PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 vs. Copper Spur UL1

stevo
02-19-2014, 16:24
I'm hitting the trail going NOBO in late March and have recently been looking into tents. After reading lots of reviews and testimonies here, I am looking more in-depth at these two tents. Do any of you have experience with these two or maybe one or the other? Any advice about how to pick?

lonehiker
02-19-2014, 16:32
Think main difference is where the door is located (side vs end) and weight. I have the Fly Creek UL2, which is lighter vs CS UL2, and I don't mind the end entrance. Personal preference on that.

stevo
02-19-2014, 16:48
One of the main differences I noticed when comparing the two on the Big Agnes website is the vestibule area: 5.5 sq ft for the fly creek and 10 sq ft for the CS (UL1 in both cases). What is that referring to, and does it make a big difference in your opinion?

Weather-man
02-19-2014, 16:55
I looked at both and ended up buying the CS1. It just feels bigger with the dual back pole arrangement and the side door is much nicer for moving in and out of the tent, getting dressed, etc. There's a weight penalty but worth it, IMO.

bwb49
02-19-2014, 16:58
I have the CS, I looked at both and preferred it for the side door, easier to get in and out of in my opinion. The larger vestibule is nice and the extra 8 oz is worth it to me.

lonehiker
02-19-2014, 17:33
I only keep my shoes under the vestibule so the FC being smaller doesn't affect me. Just think this is preference. Both seem to be good tents and don't think you can really go wrong either way.

Last Call
02-19-2014, 17:43
I have both, much prefer the Copper Spur.

Astro
02-19-2014, 18:05
+1 to lonehiker, key difference is weight and the position of the door, which does bother me either.

I started out with the Seedhouse SL2 when hiking with my son, but recently switched to Fly Creek UL1 since now hiking solo, and I am very happy with it. I do not feel like you can go wrong with Big Agnes (good customer service also).

Astro
02-19-2014, 18:08
+1 to lonehiker, key difference is weight and the position of the door, which does bother me either.

I started out with the Seedhouse SL2 when hiking with my son, but recently switched to Fly Creek UL1 since now hiking solo, and I am very happy with it. I do not feel like you can go wrong with Big Agnes (good customer service also).

Ah, I miss my ability to edit. First line should have been does NOT bother me either.

HooKooDooKu
02-19-2014, 18:25
I've tried the FlyCreek UL1 and did not like it.
The door at the 'head' of the tent means that getting into the tent is like trying to get into a sleeping bag. Just didn't like the feel of that.
I also didn't like the walls. Just to TRY to keep the walls off of you, you've got to stake the sides of the tent to hold it away from you... but it still feels too much like a cocoon.

Now for a 1 pound penalty, you can move up to the CS UL2. That's the tent I just purchased for my general backpacking use. It's a tiny 2 person tent (requires 20" wide pads... doesn't have the room for anyone to use a 25" wide pad) that is otherwise a HUGE 1 person tent. CS UL2 also gives you two doors (and therefore two vestibules) where as the CS UL1 has only one door (and therefore one vestibule).

So while I'm not planning a thru, I decided on the CS UL2 as my general purpose 1 man tent. Tons of room for not too much weight (3-1/2 pounds trail weight when you add the ground cloth). Obviously heavier than a 2 pound Fly Creek... but for my use, the extra weight is worth it.

garbanz
02-19-2014, 19:46
I wanted a lighter tent than my Hubba-Hubba (great tent just heavy) over a year ago and researched them all. When I did the AT in 2011 the Fly Creek seemed most popular. The CS UL1 was relatively new and still yet many liked the older Seedhouse. I like side entry so I bought the CS UL1. It has done me well on an AT section hike and the SHT so far.

OzJacko
02-19-2014, 20:32
I have CSII. Hiked with a lot of people who used FCII.
Unless you are a very small person I would recommend the Fly Creek II as you will find either of smaller tents a tight fit especially in the wet.
The extra weight is well worth it.
I wouldn't swap my CS for anything though - great tent. CS is a bit more robust than FC.

CarlZ993
02-19-2014, 20:51
I own the Fly Creek UL-2 & 3. I like the layout of the CS-1. One buddy of mine on the AT had a CS-1. I was really impressed with it.

If I were to choose now between the Fly Creek UL-1 & the CS-1 (the CS hadn't come out when I bought the Fly Creek UL-2), I'd take the CS-1. The side door looks like it would be easier to get in an out of. A little more vestibule space. More vertical walls inside. But, a slight weight penalty.

I'd second the customer service of Big Agnes. I recently contacted them about my Fly Creek UL-2 stuff sack and pole sack needing to be replaced. They sent me both for free. Kudos for them.

HooKooDooKu
02-19-2014, 23:52
BTW, I've been watching for sales since Christmas... and it seemed like everyone has the Copper Spur and Fly Creek on clearance. I noticed that the Copper Spur seemed to sell out sooner than the Fly Creek, and the CS1 & FC1 seems to be the last size to sell out.

