PDA

View Full Version : Lodging & shuttles

solace
09-10-2005, 00:28
Attention !!! South bounders in NC,
Haven's Budget Inn and Sapphire Inn of Franklin,NC always runs $35.00 Rates
for 2 guests and $5.00 for each additional.This is unheard of rates for this area this time in the year.These are not guimicks!They,re AT Hiker rates that
we run year around.Our regular rates this part of the year is$45-$79 nightly.
We are running 70 plus percent occ this time of year so call a few days
ahead if you need a room.We also furnish free rides to Franklin from Winding
Stair Gap,Wallace or Rock Gaps.Cell phones usually have signals from Wayah
Bald,Wayah Crest, and the parking Lot at Winding Stairs Gap.We also assist
with shuttles or I have friends who won't give hikers the shaft in this area.
If you need us for this call us @ 1-828-524-4403 Promoting hikers in our area
is our intent year around.Hey PS. I think other hikers will vouch for our hiker service and reputation in this area. :welcome

digger51
09-10-2005, 04:10
I will certainly vouch for Ron and the crew. I stay there every year and they are some of the best. See you in the spring Ron, and thanks again fro the ride to the bus station in Waynesville this year.

tiamalle
09-10-2005, 14:21
Thanks Digger, I'll be looking for you.Spread the word to watch for our post
to April Fool Hiker fest in Franklin and maybe you and lot's of friends can attend.
It will be at Sapphire Inn probably this year also the weekend of April 1St,Ron

C-Stepper
09-11-2005, 11:17
How 'bout adding your name/services to the shuttle list provided by the ATC?

tiamalle
09-11-2005, 19:22
I talked to the folks from Harpers Ferry when I was in Damascas for trail dayz.They were supposed to.I have been so busy I haven't checked upon it but I will.On this day I filled
out some papers and made a donation to the conference,I might ad,I have a trail link with whiteblaze an several other trail websites.Also if you type in tiamalle and hit search
or my website at havensbudgetinn.com it shows it.Is#10 thanks for bringing it to my
attention.Ron

Jack Tarlin
09-14-2005, 11:22
As for other hikers vouching for Ron and his hospitality, I can't speak for everyone, but everything he said in his post is absolutely on the mark.

Great man, great places to stay. Hikers passing thru Franklin would be crazy to miss out on what he's offering; hikers planning to hike next year should take note of this as well as those hiking South this year. With Rainbow Springs Campground closed, most hikers will be heading into Franklin for supplies, R&R, or both. Franklin has turned into a very hiker-friendly town in recent years, and a great deal of this is due to the efforts of Ron Haven.

Lone Wolf
09-14-2005, 11:28
Franklin has always been a hiker friendly town. The Franklin Motel is a great place to stay. I've been staying there for 18 years.

tiamalle
09-14-2005, 21:02
Franklin has always been a hiker friendly town. The Franklin Motel is a great place to stay. I've been staying there for 18 years.what are you tring to say?you made a boo boo or what:dance :datz :datz

Lone Wolf
09-14-2005, 21:07
Huh? I'm saying Franklin has always been a hiker friendly town. The Franklin Motel is a great place to stay. I've been staying there for 18 years. What don't you understand?

tiamalle
09-14-2005, 21:18
[QUOTE=L. Wolf]Huh? I'm saying Franklin has always been a hiker friendly town. The Franklin Motel is a great place to stay. I've been staying there for 18 years. What don't you understand?[/QUOte I agree with here being hiker friendly,I
agree Franklin Motel is a nice motel.But you staying there for 18 years have to do with my thread? Please answer with common sense for a change

Lone Wolf
09-14-2005, 21:27
It's Solace's thread. I was responding to what Jack said about Franklin only recently becoming hiker friendly. It's always been friendly. Jack doesn't know that cuz he only recently started staying there.

orangebug
09-15-2005, 09:01
I am one dissenting vote on The Budget Inn. I made reservations for a Friday night, drove up and was told a manager had been fired and that they had given my room away. Apparently it was a very busy weekend, but no room for 2 small children and their folks.

At least the Days Inn made some effort to find other accomodations.

tiamalle
09-15-2005, 17:05
I am one dissenting vote on The Budget Inn. I made reservations for a Friday night, drove up and was told a manager had been fired and that they had given my room away. Apparently it was a very busy weekend, but no room for 2 small children and their folks.

At least the Days Inn made some effort to find other accomodations.Orangebug what you said was true.I don't say it's not true.When your in business sometimes things happen because of other people.In this case the man staying there left with several things wrong.I was told that there was 2 rooms overbooked because he had misplaced the reservation.If you will call Budget and
leave me your name,number and address I will send you a card for a night free
of lodging good for 1 full year at either motels I own.I can't change the mistake
that was made but I can offer the best I can do.Ron

Frosty
09-15-2005, 18:08
But you staying there for 18 years have to do with my thread? Please answer with common sense for a changeThreads are not static nor are they controlled by the person who started the thread (who wasn't you, BTW). But the "thread" is actually an advertisement. The information is nice, and appreciated. I think it is good to post notices of services offered, but I would hate for every commercial establishment on the AT to have their own thread pushing their service and telling us what we can and cannot discuss. I put a lot more reliance on hiker reports than owners shilling. If the services are good, hikers will show up. Word of mouth is powerful.

