PDA

View Full Version : Taboo's Of hiking the A.T

Happy44
02-20-2014, 12:05
what are some of the things you have done or regretted on the trail that are flat out wrong or taboo, (yellow blazing) , littering , hard drugs, being rude, stealing , ext... plz no murder/rape confessions , i also want this to be a judge free thread , i made this post because on my 2012 hike i met people who considered bad thinks ok, and i wanted to see what others here considered taboo.

i will start with my biggest regret,

just north of pearisburg va i got VERY sick and was blacking out and falling over , i ended up that morning calling my sobo thru hike over , but what i did next haunts me to this day, i left my tent near rice field shelter with a few of my things, i was not in my right mind coming down into pearisburg but what i did was littering and it was bad. i called the atc and told them that my tent was up there and donated 50$ to help with cleanup along the trail ( https://www.appalachiantrail.org/donate )

im leaving for my Nobo thru hike in about a week (march 1st) one of my goals is to pick up every peace of trash i see along the trail. i hope to see some of you guys out there :)

Stay Happy !

Lone Wolf
02-20-2014, 12:14
what's taboo about yellow blazing?

max patch
02-20-2014, 12:16
im leaving for my Nobo thru hike in about a week (march 1st) one of my goals is to pick up every peace of trash i see along the trail. i hope to see some of you guys out there :)

I suggest you avoid all shelters. You will never get out of GA if you include shelter areas in your quest for trash removal.

ighwoman
02-20-2014, 12:21
I concur on that. In Georgia, my biggest concern was: how much of this can I justify carrying, so I can mail it home ASAP and sell it on eBay... Mountain Hardwear pants, bivy bag, belts, AT Companion and Data books... The list goes on and on. It's really amazing how so many pieces of nice equipment becomes redundant so quickly

Happy44
02-20-2014, 12:22
is this really the case?

aficion
02-20-2014, 12:23
1: Hung my hammock in Punch bowl Shelter. Luckily no one else showed up and the shelter did not fall down.
2: Took a bird bath by the picnic table at Maupin Field Shelter, a NOBO couple showed up ten minutes later.

aficion
02-20-2014, 12:25
is this really the case?

Plan instead to pick up one plastic grocery bag full per day. You will make better progress and your "chore" will be done early most days. And thanks.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2014, 12:26
is this really the case?

heck yeah it is. southern shelters are pig stys. the fire pits are toxic

Happy44
02-20-2014, 12:28

i met 2 marines that got into a fist fight about yellow blazing, one said that the other was not a true thru hiker because he yellow blazed a part of SNP

Seatbelt
02-20-2014, 14:30
Sorry to admit that once I didn't cover my poo as well as I should and it was pouring down rain. :(

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2014, 14:42
I've thrown a couple of banana peels and eggshells into the woods, pitched a tent inside a shelter, built a few small fires in places where there was no established ring (while staying as close to LNT as possible), built a fire in NJ at a shelter (ranger showed up to tell me to extinguish it), blue blazed, yellow blazed, pink blazed (I was going for all the colors), participated in public nudity and swimming in a forbidden area (skinny dipping at Sunfish Pond), carried a firearm, fished without a license . . . A definite outlaw ;)

squeezebox
02-20-2014, 14:50
What about dog poop? Cover it ?

Pedaling Fool
02-20-2014, 15:01
I slipped and fell on my hiking pole and broke it coming down that steep hill to Dicks Creek Gap -- extremely muddy that day.

I threw that damn thing out in the woods; that's a major LNT infraction. But it felt so good, I still get a smile on my face watching that pole getting flung out in to the woods :)

A.T.Lt
02-20-2014, 15:15
Sorry to admit that once I didn't cover my poo as well as I should and it was pouring down rain. :(

Oh. Guilty as charged.

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 15:18
The rebel in me likes this thread, very much! Ahh ha ha!!

I like posts #6, 10, 11 &13... I can relate to all of them! :p Woo hoo!!

RedBeerd
02-20-2014, 15:21
Camped at a "no camping" spot. But it was covered in a foot of snow so I assumed damage would be nonexistent.

