! (At least, mine did)

I love your attitude! Here's a banana for you :bananaand one for your dog :banana (can dogs eat bananas?)

Edit: Explained how my response was actually an answer to OP's question :P

Weather-man
02-19-2014, 09:32
These gear threads really bring out the posts! I'd like to do a study on post topics vice volume of responses within a set time period. Must have something to do with Hiker's psychological profiles..:) Probably has something to do with control.

Tons of good suggestions already.

From the top...my .02 and caveat emptor!

- No ground sheet needed
- I'm not sure about the hugger bag. I like my bags a little wider so I can layer up as conditions change. Can you do that with the hugger?

- Backpack 32oz? I'd then recommend the ULA circuit though I'm not sure if it rides well for woman...?

- Clothing...think layers and fabrics that work as intended when wet (Merino and the poly-pros). Also think clothing "systems". My go-to clothes are Merino top and bottom (generally for sleeping and weight is season dependent), Nylon hiking pants and Poly pro hiking shirt, Marmot dry clime top, Ultralight rain gear (top and bottom) and a puffy layer. I usually carry a synthetic puffy but just bought a Borah down vest and will give that a try. Also a good hat such as a "wind stopper" fabric. With the above I'm good to about 25-30 degrees just standing around a camp site. No underwear for me....I was a commando and got out of that habit 30 years ago when moving around the woods :)

- Washing clothes on a thru is possible every 4-5 days if you want to NERO or ZERO. Other than that you can do a quick wash of small items in the woods (LNT..)

- I hate sporks! Long handled Ti spoon for me.

- Soap? Dr. Bonners for everything! To include tooth paste.

LAF
02-19-2014, 09:52
Hey Sierra - try talking with Wired about some gear choices. She's a member here, has a very nice blog (http://www.walkingwithwired.com) that includes her gear lists (and gear evals) from the CDT, PCT and her upcoming AT to complete her triple crown.

Drybones
02-19-2014, 09:59
I found you can listen to all these suggestions on here but your still gonna wind up with 3 backpacks, 4 sleeping bags, 5 sleeping pads, 2 headlamps, 2 tents.......................Well I did anyway.:)

You were lucky and learned faster than I..... I have 4 packs, 5 bags, 5 pads, 4 headlamps, and 4 tents.

Mags
02-19-2014, 10:12
The most important thing to do between now and 2015 is get out there and backpack.

Nothing will show you what works more so then actually getting out there and using the gear. A lot of people compile a nice gear list prior to a thru-hike. When they get out there and use it, they find it does not work for them. Perhaps a thicker pad would have been nicer than a blue foamer? Or that DriDucks just does not work for them....and so on.

I honestly would not sweat the gear too much. It is very easy to get caught up in getting The Right Piece Of Gear. Just buy lighter versions of traditional gear and you'll be fine overall.

Follow this basic list (http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer) and you'll be fine. I wrote in on purpose so it is not gear specific. :)

My one specific piece of gear advice? Get the best sleeping bag you can afford.

The rest you can fine tune between now and 2015 with all the weekend backpacks you'll do. If you have the time, I'd really encourage you to get in a week's backpack to dial in your system, too. Plus it is fun!

HikerMom58
02-19-2014, 10:17
Sierra-- you are so fun! :banana

About the spork- I like mine. I haven't tried to carry/use a long handled ti spoon. I might like it better than my spork, IDK. :D

When you carry the wet wipes, let them dry out before your hike. When you need to use them on the trail just hydrate them with some water. :cool: tip I learned from hanging out on WB. Thanks Violet... aka Robin. ;) Awesome gurl!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-19-2014, 10:39
And about deodorant: I usually don't need it in winter, but I think I will if I'm tramping up and down hills in the middle of summer!

Deodorant is nothing more than soap (or glycerin), alcohol and water. Rub some of your dampened soap onto the pits, let it dry and voila! Just remember to keep your soap clean (wipe the surface regularly) as fungi and/or bacteria can infest.

Are you sure all this stuff will fit in likeahike's Jeep?

bfayer
02-19-2014, 11:17
...No ground sheet needed
- I'm not sure about the hugger bag. I like my bags a little wider so I can layer up as conditions change. Can you do that with the hugger?

Weather-man, the MB Down Hugger sleeping bag is probably the best bag for layering on the planet (I have two of them). it is hard to appreciate until you sleep in one, but they stretch and contract ensuring that the open space in the bag is kept to a minimum but the down does not compress when you need more space.

Agree on the ground sheet if using it for the tent, but I like having something for sleeping in shelters. If I know I will be staying in a shelter, I carry a small sheet of Tyvek. it is also good for the nights where you want to cowboy on a ridge somewhere watching the stars.

Sierra2015, If you are looking at the MB SS UL #5, I personally don't think it will be enough bag even with your DIY quilt and liner, if you are looking at the #3, I think you might be OK with layering depending on your quilt. Being cold night after night gets old quick. And the mountains do get cold even in summer. Having said all that, if a lighter bag can keep you warm enough, there is no need to carry something heavier.

Also you listed rain gear in the thru hike list, but I didn't see it in the summer/weekend hike list. Rain gear should be part of you kit all year. Like I said It can actually get pretty cold in the mountains in summer and the rain shell helps significantly in retaining warmth. Take a look at dry ducks, very light and very cheap. They look like crap, but they actually work phenomenally well. About $20 dollars for both jacket and pants, you can probably dump the pants for the summer. The jacket weighs around 6 oz. and is pretty compact.

All the little stuff will work itself out, spork, spoon, scrubby, whatever... don't sweat the small stuff. As you know we can start world war three arguing about the correct length of a spoon (by the way I like sporks) or what type of soap to bring. :)

Your core gear (i.e. you pack, footwear, what keeps you dry and warm) is the important stuff. As for the pack, just get what fits and supports the weigh you carry. There are a hundred good choices, but not all of them will be good for you. My daughter loves her Deuter, I love my ULA. The only bad choice is the one that doesn't carry well for YOU.

Prime Time
02-19-2014, 11:41
You should be able to stay under 30 for the most part depending on your food and water needs at any given time. My base for spring hiking is just under 20 and in the summer it's about 16 and I'm not UL obsessed by any means.

For a pack I like, not love, my Granite Gear Crown 60 and it weighs 34 oz. Saw a lot of UL's out there last year too.

A cut to size peice of tyvek is OK for ground cloth and helps keep your sleeping bag cleaner if you wind up in a muddy shelter.

I'm a spork guy because some foods needs to be stabbed :)

I don't use any soap or deoderant on a long hike, just hand sanitizer. I'ts a loosing battle and becomes like "putting perfume on a pig". I do "bandana bathe" and soak my feet in water at the end of the day, then clean them with witch hazel and air dry them before putting on my camp socks. I am obsessed about brushing and flossing however.

I use a 3 oz. 2.5 inch Leatherman folding knife for all cutting needs. A must for cutting summer sausage, spreading peanut butter, some gear repairs...etc.

