PDA

View Full Version : Yummy Albacore Tuna?

Dogwood
02-20-2014, 23:06
Found these in the store today. Bumblebee Albacore Tuna in 2.5 oz foil packages, each 170 cals/oz in three different flavors(Chipotle & Olive Oil, Jalapenos & Olive Oil, Sundried Tomatoes & Olive Oil). I paid $1.38/package. The site I found picturing them says their price is $3.09 though. Seems like a good cals/oz ratio compared to reg Albacore or Tuna packed in water AND sounds darn tastier than the reg tuna packed in water too. I'm going to try them in burritos and with a Knorrs Sides. Still have good amts of protein too. http://www.shopfoodex.com/bumble-prime-fillet-albacore-tuna-sundried-tomatoes-olive-pouch-p-52569.html

rocketsocks
02-20-2014, 23:10
I'm always hesitant on buying something that is flavored, cause many times it to strong for my taste, but i'll take your word for it, and a chance, thanks DW.

Dogwood
02-20-2014, 23:11
http://www.shopfoodex.com/bumble-prime-fillet-albacore-tuna-chipotle-olive-pouch-p-52568.html http://www.shopfoodex.com/bumble-prime-fillet-albacore-tuna-sundried-tomatoes-olive-pouch-p-52569.html?page=2&sort=2a http://www.munchiemarket.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6702&osCsid=9a9f7c265147d02d2c5cc05384f6658b

Dogwood
02-20-2014, 23:20
I just used that site to show the nutrition and present a picture. That's not the normal price. It's less than that. That was a site that adds in delivery costs. The price for these are regularly in the neighborhood of what I paid at a local large grocery store when not on sale. Considering that Reg Bumblebee Albacore packed in water is 80 cals for the same 2.5 oz package this is providing more than twice the cals with the same wt while also introducing some added flavor. Here check out the difference in nutrition. This is the Albacore in water. http://www.shopfoodex.com/bumble-albacore-tuna-water-pouch-p-32918.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Merchant%2BCenter&utm_campaign=Feed&gclid=CNmb0-af3LwCFcY7OgodfwEA3A Don't confuse the cans with the foil packs either because the same flavors are available in both. The

Hill Ape
02-20-2014, 23:21
they're great, i eat them at home and usually pack 2 a day on the trail. family size

rocketsocks
02-20-2014, 23:59
Yeah, I like Olive oil, and sun dried tomatoes, but sometimes those sundries can be just to darn strong an over power the main dish...for my liking...will give it a try.

Feral Bill
02-21-2014, 00:06
I'm interested. Very interested.

Damn Yankee
02-21-2014, 09:37
I eat them all the time and they come in other flavors also. Yummmmmo

lonehiker
02-21-2014, 10:11
I had quit using tuna as the regular only had 70 calories and had switched to spam at 210. With this tuna being .5 oz lighter than spam, it makes the cal per oz about the same 70 vs 68. Might start taking tuna again as I like it with my ramen. Thanks for posting this.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 12:24
I eat them all the time and they come in other flavors also. Yummmmmo

Where do you get them?

Damn Yankee
02-21-2014, 12:54
it is found at your local supermarket along with the other canned tuna, usually standing up either in display boxes or on shelf. Also check out complete dry bean soup mixes in the international isle. All you do is add to water and simmer. Comes in many different flavors and is only 1"x5" packages and very light. Great protein source

slovakiasteph
02-21-2014, 21:08
A packet of this with a tortilla (or two) makes a good trail lunch! I've tried them before.

Doc Mike
02-21-2014, 21:13
They have them at Walmart and Kroger here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnnyjohnson2043
02-22-2014, 15:59
I've been taking a packet of plane Starkist Albacore Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's about 190 calories!

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2014, 16:10
What I have found, generally, is that the prices for canned stuff are quite a bit cheaper for the same quantity of food.
When foil packaging first hit the marketplace my first reaction was, wow lighter weight. But I have found that an empty can doesn't weigh much more than an empty foil pack. When you factor in the quantity of food, often the empty smaller portion foil packs weigh more than an empty can given the same weight of food. Cans are surprising light, or should I say, the foil packs are surprisingly heavy.

Dogwood
02-22-2014, 16:26
I've been taking a packet of plane Starkist Albacore Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's about 190 calories!

Are you sure that wasn't the Yellowtail Tuna in Olive Oil in 2.6 oz foil packages. I was getting that for a while but I'm not noticing it on shelves anywhere where I used to buy it. That was a sweet 190 cal/oz! Everywhere I found it it was priced quite a bit higher than these newer to me versions which just last night I found for $1.29/package. That's another reason why I like these newer to me tuna versions - they are substantially less expensive and I eat quite a bit of tuna on trail. Starkist does offer a Chunk Light Tuna in Sunflower Oil in 2.6 oz foild packets at 150 cals/oz.

Dogwood
02-22-2014, 16:30
What I have found, generally, is that the prices for canned stuff are quite a bit cheaper for the same quantity of food.
When foil packaging first hit the marketplace my first reaction was, wow lighter weight. But I have found that an empty can doesn't weigh much more than an empty foil pack. When you factor in the quantity of food, often the empty smaller portion foil packs weigh more than an empty can given the same weight of food. Cans are surprising light, or should I say, the foil packs are surprisingly heavy.

It's interesting that you say that. It seems to me canned tuna has much more liquid or water wt than than the same tuna in foil packets. Is that just my perception? The thing about cans though for me is that they will not burn as the foil packets will in a very hot campfire.

Dogwood
02-22-2014, 16:41
4eyedbuzzard, compare Chunk light Tuna packed in water in foil 2.6 oz foil packets with it in 3 oz cans. Same 70 cals in each. They are putting more water in the canned tuna!

johnnyjohnson2043
02-22-2014, 16:47
Are you sure that wasn't the Yellowtail Tuna in Olive Oil in 2.6 oz foil packages. I was getting that for a while but I'm not noticing it on shelves anywhere where I used to buy it. That was a sweet 190 cal/oz! Everywhere I found it it was priced quite a bit higher than these newer to me versions which just last night I found for $1.29/package. That's another reason why I like these newer to me tuna versions - they are substantially less expensive and I eat quite a bit of tuna on trail. Starkist does offer a Chunk Light Tuna in Sunflower Oil in 2.6 oz foild packets at 150 cals/oz.

Oops. You're right. It was the Yellowfin. I've thought about those flavored varieties but I haven't tried them yet. I might start just picking up the plain tuna and adding olive oil myself. It doesn't take much to add a ton of calories. It'd probably be a lot cheaper that way anyway.

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2014, 17:07
4eyedbuzzard, compare Chunk light Tuna packed in water in foil 2.6 oz foil packets with it in 3 oz cans. Same 70 cals in each. They are putting more water in the canned tuna!I was more thinking of the Albacore / solid white in oil (I don't care for the texture of "light" tuna). Much less fluid in solid tuna than in the "light" stuff, and lots of calories from the oil (no, I don't drain it, and worry more about getting enough calories than too few).

Deacon
02-22-2014, 17:31
I get on food kicks every from time to time, and right now I eat a couple of packets of tuna for lunch every day. Usually have ranch flavor or hot spice. Wally carries Starkist in many varieties.

garbanz
02-22-2014, 18:12
These spiced up tuna packets appeal to my palate. I haven't seen them in Indiana. Are they available along the trail (PCT)?

Drybones
02-22-2014, 18:35
I finally found these at good ole Walmart, got the jalapenos & olive oil and the sun dried tomato, I'm looking forward to trying them out this week end, 11 of us have a Pinhoti hike planned starting Friday night...Heflin ranger station to Burns trailhead.

lonehiker
02-22-2014, 19:51
Ever wonder why fire pits are full of trash at shelters and other camp sites? And, this is from an experienced hiker.

The thing about cans though for me is that they will not burn as the foil packets will in a very hot campfire.

Those foil packets will not completely burn.

Dogwood
02-23-2014, 04:16
...burn as the foil packets will in a very hot campfire.

If they don't fully burn up I pack it out.

Meriadoc
02-23-2014, 05:53

This works. Lots of folks just leave it there when there is incomplete combustion which is one reason why there is trash in the fire pit.

Drybones
02-23-2014, 10:57

Must take a lot of time waiting to see if they burn completely.

Dogwood
02-23-2014, 16:44
Makes for mesmerizing camp television. Sometimes accompanied by an entertaining sizzling sound. There are worse things that a person can do. I do make sure it burns up all the way or pick it out of the campfire and carry it out.

rocketsocks
02-23-2014, 17:05
Makes for mesmerizing camp television. Sometimes accompanied by an entertaining sizzling sound. There are worse things that a person can do. I do make sure it burns up all the way or pick it out of the campfire and carry it out.
I love the blue greens, and the vertical hold a copper dish loofah has.

Drybones
02-23-2014, 19:53

Yeah.....right.