PDA

View Full Version : Wool Tee Shirt Brands

Sparrow2013
02-20-2014, 21:51
Is there any strong recommendation for or against various 100% merino wool brands for 3 season, short sleeve. Minus 33, smart wool, icebreaker, etc. Sales come and go on amazon and the discount outfitters.

Mando12
02-21-2014, 10:03
Is there any strong recommendation for or against various 100% merino wool brands for 3 season, short sleeve. Minus 33, smart wool, icebreaker, etc. Sales come and go on amazon and the discount outfitters.

I have no recommendation, but am also interested in the topic. I met a few folks on the trail last year that raved about the comfort of the wool tshirts. AND claimed that they did not retain odors as the synthetics do.

DocMahns
02-21-2014, 10:20
I went with minus 33 for my wool shirt, I haven't thru hiked with it but it's very comfortable, lightweight, soft, and fitted.

Nooga
02-21-2014, 10:34
I have both Icebreaker and Smartwool and like them very much. They are not as durable and dry slower than synthetic, but to me they are much more comfortable and the no stink factor is great.

TurboPants
02-21-2014, 10:41
While I understand people's resentment about Minus33 (made in china) just about ALL clothing is made in Asia, and the majority of cotton products come out of China. The best thing I could find right now was at campmor, they had Terramar base layers for ~$45 for tops and bottoms. They did not have my size for a SS tee shirt so that's what I'm looking for as well. I've spent a week reading reviews on merino clothing, icebreaker may be a bankbreaker but they have the best reviews from thru hikers on the various forums. The patagonia capilene tees get good review too. After talking to them they recommended their merino blend tee since the capilene is very thin, so you are back over $55 for a tee. There are no cheap options if you want a soft merino tee. Sad to say! Buy what you can afford.

For the record, synthetics stink in 4-6 hours and never stop stinking after that after several washes. The only thing that will stop poly shirts from stinking is a match and gasoline; problem gone!

Shae
02-21-2014, 11:49

Expensive but I'm completely sold on Icebreaker shirts. I have a couple of shortsleeve and one longsleeve and I seem to have one of them on all the time. Hiking, skiing, lounging. Great suggestions for receiving as Christmas gifts, Father's Day, etc.

QiWiz
02-21-2014, 12:04
Expensive but I'm completely sold on Icebreaker shirts.

+1
Have not tried them all, but I also like Icebreakers a lot. Wait for sales.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 12:07
These are the brands I have and my comments:

SS Icebreaker - fits good, like a lot...about $30.
SS and LS Smartwool - fits good, like a lot...about $36 each.
LS Stoic - poor fit, too tight under the arm pits...have to make myself wear it...
SS Minus 33 - fits a little loose, material a little on the heavy side, wear around the house but not on the trail...$20.
LS Minus 33 - comfortable loose fit, material is heavy but warm, very soft, wear around the house but not on the trail...$20.
SS Backcounty - probably my favorite, lightweight, slightly snug fit but works well under another LS shirt...$35
LS Terramar - good fit, lightweight, bargain buy, like it a lot...$45
LS Polar Edge (Academy) - about the same as the Terramar, great buy, normally $45, got on sale for 1/2 price...$22.50.

squeezebox
02-21-2014, 12:25
I got mine from Sierra Trading Post recently

Tim Causa
02-21-2014, 13:02
I have icebreaker and smart wool; absolutely love them both. Someone mentioned slower drying times... I didn't really notice that and quite frankly I think wool is more comfortable and less cool when drying. I wear a wool tshirt for all 4 seasons; NO STINK during summer which is why I don't even use my poly shirts anymore.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 14:49
I have icebreaker and smart wool; absolutely love them both. Someone mentioned slower drying times... I didn't really notice that and quite frankly I think wool is more comfortable and less cool when drying. I wear a wool tshirt for all 4 seasons; NO STINK during summer which is why I don't even use my poly shirts anymore.

To me it drys as fast as synthetic, I can be soaked with sweat when I reach a camp site and by the time camp is set up I'm usually dry...and no, I'm not that slow at setting up a tent.

