PDA

View Full Version : To walk alone

skinnbones
02-22-2014, 23:16
Does thru hiking the AT trail cure introversion?

4shot
02-22-2014, 23:24
the trail doesn't cure anything. if you want to change, you will. don't need to hike anywhere to do that. Sure the people around you will have similar interests on the trail which can making chatting with them easier but that is true if you likewise joined a book club, church, social club, etc.

globetruck
02-22-2014, 23:30
Introversion isn't something that needs cured.

skinnbones
02-22-2014, 23:44
I sometime worry what my fellow hikers will say during my future thru hike. Oh, he is anti social. He is hard to approach. He is strange. I read so much about the fellowship along the trail which raised my question.

AT_Walker
02-22-2014, 23:57
Why do you care? Ignore it and keep hiking.

4shot
02-23-2014, 00:10
I sometime worry what my fellow hikers will say during my future thru hike. Oh, he is anti social. He is hard to approach. He is strange. I read so much about the fellowship along the trail which raised my question.

the fellowship on the trail is wonderful (as you have read). However must aren't worrying about/thinking about what you are or are not doing. If you want to 'plug in", just camp near the shelters and socialize. If you don't want to deal with others, there are many, many campsites along the way where you can tent by yourself. Don't worry about what others are doing or thinking...just hike and enjoy it. There are plenty of folks who would love to have the opportunity to go attempt a thru hike.

4eyedbuzzard
02-23-2014, 00:13
I sometime worry what my fellow hikers will say during my future thru hike. Oh, he is anti social. He is hard to approach. He is strange. I read so much about the fellowship along the trail which raised my question.Assuming you exhibit the minimum in social interaction, like at least saying hello and such (like you've done here), most people will probably just think you're a quiet, introverted person. Nothing to worry about. I'd rather be around an introverted person that when they do say something it is interesting or meaningful or necessary, than someone who rambles on about the trivial.

Dogwood
02-23-2014, 04:09
Be careful how you label yourself or how others would like to label you! even IF they are so called professionals! Not everyone is an extrovert and that's fine. Not everyone is an introvert and that's fine. And not everyone fits neatly into one category or the other as psychologists would like. That's fine too. In other words, we can be, at different times, in different situations a bit of both - introverted and extroverted. Be aware being introverted sometimes is viewed negatively though by society. It does NOT have to be a bad thing to be introverted though.

rocketsocks
02-23-2014, 05:13
Be careful how you label yourself or how others would like to label you! even IF they are so called professionals! Not everyone is an extrovert and that's fine. Not everyone is an introvert and that's fine. And not everyone fits neatly into one category or the other as psychologists would like. That's fine too. In other words, we can be, at different times, in different situations a bit of both - introverted and extroverted. Be aware being introverted sometimes is viewed negatively though by society. It does NOT have to be a bad thing to be introverted though.
Well said Dogwood. I like to get silly in camp and have fun just like anybody, though I think you'd find me quit laid back really. Now, on the computer I am a complete and utter lunatic at times...ok, most times, and I'm ok with that. I'm ok, your ok...okay :)

rickb
02-23-2014, 05:20

I think you would enjoy reading this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?69271-Introverted-thru-hikers&highlight=Intp

Here wis what I contributed:

Some years ago there was a well know study that clasified hikers on the Meyers-Briggs personality test

If found that a very large percentage were introverts. INTP was the most common profile, I think. I expect you will be in good company.

I was reminded of that when I saw the Warren Doyle interview on the ALDHA Youtube Video. One of his comments about his satisfaction seeing introverted people come out of their shells within the hiking community resonated with me.

Bottom line, I think you will be in good company. In fact, I think you might have more to worry about if you start your hike as an extrovert!

Meriadoc
02-23-2014, 05:50

Odds are you are a lot less strange and socially awkward than you think. If anxiety comes into it then yes you will experience anxiety about social situations. But it will be easier on the trail. And because you will be working with it, I would expect you to see marked improvement over time.

