PDA

View Full Version : wieghed my hammock + tarp...

titanium_hiker
09-09-2005, 16:19
This is my homemade speer type- and homemade hex tarp.
weighed on a humble 20gram kitchen scale.

sleeping bag: 1660 grams
pack 50L: 1200 grams
tarp (in tarpskins, cordage): 800 grams
hammock (in tubes, webbing, bugnet): 1440 grams

big 4 (big three if you count hammock and tarp as one tent):
1660 + 1200 + 800 + 1440
5100 grams, 5.1 kg or 180 ounces.

Hammock and tarp by themselves:
2240 grams or 80 ounces

My plans: get my hands on some even lighter hammock and bugnet material... move on from the bag...

titanium

Dances with Mice
09-09-2005, 19:09
This is my homemade speer type- and homemade hex tarp. weighed on a humble 20gram kitchen scale. You wouldn’t believe how many folk are handicapped by the ill-named English measurement system. It should be called the “obsolete idiotic American system” but apparently names stick longer than bad habits. The following conversions are provided gratis:

sleeping bag: 1660 grams – 3.5 pounds
pack 50L: 1200 grams – 2.6 pounds
tarp (in tarpskins, cordage): 800 grams – 1.8 pounds
hammock (in tubes, webbing, bugnet): 1440 grams
- 3.1 pounds
big 4 (big three if you count hammock and tarp as one tent):
1660 + 1200 + 800 + 1440
5100 grams, 5.1 kg or 180 ounces. – 11.25 pounds

Hammock and tarp by themselves:
2240 grams or 80 ounces – 5 pounds

Do be aware that the total is often greater than the sum of the measured parts. Rounding errors accumulate rather than diminish.

titanium_hiker
09-10-2005, 12:03
at least I provided both where it mattered.. :) I'm fluent in both, and nuts to you if you aren't ! (google is your friend) :D

and another thing- temps. 0 freeze and 100 water boil- makes sense. farenhieght (harder to spell too) makes no sense. :)

:)

seriously though- what do people's commercial and other versions weigh?

titanium

Just Jeff
09-10-2005, 13:08
GoLite Speed Backpack (3600ci) - 27 oz w/o Platypus and extra straps

Hennessy Hammock (UL BP A-Sym) - 20 oz w/o fly and w/ Python Skins.

JRB 8x8 Tarp - 11 oz w/ guylines, sling-shot tensioners, 2 Walmart stakes.

JRB 3-Season Set - 42 oz w/ connectors

Big 3 Total - 100 oz - 6 lbs 4 oz including Pack, Shelter, Bag.

http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/GearList.html

titanium_hiker
09-10-2005, 13:54
dang it... gonna need to work on the hammock I reckon. :) pretty cool jeff.

titanium

SteveJ
09-10-2005, 14:22
Hi, all. New here - not a thru-hiker, but have done some section hiking, and would love to do a thru-hike one day...

have been working on my pack weight over the last year or so, have come up with the following commercial/homemade solutions:

GG Vapor Trail: 32 oz
HH bp ultralight, with stock tarp, snakeskins, a couple of titanium stakes: 34.3 oz
20 degree homemade down quilt (www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com/) kit) - 22 oz.
total - 88.3 ozs, 5.5 lbs.

total 'base' weight, including everything but food, fuel, water, and clothing: 9.23 lbs. - not 'ultra-lite', but certainly lighter than the 50 lb pack I used to carry when my oldest son first joined Boy Scouts!

Steve

titanium_hiker
09-10-2005, 16:59
there are only two things in my gear that I have specifically bought- sleeping bag and backpack. I can cut some oz's on the hammock by going with even lighter material than I have now... and maybe I'll make myself a quilt (or maybe go JRB) but the pack- it's here to stay. (Andes 50 Outdoor DOITE)

titanium

Just Jeff
09-10-2005, 20:47
GG Vapor Trail: 32 oz
HH bp ultralight, with stock tarp, snakeskins, a couple of titanium stakes: 34.3 oz
20 degree homemade down quilt (www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com/) kit) - 22 oz.
total - 88.3 ozs, 5.5 lbs.
SteveJ,

What do you use for bottom-side insulation?

Seeker
09-10-2005, 22:06
at least I provided both where it mattered.. :) I'm fluent in both, and nuts to you if you aren't ! (google is your friend) :D

and another thing- temps. 0 freeze and 100 water boil- makes sense. farenhieght (harder to spell too) makes no sense. :)

:)

seriously though- what do people's commercial and other versions weigh?

titanium
i think there's another thread here, or maybe over at Hiking HQ, that deals with people's 'big 3' weights.

i use a HH Backbacker Ultralight Asym. Stock weight was 31 oz. i've added two small pockets to the tarp to hold the tie outs, a pocket inside to hold a book and water, two mini-biners to hang stuff from inside, snakeskins, 4 aluminum stakes, and two 150 lb.-rated aluminum "no-climbing use" caribiners to hang it with, and it comes to about 36 oz total. if i switch the stock tarp (6 oz) to an 8 x 10 tarp (13 oz), it adds 7 oz.

pack is a 20oz golite gust. i added two mesh water/fuel bottle holders to the sides...

bag is a 20 oz Western Mountaineering Caribou (35* bag). i added some fleece to one side of a stuff sack for a pillow and it weighs 22 oz total.