First aid? Duct tape on my hiking poles, then a little dissinfectant, a couple of band aids, some tylenol. About 2 oz.

slbirdnerd
02-19-2014, 12:42

This! It's a process.

HooKooDooKu
02-19-2014, 12:43
Sleep system
Tent: LightHeart Solong 6 at 34oz.
Ground sheet? How much weight should I shoot for? I'm thinking MYOG via Home Depot.
Sleeping bag: Super Spiral Down Hugger 40° 18oz
Sleeping pad: Thermarest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad 14oz
Sleeping bag liner: I'm going to make my own. Either silk, fleece, or wool. Which is better? I'll probably make all three and use them at different times of the year.

Sierra,
Have you looked into something slightly warmer than a 40 degree bag?

My bag of choice for hiking the humid GSMNP is the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina Synthetic bag. It comes in 45, 32, 15, and 0 degree models.
I own a 32 degree model that weights 2lbs and a 15 degree model that weights 3lbs. I saw that REI had the 45 degree model on clearance and considered purchasing that for a summer bag. But when I looked at the specs, the weight of the bag wasn't but a few oz lighter than the 32 degree model.

Now I'm not suggesting you change from Montbell to Mountain Hardware. But what I am pointing out is that as you go to warmer bags, the weight of the bag and not the fill material becomes the dominate factor.

So I'm suggesting you look to see if for a few ounces more you can't move to something close to a 30 degree bag. You might find such a bag to be light enough yet keep you warm over a wider range of temperatures.

psyon27
02-19-2014, 13:10
Check out http://www.geargrams.com/ even if you aren't obsessed with the weight of every single item. It is a good place to organize your gear into a concise list and provide weights for the big stuff if you want. On mine I have it broken down into summer, 3 season, winter pack lists. You can export to pdf to print out and carry with you to the closet as you get everything. Really cool free tool.

Ken

Happy44
02-19-2014, 13:31
Sunscreen chap: .5oz---------------------------------nope
Sunscreen: 4oz---------------------------------------nope/maybe buy on the trail
Wet wipes: 2oz---------------------------------------more like 16 oz -----------------------gone one day without wet wipes and you will see what i mean/ get bio ones
Toilet paper: 2oz--------------------------------------i never used TP once on the trail, if you need TP here and there public restrooms have some always
Purell: 2oz--------------------------------------------never used it for my hands once but it came in handy to start fires on warm days
Face soap: 2oz---------------------------------------NOPE
Hand and Body soap: 2oz----------------------------- ? NOPE
Deodorant: 2oz--------------------------------------- NOPE
Wide tooth comb: 2oz--------------------------------- dreadlocks / nope
Scrub glove: 2oz-------------------------------------- *** is that / nope
Baby powder: 2oz------------------------------------- make it GOLD BOND i actually carried the 10oz mega container, MADICATED for cold , reg for warm weather, a must have! #woods make u itch/chaff
Deet: 2oz---------------------------------------------NOPE/ CARRY 2 MORE OZ OF GOLDBOND

Happy44
02-19-2014, 13:35
Sunscreen: 4oz---------------------------------------nope/maybe buy on the trail
Wet wipes: 2oz---------------------------------------more like 16 oz -----------------------go one day without wet wipes and you will see what i mean/ get bio ones
Toilet paper: 2oz--------------------------------------i never used TP once on the trail, if you need TP here and there public restrooms have some always
Purell: 2oz--------------------------------------------never used it for my hands once but it came in handy to start fires on cold/wet days
Baby powder: 2oz------------------------------------- make it GOLD BOND i actually carried the 10oz mega container, MADICATED for warm , reg for weather, a must have! #woods make u itch/chaff
Deet: 2oz---------------------------------------------NOPE/ CARRY 2 MORE OZ OF GOLDBOND

mega edited my post,

Dadburnet
02-19-2014, 14:07
I found you can listen to all these suggestions on here but your still gonna wind up with 3 backpacks, 4 sleeping bags, 5 sleeping pads, 2 headlamps, 2 tents.......................Well I did anyway.:) And I raise you three sets of trekking poles+ a tiny battery lantern. ! Five days of food,3 liters water and 1000 ml of white gas... Find out what you want and buy on closeout or used. Ebay isn't too bad if you know what it is worth.

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 14:12
Step number one in choosing the right gear is figuring out how you want to hike. Takethisbread is right. Will you be more a camper (short days, hanging out around campfires a lot, strumming guitars), more a hiker (nonstop hiking dawn to dusk, 30 mile days every day), or somewhere in between? The lighter one goes the less creature comforts there are. My experience is that most people fall somewhere in between. Which means the gear you bring will very likely be good enough. Also, the gear you bring doesn't determine your hiking style or your hiking success. It just makes it easier.

Also you can usually sell gear here at a small loss if you decide to change tack. You can also usually purchase really good used gear by keeping an eye out.
I love your attitude! Here's a banana for you :bananaand one for your dog :banana (can dogs eat bananas?)

Edit: Explained how my response was actually an answer to OP's question :P
I'm going to be walking somewhere between twelve and fifteen miles a day. Because of my dog of course. (Which is what I'll tell myself. :p)

I really want to be efficient with my money. It's been hard earned!

I'm sure she'll eat it. My dog is more goat than canine. And she'll love it even more because it has a face to gnaw on. >.<

These gear threads really bring out the posts! I'd like to do a study on post topics vice volume of responses within a set time period. Must have something to do with Hiker's psychological profiles..:) Probably has something to do with control.

No underwear for me....I was a commando and got out of that habit 30 years ago when moving around the woods :)

- Washing clothes on a thru is possible every 4-5 days if you want to NERO or ZERO. Other than that you can do a quick wash of small items in the woods (LNT..)

- Soap? Dr. Bonners for everything! To include tooth paste.
Do you feel like you're in control? :p

The whole commando thing is NOT happening.

I love the idea of backwoods washing. But what sort of soap can I use for that? Is there a nature friendly woolite-like detergent out there?

I have to use a special soap. I have super sensitive skin that'll start peeling if it's too abrasive. Looks like a chemical burn. O.o

Hey Sierra - try talking with Wired about some gear choices. She's a member here, has a very nice blog (http://www.walkingwithwired.com) that includes her gear lists (and gear evals) from the CDT, PCT and her upcoming AT to complete her triple crown.
I dunno... Maybe. Her gear list is useful, but uber expensive!

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 14:17
The most important thing to do between now and 2015 is get out there and backpack.

Nothing will show you what works more so then actually getting out there and using the gear. A lot of people compile a nice gear list prior to a thru-hike. When they get out there and use it, they find it does not work for them. Perhaps a thicker pad would have been nicer than a blue foamer? Or that DriDucks just does not work for them....and so on.

I honestly would not sweat the gear too much. It is very easy to get caught up in getting The Right Piece Of Gear. Just buy lighter versions of traditional gear and you'll be fine overall.

