PDA

View Full Version : precious items

squeezebox
02-21-2014, 16:57
What luxury item / precious item did you /will you bring with you ?
Did someone really carry a tuba with him?
I'll probably bring a penny whistle and sheet music, the squeeze box is too big and can't get wet.

martinb
02-21-2014, 17:04
151 :banana

peakbagger
02-21-2014, 17:12
I would seriously consider leaving any extra items at home and then once you get your trail legs and have gotten rid of stuff you thought essential then have the item sent to you. Mountain Crossings sends tons of essential gear home every year that folks quickly found out were none essential. Unfortunately the ridge runner also gets to collect some also (not by choice).

Sierra2015
02-21-2014, 17:17
My dog. Lol

Hot Flash
02-21-2014, 17:34
Arturo Fuente cigars and 15-yr-old El Dorado rum.

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 17:54
the loud crinkly Neo Air I hope to get for $10 bucks.:D

Shutter
02-21-2014, 18:03
I would seriously consider leaving any extra items at home and then once you get your trail legs and have gotten rid of stuff you thought essential then have the item sent to you. Mountain Crossings sends tons of essential gear home every year that folks quickly found out were none essential. Unfortunately the ridge runner also gets to collect some also (not by choice).

This is great advice. The 30 miles to Neel's Gap is a circus side show of random crap from people that didn't do research. Allow yourself 1 personal luxury item of about 8oz or so and you're good. If you want something else, wait until you're at least in NC. In 2011 some guy brought Cello. I mean c'mon.

My personal item was a Kindle. I love to read and laying down at the end of the day and knocking back a chapter or two was one of the greatest pleasures of the trail.

I also hiked out Whiskey whenever I could find a 500ml or 750ml. Shot of whiskey or 4 at the end of the day was/is a great pleasure.

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2014, 04:13
Yes, Super Scott the Tuba Man really did thru-hike with his Tuba. He's also taken it on a 4000 mile cross country bike ride, run the Boston Marathon with it, and probably most other places. http://www.bronxmall.com/norwoodnews/past/121505/features/F51215page1.html

Tramp
02-22-2014, 06:12
Pocket am/fm/wx radio. Ipod nano. A little extra toilet paper. Radio for news and weather and maybe late night talk shows. Ipod nano for hard rock. Toilet paper for...well you know.

Tuckahoe
02-22-2014, 07:47
This is great advice. The 30 miles to Neel's Gap is a circus side show of random crap from people that didn't do research. Allow yourself 1 personal luxury item of about 8oz or so and you're good. If you want something else, wait until you're at least in NC. In 2011 some guy brought Cello. I mean c'mon.

My personal item was a Kindle. I love to read and laying down at the end of the day and knocking back a chapter or two was one of the greatest pleasures of the trail.

I also hiked out Whiskey whenever I could find a 500ml or 750ml. Shot of whiskey or 4 at the end of the day was/is a great pleasure.

Yup a cello. And for him, I am sure its his most precious item. For some folks its more than worth it. I know that if I seriously concidered a thru, that I would most certainly pack my 2pound hammer and stop at and check out forges along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfQA6hdtdgY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu2eBvhKp84&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QsUqZVnXq4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MuddyWaters
02-22-2014, 08:42
Where is the photo of the Cello getting played on top of Mt Washington and Katahdin?

4shot
02-22-2014, 09:30
I admit, I carry TP. Recently learned on this very forum that this is a luxury (read; extra weight) item.;)

mudsocks
02-22-2014, 17:59
I admit, I carry TP. Recently learned on this very forum that this is a luxury (read; extra weight) item.;)

:rolleyes: But somehow the hammock was not... Aside from TP I like bringing coffee.

kayak karl
02-22-2014, 18:06
if somebody wrote a book compiled of interviews of hikers 1 mile before neel gap (or blood mountain) about this kind of stuff i would read it. like what they will send back, what they learned, who gave them bad advice, etc.

MuddyWaters
02-22-2014, 18:13
TP isnt really a luxury, and the amount you need if sparingly between towns or resupplies is really small.
Bringing whole rolls is sort of foolish, you dont need that much.

But I recall Minnesota Smith was reported to carry like 5 rolls at a times, used 1 roll a day, so obviously everyones different.

bfayer
02-22-2014, 18:35
TP isnt really a luxury, and the amount you need if sparingly between towns or resupplies is really small.
Bringing whole rolls is sort of foolish, you dont need that much.

But I recall Minnesota Smith was reported to carry like 5 rolls at a times, used 1 roll a day, so obviously everyones different.

I suspect he was just being obstinate and did it just because folks on here told him it was stupid.

Me, if I did a thru, mine would be my kindle, and maybe a full roll of TP, just because some folks on here would call it stupid :)

kayak karl
02-22-2014, 19:05
I suspect he was just being obstinate and did it just because folks on here told him it was stupid.