SteveJ
09-10-2005, 22:06
SteveJ,

What do you use for bottom-side insulation?hi, jeff. depends on the temps - and I guess I should have included bottom-side insulation in my weights...

down to about 60, I 'go bare' ;) - on insulation, that is... at temps above 70 (which I really don't do much of..), will bring a silk liner, lower temps, may bring a lightweight 40deg down bag.

what I want is a down underquilt for lower temps, but budgetary issues have kept me from making/purchasing this so far...

for now:

* from ~30 to 60 or so, I take a wide target blue pad - ~8 oz. have found this, with my quilt, and clothing, to be adequate for this temp spread. (assuming no wind...) I like the target pad because it's wide enough to wrap around the shoulders...
* have camped at Shining Rock on a ridgeline in December, with temps in the mid-teens and winds gusting (30 mph?), with a target blue pad and full-length TR guidelight, with homemade quilt, a silk liner and a down jacket for backup. I ended up using the jacket as a pillow - was wearing long johns and had 'handwarmers' in my socks.... Getting in the hammock with the pad and TR is a little tricky, but I find that once I go to sleep in my hammock, I don't move again 'til I wake up. I figure I may have been 1.5 to 2 pounds heavier hammocking than tarping on this trip - but really appreciated the 10+ hours of sound sleep, and being able to raise my head to watch the sun come up!

Seeker
09-10-2005, 23:31
Titanium Hiker

Here's what i was talking about... it was on this site. the thread is called "What's the weight of your BIG FOUR?"

it had some pretty good info.

Rifleman
09-11-2005, 02:18
[QUOTE=Dances with Mice]You wouldn’t believe how many folk are handicapped by the ill-named English measurement system. It should be called the “obsolete idiotic American system” but apparently names stick longer than bad habits. The following conversions are provided gratis:

Actually the French measurement system is obsolete--an anchronistic holdover from the Napoleonic era. Even Napoleon himself 'temporarily' suspended its implementation. It was brought back compulsorily under the weak King of the French Louis Phillipe. The rest of the world does (and should) speak English. It should also use our ('English measurement system') system of weights and measures. The world would probably do so except for the extreme egotistical nature of the French. But then the French have conveniently forgotten (twice!) that but for us Americans they would be speaking German now! :)

Just Jeff
09-11-2005, 02:21
SteveJ,

Synthetic underquilts are pretty cheap to make...get Primaloft and DWR from thru-hiker.com...you can probably get the materials for $50-$70 depending on thickness.

Or get an undercover like the JRB Weathershield and just stick a sleeping bag inside it...if you adjust it right, it'll hold the bag against the bottom of the hammock without compressing it. Check www.garlington.biz (http://www.garlington.biz) for Taco and Bag O' Feathers directions, too.

Or get a SPE if you like using pads...cheaper than the other options. It'll keep your stacked pads on top of each other, and you can use a 19" pad and still insulate your hips and shoulders. www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com) or my homemade version at http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearSPE.html . I didn't like using pads in a hammock until I tried the SPE.

Just some ideas...you may have already considered them. :)

gumby
09-11-2005, 12:22
[QUOTE=Dances with Mice]You wouldn’t believe how many folk are handicapped by the ill-named English measurement system. It should be called the “obsolete idiotic American system” but apparently names stick longer than bad habits. The following conversions are provided gratis:

Actually the French measurement system is obsolete--an anchronistic holdover from the Napoleonic era. Even Napoleon himself 'temporarily' suspended its implementation. It was brought back compulsorily under the weak King of the French Louis Phillipe. The rest of the world does (and should) speak English. It should also use our ('English measurement system') system of weights and measures. The world would probably do so except for the extreme egotistical nature of the French. But then the French have conveniently forgotten (twice!) that but for us Americans they would be speaking German now! :)
:bse What an egotistical, self-centered, idiotic, lamebrained...(feel free to add, you know where I'm going) view. Have you ever used the "Metric" system? If so then you would know that it is so very much easier to used than the system of pounds, ounces, etc. It is the same system as our money system is based on...that is the number 10.:banana
A bit of history...Congress authorized the metric system to be used in the US in (drum roll please) 1866. Here is the link http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/lc1136a.htm

For those that don't know how to use it thanks for the conversions. I personally have been using it since the 70's as I was in the US Air Force and it is used around the world. When I moved to Berlin Germany in 1983 I was glad that I knew it, it made life so much easier. Just think what would happen if your Doctor didn't know how to use the Metric system, you could over or under dose on meds. Think about it...if the largest organization in the world (medical) uses the Metric system, wouldn't it make sence for all to use it.

My 2 cents worth (that's 2 100ths of a dollar)

The other Lone Wolf:welcome

Dances with Mice
09-11-2005, 12:53
... I personally have been using it since the 70's as I was in the US Air Force and it is used around the world. When I moved to Berlin Germany in 1983 I was glad that I knew it, it made life so much easier...I was in an engineering unit in Germany in the early '80's. I was often sent out on advanced scouting missions - like would the village of Ost Oberunterbergensteinhof be a good place to build a bridge, blow a bridge, build a latrine, set up a POL or water point, whatever. My directions would all be in kilometers, right? And the odometer of my Dodge pickup that I depended on to follow the directions? Take a guess, take a wild guess...

I thought that was bad until I left the Army and got into real world engineering. My first project was to apply a treatment measured in milligrams per square meter to a product with specs written in ounces per square yard! Fortunately the Corporation converted entirely to metric soon after. But now I can do conversions in my head either way within 2 or 3 significant figures.

I still haven't measured my latest incarnation of hammock/fly, bag, and pack yet. I owe Titanium that. My scale? Measures in ounces. Hmph!

-
Fair warning: don't get me started on Farenheit / Celsius. Best to avoid that like the topic of Sports Juggling.

titanium_hiker
09-11-2005, 14:12
heheheheh. sorry guys for all the CONTROVERSY! I like the french. My fav. cooking book gives both (it's kinda old- but designed to be easy- for mums with bubs) and so, yeah. My scale wieghs in both. :)

Anyway, this is a thread about the lightness of hammocks + rest of necesary shelter... so forget the other stuff... I just copied and pasted from something else I was working on. :D

I am seriously considering a JRB 3 season set- great review Jeff btw. I haven't got under insulation worked out yet (homemade and cheap)... but over AND under insulation for ~ 1kg (compared to 1.6kg for JUST my sleeping bag) ok... now I just need to get the cash... :) for now I'll be happy with backyard sleeping and a garlington type thing.

OH yeah- for you hopeless incompetents :p : 1kg : 1.6kg == 2.20462262 pounds : 3.52739619 pounds ... ==
35oz : 57 oz :rolleyes:

thanks for the responses guys...

titanium

gumby
09-11-2005, 14:18
I was in an engineering unit in Germany in the early '80's. I was often sent out on advanced scouting missions - like would the village of Ost Oberunterbergensteinhof be a good place to build a bridge, blow a bridge, build a latrine, set up a POL or water point, whatever. My directions would all be in kilometers, right? And the odometer of my Dodge pickup that I depended on to follow the directions? Take a guess, take a wild guess...

I thought that was bad until I left the Army and got into real world engineering. My first project was to apply a treatment measured in milligrams per square meter to a product with specs written in ounces per square yard! Fortunately the Corporation converted entirely to metric soon after. But now I can do conversions in my head either way within 2 or 3 significant figures.

I still haven't measured my latest incarnation of hammock/fly, bag, and pack yet. I owe Titanium that. My scale? Measures in ounces. Hmph!

-
Fair warning: don't get me started on Farenheit / Celsius. Best to avoid that like the topic of Sports Juggling.
Yeah, we had a combo of german and US vehicles. I got used to (read had to) convert miles to klicks or vice versa in my head. (.6 or 1.6)

Temp conversions are a bit harder though for a very rough approximation divide F by 2, get you to within a few degrees. for C multiply by 2, still a bit off but in a pinch it works.

I bought a digital kitchen scale at Wally World that measures in Lb/OZ and Grams/Kilos. I originally bought it for making candles. Now I have another use.

Later friend

Lone Wolf:clap

Rifleman
09-11-2005, 22:30
[QUOTE=lone wolf]:bse What an egotistical, self-centered, idiotic, lamebrained...(feel free to add, you know where I'm going) view.

Ad hominem. Robert J. Sternberg's second critical thinking trap (Sternberg, 2002). Let's not allow the dialectic to degenerate into name-calling.

Have you ever used the "Metric" system?

Yes I have used the metric system when traveling in Canada & Mexico and when I was a member of the U.S. Army.

If so then you would know that it is so very much easier to used than the system of pounds, ounces, etc. It is the same system as our money

Irrelevant conclusion. My argument wasn't whether the metric system is 'easier' or 'harder.' My argument is that since we are the dominant power and our language is already used by all then the use of our system of weights and measures by all logically follows. France has erroneously been accorded 'Great Power' status for almost two centuries now and its attempts to mold the rest of us into what they feel is best should be justly resisted (even though it won't be due to emotionalism).
system is based on...that is the number 10.:banana
A bit of history...Congress authorized the metric system to be used in the US in (drum roll please) 1866. Here is the link http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/lc1136a.htm

Researched that link and others prior to posting the previous post. You forgot to mention that the U.S. Congress did not make the metric system compulsory in the United States

For those that don't know how to use it thanks for the conversions. I personally have been using it since the 70's as I was in the US Air Force and it is used around the world. When I moved to Berlin Germany in 1983 I was glad that I knew it, it made life so much easier. Just think what would happen if your Doctor didn't know how to use the Metric system, you could over or under dose on meds.

Composition fallacy. Just because it was true for you since the 1970s and the metric system is used by physicians it doesn't necessarily follow that what is true of parts of a whole is necessarily true of the whole itself.

Think about it...if the largest organization in the world (medical) uses the Metric system, wouldn't it make sence for all to use it.

Irrelevant conclusion. Just because 'everybody's' doing it doesn't mean that I or you or anyone else in the United States should. However, compulsory useage of the metric system will come to pass here in the U.S. and we all will be the lesser for it. The United States has other 'fish to fry.' See T.R. Reid's 'The United States of Europe' and Philip Bobbitt's Time magazine essay 'Get Ready for the Next Long War.'
http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020909/abobbit.html
Bobbitt's thesis is more fully developed in his book 'The Shield of Achilles:
War, Peace, and the Course of History' (2002).

My 2 cents worth (that's 2 100ths of a dollar)

That's what I appreciate about Whiteblaze--we all get to express our opinions.
Cordially,
R.

Just Jeff
09-12-2005, 00:11
My argument is that since we are the dominant power and our language is already used by all then the use of our system of weights and measures by all logically follows.
And yet...

Just because 'everybody's' doing it doesn't mean that I or you or anyone else in the United States should.
So just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we should, but just because we're doing it means everyone else should? Whose logic are you calling fallacious?

Hrm...are you saying that during Napoleon's conquest of Europe (one long hike under arms), France's "Great Power" status was erroneous? And today, France's "Great Power" status comes from the fact that they have nukes, have great economic and political influence with our allies, and are one of the leaders in creating and exporting military technology. Whether we like it or not, their status is hardly erroneous.

And regarding the first quote above, your conclusion is anything but logical because which language system we use is independent from which mathematical system we use. My logical conclusion is that we should adopt what works best and thereby progress more quickly, regardless of any previous connections with an antiquated system of weights and measures.

Rifleman - more like Rocket. All thrust and no vector.

Though I gotta say...if the AT clubs start posting mileage in Km I'll have a lot more to think about on my hikes, since the guidebooks are all still in miles!

Youngblood
09-12-2005, 08:20
Sometimes it is not a problem, like when it is minus 40 degrees. Everybody knows it is dang cold. :datz

Youngblood

titanium_hiker
09-12-2005, 08:50
... in which ever system you use...

No more flames on metric please guys, I think it is important to know both. here the roads are marked in kms, (not that it's accurate lol) depending on which fruit or veg you are buying in the market, it might be weighed in kilos or pounds or another exotic measurement, the plumbing stuff is in imperial...
the world's only superpower should not act like one... And you guys owe a lot to the french too.

So, what does your hammock/tarp/insulation weigh (in both please, use google- "83 oz to grams" is the format) and how low can you go?

This is for the gramweenies out there who don't want to go hammock. :D

titanium

Rifleman
09-12-2005, 12:31
So just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we should, but just because we're doing it means everyone else should? Whose logic are you calling fallacious?

We are the hegemon. The world follows our lead in language, culture, and everything that matters. Language, similar to mathematics, is an abstract communication device (ask a psycholinguist). This discussion is not about which system is better. Both systems have positives and negatives. Its about historical precedent. When the Roman Empire became a hegemon its language, customs, and system of weights and measures were used in its provinces, dependancies, and allied countries.

Hrm...are you saying that during Napoleon's conquest of Europe (one long hike under arms), France's "Great Power" status was erroneous?

I was referring to after Napoleon ("almost two hundred years"). Winning (or losing) the last battle is the most important part of attaining, keeping, or losing Great Power status. Napoleon lost other key engagements also which, especially in historical hindsight, cast doubt on France's pretensions to Great Power status during the Napoleonic era.

And today, France's "Great Power" status comes from the fact that they have nukes, have great economic and political influence with our allies, and are one of the leaders in creating and exporting military technology. Whether we like it or not, their status is hardly erroneous.

France (thank God!) is not the hegemon. We are.

And regarding the first quote above, your conclusion is anything but logical because which language system we use is independent from which mathematical system we use.

Historical precedent and Pericles' dictum: "Great States do what they wish. Small states suffer what they must."

My logical conclusion is that we should adopt what works best and thereby progress more quickly, regardless of any previous connections with an antiquated system of weights and measures.

I agree that using what works most effectively and efficiently is paramount. 'Best' is qualitative and subjective. However, I have learned that what is newer is not necessarily better.

Rifleman - more like Rocket. All thrust and no vector.

Ad Hominem reminder: Let's not allow our discussion to degenerate into personal attacks. Doing so only diminishes all of us (paraphrase of John Donne).

Though I gotta say...if the AT clubs start posting mileage in Km I'll have a lot more to think about on my hikes, since the guidebooks are all still in miles![/QUOTE]

gumby
09-12-2005, 12:47
OK, I give up. I know what I feel is my preference even though others don't. Those of us in the US (as well as other countries) know the value of the freedom of speech and we can agree to disagree.

On another note...Titanium...I am going to be making my hammock in the near future. Thanks for all your info.

Let me know if I can help you.

Lone Wolf (the other one)

titanium_hiker
09-12-2005, 15:21
to all who flamed about measuring systems- please disist. I'm trying to ask about hammock weights- the gram/ounces thing was a side JOKE!! not to be flamed and discussed. If you have a hammock, please weigh it and post it here, if not, please quit posting in this thread (rifleman etal)

if anyone has a picture of ripstop and noseeum, I would be grateful if I could see it. (close up picture) -particularly the thickness.

titanium

gumby
09-12-2005, 19:05
to all who flamed about measuring systems- please disist. I'm trying to ask about hammock weights- the gram/ounces thing was a side JOKE!! not to be flamed and discussed. If you have a hammock, please weigh it and post it here, if not, please quit posting in this thread (rifleman etal)

if anyone has a picture of ripstop and noseeum, I would be grateful if I could see it. (close up picture) -particularly the thickness.

titanium
Sorry...didn't mean to start all that.

Here is a link to a site that has all kinds of fabrics. http://www.owfinc.com/
Here is a link to a bunch of ripstop fabrics. http://www.china-accessories.com/fabric/ripstop/page_01.htm
and here is the noseeum mesh link. http://www.vtarmynavy.com/mosquito_netting.htm

If you can't get to these links just go to either yahoo or google, type in the item to search for and click on the images link. You wouldn't believe what you'll find.
Try searching for hammock images if you dare ;)

Lone Wolf

Dances with Mice
09-12-2005, 19:17
Sorry...didn't mean to start all that.Flip off, buddy, I started it!

brian
09-12-2005, 20:28
With all of the links that lone wolf posted, I highly reccomend ordering all the fabric you need from OWFINC. GREAT service, and they have what you need.

Brian
OES

Just Jeff
09-12-2005, 20:52
AYCE ( www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com) ) has great service and products, as well. He also has a bulletin board where he answers any questions you have about his goods, about project designs and material recommendations, and about life in general. Very helpful guy.

Rifleman
09-12-2005, 22:05
[QUOTE=titanium_hiker]to all who flamed about measuring systems- please disist. I'm trying to ask about hammock weights- the gram/ounces thing was a side JOKE!! not to be flamed and discussed. If you have a hammock, please weigh it and post it here, if not, please quit posting in this thread (rifleman etal)

Pardon me young lady I didn't realize attroll posted under another pseudonym. Thank you for telling me what I can and cannot discuss. Evidently authoritarianism is alive and well in Bolivia. By the way my Explorer Ultralite A-sym weighs 2 lbs. 7 oz's. Comfort is more important than weight. "I go into the woods to smooth it not rough it" (Horace Kephart).
Cordially,
R.

P.S. If you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the porch!

Alligator
09-12-2005, 22:17
[QUOTE=titanium_hiker]to all who flamed about measuring systems- please disist. I'm trying to ask about hammock weights- the gram/ounces thing was a side JOKE!! not to be flamed and discussed. If you have a hammock, please weigh it and post it here, if not, please quit posting in this thread (rifleman etal)

Pardon me young lady I didn't realize attroll posted under another pseudonym. Thank you for telling me what I can and cannot discuss. Evidently authoritarianism is alive and well in Bolivia. By the way my Explorer Ultralite A-sym weighs 2 lbs. 7 oz's. Comfort is more important than weight. "I go into the woods to smooth it not rough it" (Horace Kephart).
Cordially,
R.

P.S. If you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the porch!Did you weigh the stick?

gumby
09-12-2005, 22:31
I think what TH was asking was for the conversation to keep in line with the original topic. That being said, I'm done with it.

On another note, I didn't post those links to reccomend sites to get fabric, TH asked if anyone could post some pictures of ripstop and noseeum fabric becasue she has limited knowledge of what they look like. Remember, noseeum is probably not a type of fabric found in Bolivia so by having a picture then she can find it if she sees it in a store. Hopefully the links had the pics she can use.

Fun is fun, but overkill is enough.

nuff said,

Lone Wolf

The Old Fhart
09-13-2005, 08:10
Is it too late to apply for my 3600Km patch for finishing the A.T.?? :D

titanium_hiker
09-13-2005, 16:12
rifle- you have no IDEA about authoritarian situations in other countries, particularly Bolivia. YOUR life and home have never been on the line because of the political situation - (I assume- regarding your profile info). The political situation has been hot since last year- people getting shot etc. there are rumours of a military coup. So don't make jokes about authoritarianism. - it's an issue close to heart.

This thread is about hammock weights- if you don't want to talk about hammock weights please go to another thread or start your own. (if you read back- I had already asked this before you posted non-relevance AGAIN- that's when I got mad.) - asking you to go away isn't authoritarian btw- you would do the same to a trespasser on your porch)

Thanks for the weights of your hammock. I apreciate it. 2lbs 7oz is 1106 grams
I like to smooth my time in the outdoors- particularly on my knees. :)

I like big dogs. Thread drift is ok- but I've had enough of the propaganda and flames. (you are more bark than bite though... :D )

thanks lone wolf. I need pictures, not sales pitches. :)

lol tof.

thanks all.
titanium

JoeHiker
09-13-2005, 18:29
I don't make any of my own stuff so I obviously spent a ton for all of this. I don't mind that though.

Sleeping bag: WM Alpin-Lite: 1 lb, 15 oz = 880 grams
Pack. Thompson Peak w/hipbelt: 11 oz = 312 grams
Tarp: MacCat Deluxe: 15 oz = 425 grams
Hammock: HH Backpacker Asym: 1 lb, 15 oz = 880 grams

Total = 5 lbs 8 ozs = 2497 grams

Hammock and tarp by themselves: 2 lb, 14 oz = 1305 grams

JoeHiker
09-13-2005, 18:31
Did you weigh the stick?
I think that's technically counted as bodyweight.

titanium_hiker
09-13-2005, 19:04
cool JoeHiker- thanks. yeah- I know what the fallacy is- the tarp isn't sylnyl (a no can find fabric) and the hammock body is STILL too heavy.

thanks for posting in oz's and grams- I think in grams. :)

titanium

Just Jeff
09-13-2005, 19:30
JoeHiker,

The HH UL BP Asym without the fly is about 20 oz...the 1 lb 15 oz listed on the website includes the fly and I think the stuff sack, too.

Do you use any bottom-side insulation?

dougmeredith
09-13-2005, 19:48
This thread is about hammock weights- if you don't want to talk about hammock weights please go to another thread or start your own. (if you read back- I had already asked this before you posted non-relevance AGAIN- that's when I got mad.) - asking you to go away isn't authoritarian btw- you would do the same to a trespasser on your porch)
Well if you want to use that analogy you are a guest on the porch of Rock & AT Troll.

Doug

Alligator
09-13-2005, 19:53
I think that's technically counted as bodyweight.Perceptive . I wasn't sure if it would make it to the FSO weight or not:D .

gumby
09-13-2005, 22:29

lol tof.

thanks all.
titanium
Those weren't sales pitches, each one had pictures of the actual fabric so you can see what it looks like. I searched the web for you to show you that most everyone here is kind and friendly, not jerks. If you want my assistance ok, if not so be it, but the links (except for maybe the first one) have great pictures and info about each fabric you asked about. I wouldn't buy from them as I don't even know who they are.

I realize that you are pissed off at certain posters here, but you have to be able to recognize your friends also. I too am in the process of making my own equipment for the least expensive cost so it helped me also.

By the way, if you have read in the posts I was one on your side in trying to stop the flaming.

If you want a friend ok, if not...

nuff said.

P.S. Pictures from said web sites attached.

Rifleman
09-14-2005, 01:17
rifle- you have no IDEA about authoritarian situations in other countries, particularly Bolivia. YOUR life and home have never been on the line because of the political situation - (I assume- regarding your profile info).

Assumptions are dangerous things. I have chosen in the past to put my life on the line by serving in the U.S. Army. No doubt as the socio-political situation continues to deteriorate here in the U.S. there will be other low profile opportunities to defend the Constitution again.

The political situation has been hot since last year- people getting shot etc. there are rumours of a military coup. So don't make jokes about authoritarianism. - it's an issue close to heart.

If the political situation is close to your heart, what have you chosen to do about it?

This thread is about hammock weights- if you don't want to talk about hammock weights please go to another thread or start your own.

You don't own this thread anymore than I or attroll do. It belongs to all of us who are AT enthusiasts.

(if you read back- I had already asked this before you posted non-relevance AGAIN- that's when I got mad.)

Life is not something you can have your own way.
My experience is that getting angry over a thread on a hiking forum on the Internet is an indication of immaturity.

- asking you to go away isn't authoritarian btw- you would do the same to a trespasser on your porch)

I wouldn't ask.
If 'it' was my porch I would influence a trespasser to leave utilizing a loaded firearm.

Thanks for the weights of your hammock. I apreciate it. 2lbs 7oz is 1106 grams

Would you rather be right or be happy???

I like to smooth my time in the outdoors- particularly on my knees. :)

Won't touch that one. Too much room for double entendre.

I like big dogs. Thread drift is ok- but I've had enough of the propaganda and flames. (you are more bark than bite though... :D )

There you go again with those assumptions. BTW. Don't assume that my profile is true or correct.

lol tof.

thanks all.
titanium[/QUOTE]

titanium_hiker
09-14-2005, 08:05
no no- I realize you are being friendly (as are most of the people here) and yeah, thanks for the images, that's really helpful. (and the links everyone- again, really useful)

sorry if I sounded mad.

thanks really (no sarcasm)

titanium

Gadog430
09-14-2005, 08:40
There are a bunch of us backpacking this weekend. Second time to use the Hammock, and several of the hikers coming along are new hikers...can't wait for them to see the hammock in use. Yeeehaaaaa. I fear they are all going to want to take a nap in MY HAMMOCK. lol

A plus this time, I won't be setting it up in the dark, so I can play with it a little more. My main goal the first time I used it was "I want to go to sleep now."

Can someone post any tips they use on getting it centered between the trees? That was one of my main hang ups. Also, anyone have a tip on how high to hang it so that when you get in your rear doesn't hit the ground and which end should be higher. My feet slipped out the opening once or twice. I think I need to go up on the feet end.

Thanks,
Dawg

Youngblood
09-14-2005, 09:39
Dawg,

You mean you didn't get the automatik setup option with your hammock? :D

Centering is a little tricky since we don't use tape measures out there. I don't know how everybody else does it but this is the process I go through. If you are using the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym the distance between the ends of the ridgeline is 100 inches, or about 8 feet. Somehow you have to estimate the distance between the trees you are using. :confused: Some folks walk it off, count the number of steps between the trees and use 3 feet for each step. Other folks that use hiking poles have learned that if they stretch them out with both hands that it is a certain distance (it is 12' for me). And then there are those that just know the distance. :rolleyes: Once you get that estimate, you have to do some math. Subract the 8 feet ridgeline from that distance and that is how much total line you need to set up the HH the way it is recommended... so you need half that much line on each end of the hammock.

Example: Say you walk it off and get 12 feet separation between the trees. Subract 8 feet from that 12 feet to get 4 feet for the total line length. Divide the 4 feet by 2 lines and get 2 feet for each line. Duh... how much is two feet? For me, the distance between my fingertips to various points along my outstretched arm is my reference. The span of my hand is about 6 inches. From my finger tip to my elbow is about 1.5 feet, to my shoulder is about 2.5 feet and to my nose is 3 feet.

Now there is a lot of estimating going on, so what you end up with isn't likely to be as close as you want it. :datz So, I add a little bit to the first line I tie off so that I will be sure to have enough line to tie off the second end if my estimates were on the low side... then, if necessary I retie the first line.

You had a few other questions as well.

I like the footend higher than the headend and raise the footend between 6 inches to a foot higher than the headend. If it is 12 feet between trees I go for 6 inches... if it is 18 feet between trees I go for a foot.

It has been a while since I had my HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym, but I recall that I hung it basically chest high when it was 12 feet between trees, chin high when it was 15 feet and head high when it was 18 feet.

You'll figure all this out pretty quick when you get some experience with it. It is just something new to learn and probably sounds more confusing than it really is... have fun with it.

Are you going to the hammock hangers campout in Hot Springs, NC on the 23rd to 25th?

Youngblood

Just Jeff
09-14-2005, 10:15
Centering is tricky...but if you cheat to the foot end, you'll probably be OK even if it comes out a little off. Like Youngblood said, it's comfy for most people with the feet a little higher. Hanging the foot end closer to the tree has roughly the same effect as hanging it higher.

gumby
09-14-2005, 10:22
no no- I realize you are being friendly (as are most of the people here) and yeah, thanks for the images, that's really helpful. (and the links everyone- again, really useful)

sorry if I sounded mad.

thanks really (no sarcasm)

titanium
ok now that we have that settled. On with hammock, bug fly, and tarp making.

Youngblood
09-14-2005, 10:33
Jeff, you bring up a good point:

Why center the hammock?

A minor reason is that it helps align a seperate tarp if you center both of them. But the main reason is that it affects how the hammock lays in respect to whether you are level or the headend is higher or lower than the footend. Now, like Jeff pointed out, you can use this to your advantage... but I think that is for advanced users. Why? Because it is sneaky. If you center the hammock you can better visualize any slope between the headend and footend by simply walking away from the hammock and looking at it... you should be able to see any slope if the hammock is centered (this is easy on level ground but more difficult on sloped ground). If the hammock isn't centered it isn't as simple because you have to factor in the differences in the line lengths. Basically, when they are unequal the longer line length end drops more... and the drop is proportional to the amount the lines are unequal by. I would advise new hammock users to avoid this technique because they are likely to have more problems with it. Just my 2 cents.

Youngblood

rpettit
09-14-2005, 11:04
I just try to center it visually first. I tie loose square knots on the tree huggers so that the ends can be adjusted easily. Then I stand with my shoulder against the tree, reach out with my arm and look to see where the hammock end starts relative to my arm, then do the same thing on the other end. Once the hammock is centered I tie the hennessy figure 8 lashing on each end. Then I hook a small line level on the ridgeline of the hammock, lay down in the hammock, observe the level, then raise or lower whichever end of the hammock I choose to make it level while I am lying in it. Simple.

JoeHiker
09-14-2005, 11:39
JoeHiker,

The HH UL BP Asym without the fly is about 20 oz...the 1 lb 15 oz listed on the website includes the fly and I think the stuff sack, too.

Do you use any bottom-side insulation?Argghhh! I forgot about the bottom side insulation.

After a problem with the weight of my JRB Nest Down Under (my mistake see below for more on this) I finally got my quilt back the other day. I need to add that in to the equation. That's 20 more ounces.

I'll be taking the Hennessey stuff sack along with me but not the fly -- now that I have the MacCat -- so I guess I need to re-weigh. Actually I just got the MacCat this week as well.

Plus I forgot about my SnakeSkins #4 from Hennessey, designed for to hold the quilt as well.

So I need to set the whole thing up and reweigh.

---------------------------------------------------

Note to people with Pelouze Office Scales:

When the weight is over a pound it reads pounds then ounces. I weighed my 20 oz Nest Down Under (NDU) on my Pelouze scale, I saw a "1" and a "6" right next to each other, and I thought, "Hey, that's only 16 ounces!" when in reality, it was 1 pound, 6 ounces = 21 ounces.

Taking away the stuff sack weight, that meant (I thought) that I only had a 15 ounce quilt, not 20 as advertised. I double and triple checked it, talked to one of the Jacks, and sent it back. I think I had them all worried that they had not used the proper amount of down

He, of course, realized the mistake I had made, explained it to me and returned it. Didn't even charge me the extra postage!

titanium_hiker
09-14-2005, 17:45
cool joe. for an out and out straight hammock weights thread, you might be interested in posting here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10229

thanks Jeff!

feel free to discuss further issues in this thread. Rifleman- if you were accesible, I would encourage you to move on from this thread with a loaded and cocked gun. However, words will have to suffice. this is small because it's really not important- I'm going to move on. have a nice life.

titanium

Rifleman
09-14-2005, 20:28
Rifleman- if you were accesible, I would encourage you to move on from this thread with a loaded and cocked gun. However, words will have to suffice. this is small because it's really not important- I'm going to move on. have a nice life.

titanium[/QUOTE]

Young Lady,
Please do come back when you learn a little polity and civility. You have an apt mind and evidently do wish to learn from those more mature and wiser than you. However, in some ways its sad because Authoritarian regimes tend to imprison individuals such as you--those who tend to speak before they think. God Bless you and keep you.
R.

gumby
09-14-2005, 21:47
Rifleman- if you were accesible, I would encourage you to move on from this thread with a loaded and cocked gun. However, words will have to suffice. this is small because it's really not important- I'm going to move on. have a nice life.

titanium
Young Lady,
Please do come back when you learn a little polity and civility. You have an apt mind and evidently do wish to learn from those more mature and wiser than you. However, in some ways its sad because Authoritarian regimes tend to imprison individuals such as you--those who tend to speak before they think. God Bless you and keep you.
R.[/QUOTE]
Rifleman, enough is enough. Let it go. Her words were small because you also are. Goddess bless you.

Pagan with an attitude towards those with really small minds.

Lone Wolf

neo
09-14-2005, 22:10
this is what i am carrying on my section hike next month

byer hammock 11 oz
byer hammock suspension 5 oz
jacksrbetter 8x8 sinylon tarp 11oz
my sleeping pad 10 oz
my speer synthetic 30 degree sleep quilt 25 oz
total 62 oz / 3lbs 14 oz.

Rifleman
09-15-2005, 00:33
Lone Wolf[/QUOTE] Rifleman, enough is enough. Let it go. Her words were small because you also are. Goddess bless you.
Pagan with an attitude towards those with really small minds.

You have the right to your opinion and it is worth exactly what it costs.
BTW did you realize that the Higher Power has no need of gender and therefore has no gender? Small minds are limited by their preconceptions of Reality ("The 'paradox' is only a conflict between reality and your feeling of what reality ought to be." (Richard Feynman)
Cordially,
R.

dougmeredith
09-15-2005, 08:07
BTW did you realize that the Higher Power has no need of gender and therefore has no gender?
How do you know this?

Doug

Rifleman
09-15-2005, 08:37
[QUOTE=dougmeredith]How do you know this?

Doug,
I appreciate your reply. I am suprised that attroll hasn't deleted all of our posts & banned us for life from Whiteblaze. If you really wanted to have a dialectic (rational argument) w/o name calling & back stabbing (which I doubt could occur on this forum--not accusing you Doug) one of the non-AT forums would probably be the place for it. It is good that inquiring minds strive to know the truth--whatever the truth may be.
Cordially,
R.

Dances with Mice
09-15-2005, 11:35
(...this space left intentionally blank...) What is the cause of your consistent difficulty in using the
quote function in this forum?Whatever the problem, it nearly renders your messages unreadable.

Seeker
09-15-2005, 12:59
leave him alone... i may not agree with everything he says, but don't pick on him because he's not 'posting' properly... he's only done 15 of them, and maybe he just doesn't know you can edit a quote down to a more manageable size... my mom picked up on the concept of email at the age of 68, but still can't attach a photo... had no idea that a scanner makes a file you can send to someone... but she can use google to find a crochet pattern and print if off like no one's business... my 7 year old daughter figured out how to get song lyrics with google without anyone showing her, and my other daughter once reloaded a computer game that was acting 'slow' without any help, even though she had not a clue what she was doing... point is, not everyone is a computer whiz, and just because you can get on and make a post doesn't mean you understand all the nuances...

also, it helps him let us know exactly what post he's replying to... sometimes i've replied to a post, thinking i'd be the next one to appear, and discover that 2 other people had posted replies before me... gets kinda confusing after awhile...

rifleman, if you didn't know, you can just leave the word ''quote'' and the little bracket thingys (look like this: [] ) in place and delete all the stuff in the middle, or only include the stuff you're commenting on.

if you did know, and choose to post the whole thing, that's entirely your prerogative too...

Dances with Mice
09-15-2005, 13:41
rifleman, if you didn't know, you can just leave the word ''quote'' and the little bracket thingys (look like this: [] ) in place and delete all the stuff in the middle, or only include the stuff you're commenting on....if you did know, and choose to post the whole thing, that's entirely your prerogative too...I'm not talking about snipping, Seeker. Review post 22 on this thread, for one example, and try to unravel who wrote what. Schizophrenic, isn't it? I'd like to help him correct the problem with the medium that is obscuring his messages, I'm not giving him a hard time.

I haven't even warned him about the dangers of Sports Juggling.

Yet.

titanium_hiker
09-15-2005, 18:05
<snip>not worth it</snip>

Cool neo- quicky- when you buy a byer, do you have to get the straps separately?

titanium