My 2 cents.

Nearly Normal
09-15-2005, 21:55
"I put a lot more reliance on hiker reports than owners shilling. If the services are good, hikers will show up. Word of mouth is powerful."

It certainly is.
Everyone I talked to prior to my April visit had only good things to say about Ron. During my stay almost everyone staying at his two hotels were hikers. Both were full. He went way out of his way to take hikers off access points during a snow event. Whether hiking or working magic in the area I will certainly stay there again. Good friendships were made all around.
Pete56

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2005, 15:03
Lone Wolf isn't actually mis-quoting me, but he's stretching things a bit:

1. I never said Franklin used to be unfriendly, or was only recently friendly.
2. What I said, and I wished he'd read more clearly, was that it had become
VERY hiker-friendly in recent years, and I think this is due in no small
measure to the efforts of Ron Haven. I see no reason to retract this
statement, mainly because I believe that it's true.
3. I have in fact stayed at the Franklin Hotel; I'm familiar with it, and had
a good time there. I think other folks hikers will be similarly well-treated
there. It has a fine reputation going back many years.
4. I have stayed in Franklin several times, and not merely "recently" as Wolf
states; my first visit there was in 1998, which isn't exactly "recent."

Lastly, I've heard great things about Ron from dozens of hikers in the past few years, including his extraordinary kindness to hikers who weren't even his guests, especially in regards to his shuttling hikers to and from, as well as all over Franklin, with NO regard as to whether or not they intended to patronize his businesses. This is not the sort of thing one sees often; it really stands out, and is one of the main reasons I said (Let's try this again, Wolf) that Franklin has become a VERY hiker-friendy town in recent years, even more than it used to be, and a great deal of this is due to the efforts of Ron Haven.

neighbor dave
09-18-2005, 11:50
thanks for the lift!!;)

smokymtnsteve
09-18-2005, 17:14
uh Jack...1998 is VERY recent... :rolleyes:

LW was exactly correct :cool:

tiamalle
09-26-2005, 11:28

At least the Days Inn made some effort to find other accomodations.can we expect your:sun vote now?

orangebug
09-26-2005, 11:49
Yes. I didn't get the chance to meet Ron, but he provided me the opportunity to discuss my prior problems, and offered generously to make amends.

Budget Inn was full this weekend, and he arranged for us to stay (GF, her 2 little girls and myself) at the Sapphire Inn - of which he is a part owner. The facility was clean, big and quiet, in spite of our 10 year old's temper tantrum. The Continental Breakfast was much more substantial and Day's Inn and such.

Thank you for the opportunity to visit and to spread the word.

Bill...

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2005, 12:19
Steve---

I don't really understand your post, other than to dis-agree with it.

Let's put it this way: If I saw my best friend last Friday, then I'd say I'd seen him very recently.

If I hadn't seen my best friend in seven and a half years, then I would NOT say we'd been in recent contact. I'd be likelier to think, "Wow! It's been almost eight years, that's a long time!"

Maybe YOU think 1998 was "VERY recent." Most folks would see it differently.

Or to put it another way, my first trip to Franklin was something like eighty-nine months ago, which, when you think about, doesn't exactly make my first trip there a "recent" event.

But thanks for your insightful comment anyway.

tiamalle
09-27-2005, 14:19
How 'bout adding your name/services to the shuttle list provided by the ATC?Thanks 10 the ATC added us to the list Now
If it is needed we accept mail drops free here also for hikers ;) coming to Franklin

smokymtnsteve
09-27-2005, 16:19
all thangs R relative 8 years is a short time....compared to my first visit to franklin over 30 years ago.so yes 1998 is very recent.

tiamalle
10-04-2005, 23:39
uh Jack...1998 is VERY recent... :rolleyes:

LW was exactly correct :cool:Steve,with yor trail name.Are you from near Gatlinburg,Tenn?

orangebug
10-05-2005, 09:07
He used to live in Atlanta, and now is watching the long slow sunrise in Alaska.

tiamalle
10-05-2005, 22:49
O I see,really my question I was wondering if he lived near Gatlinburg.I was wondering if a person could run a small van or bus something like we use can run free shuttles up and
down the 441 parkway from New Found Gap to Gatlinburg.I have a famiy member that is
asking us to buy in half on a motel with him in Gatlinburg.We thought it would be great for hikers.

tiamalle
10-20-2005, 23:44
"I put a lot more reliance on hiker reports than owners shilling. If the services are good, hikers will show up. Word of mouth is powerful."

It certainly is.
Everyone I talked to prior to my April visit had only good things to say about Ron. During my stay almost everyone staying at his two hotels were hikers. Both were full. He went way out of his way to take hikers off access points during a snow event. Whether hiking or working magic in the area I will certainly stay there again. Good friendships were made all around.
Pete56Thanks Pete:I remember when you were there.If ever I can help
you or your friends don't hesitate to call us,Ron