PDA

View Full Version : Kickin' the Boots

Cosmo
02-19-2014, 22:15
I've been hiking for years (decades) with Vasque Sundowners, and now that I've got my pack weight down to about 30lbs, I think it's time to start thinking about some lighter footwear. I'm not looking for advice on specific shoes, there are plenty of threads on that already. What I'm interested in are experience folks have had with transitioning from big mid-height leather clunkers like the Sundowners to trail runners or similar footwear. I like the boots because I can go over almost anything w/o really caring wether it's mud, rocks, roots, etc, so I don't want to go down to a stripped down or "barefoot' type of shoe (at this point). When my current boots get wet, they stay wet and my feet start to disintegrate are friction points when the skin is wet for days at a time--I'm hoping a softer more breathable upper will help keep things a little drier. I do expect to have to tread more carefully and be more conscious about foot placement. I'm interested in others' thoughts and experiences that they've had when making a similar transition.

Thanks,

Cosmo

gypsy97
02-20-2014, 00:13
I've been wondering about the same thing - my Vasque Sundowners are from 1997 and were made in Italy - BC (before China) so I've never wanted to let them go. I'm thinking about getting some trail walkers this year, and hope you get some good responses to your post.

Gypsy

michaelosborne
02-20-2014, 00:21
For me personally I felt a lot better after switching from my big Vasque boots that could handle any type of beating to a lighter pair of trail runners. I never really realized how heavy they were on my feet while hiking until I made the change, after picking up your feet constantly for days you can feel how heavy the boots really become. I think I even read somewhere that they did a study and equated that each pound on your foot was equivalent to 6 pounds in your pack due to the constant lifting of the shoe weight but don't quote me on that one! The major pros of switching to trail runners are they dry out super fast when they get soaked from either fording streams or rain and won't retain the dampness like thick boots do. Also there is less of a break in time. For me trail runners take about a week to two at most for me to really break them in compared to a boot that takes many miles and much time to break it in really well. But they do have the drawbacks of not as good durability which can be costly on a multiple month trek. All in all though I made the switch and I couldn't see myself going back it's trail runners all the way for me though YMMV.

Feral Bill
02-20-2014, 00:28
If you are wary of switching to light trail runners, there are numerous in-between choices that might serve you well. You will more likely be very happy with trail runners from the start. My heavy leather boots mostly gather dust, unless I'm cutting firewood or such.

LIhikers
02-20-2014, 01:30
I made the switch from Vasque Clarion boots to Oboz Blaze shoes a couple of years ago and I'm glad I did.
My first multi-day trip was a traverse of the Presidential Range in NH and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was to be in lighter, airier shoes.
Now that I've switched out of boots I don't carry camp shoes (Crocks) anymore.

DocMahns
02-20-2014, 03:47
I made the switch from USMC issued leather combat boots to Merrell MOAB ventilators... the difference in comfort and weight is ridiculous.

Lucy Lulu
02-20-2014, 08:58
I made the switch from my Vasque boots to trail runners years ago, and never looked back. At first I found my feet were more sore and a little more fatigued at the end of the day, but as my pack weight lessened, and I hiked more, those things became a non-issue. I am more sure footed in the trail runners...probably because I pay more attention to where I step, but also because I have more flexibility - especially on rocky sections.

I use trail runners without a waterproof lining during the summer, and when I hike out west. On the east coast, I use trail runners with a water proof liner for multi-season hiking. They keep my feet warmer, and also dryer in the high humidity. I also use light weight gaitors by Mountain Laurel Designs to keep the debris out of the shoes.