And for those that don't know, the specs for the CS changed for 2014. So if you see a CS on sale, it's likely a 2013 model and not the lighter 2014 model.
Here's the Trail/Packed weights for CS-2014 : CS-2013

_____ Trail(14) Pack(14) __ Trail(13) Pack(13) ____ Difference
CS1 - 2lb__3oz / 2lb__8oz : 2lb_11oz / 3lb__0oz ==> 8oz / 8oz
CS2 - 2lb_13oz / 3lb__2oz : 3lb__6oz / 3lb_13oz ==> 9oz / 11oz
CS3 - 3lb_11oz / 4lb__0oz : 4lb__3oz / 4lb_12oz ==> 8oz / 9oz
CS4 - 5lb__5oz / 5lb_12oz : 5lb__9oz / 6lb__1oz ==> 4oz / 5oz

Notice that the 2014 CS2 is only 2oz heavier than the 2013 CS1. So for all those that have said they loved their CS1, you can have a new CS2 for about the same weight as their CS1.

AT_Walker
02-19-2014, 23:54
I bought the FC1 last October in preparation for my thru. I returned it for the CS1 last month. The smaller vestibule and end entry were an issue, but what I really didn't like was the number of lines required to pull it into a usable shape. The CS1 is free standing and requires fewer lines.

Drybones
02-20-2014, 09:20
I dont have first hand knowledge of either, except the FC is too small for me at 6'1", but I would research the pole thickness if I were comparing the two, they may be the same but more durable poles would mean something to me, I broke the poles on an REI Quarter Dome setting it up, as a rule, the lighter the tent the smaller the pole diameter, and more fragile.

AT_Walker
02-21-2014, 01:23
I'm 6'5" and the FC fits me fine. No room for my pack inside the tent, but that's what the vestibule is for.

BradMT
03-01-2014, 20:07
I'm hitting the trail going NOBO in late March and have recently been looking into tents. After reading lots of reviews and testimonies here, I am looking more in-depth at these two tents. Do any of you have experience with these two or maybe one or the other? Any advice about how to pick?

Nothing much to add, except I do prefer a side entry over a front entry. I just got a 2013 CS1 on sale for $220 so will see this summer how I like it compared to my Hubba.

For a thru-hike I'd just as soon go as light as possible. But the AT of today is not the AT I knew in the 1970's with 10-14 day re-supplies, so a little extra weight for comfort is a reasonable trade-off.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-01-2014, 21:57
I have actually tried both and settled on the Copper Spur UL1 for a couple of reasons. The main one was the way the Fly Creek was constructed . The single point of insertion of the pole at the foot of the tent meant you had to stake in out in order to benefit from the space and keep it from laying all over the foot of your bag. Something I wasn't sure I wanted to have to do if it was cold and wet. I found getting in and out of the tent to be difficult with the entrance at the end. No real head room and I'm little cautrophobic (sp?). The final deciding factor was when I posed the question on another site, a person who has worked for outdoor equipment store recommended against, stating that they do not hold up that way for duration hikes but I had the platinum model, so I don't know how the regular one holds up.

I like the Copper Spur because of the dual pole insertion at each end, it has a lot more head room, it longer and wider than the Fly Creek. Of course the larger vestibule is nice, I like not having my head right at the entrance of my tent and if you keep the footprint attached to the rainfly you can slip the pole underneath and set the tent up while keeping the inside dry (at least with the way I've practiced setting it up it seems to work). Lastly, I read complaints about rain kicking up into the FC in a hard rain. The CS has taller side walls as you know. Don't know if any of this helps but thought I'd share what I had learned. Good Luck!

BradMT
03-02-2014, 17:00
Lady, good stuff... would add my wife and her girlfriend use a Copper Spur UL2... they've used it for the last 6+ years. Last year they tried a Fly Creek-2. They hated it. Sold it on ebay. Went back to the CS2 for all and more of the reasons you state.

takethisbread
03-02-2014, 17:25
big fan of BA. good products. have the new FC ultra 2, and it's a good product . the scout was a total misfire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faxanadu
06-08-2014, 12:40
I will add to this even though the thread is a few months old since i stumbled on it while researching something else.

I had the Copper Spur UL1 when i hiked in 2013. This tent is top quality engineering. It is color coded so you know which ends are which in a hurry. It sets up fast and breaks down fast. It held up great in strong rain storms and high winds. It is also roomy. I am almost 6'2 and 190lbs and i could:

Fit me
All of my gear unpacked
Hang clothes

inside the tent without issue. It's wide enough that you can almost fit two people inside. You could definitely sit and play chess/checkers/cards inside the tent comfortable with another person.

The vestibule is large enough to leave you shoes, pack, and stuff outside if you want.

I was easily able to stuff the poles and tent in the outer pocket of my back pack.

The weight difference between the new model Fly Creek UL1 & Copper Spur UL1 is only 7 ounces. Those that i met that had the Fly Creek UL1 mentioned it really needs to be staked out and that it was a little tight but still a good tent if you're looking to go even lighter.

bayoutrail
11-03-2014, 20:22
big fan of BA. good products. have the new FC ultra 2, and it's a good product . the scout was a total misfire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen mixed responses concerning the Scout. The plus with the vestibule seems to be a decent reload at the tent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk