PDA

View Full Version : Postholer AT Maps ?

LAF
02-21-2014, 15:41
I like maps :) so i purchased postholers AT southern section. like the maps. Question/correction? In the books legend it states the major / minor contour lines to be 400/80 ft respectively. However, unless I'm being really stupid (entirely possible) the contours are actually 200/40 ft respectively (2800 to 3000 major as an example).

Also noticed some differences in mileage on the maps vs. what is in AWOL's guide; random pick: winding stair gap: AWOL=109.8; Postholer=112.6

I'm guessing AWOL's data is more accurate because of when it was compiled but that is an assumption, and we all know about assumptions. Not overly concerning, just time on my hands.

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 16:42
Rut Roh Raggy...right you are LAF 200 foot intervals on the majors and 40 foot on the minors. good catch! Don't have awols book in front of me right now, but will check it out too.

Oops, don't have/own current awols guide.

Same applys to Northern and central States books, again good catch. I think folks would just look at the maps data and go with that...wouldn't be a bad idea to contact postholer and let him though....again good catch.

you are clearly ready for your thru-hike:)

CarlZ993
02-21-2014, 17:02
I got Postholer's Maps for my 2013 hike. I didn't like how the mileage was quite different from Awol's guide. I didn't feel like I needed the maps so I sent them home. I did pick up a map of the Whites when I got to Hanover. That one came in handy.

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't buy the maps.

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 17:23
I got Postholer's Maps for my 2013 hike. I didn't like how the mileage was quite different from Awol's guide. I didn't feel like I needed the maps so I sent them home. I did pick up a map of the Whites when I got to Hanover. That one came in handy.

I like the books for there 1:40,000 scale, gives me a nice over view of the surrounding area and peaks to shoot a bearing.

LAF
02-21-2014, 18:06

Definitely want maps for the whites; I've got a set of AMC's maps that I've used regularly, will use those again for that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

postholer.com
02-21-2014, 19:45
...the contours are actually 200/40 ft respectively...

Also noticed some differences in mileage on the maps vs. what is in AWOL's guide; random pick: winding stair gap: AWOL=109.8; Postholer=112.6

Yes, the evils of cutting & pasting. :) You are the first to mention this, though I did catch it after the fact. It wasn't end 'o the world type of error so I looked the other way.

The mileages will always be different given 2 different sources. The important thing to note, if you gather 'it's about 10 miles' between points A and B, that will get you there. Obviously, it would be great if every source had the same mileages. Given the imperfect nature of this over such a long distance, it's unlikely that's the case!

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, it's always appreciated!

-postholer

LAF
02-21-2014, 19:51
Yes, the evils of cutting & pasting. :) You are the first to mention this, though I did catch it after the fact. It wasn't end 'o the world type of error so I looked the other way.

The mileages will always be different given 2 different sources. The important thing to note, if you gather 'it's about 10 miles' between points A and B, that will get you there. Obviously, it would be great if every source had the same mileages. Given the imperfect nature of this over such a long distance, it's unlikely that's the case!

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, it's always appreciated!

-postholer

Mileages are understood, would never expect them to the same actually, different data sources, etc; and the legend doesn't really bother me, once you look at the maps you get the contour intervals. Just what happens when I'm inside and not outside; if you ever need a proof reader you know where to find one, all you gotta do is lock me inside :)
and I do like the maps!