McPick
02-20-2014, 15:33
Any of you ever load a bottle cap in between your thumb and middle or ring finger, hold it back by your ear (keep elbow high) and click your fingers? The bottle cap sails out like Frisbee if it's done correctly. We used to have contests when we were... well, removing bottle caps from bottles.

I came out on an AT cliff in '06 to enjoy the view. While there, a bunch of stoned out kids showed up and started throwing fire crackers off the cliff. What a racket! I looked down a saw a bunch of broken bottles and dozens of bottle caps... Some were very old, some newer. (Obviously a "locals" party spot.)

I picked up a few of the nicer bottle caps and walked into the middle of those kids. They looked at me like, "What the ****!" I said, "Hey guys... check this out." I cocked a bottle cap and clicked my fingers. The wind was perfect. It caught that cap and it sailed out into forever, down and out of sight beautifully. Those kids thought that was pretty cool. They grabbed some bottle caps and had me show them how to place the caps between their thumbs and fingers to launch them. Took a while, but some of them got it.

I have no idea how much trash there was (or still is) at the bottom of that cliff. But I do know there are a lot more bottle caps down there. And yeah... I still pick up trash every time I hike.

Hill Ape
02-20-2014, 15:47
took my buddy from florida and his uppity yuppy girlfriend hiking. she wanted to camp here, right here. there was no campsite. i cleared one, collected rocks from the trail, made a fire ring, lit a fire because she wanted smores. i felt like a walking LNT violation. it was a great site though, i did good work. still felt dirty for doing it.

jjchgo
02-20-2014, 16:01
Any of you ever load a bottle cap in between your thumb and middle or ring finger, hold it back by your ear (keep elbow high) and click your fingers? The bottle cap sails out like Frisbee if it's done correctly. We used to have contests when we were... well, removing bottle caps from bottles.

I came out on an AT cliff in '06 to enjoy the view. While there, a bunch of stoned out kids showed up and started throwing fire crackers off the cliff. What a racket! I looked down a saw a bunch of broken bottles and dozens of bottle caps... Some were very old, some newer. (Obviously a "locals" party spot.)

I picked up a few of the nicer bottle caps and walked into the middle of those kids. They looked at me like, "What the ****!" I said, "Hey guys... check this out." I cocked a bottle cap and clicked my fingers. The wind was perfect. It caught that cap and it sailed out into forever, down and out of sight beautifully. Those kids thought that was pretty cool. They grabbed some bottle caps and had me show them how to place the caps between their thumbs and fingers to launch them. Took a while, but some of them got it.

I have no idea how much trash there was (or still is) at the bottom of that cliff. But I do know there are a lot more bottle caps down there. And yeah... I still pick up trash every time I hike.

i did the same thing with pennys while out in moab, off a cliff. i'm not proud of myself but i do think i set a world record which i'm pretty proud of:-?

RED-DOG
02-20-2014, 16:14
On my 2006 thru-hike I Cussed out a Section Hiker in the SNP, Oh I also did that in 2012.

bfayer
02-20-2014, 16:18
On my 2006 thru-hike I Cussed out a Section Hiker in the SNP, Oh I also did that in 2012.

Meanie! I bet you hate dogs and small children too.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2014, 16:22

Why?

Not being judgmental here, but as a section hiker I'd like to know what kind of thing would upset a thru to this degree, and if I agree it's faux pas, avoid doing it.

If I don't agree, I'll just cuss you out right back! (and you've never been cussed 'til you've been angry-grandma cussed! :D)

perrymk
02-20-2014, 16:36

Whenever I hear the term 'yellow blazing' I picture someone urinating on a campfire.

Dogwood
02-20-2014, 16:45
Taboo's Of hiking the A.T (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101843-Taboo-s-Of-hiking-the-A-T)
I'd answer but then you'd prolly want to go down my list and commit the taboos. :) Napoleon Bonaparte will have none of that insurrection. :)

fredmugs
02-20-2014, 16:53
Taboos? None
Regrets? A few
Confessions? Plenty

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2014, 17:01
Taboo's Of hiking the A.T (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101843-Taboo-s-Of-hiking-the-A-T)

I'd answer but then you'd prolly want to go down my list and commit the taboos. :) Napoleon Bonaparte will have none of that insurrection. :)

Hey Little Emperor....I love this...embracing a new persona !

