PDA

View Full Version : MT Washington Winter Summit

Second Hand
02-20-2014, 08:13
http://www.fathernatureoutdoors.com/1/post/2014/02/trail-tuesdays-mount-washington-the-road-less-traveled.html

Hello Everyone,
I recently completed a MT Washington winter summit and wanted to share the experience with the folks on WB. It went with the EMS climbing school because I had very little experience w/ Crampons and an Ice Axe. It's one of those things I didn't want to have a "trial and error" experience with.

I hope you enjoy the read and let me know if you have any questions!

Lucy Lulu
02-20-2014, 08:23
Good article...thanks for posting.

Damn Yankee
02-20-2014, 08:37
I have hiked Mt. Washington in the late Fall by way of the Cog Railway Trail and the weather condition between the bottom and summit were incredible. 50* at bottom and 20* on summit with winds so hard that the ice on the observatory had formed side ways. Also, rappelled at King's Ravine. Loved both places. Nice job!

FarmerChef
02-20-2014, 08:53
Thanks. Enjoyed that. Makes me want to go buy some gear and sign up for a class!

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 09:04
Beautiful!! Loved the pics, of course, and your writing is very good!

Congrats to you, Second Hand! :D Thanks for sharing with us. Well done!

Second Hand
02-20-2014, 09:39
Thanks everyone. It was a really beautiful hike but it was also the hardest hike I've ever done.

I can't wait to do the same trail this summer! Sure, it will be a zoo at the top, but I understand you can get (bad and cheap) pizza at the summit!

Damn Yankee
02-20-2014, 09:59
Dude, the food is awesome. Try the Cog Trail, great hike

Damn Yankee
02-20-2014, 10:00
By the way, I'm from Fall River originally and was born and raised in Swansea.

Second Hand
02-20-2014, 10:20
DY - On that recommendation I have no choice but to get back to the Summit of Washington during the summer.

I actually grew up in CT and moved to MA 5 or 6 years ago when my wife got a job in Beverly. The area is nice cause it's close enough to Boston to get your fill of city life, but it really opened up the White Mountains for me. If we didn't move here I doubt I would have ever gotten so into hiking. The White's blew my mind and I started spending every weekend up there playing, exploring and learning. That transitioned into backpacking and now I'm Section Hiking the AT, w/ plans to complete the LT this year, and learning about Mountaineering.
My wife and family think I'm crazy!