LAF
02-21-2014, 15:05
I'm an Icebreaker's guy. Always wear one of their Tee's: in the winter, it's my 1st layer and build from there. Summer, that's my only top unless it's raining, and shoulder season sometimes I just need that a good windbreaker while I'm walking. Heck, I've just worn a 150 wt with a windbreaker goin up the Whites the 1st of Mar. It works for me so I won't change it. Love the no (less) stink factor, synthetics and me don't get along.

hikernutcasey
02-21-2014, 15:51
I wear a wool tshirt for all 4 seasons; NO STINK during summer which is why I don't even use my poly shirts anymore.
Isn't wool in the summer hot? How are they temperature wise compared to poly?

LAF
02-21-2014, 15:56

works for sheep ;)

ok, ok, .... for me, it seems no different than synthetics, works to keep you warm in cold but helps to wick moisture to the surface in summer and cool (evaporative effect). synthetics do dry quicker no doubt, and are cheaper

Tim Causa
02-21-2014, 16:00

Negative, I'd say it's more comfortable when it's hot out as I fee i's less abrasive on the skin when you're sweaty aka no chafing. I honestly feel as though I wasted lots of money on my clothes because I never wear any of my poly shirts anymore.

jeremiah j
02-21-2014, 16:12
I have only tried Icebreaker and Smart Wool. Like them both a lot. Do not really think they are hotter than synthetic. Definitely more comfortable. A little bit expensive.

sfdoc
02-21-2014, 16:16
REI has Patagonia Merino wool T-shiets on sale right now, $48.00.

martinb
02-21-2014, 16:22
No, definitely not hotter. The only thing I do not like about my lightweight smart wool tees is the snag factor. They will snag on anything and are prone to holes easier than my synth tees. The trade-off for comfort, I suppose.

marjirob
02-21-2014, 16:28
I own and wear Icebreaker and Smartwool shirts and I love them. High quality wool shirts are very comfortable and breathable. Even if I get the wool shirt wet (rain or sweat) it is still comfortable.

Sara
02-21-2014, 16:33
I love Icebreaker and I always wait around for a sale before purchasing.
New shirts sometimes feel a bit scratchy until they are "broken in".

Sparrow2013
02-21-2014, 22:44
Dry bones where are you finding these prices? Most of these are retail above $70 and at discounters are around $50.

Meriadoc
02-21-2014, 22:48
Dry bones where are you finding these prices? Most of these are retail above $70 and at discounters are around $50.
Prices do seem to have taken a $20 jump since I last purchased a wool base layer. Watch for sales and check discounts.

I just found some wool base layers on clearance at LLBeans' Portland store for $35. I don't know if the same deal is online.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 22:49

Watch fall sales, I just don't buy stuff if it's not on sale, got the Smartwool at REI, the Minus 33 at a local outfitter in Gadsden, Terramar from Campmor, Polar Edge at Academy, the rest off the internet.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 22:53
No, definitely not hotter. The only thing I do not like about my lightweight smart wool tees is the snag factor. They will snag on anything and are prone to holes easier than my synth tees. The trade-off for comfort, I suppose.

I have several shirts with small holes in the front at the waist line, couldn't figure out where they were coming from, thought it was from the gym, finally determined I was closing them in my pack buckle when I sinched it up when I had the shirt tail out.

Tim Causa
02-21-2014, 23:56
Rei outlet is a gold mine for wool from icebreaker and smart wool, just have to check frequently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scooterdogma
02-22-2014, 07:21
Ok, sensitive skin and hard on shirts preface to my opinion, I have used Terramar, Icebreaker and Smartwool. The med or heavy weight hold up against holes, picks and abrasions from the pack or me. The light weight from all brands, boom, I can have a hole in them in one outing. They clean up fine in the washer, but, I don't put them in the dryer, I hang dry. I have found the Smartwool to be the softest against my skin, Icebreaker second and Terramar is so scratchy I don't even buy it anymore. I wear wool during all four seasons. It doesn't stink and feels better against my skin than synthetic shirts. I buy only on sale at Campmor, Sierra trading Post and/or REI. I am a Smartwool shirt fan forever :)

Turk6177
02-22-2014, 11:18
I liked my merino wool shirt, however, within a couple days it got very pilly and think from where my pack rubbed on it on my back. I didn't have a lot of luck with the longevity of the fabric. That being said, however, I probably should have used it as a "true base layer" and had a synthetic shirt on top of it.

hammer
02-22-2014, 11:24
I hike mostly in March and recently bought a long sleeve wool base layer shirt with a zipper and a zip pocket from a small company called KUIU. It is much more comfortable to me than synthetic. I notice they have Ts as well. Not cheap, but I don't buy that many. Will test it out soon on the trail, but so far I love the wool and it is a perfect weight. I will check out some of the other sites listed above as well. I prefer natural fibers like cotton and wool and am glad to discover more choices than synthetic.

CarlZ993
02-22-2014, 11:30
I hiked primarily with an Icebreaker S/S T-shirt underneath my L/S hiking shirt (Mountain Hardwear). I liked it. It didn't seem to be a durable as other synthetic shirts I've used in the past, though. I developed some small holes in it during my hike.

Odd Man Out
02-22-2014, 11:37
I just got a LS Smartwool top and Icebreaker bottom from Sierra TP. They had a clearance sale, so it was hit or miss as to what they had in my size (hence the "mismatched" top and bottom). Plus there was really good coupon on top of the sale price. Got each piece for just under 40$. I haven't had them hiking yet (it's been really cold and snowy, in case you hadn't heard). But with the deep freeze in place this past winter, they have gotten plenty of use as base layers. I especially like the Smartwool top as it is a micro-weight with 1/4 zip top and hvery fine blue and black stripes (looks nice). It may have been a close-out special since I don't see it on the SW or STP web sites anymore.

Mac Solo
02-22-2014, 16:49
If you look into icebreaker as a company they have strong eno - friendly business practices. Long term contract with producers, green factories and other methods to ensure that the entire process, from farmer to thru-hiker, everyone gets a fair deal. Just like the fact they sell a quality product at a competitive price and still strives for sustainability. Gets my vote.

Prime Time
02-22-2014, 21:50
I use Ibex products year round. Great quality and made in Vermont!

Drybones
02-22-2014, 21:56
Academy has Polar Edge 1/2-zip merino LS tees for $44.99, catch them on sale like I did and get them for half price, and they should be on sale shortly.

Lady Grey
02-22-2014, 23:17
Another vote for Prime Time's suggestion of the Ibex brand. I've worn both Ibex and Icebreaker and they're both good. If you don't mind online shopping you can usually find discounted models and pick them up a lot more reasonably than the normal retail price. I used to only wear synthetics and now can't stand the smell!

Drybones
03-03-2014, 19:34
These are the brands I have and my comments:

SS Icebreaker - fits good, like a lot...about $30.
SS and LS Smartwool - fits good, like a lot...about $36 each.
LS Stoic - poor fit, too tight under the arm pits...have to make myself wear it...
SS Minus 33 - fits a little loose, material a little on the heavy side, wear around the house but not on the trail...$20.
LS Minus 33 - comfortable loose fit, material is heavy but warm, very soft, wear around the house but not on the trail...$20.
SS Backcounty - probably my favorite, lightweight, slightly snug fit but works well under another LS shirt...$35
LS Terramar - good fit, lightweight, bargain buy, like it a lot...$45
LS Polar Edge (Academy) - about the same as the Terramar, great buy, normally $45, got on sale for 1/2 price...$22.50.

Well, that $20 long sleeve Minus 33 wool 1/4 zip is a little more expensive now, hiking Friday night, got warm and took the LS off and secured it on top of my pack, started to rain later on so I stopped to put on my rain jacket which was in my pack instead of in the back pack pocket where it normally is (0% chance of rain), laid the shirt down and left it there in the dark, drove 120 miles today and hiked 6 to get it but someone beat me to it...hope they enjoy it as much as I did. Wouldn't have gone back after it but it was my most comfortable and warm shirt.