Happy44
02-20-2014, 18:25

hehehehee i LoL'd

Prime Time
02-20-2014, 19:04
I suggest you avoid all shelters. You will never get out of GA if you include shelter areas in your quest for trash removal.
HahaaHa. Right. You'd need to bring a dumpster, one of those 30 footers, to get out of Georgia. Some of the shelter fire rings look like open land fill sites and the shelters look like Goodwill Industry dop off points. The pretenders haven't been all weeded out yet.

Prime Time
02-20-2014, 19:11
I pee'd in the privey many times. Never could do 2 without doing 1. I blame poor potty training, and being 60 :)

mrcoffeect
02-20-2014, 19:20
Why?

If I don't agree, I'll just cuss you out right back! (and you've never been cussed 'til you've been angry-grandma cussed! :D)

I love that. I don't want no part of any angy grandma cussin. They are the worst!

kayak karl
02-20-2014, 19:31
Tabbo's; Cannibalism, Bestiality and Zoophilia.. just to name a few, but HYOH ;)

flemdawg1
02-20-2014, 20:11
Threw cig butts into the fire ring.
Took all 4 beers, left at a shelter as trail magic (did split them w/ my buddy)
Told a thruhiker NO when he asked to borrow my butane canister at Davenport Gap Shelter. (you're what? 4 miles from a resupply? Start a campfire)
Ate a cheese burger at a Thruhiker only feed.
Snored at volumes that rivaled a Space Shuttle Launch.
Stealth camped on the land by the cow pastures North of Marion. a-hole farmer shot his gun into the air to run us off.

Last Call
02-20-2014, 20:18
No trash or uneaten food should be put in the fire pits at the shelters, please, they are not the Wal-marts parking lot.

Damn Yankee
02-20-2014, 20:24
After 23 years in the military I am a stickler for cigarettes thrown on the ground even though I am a smoker. Never understood why soldiers would throw there butts on the ground knowing they will have to pick them up anyway, including non-smokers but, occasionally I have poked out a butt and thrown it into the woods rather than putting it in my pocket. I hate myself! Somebody say something worse so I can feel better about myself.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2014, 20:36
I hate myself! Somebody say something worse so I can feel better about myself.

I'm sorry, DY....I just can't imagine anything worse....:D

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 20:42
I'm sorry, DY....I just can't imagine anything worse....

He admitted that he was wrong. Teach forgot the :D.

I forgive you, DY.

MDSection12
02-20-2014, 20:44
After 23 years in the military I am a stickler for cigarettes thrown on the ground even though I am a smoker. Never understood why soldiers would throw there butts on the ground knowing they will have to pick them up anyway, including non-smokers but, occasionally I have poked out a butt and thrown it into the woods rather than putting it in my pocket. I hate myself! Somebody say something worse so I can feel better about myself.
I'm pretty uptight about that one... I don't know why but it gets to me. I'd sooner eat a cigarette butt than throw it in the woods. Pick up the next 100 you see and say ten 'hike your own hikes' and we'll call it good. :p

My guilty admission is burning trash. I only do it when I have a super hot fire, that I know will eradicate it, but I know that's still a no-no. Forgive me WB, I have sinned...

Lone Wolf
02-20-2014, 20:57
oh really? and why? and how do you know they were section hikers

HikerMom58
02-20-2014, 21:00
I'm pretty uptight about that one... I don't know why but it gets to me. I'd sooner eat a cigarette butt than throw it in the woods. Pick up the next 100 you see and say ten 'hike your own hikes' and we'll call it good. :p

My guilty admission is burning trash. I only do it when I have a super hot fire, that I know will eradicate it, but I know that's still a no-no. Forgive me WB, I have sinned...

No-no? I've done it. I like to burn my trash in a super hot fire. It's great! :D

The Cleaner and I are on the same page on this one. We've had this discussion before on WB! Giddy-up!
It's better than dumping it in the ocean.