Me, if I did a thru, mine would be my kindle, and maybe a full roll of TP, just because some folks on here would call it stupid :)
do take the TP AND the Kindle. You can't rip pages out of a Kindle :D

Drybones
02-22-2014, 19:07
The only thing of value I carried were the family jewels....and they weren't worth much.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2014, 19:08
I'll probably bring a penny whistle and sheet music, the squeeze box is too big and can't get wet.
everything i ever take in the woods is a want/need. no luxuries

bamboo bob
02-22-2014, 19:24
Yes, Super Scott the Tuba Man really did thru-hike with his Tuba. He's also taken it on a 4000 mile cross country bike ride, run the Boston Marathon with it, and probably most other places. http://www.bronxmall.com/norwoodnews/past/121505/features/F51215page1.html

I met him in VT. He was SOBO and my wife and I were doing Magic. He played us a concert of tuba music. Fun guy but crackers for sure.

bfayer
02-22-2014, 19:27
do take the TP AND the Kindle. You can't rip pages out of a Kindle :D

I know, I'm just a rebel.

Also, I would never knowingly destroy a book except in a real emergency. I even have a hard time deleting them from my kindle :)

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2014, 19:40

Also, I would never knowingly destroy a book except in a real emergency. I even have a hard time deleting them from my kindle :)Pondering the irony in deleting Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Brave New World, etc., from a kindle.

bfayer
02-22-2014, 19:42
Pondering the irony in deleting Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Brave New World, etc., from a kindle.

It is quite a philosophical conundrum isn't it.

kayak karl
02-22-2014, 19:44
Pondering the irony in deleting Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Brave New World, etc., from a kindle.or Lord of the Flies or Animal Farm..... "Oh, the humanity!"

SunnyWalker
02-22-2014, 20:10
I'd go barmy without my Olympus binoculars. 7.6 oz. Waterproof. Nice.

HikerMom58
02-22-2014, 20:54
I'll tell you what squeezebox, when you make it to Daleville, VA, I'll have my mom's accordion available for you to play, if you like. :)

takethisbread
02-22-2014, 20:58
I am taking my brothers cremated ashes with me. he past away last year. that's my most precious item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn Yankee
02-22-2014, 21:27
Nice idea about the ashes. I did the same thing with my dad's in the Berkshires in Western Mass. as that is where we spent most of our time together outside of work, hunting. I will be bringing a flask of McCallen scotch and a couple of Cuban cigars

Prime Time
02-22-2014, 21:45
Arturo Fuente cigars and 15-yr-old El Dorado rum.
When do you start?

Meriadoc
02-22-2014, 22:50
Thanks for sharing that link! Nice to read about good folks.

I bring my ukulele for the chance that I meet someone who actually knows how to play. ;P

d3ef
02-22-2014, 22:59
Books. Real paper books.

squeezebox
02-23-2014, 00:32
Thanks Hiker mom
I play a G/D button accordion
not a piano acordion
Thanks!

HikerMom58
02-23-2014, 09:44
Thanks Hiker mom
not a piano acordion
Thanks!

Okay.. Welp, I tried. :o I don't have any friends/family that play a button accordion but if I did... :D

Drybones
02-23-2014, 10:46

Also, I would never knowingly destroy a book except in a real emergency. I even have a hard time deleting them from my kindle :)

THe old Sears catalog was nice to have when I was growing up using an out house.

Drybones
02-23-2014, 10:48
Thanks for sharing that link! Nice to read about good folks.

I bring my ukulele for the chance that I meet someone who actually knows how to play. ;P

We had a good time at Joe's in Catawba, one hiker carried a banjo and there was already a guitar at the hostel which another hiker could play well...and I sang...consider yourself blessed that you were not there to hear it.

kayak karl
02-23-2014, 10:53
Thanks Hiker mom
not a piano acordion
Thanks!
'A Gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.'

Shutter
02-23-2014, 14:56
if somebody wrote a book compiled of interviews of hikers 1 mile before neel gap (or blood mountain) about this kind of stuff i would read it. like what they will send back, what they learned, who gave them bad advice, etc.

Winton Porter the guy who owns Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap wrote a book about the hikers passing through. Fittingly it's called "Just Passin' Thru". I haven't read it but I hear it's fairly comical.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Passin-Thru-Publisher-Original/dp/B004OXSVBO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

marjirob
02-23-2014, 16:14
My kindle and I am hoping to be able to stay awake long enough at the end of a day to do some reading!

Drybones
02-23-2014, 19:55
My kindle and I am hoping to be able to stay awake long enough at the end of a day to do some reading!

We each have our own take on life, but, this is what I want to get away from when I go to the woods.

flemdawg1
02-24-2014, 18:39

My french press, 6 oz. There is no better way to make coffee.