Leanthree
03-03-2014, 19:48
I got a couple cheap Stoic Marino shirts on SteepNCheap about a year ago, got a bit pilly and the fit is a bit odd (long length is good for not riding up, tight in the chest shows off my non-existent muscles. Overall it isn't perfect but for the price well worth it.

Drybones
03-03-2014, 19:52
I got a couple cheap Stoic Marino shirts on SteepNCheap about a year ago, got a bit pilly and the fit is a bit odd (long length is good for not riding up, tight in the chest shows off my non-existent muscles. Overall it isn't perfect but for the price well worth it.

I had the same issue with the Stoic, I either have too many muscles up top or they're too small...I'd like to believe the former.

CoffeeBager
03-03-2014, 20:49
Steep & Cheap has a wool category on sale today and tomorrow if anybody's shopping for wool. Quite a bit of stuff at 50% off and a decent selection of sizes still.
http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/wool#?gender=&size=&brand=

goin'4ahike
03-03-2014, 21:26
Steep & Cheap has a wool category on sale today and tomorrow if anybody's shopping for wool. Quite a bit of stuff at 50% off and a decent selection of sizes still.
http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/wool#?gender=&size=&brand=

Thank you, CoffeeBager!

Dogwood
03-03-2014, 22:31
I've been a long time user of merino wool shirts. I used to swear by Smartwool. Smartwool's micro wt tees don't hold up well although I love the performance even on 100*+ desert treks. I get some inconsistent durability, especially not appreciated when dropping $50 on a tee shirt, with lower than about 150 wt(light to mid wt) Smartwool tees. Same with my Icebreaker GT 1/4 zip UL tees(these are $$$ but love the performance!). Love both but not so much the potential durability issues. These are both very lite wt. Just catching them in my backpack's belt buckle can tear those litest wt tees or create pulls that start unraveling more and more. Uggh! If you are going for the merino torso pieces try 150 wt and up in the tees. You'll get better durability. Icebreaker, Smartwool, Ibex, Minus 33, and GoLite make them. I think Patagonia has their version as well. All my long sleeve merino pieces hold up very well though with the lightest weight being something comparable to a 150 wt. I have a 260 wt Icebreaker long sleeved 1/2 zip that I still use for layering that has been with me on five or more thru-hikes prolly more than 8000 trail miles on it. It's getting near the end of it's hiking life though. I've stitched it up so many times. Be mindful that the Icebreaker Body Fit line has a trim athletic cut.

Minus 33 makes a good price point entry into merino wool torso pieces. The two Minus 33 long sleeved 1/2 zip mid wts I bought for$18 each 7 yrs ago at The Frugal Backpacker clearance store near Asheville are holding up extremely well after much use, same with my Ibex Shah full zip front I picked up new on a clearance rack in Colorado for $38(that was a deal!). I bought MAPP 150 wt GoLite 100 % merino wool tees at various Golite outlets for $26 each that have held up decently well and I've been happy with.

Some things I've learned about merino wool. Wash on gentle cycle preferably with other light wt pieces WITHOUT overloading the washer and washing with heavy wt clothing. In other words, I've learned the hard way after destroying several pricey wt merino pieces that I can't load up a washer in town and wash all clothing together. DO NOT wash light wt merino wool pieces with other clothing that has zippers, toggles, velcro, snaps, etc.! Dry all you merino flat in the shade. Wash merino and if you have the opp in a front loading washer. It's easier on clothing especially light wt merino pieces.

CoffeeBager
03-04-2014, 09:30
I really like my lightweight Icebreaker long sleeved shirt, but last year I got a MUSA wool T-shirt from Rivendell Bikes: http://www.rivbike.com/Tops-s/126.htm
It's much more durable for wearing with a pack, so it's my go-to hiking shirt now, and I'll probably buy a long-sleeved from them later this year. I bought my wool long-johns from them back in 2005, and they are still going strong with only a little pilling (significantly less than with a newer pair of Smartwool long johns) even though I wear them on my bike and through half the winter at home.