Damn Yankee
02-20-2014, 21:05
I'll remember picking up butts and also the 10 HYOH's. What no Hail Mary's

Feral Bill
02-20-2014, 22:02
Stealth camped in Harriman SP numerous times, most often at Island Pond.

Different Socks
02-20-2014, 22:05
what are some of the things you have done or regretted on the trail that are flat out wrong or taboo, (yellow blazing) , littering , hard drugs, being rude, stealing , ext... plz no murder/rape confessions , i also want this to be a judge free thread , i made this post because on my 2012 hike i met people who considered bad thinks ok, and i wanted to see what others here considered taboo.

i will start with my biggest regret,

just north of pearisburg va i got VERY sick and was blacking out and falling over , i ended up that morning calling my sobo thru hike over , but what i did next haunts me to this day, i left my tent near rice field shelter with a few of my things, i was not in my right mind coming down into pearisburg but what i did was littering and it was bad. i called the atc and told them that my tent was up there and donated 50$ to help with cleanup along the trail ( https://www.appalachiantrail.org/donate )

Stay Happy !

You did something that it wasn't so taboo as you think it was. Besides it wasn't trash, it was a tent.

Different Socks
02-20-2014, 22:08
Funny that many of you mention all the stuff left at shelters in GA. When I did my thru in 1992, I don't recall there being much and I started my hike in April. Has it changed that much since then or is it b/c there is a greater number of thru hikers now than in 1992?

Happy44
02-20-2014, 22:10
remember guys this was a judge free thread!

Happy44
02-20-2014, 22:12
You did something that it wasn't so taboo as you think it was. Besides it wasn't trash, it was a tent.

i feel so bad about it! it hurts me inside every time i think about it!

Dogwood
02-20-2014, 22:24
AT Ta BOOOOS. Tossing leftover Spaghetti O's, sardine, and Vienna sausage tins into the campfire ring. Using live trees for campfires. Urinating or defecating near the shelter or anywhere in an unconscious way(especially near water!); others have to hike after you! Having the attitude that you are a Greek God because you decided to wander onto the AT. Expecting others to pay your way again and again and .....At least consider offering something in return. Expecting that others have lost their sense of smell and normalcy of hygiene just because you have!

Chair-man
02-20-2014, 22:37
As far a the trail being clean, when I did my section hike from Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap last October I was surprised how clean all the tent sites, fire rings and shelter were. I guess in the spring time the trail gets a lot more use and it's hard for the trail clubs to keep up.
I did see tissue paper along the trail and when I saw it I'd just take my trekking pole and stuff it in the ground.

fiddlehead
02-20-2014, 22:43
I pee'd in the privey many times. Never could do 2 without doing 1. I blame poor potty training, and being 60 :)

I used to think the same thing. THen I went down the grand canyon in a kayak with raft support.
We were filling up the shyters and our leader said to us: You can either stop peeing in them, or we will end up carrying out the shyt in plastic bags and everybody will have to carry their own.
Peeing in the ****ters stopped quickly.
You can learn how to do a lot when you have to.

Taboos: I got caught running once. It felt good.

Hill Ape
02-20-2014, 23:18
about the georgia section, and this is something to think about for any noobs reading this. during the bubble, when so many of the starry eyed romantic "thru" hikers that are destined to drop at neels, or helen, or hiawassee are on the trail, yes, the trail is like a county dump. it is very sad. seems even a complete noob is an expert by the time they've made it past the smokes, they've learned better. but early on, LNT means little. last year i carried out a bag of disgusting smelling garbage from blue mtn, i was parked at unicoi and knew i could get it off trail. i always carry some 50 gallon heavy duty yard bags with me to leave in place.

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2014, 00:55
Taboos: I got caught running once. It felt good.
Please, PLEASE, tell us you were holding scissors too!

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 00:59
I suppose the time me and a buddy camped out one weekend would qualify me. He said he had a beautiful spot. The next morning we saw a sign on a tree over looking our site that read.

