PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof cameras

Honuben
02-19-2014, 11:23
Can anyone recommend a waterproof camera? I don't plan on using it underwater, just would like the waterproofness to protect it during rainy days. i like the panoramic feature on the sonys but reading reviews there always seen to be people who love them or hate them. I guess another option is to use a regular digital camera and bag it during rainy days. I plan on using it on my sobo hike this year so i have a few more months to decide.

bfayer
02-19-2014, 11:32
I love my Pentax WG-1, if I were to buy a new camera today I would get the WG-3 (the updated version of the WG-1)

I have taken it in the raft with me while whitewater rafting and swimming in the gulf of Mexico, works great. I really like the macro mode. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a removable lens cover (it has a fixed clear plastic cover) to protect it in my pack.

Mobius
02-19-2014, 11:39
I've been happy with the Panasonic Lumix series of waterproof/drop proof cameras. My TS-1 has seen a lot of use and abuse out on the trails and is still kicking. My wife takes her TS-4 underwater now and again with no issues. There's a smaller/lighter variant, the TS-20 and TS-25 that have similar feature sets.

michaelosborne
02-19-2014, 12:00
I use a Nikon Coolpix AW110, it has all the features of an outdoor camera like waterproof, shock proof up to a certain height, dust proof, won't shut off in freezing temps( although it does take a toll on the battery). All in all it's a great camera from what I've used of it since I bought it 3 months ago. It's really easy to figure out, takes great pictures, and really nice video It does have a panoramic feature as well either 180* or 360*. My best advice is go to a best but or other camera store and get the camera in your hands so you can check out all the features and how it feels to you.

Austin 2014
02-19-2014, 12:16
I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix AW110 as well after reading Amazon reviews on a bunch of different waterproof cameras. I was considering the Olympus Stylus TG-2 but read several reviews about a clicking noise you can hear when you play back video. The Nikon was about half the price and I liked it better when I compared the two models in my local camera store. I've only used the Nikon a handful of times, but so far so good! It's definitely easy and intuitive to use.

P.S. Forgot to mention two things I didn't like about the Nikon Coolpix. The charging cord and camera strap it comes with are ridiculously long and heavy considering this is an "outdoor" camera. I replaced both with more backpacking-friendly items from Amazon. The new charger I got plugs directly into the wall whereas the one that comes with the camera has what I swear is 4 ft. long cord. I bought a lightweight wrist strap to attach to the camera to replace the long neck strap that comes in the box. Hope that helps someone!

slbirdnerd
02-19-2014, 12:38
I use a Nikon Coolpix AW110, it has all the features of an outdoor camera like waterproof, shock proof up to a certain height, dust proof, won't shut off in freezing temps( although it does take a toll on the battery). All in all it's a great camera from what I've used of it since I bought it 3 months ago. It's really easy to figure out, takes great pictures, and really nice video It does have a panoramic feature as well either 180* or 360*. My best advice is go to a best but or other camera store and get the camera in your hands so you can check out all the features and how it feels to you.

+1 for this, it's awesome, takes a beating, great quality pics and HD video!!!

michaelosborne
02-19-2014, 13:24
P.S. Forgot to mention two things I didn't like about the Nikon Coolpix. The charging cord and camera strap it comes with are ridiculously long and heavy considering this is an "outdoor" camera. I replaced both with more backpacking-friendly items from Amazon. The new charger I got plugs directly into the wall whereas the one that comes with the camera has what I swear is 4 ft. long cord. I bought a lightweight wrist strap to attach to the camera to replace the long neck strap that comes in the box. Hope that helps someone!
+1 on that. What I did was cut off the neck strap and left a little loop on it which I then used one of those yellow water bottle holders that come on ULA packs that are a bungee like cord that works perfect for a wrist strap. As for the charger it is ridiculously long and bulky so I swapped it out for a Gomadic charger which plugs directly into the wall where your battery fits right into it and also has a USB port so you can charge another device as well such as a phone or other electronic.

BrianLe
02-19-2014, 14:00
"I guess another option is to use a regular digital camera and bag it during rainy days. I plan on using it on my sobo hike this year so i have a few more months to decide."

This is what I do, except for "regular digital camera" substitute "smartphone". For a thru-hike (presumably) why add the weight of another device? I'm guessing your SOBO is on the AT, so it's easier on that trail too to keep a smartphone charged, even when using it as camera along with other functions.

Where a smartphone bites is in trying to take far off shots of animals (no zoom) or fast action shots, but most shots I find myself wanting to take on the trail are still scenery or of other hikers or the like. I.e., the vast, vast majority of shots I want to take on a long trip I can take just fine with my smartphone. And then the resulting pictures are already on the device I want to use to post/upload/send them from.

In terms of waterproofing, my smartphone fits nicely in a snack-sized ziplock. Some of the bigger ones today might need a sandwich sized ziplock (or more?). It is indeed a bit of a PITA if I want to take a picture and the phone is in the ziplock, and you have to remember to put it in it on wet days (assuming that like me you get a packstrap carry case). But I find myself not wanting to take all that many pictures on rainy days anyway.

This approach isn't for everyone, but I've been very happy with it, especially as more recent smartphones have more credible cameras than they used to.

LAF
02-19-2014, 14:47
Olympus TG-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
02-19-2014, 16:23
I got the Fuji Film XP200 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fujifilm-16.4-MP-FUJIFILM-XP200/23115632) It is water proof to 50', Shockproof to 6.6', Freeze proof to 14* F, and dust proof. 16.4 Mega pixel, 360* panorama shots, wireless transfer to your smart phone or tablet/computer.

tarantolk
02-19-2014, 20:11
Waterproof, Shock Proof, Crush Proof, etc Pentax WG 2

Honuben
02-19-2014, 22:04
Thanks for the replies. As expected everyone has their favorites and the best thing to do is go back to multiple stores and just try some out. I have yet to take the plunge into the smartphone realm, as i can't take one into work because of the camera. My dumb phone (non camera phone)'s battery lasts 1.5-2 weeks without charging so Im kinda partial to that plus weighs only 4 ounces. As of now i am leaning to the waterproof camera but will keep my options open as far as smart phones.

Mountain Springs
02-21-2014, 00:19
FWIW, I have the Pentax WG-2, and it's good for a waterproof camera, but if I only was taking one camera, I'd go with my Canon Powershot sx230. There is no comparison in the picture quality and I've found no need for it to be waterproof in 99% of shots. I run whitewater with it (canoeing and packrafting) and a ziplock has done just fine. For taking pics in the rain I just hold my hat over it.

bfayer
02-21-2014, 07:45
FWIW, I have the Pentax WG-2, and it's good for a waterproof camera, but if I only was taking one camera, I'd go with my Canon Powershot sx230. There is no comparison in the picture quality and I've found no need for it to be waterproof in 99% of shots. I run whitewater with it (canoeing and packrafting) and a ziplock has done just fine. For taking pics in the rain I just hold my hat over it.

The WG-3 has replaced the WG-2. The picture quality is significantly better than the WG-2. You still get all the water, dust, shock features.

SunnyWalker
02-21-2014, 11:29
Nikon Cool Pix.