Follow this basic list (http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer) and you'll be fine. I wrote in on purpose so it is not gear specific. :)

My one specific piece of gear advice? Get the best sleeping bag you can afford.

The rest you can fine tune between now and 2015 with all the weekend backpacks you'll do. If you have the time, I'd really encourage you to get in a week's backpack to dial in your system, too. Plus it is fun!
Thanks for the link! :)

I'm still in denial about the bags... Sigh.

About the spork- I like mine. I haven't tried to carry/use a long handled ti spoon. I might like it better than my spork, IDK. :D

When you carry the wet wipes, let them dry out before your hike. When you need to use them on the trail just hydrate them with some water. :cool: tip I learned from hanging out on WB. Thanks Violet... aka Robin. ;) Awesome gurl!
Mom... You're such a rockstar! The whole world should be filled with encouraging people like yourself.

Thanks tons for being so welcoming!

CarlZ993
02-19-2014, 14:24
With a 'what gear do I need on an AT Thru-hike' post will bring out a lot of opinions. Fortunately, with a 2015 start, you have some time to evaluate & acquire gear. Some equipment you can acquire pretty cheaply. Others will cost you dearly (quality down sleeping bag/quilt).

Your sleep system: The Solong 6 is a nice tent (buddy has one; it is big enough for him - 6'4" 270#). It might be more than you need. You might get by w/ a smaller/lighter/cheaper version. Your pad choice should suffice in all but the most severe cold situations. If you have those, your 40 deg bag won't be of much use for you. I saw a lot of people w/ 30 deg bags freezing the tutus off in March/April last year. I'd opt for a warmer bag. A nice Tyvek ground sheet is nice for your tent & shelter sleeping. Some of those shelters can get pretty dirty & muddy.

Your storage system: Liner = trash compactor bag. Cheap & tough. Twist the excess in an elephant's snout, fold it over, & use a small shockcord loop to secure it. Presto, dry gear. 2-lb packs can be small. Something around the 50-L size could be a starting point. The ULA Circuit worked really good for me. It weighed more than 2 lbs, tho. Sea to Summit makes some nice silnylon dry bags in various sizes. There are pricier cuben fiber dry bags out there that are lighter. Depends on your budget.

Your clothing system: I'd ditch the poncho idea. I'd recommend long underwear tops & bottoms as your sleep gear. Only wear it sleeping, never while hiking. Your hiking socks will get wet. Keep another pair dry for sleeping. If you wish to splurge, have an additional pair slightly warmer for sleep only. Gaiters are a preference item. I like them. I like a puffy, synthetic jacket for insulation (never worn hiking). They are lighter & more compressible than fleece (your weight estimate is too light). A knit cap should weigh well south of 2 oz. I found that a lightweight wind jacket (< 4 oz) was beneficial at the start. I didn't sweat as much while I hiked. Added extra warmth when layered with everything. As a guy, I used lined running shorts as underwear. More socially acceptable to run around in them alone than actual underwear. I hiked in long pants (zip-off style), wool short sleeve undershirt, long sleeve nylon hiking shirt, wool socks, running shorts, & trail runners while I hiked. If it was cold, I added my knit cap, gloves, & wind jacket. I was good into the teens as long as I was moving.

Your electronics system: Your phone could suffice as a camera. But, you'd get better pictures w/ a dedicated camera. You decide.

Your tool system: Sawyer Mini should work. Don't let it freeze (sleep w/ it if necessary). Headlamp = 3 oz or less; 3 AAA batteries or less; one w/ a red light is nice for those midnight potty runs w/o waking everyone up in the shelter. Cord = ~ 50' @ 2 oz or less should suffice for bear bagging. First aid weight is kinda heavy. Something for cuts, blisters, aches & pains, upset stomach, etc. I was surprised how little first aid stuff I used. For an AT thru-hike, I took maps at the beginning. Sent them home. Didn't need them. Got a map for the Whites Mtns. Some of the junctions were confusing. I was glad I had it. A small Swiss army knife (< 1 oz) should suffice. Includes scissors. I carried Croc camps shoes. Liked them. There are lighter options. Hiking shoes: I liked Brooks Cascadias. Fit my foot (got them 1 size larger). Used 4 of them on my hike. Got one blister. Can't complain about that. Hiking poles: Get a quality pair w/ no buckle on the strap that rests on your wrist. That will get old.

Your Cooking system: White box stove works. Cat food can stove works & is lighter (but more fragile). I used a small coke bottle (12 oz) as my fuel bottle. For a super cheap pot, pick up an Imusa 12 cm pot @ Walmart. Very light. Craft a lid out of tin foil or a disposable pie tin. Very cheap (<$5). You'll have to use your bandana to pick up the pot off the stove. Spork vs Spoon? Preference.

Your Toiletries: Lot of soap listed. One 1-oz bottle of Dr. Bonner's soap should cover your soap needs. You don't need that much sunscreen. A 1-oz tube should last you a long way (I didn't use 2 oz of sunscreen on the entire hike). Deodorant? Your call. I didn't carry any. I even got complemented @ Lake of the Clouds Hut in the Whites: 'You don't smell bad like most thru-hikers.' Lot of sponge baths w/ Dr. Bonner & don't wear your hiking clothes around 'normal' people. Deet: Not needed early on; definitely needed later.

Your dog: I don't hike w/ dogs. Don't weigh him/her down. You'll spend a lot of time looking for ticks. Pick them off & burn them w/ your lighter. Lots of logistical problems w/ dogs in the National Parks & Baxter park at the end (dogs not allowed). Can get costly to board & transport them. I'd not hike w/ a dog & use the money I saved to buy better stuff for me. That's just me.

Wish you luck on your hike. Just remember, what you carry between your ears will have more bearing on your successful thru-hike that what you carry on your back. Just don't quit unless something is in a cast.

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 14:47
Deodorant is nothing more than soap (or glycerin), alcohol and water. Rub some of your dampened soap onto the pits, let it dry and voila! Just remember to keep your soap clean (wipe the surface regularly) as fungi and/or bacteria can infest.

Are you sure all this stuff will fit in likeahike's Jeep?
That sounds like a good compromise! I'll have to see if that works for me.

I might talk him into getting a minivan for the gear. Then I'll see what he thinks about five kids. :p

Sierra2015, If you are looking at the MB SS UL #5, I personally don't think it will be enough bag even with your DIY quilt and liner, if you are looking at the #3, I think you might be OK with layering depending on your quilt. Being cold night after night gets old quick. And the mountains do get cold even in summer. Having said all that, if a lighter bag can keep you warm enough, there is no need to carry something heavier.