I read your post as being from an introvert who is also shy (two different things) and a little bit anxious. I post from experience both from being an introvert who was formerly shy and as a long time hiking companion of someone who had social anxiety. My companion worked at it and the trail helped.

samfsmith
02-23-2014, 06:34
First of, you don't cure introversion. It's not a disease. Being an introvert is not wrong. Society has recently started holding up the extrovert as a role model, but that is silly. Read the book "Quiet: The power of Introverts..." by Susan Cain.

I am an introvert. Being an introvert is an asset when backpacking, because we are self-sufficient and self-contained. Sort of like the definition of backpacking, I think.

Forrest

aficion
02-23-2014, 06:42
Being an introvert is more than okay....it is normal for many people, both hikers and non hikers. You are in good company on and off the trail. Being painfully shy is another thing, which hiking may help one to overcome. Trail encounters tend to be brief, courteous, and pleasant. Few will think the less of you if you do not want to join a group. Those who do have some growing to do too.

garlic08
02-23-2014, 08:41
The most introverted person I know, a dear friend, hiked the AT and had a wonderful time and met a few of the best people on the planet along the way. He's still an introvert and still a dear friend and an even better, more loved person for the experience. So I agree with the comments above about not changing.

HikerMom58
02-23-2014, 08:46
First of, you don't cure introversion. It's not a disease. Being an introvert is not wrong. Society has recently started holding up the extrovert as a role model, but that is silly. Read the book "Quiet: The power of Introverts..." by Susan Cain.

I am an introvert. Being an introvert is an asset when backpacking, because we are self-sufficient and self-contained. Sort of like the definition of backpacking, I think.

Forrest

This is awesome! ^^

I'm an extrovert. I admire so many things about introverts.

I married an introvert & my daughter is an introvert. They "recharge" by being alone. Extroverts "recharge" by being with people. Their feelings run just as deep as mine do as far as their ability to care about people.

Introverts are NOT anti-social at all. They have a lot to share. As an extrovert, I like meeting introverts so I can discover who they are, they don't just put it out there for all to see, at first. I like that. :)

No worries skinnbones. :)

jdc5294
02-23-2014, 09:39
I shift between extrovert and introvert, just depends on my mood. When I hiked I did it (partly) to get away from people for a bit, i.e. to allow myself some introverted time to myself, so even though I was never depressed or anything apparently I came off as a bit shut off and distant, and from that people sometimes assumed depressed or angry. I went into it knowing that some people would be doing it for the same reasons so I never made that assumption. But will it cure it? Absolutely not unless you go into it with that intention. It also depends on when you leave. If you leave before mid-February you'll go through stretches where you won't see anyone for a while so you'll naturally retreat into yourself. If you leave after that you'll be seeing people all the time so you'll be forced into it unless you huddle in the corner of the shelter every night and bury your nose in a book. No one is forcing you to talk to anyone or not to.

WingedMonkey
02-23-2014, 10:00
I was lucky enough to climb to Springer alone and to summit Katahdin alone (in the snow). Something I'll not likely to be able to do again.

Met plenty of folks that I hiked with or grouped with temporarily. Rarely made plans with them for town stops, better when it just happens or my own plans would get screwed up.

You are on this journey for you, and no one else.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2014, 10:05

no. it may push you further into introversion. especially if you go NOBO. too many people. go SOBO if you can

Pedaling Fool
02-23-2014, 10:17
There are different forms of introversion, some are result of numerous types of phobias, but others are a result of just not wanting to talk to idiots. The trail is not the place to address phobias, that requires professional psychological attention and there are too many idiots out on the trail.

No, the trail does not cure introversion.

ChuckT
02-23-2014, 10:21
Short answer? H--- no. Unfortunately also seems to attract some obnoxious sorts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Drybones
02-23-2014, 10:32
I don't consider myself an introvert but I'm not exactly outgoing either. I doubt the trail will "cure" anything but I do find folks on the trail for the most part much easier to warm up to and develop a relationship quickly. My take away from the trail is memories of the folks I shared time with...met a lot of good people out there, all ages and sex...a few dogs also, and I do mean literally dogs.

McPick
02-23-2014, 14:00
I'd suggest you do a bit more research. For example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJWA2MARNxk
Interesting perspective.

And with the exception of nature, just think how quiet you camp will be!