No Camping
No Fires
No Alcohol

yep, we broke all three. It was a nice spot though.

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2014, 06:07
I suppose the time me and a buddy camped out one weekend would qualify me. He said he had a beautiful spot. The next morning we saw a sign on a tree over looking our site that read.

No Camping
No Fires
No Alcohol

yep, we broke all three. It was a nice spot though.Like this one in Worthington State Forest? :D

HighLiner
02-21-2014, 07:59
Avoiding really smelly privys; i.e., using the woods instead. I just can't handle the odor sometimes.

Julio
02-21-2014, 10:43
Sounds like you had fun 4eyedbuzzard!

RED-DOG
02-21-2014, 11:31
Funny that many of you mention all the stuff left at shelters in GA. When I did my thru in 1992, I don't recall there being much and I started my hike in April. Has it changed that much since then or is it b/c there is a greater number of thru hikers now than in 1992?
On all my thru's the trashiest state was PA hands down.

takethisbread
02-21-2014, 18:56
I once "flogged the dolphin" in a shelter while others were in it . I'm guessing that's considered taboo. I'm ashamed. I don't think anyone saw or heard :(

I would like to say it will never happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickb
02-21-2014, 19:31
I really wanted to know the etymology of that one, but alas the Urban Dictionary was no help.

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 20:10
I once "flogged the dolphin" in a shelter while others were in it . I'm guessing that's considered taboo. I'm ashamed. I don't think anyone saw or heard :(

I would like to say it will never happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Say ten hail Mary's and post your anonymous story here.

https://www.facebook.com/HikerTrashConfessions

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 20:17
Like this one in Worthington State Forest? :D

Not only like that, but exactly like that one...was it next to a small stream, just at the bottom of a little hill?:o

i can't wait to see the look on my buddy face when I show him this post, some 35 years ago...he's gonna flip. Thanks buzzard

Mother Natures Son
02-21-2014, 20:26
You mean that you spanked the monkey? Na, that's nothing. It GA, one young couple got it on after they thought everyone was sleeping. How can you sleep with that going on? LOL

Happy44
02-21-2014, 21:37
in the darlington shelter PA a couple got it on right above me and about 5 ish minutes the couple stopped and paused (wispers) then out right asked me to join them!.... for the 5 mins all i could think about was joining in but after i was asked i said nothing and then they continued and finished. after that night i vowed to myself that i would take more risks and be less beta male............. #dat beta life

moose717
02-21-2014, 23:03

No Camping
No Fires
No Alcohol

yep, we broke all three. It was a nice spot though.

This was our site last August in Harriman, near 3rd reservoir. You can see the signs right above one of the hike leaders tent :P

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 23:39
This was our site last August in Harriman, near 3rd reservoir. You can see the signs right above one of the hike leaders tent :P
now that looks like a pretty spot.:D

Night Train
02-22-2014, 00:54
Low Gap shelter....minding my own business, eating. Had a small herd of boy scouts come running, full bore, to the stream in front of the shelter from the trail. First one tripped and plowed a furrow with his nose right into the stream with 4 others in tow, I was on the ground crying, Keystone cops couldn't have pulled off a better skit. Scout leader didn't find me near as charming, he promptly scolded me about laughing about others misfortunes. Lesson learned.

Night Train
02-22-2014, 00:56
in the darlington shelter PA a couple got it on right above me and about 5 ish minutes the couple stopped and paused (wispers) then out right asked me to join them!.... for the 5 mins all i could think about was joining in but after i was asked i said nothing and then they continued and finished. after that night i vowed to myself that i would take more risks and be less beta male............. #dat beta life
Only person I know who looked a gift horse in the mouth. Bazinga!

jdc5294
02-23-2014, 09:45
Low Gap shelter....minding my own business, eating. Had a small herd of boy scouts come running, full bore, to the stream in front of the shelter from the trail. First one tripped and plowed a furrow with his nose right into the stream with 4 others in tow, I was on the ground crying, Keystone cops couldn't have pulled off a better skit. Scout leader didn't find me near as charming, he promptly scolded me about laughing about others misfortunes. Lesson learned.
Eagle scout here, I would've laughed too. And laughed at the leader.