Also you listed rain gear in the thru hike list, but I didn't see it in the summer/weekend hike list. Rain gear should be part of you kit all year. Like I said It can actually get pretty cold in the mountains in summer and the rain shell helps significantly in retaining warmth. Take a look at dry ducks, very light and very cheap. They look like crap, but they actually work phenomenally well. About $20 dollars for both jacket and pants, you can probably dump the pants for the summer. The jacket weighs around 6 oz. and is pretty compact.
A 40° bag with a liner is too cool for June, July, and August??

Hmm, okay. I'll be sure to get some and see. I kinda hate unisex clothes since that just means it's cut for a man and I look god awful in men's clothes, but 20 bucks isn't that bad for trying it out.

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 14:59
I don't use any soap or deoderant on a long hike, just hand sanitizer. I'ts a loosing battle and becomes like "putting perfume on a pig". I do "bandana bathe" and soak my feet in water at the end of the day, then clean them with witch hazel and air dry them before putting on my camp socks. I am obsessed about brushing and flossing however.

I use a 3 oz. 2.5 inch Leatherman folding knife for all cutting needs. A must for cutting summer sausage, spreading peanut butter, some gear repairs...etc.

First aid? Duct tape on my hiking poles, then a little dissinfectant, a couple of band aids, some tylenol. About 2 oz.
Thanks for the pack suggestion. I have tons to try on!

You're not gonna talk me out of my soap! I think being continuously dirty would drive me off the trail more than anything....

Sierra,
Have you looked into something slightly warmer than a 40 degree bag?

My bag of choice for hiking the humid GSMNP is the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina Synthetic bag. It comes in 45, 32, 15, and 0 degree models.
I own a 32 degree model that weights 2lbs and a 15 degree model that weights 3lbs. I saw that REI had the 45 degree model on clearance and considered purchasing that for a summer bag. But when I looked at the specs, the weight of the bag wasn't but a few oz lighter than the 32 degree model.

Now I'm not suggesting you change from Montbell to Mountain Hardware. But what I am pointing out is that as you go to warmer bags, the weight of the bag and not the fill material becomes the dominate factor.

So I'm suggesting you look to see if for a few ounces more you can't move to something close to a 30 degree bag. You might find such a bag to be light enough yet keep you warm over a wider range of temperatures.
I'm set on buying quality down over synthetic.

I was going to buy the 40° bag for this summer. Then once I'm sure I love long distance hiking I'll see what I can make/adapt or buy better. The 40° will be useful whether or not I commit to a thru-hike.

However... Do you think a 40° bag with a liner is too cool for June, July, and August??

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2014, 15:36
Whatever are we to do with her Mom? ;)

Hey Sierra. Here's the old adage about thru-hiking:

Put all your gear in one pile.
Put all your money in another pile.
Now take half the gear and twice the money.

Yes, it's a joke, but one with a lot of underlying truth in it.
The amount of stuff sent home, changed out, or left in hiker boxes and along the trail is pretty amazing. As is the amount of unused gear that just didn't work out accumulating in many of our closets, as you have read.

One tip I didn't see yet is to wash socks and undies in a one gallon zip lock with a few drops of camp suds. Use it like a mini-washing machine. The caution is that in cold damp weather, like at the start of a thru, it takes forever to dry stuff. Often best to just wait until a town and laundromat.

I would prefer a 30° sleeping bag over a 40° for summer and late spring/early fall use. Ditch the liner, sleep in your base layer. Lightweight pajamas are an option as well over a liner and wont get all tangled up, but again, it's just one more thing you're carrying up every mountain.

Alky stoves are light, but they can be a PIA in the cold and especially in the wind. Lots of fuss factor and water that just won't get hot enough to reconstitute food well when it's really cold. I'm still not convinced the slightly lower weight is worth it over the convenience of something like a Jetboil or other good canister setup. If you're just boiling water, some of the cheap aluminum pots like the grease pot or IMUSA mug are okay, but I'd prefer a small "hard anodized Aluminum" or Titanium mug/pot with fold out handles. Raw Aluminum pots will leach out Aluminum if you cook any acidic foods in them.

Weather-man
02-19-2014, 15:37
Sierra, ref soap....I just use Dr. Bronner's for everything....clothes, body, pot, shampoo, etc... a few drops goes a long way.

http://www.drbronner.com

mak1277
02-19-2014, 15:39
Dear responders,

Pay attention.

She's not going to use Bronners no matter how many people suggest it.

Sincerely,
Reading Comprehension.

HooKooDooKu
02-19-2014, 15:49
I'm set on buying quality down over synthetic.

I was going to buy the 40° bag for this summer. Then once I'm sure I love long distance hiking I'll see what I can make/adapt or buy better. The 40° will be useful whether or not I commit to a thru-hike.

However... Do you think a 40° bag with a liner is too cool for June, July, and August??
I was not suggesting that you change to a synthetic...

If weight is your #1 concern, 900-fill-power down is the way to go. I have personally chosen synthetic over down because most of my hiking is done in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP)... a place that is so damp that I've been told a down bag can absorb water right out of the air... a place where I've personally experienced the fact that once something gets wet, it stays wet until you dry with the radiant heat of the sun, or body heat... a place with numerous unbridged stream crossings when you get down into the valleys.

But what I am saying is that for little or no weight penalty, you can wind up with a more versatile bag. You might even find that a 30 degree bag by-itself can be lighter than a 40 degree bag with a liner. After all, for a liner, you need another layer of material that wraps all the way around you. But to make a 40 degree bag into a 30 degree bag, you add a little bit more down and a touch more fabric (to account for the higher loft).

As for a 40 degree bag in June, July, and August... well, I don't know the weather patterns along the entire AT. But using the climate data for Mt. LeConte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Le_Conte_(Tennessee)), I can see that record lows at the upper elevations of GSMNP are in the 20's during the summer.

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 16:01
Check out http://www.geargrams.com/ even if you aren't obsessed with the weight of every single item. It is a good place to organize your gear into a concise list and provide weights for the big stuff if you want. On mine I have it broken down into summer, 3 season, winter pack lists. You can export to pdf to print out and carry with you to the closet as you get everything. Really cool free tool.

Ken
That sounds like it could be so useful! Can't access it on my phone :( I'll have to see if I can on my laptop.

Wet wipes: 2oz---------------------------------------more like 16 oz -----------------------gone one day without wet wipes and you will see what i mean/ get bio ones
Purell: 2oz--------------------------------------------never used it for my hands once but it came in handy to start fires on warm days
Baby powder: 2oz------------------------------------- make it GOLD BOND i actually carried the 10oz mega container, MADICATED for cold , reg for warm weather, a must have! #woods make u itch/chaff
Nope you're not going to use it??

I'm a redhead and I burn with just 15 mins of sun exposure. Even in winter. I had a redheaded cousin who died of skin cancer at the age of 35. I'm packing tons of sunscreen and I plan to liberally apply it.

I have super sensitive skin that starts to peel if I use strong soap. So I'm going to pack some extra soap for my face and body.

I plan to keep my hands as free of bacteria as reasonably possible.... Which means purell after I use the restroom.... Haha

No way am I putting my hair into dreadlocks! You're crazy! :p

I think I'll try GoldBond instead of baby powder..