Dogwood
02-23-2014, 14:23
Might want to read what Tyler Tervooren says about this. I liked what he said. Your results may vary.

http://riskology.co/alone/

mak1277
02-23-2014, 14:44
I like the link Dogwood.

As as far as I'm concerned, if you're shy or introverted you have two choices, either embrace it, or work hard to force yourself to interact with people. It is possible to move on the spectrum of introvert to extrovert. You might never get all the way to the other extreme, but if you work hard you can change by degrees.

Professionally i I have been challenged in the past by bosses to be more social, especially with clients. I've worked hard, and l am a lot better than I was a decade ago, but it's still a daily challenge for me.

Personally, aside from my wife, I generally prefer to be alone. I've enjoyed going to movies/dinner alone for many years, and I greatly prefer backpacking alone. I find I feel MUCH more lonely in a large group than I do when I'm actually alone.

lonehiker
02-23-2014, 14:56
Do I need to weigh in on this subject........?

Dogwood
02-23-2014, 15:00
If you liked that try this, same site. http://riskology.co/conversation/

Julio Garcia
02-23-2014, 15:41
Don't worry about it! After hiking and talking to yourself for 8 hours everyday, you'll want to talk to all the other hikers at the end of the day!

aficion
02-23-2014, 15:47
Do I need to weigh in on this subject........?

Thanks for my best chuckle of the day!:)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-23-2014, 16:04
Wow, some really good links.

skinnbones, since it appears we may be trail mates next year let me share this. I'm the person who looks for the campsite away from everyone. I could hike beside someone for hours without feeling the need to talk to them unless it was really required. Not because I dislike conversation but because I don't feel the need to fill the silence with sound. I can't tell you how many times I have had people comment in astonishment " you camping alone?" "Yes, I'm a female out in the woods camping alone". I won't worry what people think if you won't and I promise not to think you strange if you won't think me so :-) Hope to see you out there!

wnderer
02-23-2014, 17:21
When I'm alone, I prefer to be by myself.

aficion
02-23-2014, 17:38

We should avoid one another because when I am by myself, it is on purpose, and I prefer, at that time, being alone too.

mak1277
02-23-2014, 17:44

Now I want whiskey.

Spirit Walker
02-23-2014, 17:57
I test out on the extreme end of introversion. A lot of hiker friends might be surprised though, because when I am on the trail, doing what I love, the shyness that is a part of me, and the reclusive hermit part of me don't get much expression. I can and will talk your ear off about the trail. I am happy to meet all sorts of people and interact with them. I am in a situation I am not the complete misfit I am ordinarily. At the same time, I have a lot of quiet alone time to recharge my energy. To me, it's the best of both worlds. A community where I belong, and time alone to enjoy the beauty of nature.

I remember one hiker I met who always stayed quietly on the sidelines, watching the other hikers but not participating in the discussions. It looked like he was having a miserable hike. Yet he told me, "I've never been as happy in my life." That was me.

Carbo
02-23-2014, 17:57
Doing solo hikes just reinforces the confidence in being alone with my thoughts. I like talking to people, but I'm ok with talking to that voice in my head... except when it starts to nag

Hoofit
02-23-2014, 18:09

Only thing it cures .......are your feet!!

They'll be tough as 'ol boots by the time you get through Virginia!

magic_game03
02-23-2014, 18:44
Is there a name for people who absolutely have-to-have a few hours a day alone but are not introverts? I definitely am not an introvert but I absolutely have to have an hour or two alone every day or I get dysfunctional. Likewise, I mostly hike alone but after not seeing anyone for a day or two I'll go to town, even if I don't need anything, just to re-emerse myself with others. I really don't even need to talk with anyone (though I like to talk and listen) I just need some eye contact. Is there a scientific/psychological name for that?

Drybones
02-23-2014, 19:45
Don't worry about it! After hiking and talking to yourself for 8 hours everyday, you'll want to talk to all the other hikers at the end of the day!

But I never listen.

HikerMom58
02-23-2014, 20:12
Is there a name for people who absolutely have-to-have a few hours a day alone but are not introverts? I definitely am not an introvert but I absolutely have to have an hour or two alone every day or I get dysfunctional. Likewise, I mostly hike alone but after not seeing anyone for a day or two I'll go to town, even if I don't need anything, just to re-emerse myself with others. I really don't even need to talk with anyone (though I like to talk and listen) I just need some eye contact. Is there a scientific/psychological name for that?