Kerosene
02-23-2014, 11:41
As another Eagle Scout and long-time Boy Scout, I would've been roaring as long as no one was phyically injured.

FooFighter'12
02-23-2014, 13:35
I pissed in a hotel laundromat trash can in Front Royal. I had someone give me a couple beers as trail magic and the urge hit me so hard while i was loading the washer that I knew I would not make it back to my room in time. Terrible, I know.

max patch
02-23-2014, 13:39
I pissed in a hotel laundromat trash can in Front Royal. I had someone give me a couple beers as trail magic and the urge hit me so hard while i was loading the washer that I knew I would not make it back to my room in time. Terrible, I know.

Another reason why I have no hard feelings toward the Kent laundry lady.

FooFighter'12
02-23-2014, 13:44
Another reason why I have no hard feelings toward the Kent laundry lady.
Yeah, me neither.

lemon b
03-01-2014, 12:31
Over the years. Early on fires made where ever seemed safe to me. When I was cold and needed to dry out. Also, have left a messy campsite. One time because my son was sick and I was in a rush. Informed others what was going on and they understood and took care of it. Another time left a messy campsite, ended up in the hospital. On that one once discharged I wrote to a friend who worked with parks and rec and told him what had happened.

Don't feel guilty about any of this. Early on just did not know better. With illness one is powerless. In the second case I regret not making a phone call from hospital.

Try and always pick up behind others these days. Also, these days I'll bailout if not feeling well before my denial creates a situation where someone else has to pick up after me. Today I try and set a good example.

xokie
03-01-2014, 13:01

I am reminded of "field Stripping" cigarette butts. Tear a strip down the side, let the remaining tobacco loose in the wind, wad up the paper and put it in your pocket. (I don't know how this would work with your fancy new filter cigarettes)

Damn Yankee
03-01-2014, 14:22
You just empty them as you would and put the filters in your pocket. I have done this for many years. When you find trash can throw them away or just put them in a zip lock baggie until you can throw them away.

Adriana
03-03-2014, 07:17
I'm a day-hiker on the AT. I have let my dog go off-leash and let her drink out of and play in creeks. How many HYOH for this?

Adriana
03-03-2014, 07:19
I take visitors to our North Georgia home to Mountain Crossings at Neels gap to ogle at the hikers coming off of Blood Mountain. After a couple of days of bad weather they make quite the tourist atteaction!

Dahoyt
03-03-2014, 13:04
One time when I was sick in the woods, I walked to a nearby pond a few hundred yards from my tent site., trying to get service. I pulled out my IPhone 3, held it up looking for a known spot of service, and dropped it in the pond. I fished it out but to no avail, it was already a goner. Between that and being sick, I went to my campsite, started packing, but between being mad about the phone, and being sick, I didn't feel like taking down my tent, so I left it on the platform. I still feel terrible, it was 3 years ago or so, and always wondered how long it sat there fully set up until someone took it...

shakey_snake
03-04-2014, 15:51
Somewhere in PA my wife and I were in a shelter and after everyone got to sleep we started doing our thing. Next thing I know some creeper guy is staring at us, so I was like, "What do you want to join or something?" he didn't say anything and just kept staring. I didn't break eye contact with him until I finished. Dude was a total creep.

j/k

bfayer
03-04-2014, 16:58
Somewhere in PA my wife and I were in a shelter and after everyone got to sleep we started doing our thing. Next thing I know some creeper guy is staring at us, so I was like, "What do you want to join or something?" he didn't say anything and just kept staring. I didn't break eye contact with him until I finished. Dude was a total creep.

j/k

Really? You were doing it a public place and he was the creep?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

flemdawg1
03-04-2014, 17:27
Really? You were doing it a public place and he was the creep?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

the "j/k" at the bottom of his message stands for Just Kidding.

jbwood5
03-04-2014, 17:28
Had a few too many beers at the Doyle...

Not a problem except for the headache the next day for 5-6 miles (HUI). I forgot what 14 pound weight loss can do to change your tolerance for alcohol. :)