Sierra2015
02-19-2014, 16:26
With a 'what gear do I need on an AT Thru-hike' post will bring out a lot of opinions. Fortunately, with a 2015 start, you have some time to evaluate & acquire gear. Some equipment you can acquire pretty cheaply. Others will cost you dearly (quality down sleeping bag/quilt).

Your sleep system: The Solong 6 is a nice tent (buddy has one; it is big enough for him - 6'4" 270#). It might be more than you need. You might get by w/ a smaller/lighter/cheaper version. Your pad choice should suffice in all but the most severe cold situations. If you have those, your 40 deg bag won't be of much use for you. I saw a lot of people w/ 30 deg bags freezing the tutus off in March/April last year. I'd opt for a warmer bag. A nice Tyvek ground sheet is nice for your tent & shelter sleeping. Some of those shelters can get pretty dirty & muddy. I was glad I had it. A small Swiss army knife (< 1 oz) should suffice. Includes scissors. I carried Croc camps shoes. Liked them. There are lighter options. Hiking shoes: I liked Brooks Cascadias. Fit my foot (got them 1 size larger). Used 4 of them on my hike. Got one blister. Can't complain about that. Hiking poles: Get a quality pair w/ no buckle on the strap that rests on your wrist. That will get old.
Oh my gosh! Thanks for your reply! Lots of info contained within. :)

The Solong is if I want to go on some weekend hiking trips with my friend. I also need extra room for my dog. Hence the larger tent.

I plan to go on lots of summer trips and this list is mostly for that. Do you think 40° and a liner is too cool for June, July, or August?

Whatever are we to do with her Mom? ;)

Hey Sierra. Here's the old adage about thru-hiking:

Put all your gear in one pile.
Put all your money in another pile.
Now take half the gear and twice the money.

Yes, it's a joke, but one with a lot of underlying truth in it.
The amount of stuff sent home, changed out, or left in hiker boxes and along the trail is pretty amazing. As is the amount of unused gear that just didn't work out accumulating in many of our closets, as you have read.

One tip I didn't see yet is to wash socks and undies in a one gallon zip lock with a few drops of camp suds. Use it like a mini-washing machine. The caution is that in cold damp weather, like at the start of a thru, it takes forever to dry stuff. Often best to just wait until a town and laundromat.

I would prefer a 30° sleeping bag over a 40° for summer and late spring/early fall use. Ditch the liner, sleep in your base layer. Lightweight pajamas are an option as well over a liner and wont get all tangled up, but again, it's just one more thing you're carrying up every mountain.

Alky stoves are light, but they can be a PIA in the cold and especially in the wind. Lots of fuss factor and water that just won't get hot enough to reconstitute food well when it's really cold. I'm still not convinced the slightly lower weight is worth it over the convenience of something like a Jetboil or other good canister setup. If you're just boiling water, some of the cheap aluminum pots like the grease pot or IMUSA mug are okay, but I'd prefer a small "hard anodized Aluminum" or Titanium mug/pot with fold out handles. Raw Aluminum pots will leach out Aluminum if you cook any acidic foods in them.
What do you mean what are you going to do with me! I'm an angel of a poster. 0:-) ;)

I love the idea of a hillbilly washing machine. Totally going to do that!

I need 30° even in peak summer heat?? This is mostly a gear list for summer test hikes. And a basic gear list fleshing out.

Weather-man
02-19-2014, 16:56
Dear responders,

Pay attention.

She's not going to use Bronners no matter how many people suggest it.

Sincerely,
Reading Comprehension.

In my case it has nothing to do with reading comprehension. It has to do with actually reading and I didn't read anywhere that Dr. B's was off the table. I did read sensitive skin....and Dr. B's make the "baby" version designed especially for sensitive skin.

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SENSITIVESKINCARE/OLBA02.html

Completely biodegradable and vegetable-based, our Classic Liquid Soaps Made With Fair Trade & Organic Oils have been called the "Swiss-army knife" of cleaning – usable for just about any cleaning task. These simple, ecologically formulated soaps are gentle enough for washing body, face or hair, but also powerful enough for tasks like dishwashing, mopping, laundry and even pest control. Different tasks call for different dilutions of the soap

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2014, 02:01
What do you mean what are you going to do with me! I'm an angel of a poster. 0:-) ;)

I love the idea of a hillbilly washing machine. Totally going to do that!

I need 30° even in peak summer heat?? This is mostly a gear list for summer test hikes. And a basic gear list fleshing out.The ziplock hobo washer works great in summer. For summer only down where you are a 40 bag will do fine - heck, a fleece blanket will often work in lower elevations when it's really hot. But usually the lower the quality of the bag the less they tend to be true to rating. I like a 30 as even in summer it can get down to 40 or lower in New England, especially at elevation.

HooKooDooKu
02-20-2014, 02:19
I'm a redhead and I burn with just 15 mins of sun exposure. Even in winter. I had a redheaded cousin who died of skin cancer at the age of 35. I'm packing tons of sunscreen and I plan to liberally apply it.
I'm not a red-heat, but do have very fair skin and burn easily, so I understand where you are coming from.

One of the things I like about hiking is that you spend most of your time under the trees... basically all day long shade. It's only the occasional times you're out from under the trees that you should find yourself in need of sunscreen. Even then, if your cloths are offering enough protection, you only need the sunscreen on your neck and upper arms and some of the face (like sides)... because if you are carrying a brimmed hat to keep the rain out of your face, the hat can help with sun protection as well.

So rather than carrying "tons of sunscreen", try looking for the small 1oz tubes you can frequently find for about $1. That should last you for several days worth of sun exposure.

HooKooDooKu
02-20-2014, 02:46
I need 30° even in peak summer heat?? This is mostly a gear list for summer test hikes. And a basic gear list fleshing out.
If you're only going to do test hikes in the peak of summer for now, skip spending money on a sleeping bag until you need it and simply use a bed sheet, cheap 50x60 fleece throw from walmart, or a cheap Fleece Sleeping bag (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41895) ($15).

But it looks like multiple people agree that when it comes time for a 'real' sleeping bag, you'll get more out of a 30 degree bag,

And as a previous poster pointed out, you likely will not be comfortable in a sleeping bag at its rated temperature. It helps if you think of sleeping bag ratings as 'survivable' ratings, not 'comfortable' ratings.

So a 40º bag paired with a +10º liner might only keep you comfortable down to only 45º. The bag on-its-own might keep you comfortable down to 50º, while the +10º liner might realistically only add 5º degrees of warmth.

By contrast, a 30º bag on-its-own might keep you comfortable down to 40º. So a 30º bag might be lighter AND warmer than a 40º bag with +10º liner.