You sound like you know that you are more extrovert than introvert but no one is pure. I like to have alone times away from people too even though I "recharge" by being with people. (I'm an extrovert)

‘There is no such thing as a pure extrovert or a pure introvert. Such a man would be in the lunatic asylum.’”

Also, I love this. We all have "pieces & parts" of most PD's (personality disorders) :D The only way that one can be diagnosed with a PD, is if one particular type of disorder is "well represented" in our personality. It's great! ;)

There's no such thing as "normal"- it's only a setting on a dryer. :p

WolfCBP
02-24-2014, 08:53
People commonly confuse introversion with shyness. Extroverts can be the quietest one in a room and introverts might be the chattiest. They are not the same thing.

Introverts need their "alone" time to recharge their batteries. Extraverts recharge in social environments. Nothing "wrong" with either method of recharging to be their best.

Perhaps the question might have been, "Does thru hiking the AT trail help make one more comfortable in social settings?".

fredmugs
02-24-2014, 09:03
I used to think I was an introvert. Turns out I just don't like most people.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-24-2014, 15:29

Are you anti-social, hard to approach and strange? You just described most of my family. Try a small smile when we meet and I'll ignore the rest.

kayak karl
02-24-2014, 15:47
Now I want whiskey. My whole family done give up on me and it makes me feel oh so bad. The only one who will hike with me, is my dear Old Grand-Dad

gollwoods
02-24-2014, 16:37
Introversion isn't something that needs cured.

true! introverts can't play people for positive feedback quickly. but an introvert is well regarded by those that know them which is more important than casual acquaintance (http://www.merriam-webster.com/browse/dictionary/acquaintance)s so you might make new friends but you'll likely still be the same person. IMO

Drybones
02-24-2014, 16:41
My whole family done give up on me and it makes me feel oh so bad. The only one who will hike with me, is my dear Old Grand-Dad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1sDTTRjncY

Sacchoromyces
02-24-2014, 23:25
My own tendency toward introversion(?) lends itself to backpacking and my cycling passion. Problem is it also tends to foster a sense of, "What's down the road/trail?" Subsequently I have found myself well off any intended planned route, which may have been given to a loved one for security -- think flight plans as I tend to do these things solo.

O.P.: In randonneuring there is a phrase that translates to, "Ride your own ride". I think it would also apply to the AT. Let others find you. I'm certain there are people out on that ribbon of trail that will become part of your trail family.

DavidNH
02-27-2014, 00:16

Hell no! I'd say the trail increased my introversion. All the time alone in nature (love it!). The time spent avoiding meeting up with hikers I didn't want to meet up with. The extroverts go to Trail days and the other trail festivals. Us introverts keep hiking and enjoy the peace of the woods.. now that the chain-smokin beer-guzzlin- can't-stay-quite-party-every-chance-they-get types are off the trail.. if only for a few days!! Besides.. there's no cure for introversion. You either are or are not!

Misery
02-27-2014, 01:15
I am definitely more introverted since my thru. I know this is going to sound cynical but when I returned I realized how many people talk just to hear themselves (I may have been one) and how being quiet and reserved is not a negative but more of a blessing. The time in the woods gave me an idea of what really mattered to me.

flemdawg1
02-27-2014, 14:52
I'm an introvert male, that lives with 3 extroverted females. The trail is where I go for quiet.

Capt Nat
02-28-2014, 09:28
At shelters, I often look at the crowd and wish that I was part of the group. Then, when I go over and folks start talking to me, I can't wait to get away from them. I guess this is what y'all are talking about...

HikerMom58
02-28-2014, 09:40
I'm an introvert male, that lives with 3 extroverted females. The trail is where I go for quiet.

Ha Ha!! I can see that! :D

Misery- I like to put a positive spin on my extroversion & just say I have the gift of gab. :o

Capt. Nat... Yeah, I believe you nailed it! You wouldn't walk away from me.. you'd RUN! ;)