The last time I ever looked into a liner for a sleeping bag, it seemed like the only good purpose they provided was keeping your sleeping bag cleaner. Otherwise, many liners are given poor reviews because the user doesn't feel like the liner added any warmth, or complained that most required you to slide into because most do not have zippers (it's like a large stuff sack).

Sierra2015
02-20-2014, 03:09
I'm not a red-heat, but do have very fair skin and burn easily, so I understand where you are coming from.

One of the things I like about hiking is that you spend most of your time under the trees... basically all day long shade. It's only the occasional times you're out from under the trees that you should find yourself in need of sunscreen. Even then, if your cloths are offering enough protection, you only need the sunscreen on your neck and upper arms and some of the face (like sides)... because if you are carrying a brimmed hat to keep the rain out of your face, the hat can help with sun protection as well.

So rather than carrying "tons of sunscreen", try looking for the small 1oz tubes you can frequently find for about $1. That should last you for several days worth of sun exposure.
Thanks, but I'll need to put sunscreen on everyday even if I'm under trees. It's debilitating if I get burned. 100+ fevers and blisters the size of your fist. (I have pictures to prove it! I once went on a canoeing trip and I forgot to apply sunscreen to my shins. One hour in the boat and two weeks of bed rest as the consequence. I had a fever for days and fist size blisters. I still have scars from that sunburn! Oh my god was that painful.) That and I'd rather not die an early death. Sorry about being so morbid! But I honestly worry about it.

And buying a bottle will save me money... sunscreen is expensive! Twelve bucks for a quality bottle.

Sierra2015
02-20-2014, 03:20
I feel lame.

Thanks for your help! I just am exquisitely aware of my skin and all it's painassery. I'm so pale I can't even find makeup easily. Even the lightest shades are too tan. I have to go to specialty shops and buy their lightest shade and then buy pure white and mix it. Lol.

Your sleeping bag advice is super helpful, I don't mean to just complain about myself. :)

HooKooDooKu
02-20-2014, 03:46
Thanks, but I'll need to put sunscreen on everyday even if I'm under trees. It's debilitating if I get burned...That and I'd rather not die an early death. Sorry about being so morbid! But I honestly worry about it.
I understand.

Growing up, we lived at the pool during the summer. So at the start of each summer, I got a sunburn. While my mother was lily-white allowing me to easily get burned, fortunately my father is a bit more olive skinned... that allowed those burns to at least turn into tans.

But still... after getting all those sunburns, I feel like it's not a question of IF I'll get skin cancer but WHEN.

As for your situation, you obviously know your particulars... and you've got to do what you've got to do. We're just trying to tell you what we've experienced. From there, it's up to you how you utilize the information. But in the end, it's going to take personal experience for you to learn what is required for YOU to go backpacking.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2014, 04:00
Consider wearing lightweight long pants and long sleeve shirts with a brimmed hat as well when it's not overbearingly hot. There are some really good innovative breatheable fabrics out now that block the sun very well. Many are cotton blends, so choose wisely, but for a lot of summer hiking the "dangers" of cotton aren't as severe as they are in colder temperatures. Just make sure to have synthetic insulating layer(s) and a dry synthetic base layer to change into if needed.

mak1277
02-20-2014, 09:24
4eyedbuzzard has it right...if you're that prone to sunburn then you'd be well served going with long pants and long sleeves.

lonehiker
02-20-2014, 10:01
And, better tick protection.

Sierra2015
02-20-2014, 10:14
Question! Okay... my dog has never had any sort of bug on her. Never had fleas and never had a tick.

I'm also terrible at applying flea/tick protection. I maybe do it once a year... in the summer.

She has a cedar smelling bed and I think that might be why.... Has anyone experimented with this? I'm thinking I'll buy a cedar shavings bag and keep it in my clothes stuff sack.

lonehiker
02-20-2014, 10:19
Treat your socks, gaiters, pants with permethrin. There are how-to vids on youtube.

lonehiker
02-20-2014, 10:21
I don't have a dog so don't know about how to handle that other than applying Frontline or whatever. But, your dog is going to have ticks on him. Would think this is covered thoroughly in the love my dog forum.

Studlintsean
02-20-2014, 10:55
I don't have a dog so don't know about how to handle that other than applying Frontline or whatever. But, your dog is going to have ticks on him. Would think this is covered thoroughly in the love my dog forum.

I agree here. my dog caught Lyme Disease a few years ago on the AT (he had been treated with Frontline but not right before the trip). I would def recommend treating your dog and doing a thorough search each night.

Sierra2015
02-20-2014, 11:24
I was thinking cedar for myself. She's starting a regimen this spring and I plan to update her shots and in addition get her vaccinated for Lyme disease before the move.

I always check her after we come in from a romp out in the big, wide world. Just... I never find bugs. Always burrs or cacti spines.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2014, 12:28

Bring the sunscreen....loads of it. The idea of the green tunnel is only once the trees leaf out, and only in some areas. The balds are brutal, as will be any ridgeline clearing, meadow, road, etc.. As one with acute sun sensitivity I cannot tell you enough times that there won't be enough shade. I got really badly burned at Greyson Highlands by being unsuspecting and unprepared.

Mags
02-20-2014, 13:30
Bring a wide brimmed hat, too.

Heeler59
02-20-2014, 14:10
I like my spork.

I have to carry deodorant. If you don't end up needing it for yourself, give it to the ones that can't live without it.

Believe me, there are some people that really shouldn't EVER stop using it. This one hiker was advised to ditch his deodorant at Mountain Crossing. That was a very BAD idea. Every single hiker that was hiking with him agreed. :p

Skip the deodorant. The idea that the only funk on your body is coming from your armpits is hilarious. Your whole body will stink. Embrace it. Also, take care of your dog. I backpack regularly with my dog( a blue heeler, thus my user name). Include items in your first aid kit that will work for dog, also. Benadryl, high quality sharp tweezers for pulling ticks, maybe a leatherman to pull out quills, stretchy wrap like Coban for cuts. I also use a product called Vet's Best Aches and Pains. It works wonders. Kind of like Vitamin I for dogs(ibuprofen). Good idea with the booties, but try to only use them when necessary. Dogs sweat through their feet.

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 15:49
No, seriously Heeler59. I can deal with the general hiker funk smell. But, you just have to take my word for this situation.

This hiker took a shower in a hotel room. He smelled so bad, just minutes, after he finished the shower. His armpits reeked! It was the same odor, that I remembered, a young boy next door had, when he needed to start using deodorant. I'm not kidding.

Blissful
02-20-2014, 16:04
My sample gear list (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2012/11/making-gear-list-and-checking-it-twice.html) for an early spring thru hike. Everyone's is different though

Rolls Kanardly
02-20-2014, 18:36
When you carry the wet wipes, let them dry out before your hike. When you need to use them on the trail just hydrate them with some water. tip I learned from hanging out on WB.

Hey HikerMom58, I was playing with my scale on the kitchen table checking out dehydrated wet wipes when I noticed a plastic RX container I had not thrown away. I rolled and folded three dry, wet wipes and stuffed them in the container. It only took 2 tablespoons of water to rehydrate. At this weight a wet, wet wipe would always be at hand. Rolls

Rolls Kanardly
02-20-2014, 19:05
This hiker took a shower in a hotel room. He smelled so bad, just minutes, after he finished the shower.

This is just an idea I have. Our bodies lose dead skin continuously. Dead skin absorbs sweat and body oils. Until these oils and such are removed hiker funk is going to remain. I bought a loofa pad at Wally World for under $2 and try to gently scrub everywhere. It works okay for me and adding a soap made for extreme smells adds another level of cleansing to a smelly body. Hair also absorbs moisture and if the pits are not getting a good cleaning the smell will remain. Rolls

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 20:50
Hey HikerMom58, I was playing with my scale on the kitchen table checking out dehydrated wet wipes when I noticed a plastic RX container I had not thrown away. I rolled and folded three dry, wet wipes and stuffed them in the container. It only took 2 tablespoons of water to rehydrate. At this weight a wet, wet wipe would always be at hand. Rolls

That's a great idea! I'll have to remember that! Thanks Rolls. :)

This is just an idea I have. Our bodies lose dead skin continuously. Dead skin absorbs sweat and body oils. Until these oils and such are removed hiker funk is going to remain. I bought a loofa pad at Wally World for under $2 and try to gently scrub everywhere. It works okay for me and adding a soap made for extreme smells adds another level of cleansing to a smelly body. Hair also absorbs moisture and if the pits are not getting a good cleaning the smell will remain. Rolls

Something like that was going on with him, he needed a loofa!! ;) He did not smell any different after a shower, poor fella.

Heeler59
02-20-2014, 23:22
No, seriously Heeler59. I can deal with the general hiker funk smell. But, you just have to take my word for this situation.

This hiker took a shower in a hotel room. He smelled so bad, just minutes, after he finished the shower. His armpits reeked! It was the same odor, that I remembered, a young boy next door had, when he needed to start using deodorant. I'm not kidding.

I think I know what you mean…..

Shonryu
02-21-2014, 00:32
Sleep system
Tent: check out a TT Notch 26oz or if you want to go lighter borah bivy and cuban tarp 13oz total.

Ground sheet Poly from Gossamer Gear 1.6oz

Sleeping bag: Consider a quilt its lighter.

Sleeping pad: Thermarest neoair xlite woman's especially if your a side sleeper 12oz rvalue 3.9

Sleeping bag liner: Get a 3 season quilt and you won't need one.

Spring and Fall additions
Blue pad from Walmart: Xlite will carry you through 3 seasons and mild winter dont need one. If you have a quilt dont need a sleeping bag.

Storage
Backpack: Recommendations ULA OHM, ULA CDT, Granit Gear Crown V, Osprey Exos 48 to name a few. All close to 2lbs or under and all great packs.

Stuff sacks: Think cuban roll tops and you will be under 2oz easy. I use one for food and one for clothes my clothes bag is zpacks roll top pillow so I get multi use. Everything else in zip lock freezer bags.

Liner: Compactor bag about 2oz

Clothing
Base layer top amd bottom - I use them to sleep in or layer with my hiking clothes for warmth.

Socks - 2 pair I like Darn Tough Vermont's

Hat - Mountain Hardwear micro dome fleece 0.8oz. I also use a Blackrock down for my quilt if its cold.

Buff - So many uses and can even be used as a balaclava to help with head and face protection if your using a quilt.

Gloves - So many options - I carry Golite liners or Terramore in warmer weather and a pair of OR that have stash pockets that hold a pair of waterproof shells. I forgot the name.

Jacket ideas - Mont Bell UL, Golite Selkirk, Patagonia Down Shirt, or Marmot Zeus for really cold temps.

Rain shell - Marmot Mica is one of my personal favorites.

Rain Kilt - Zpacks makes a really nice cuban one that I love.

Rain Gear - If you wanna go light and cheap check out frog t oggs UL Rain suit.

Wind Jacket - Mont Bell Anarak - Not necessary but I like having one and for the 2.3oz I like having another layer if I need it.

Here is what I think I'll need for weekend summer hiking: Hiking t-shirt 3oz - checkout Golite they have a running shirt and I like their sleeveless shirts, sleeping shirt 3oz silk weight base layer. Gaiters Dirty Girl gaitors are about 2oz Check out a mountain hardwear m icrochill t my mens med weights 7.2oz. Women's should be lighter. sunhat leave the sun hat and carry a buff and bandanna. Both have numerous uses. For 3 season I can keep my clothing system usually under 16oz not including my puffy jackets which weight between 5.6oz - 7.5oz depending on which one I take.. Rain gear jacket 7.5ozand kilt 1.9oz around 32oz total weight give ot take but Im a guy so my clothes are heavier probably. I this 50oz is a little heavy for 3 season but HYOH.

Thru hiking additions - I personally hate ponchos and perfer a rain jacket because I can also use it as part of my layering system. I dont use a pack cover because I use a compactor liner but I have been considering getting a cuban one since they are under 2oz.

Not a girl so I can answer your laundry question lol.

Electronics
iPhone: 6oz
Charger and headphones: 2oz
Maybe a camera for a thru-hike - I use my cellphone.

Tools
Headlamp: I like my pretzel tiki but I love my blackdiamond revolt.
First aid: 8oz is overkill. Mine is around 2.2oz
Rope - I use dynaglide. Strong stuff and light weight. I think 50 feet is like 1.5oz and has a 200 breaking strength.
Map: 1oz for whatever map - Make sure to cut off the excess paper :P
Knife?: I love my leatherman style cs. Has a blade, full function scissors, tweezers, bottle opener, file, and screwdriver 1.4oz

Trekking poles: is 16oz a good goal. Depends on what features your looking for. I use Leki Thermolite which weight about that but their are lighter options. I like the suspension in them.

Camp shoes: I dont bring a pair. When its TI to take my cross trainers off its time for bed.

Hiking shoes: I love Solomon Speedcross 3 with climashield. Make sure you get them a size bigger then your normal. Your feet will swell.

Cooking
I perfer esbit less trouble and fuel weights less for my needs. Esbit TI burner/pot stand 0.3oz with a 0.5oz TI windscreen. If you want a canister got Snowpeak maxlite or MSR pocket rocket which is a little over an ounce heavier. Alcohol codarea cone or fancy feast ;)
Alcohol in a bottle: Maybe 8oz depends on what kind of stove your using, food cooking, and how long before resupplies.

Pot/cup: Snowpeak Peak 700 or Evernew 0.9 cookpot. Look for a sale. If you wanna go cheaper look for Vargo TI or Toaks Ti on Amazon.

Spork: .5oz or less. TI will be around .5 and plastic less.
Lighter: Mini Bic
Screen: TI 0.5oz
Scrubby: I use a camping one and cut it down to about the size of my thumb weight 0.1oz. More than enough for me.

Sunscreen chap: Get a stick roll on. Weights less between that and chapstick under 2oz
Wet wipes: 2oz
Toilet paper: 1oz and take the roll out.
Purell: 1oz spray bottle is more than enough for me.
Face soap: Dr. Broners in a 30ml dropper bottle - This is your soap for everything. One stop shop.
Deodorant: - I dont use it. But if you plan on using it look for a powder it would be lighter and carry what you need.
Wide tooth comb: Travel tooth brush cut down 0.8oz
Scrub glove: Not necessary
Baby powder: 1oz bottle. Using the right socks, a liner if needed, and breathable shoes and you won't need it.
Deet: I usually carry 2 1oz spray bottles of Rapeel 100 DEET because I hate mosquitoes on exposed areas. Probably overkill. I also spray Permetherim on all my clothes and gear. Lasts for 6 weeks so you dont have to carry as much bug repellent.

Some additional add ons. 2 smart water bottles 1 liter each. I also carry a platypus 1 liter for my sawyer mini dirty bag and a 2 liter for camp water. Bear bag zpacks artic blast and an opsack. Haven't had an issue with mice using this system. A small button compass incase my bearings are off. For the 0.1oz weight penality its worth it for peace of mind. A very small flint and steel with a couple cotton balls dipped in Vaseline along with a coupme strike anywhere waterproof mattches. I like to know I have multiple ways to start a fire if needed. Matches weight nothing and my flint and steel like 0.2oz. Power bank back up charger. My headlamp uses rechargeable batteries and my cellphone that I can charge if needed. New trent has a nice one that is 4.7oz. Stick pic for taking pictures. Lots of vitamen I aka ibuprofen and extra strength fast acting Tylenol. Duct tape around your trekking pole. A million in one uses and a hikers best friend also part of my first aid kit. Small repair kit usually consisting of a needle, 2 safety pins, small ammount of fishing line, some thread, and a small bottle of super glue which can also be used for first aid. Warms temps a small snake bite kit. People tell me I'm crazy for taking one but the reality of things are there are rattlesnakes. I also take a small part lf a water bottle bottom that has been cut off for scooping water for my Sawyer mini. Like 0.1oz. I also use a small 3 cup tupperwear bowl that weights 0.5oz to eat out of so I dont have to worry about cleaning my TI pots or something burning on them. Micro lite 0.3oz Incase my headlamp fails. I hike solo sometimes.

Sierra2015
02-21-2014, 04:14
I'm going to bring an exfoliating glove with me. ^_^

Sleep system
Tent: check out a TT Notch 26oz or if you want to go lighter borah bivy and cuban tarp 13oz total.

Ground sheet Poly from Gossamer Gear 1.6oz

I looked at that, but finally decided on the Solong because it's so much roomier for me, my 65 pound dog, and my gear. I also plan to take lots of weekend trips with a friend of mine and she and I could squeeze into the Solong together.

Sleeping bag: Consider a quilt its lighter.

I was thinking of making one. How cool can you go with a quilt? I've been getting mixed reviews on quilts used anytime other than summer.

Sleeping pad: Thermarest neoair xlite woman's especially if your a side sleeper 12oz rvalue 3.9

Super helpful suggestion, I'll look into it.

Storage
Backpack: Recommendations ULA OHM, ULA CDT, Granit Gear Crown V, Osprey Exos 48 to name a few. All close to 2lbs or under and all great packs.

Thanks!

Stuff sacks: Think cuban roll tops and you will be under 2oz easy. I use one for food and one for clothes my clothes bag is zpacks roll top pillow so I get multi use. Everything else in zip lock freezer bags.

Sounds expensive....

Rain Kilt - Zpacks makes a really nice cuban one that I love.

Skirts are really easy to make. I'm just going to do my own.

Here is what I think I'll need for weekend summer hiking: Hiking t-shirt 3oz - checkout Golite they have a running shirt and I like their sleeveless shirts, sleeping shirt 3oz silk weight base layer. Gaiters Dirty Girl gaitors are about 2oz Check out a mountain hardwear m icrochill t my mens med weights 7.2oz. Women's should be lighter. sunhat leave the sun hat and carry a buff and bandanna. Both have numerous uses. For 3 season I can keep my clothing system usually under 16oz not including my puffy jackets which weight between 5.6oz - 7.5oz depending on which one I take.. Rain gear jacket 7.5ozand kilt 1.9oz around 32oz total weight give ot take but Im a guy so my clothes are heavier probably. I this 50oz is a little heavy for 3 season but HYOH.

I think I'm going to have to just learn through experience with this.

Tools
Headlamp: I like my pretzel tiki but I love my blackdiamond revolt.
First aid: 8oz is overkill. Mine is around 2.2oz
Rope - I use dynaglide. Strong stuff and light weight. I think 50 feet is like 1.5oz and has a 200 breaking strength.
Map: 1oz for whatever map - Make sure to cut off the excess paper :P
Knife?: I love my leatherman style cs. Has a blade, full function scissors, tweezers, bottle opener, file, and screwdriver 1.4oz

Thanks for those suggestions! As for first aid, I also have my dog to think of.

Hiking shoes: I love Solomon Speedcross 3 with climashield. Make sure you get them a size bigger then your normal. Your feet will swell.

I've heard this, but I'm worried about my feet sliding in my shoe.... Blisters are a pain.

I LOVE how you wrote me an essay! It's incredibly helpful to know how successful hikers do things.

Shonryu
02-21-2014, 09:38
Quilts are just as warm as sleeping bags minus the hood. When you sleep in a sleeping bag you lose your insulating properties on the bottom of the bag because you are compressing it.

What's important about a quilt is making sure its wide enough to accommodate your sleeping habits or you can get side drafts. I'm a side sleeper so I have to use wider quilts then someone who sleeps on their back. That was a mistake I learned when I first started using them. But another plus is that they have a lot more options often times then a sleeping bag for venting which is nice if you find yourself getting hot.

As for having a lack of a hood I make up for this with carrying a balaclava and a down hat. Things I would already carry to use that serve as multi purpose but without any extra weight. With a quilt if its at the right temp rating you will be fine and just like a sleeping bag a good pad makes a big difference with warmth. You can have a low degree bag but no rvalue in your pad and still freeze.

HooKooDooKu
02-21-2014, 10:37
Here's a suggestion for a starter backpack:
REI Woman's Flash 52 (http://www.rei.com/product/827065/rei-flash-52-pack-womens#specsTab)
I purchased the men's version about two years ago when REI had one of their 20% of REI branded gear. So I paid north of $150 for mine.
It's not going to be durable to last you a lifetime, but with care should easily survive a thru.
But the main reason I point it out is that it is cheap... <$90.

lonehiker
02-21-2014, 11:13
A pack like that should last years.

Sierra2015
02-21-2014, 11:37
Actually.... Maybe I will get a cheap pack to learn with.