02-28-2014, 21:40
uh no........ish.

Another Kevin
03-01-2014, 14:08
Names That Need To Go......
[...]
*Anything that tries to sound American Indianish
[...]

I'm glad that my attempt, some years ago, to attach 'Wears Funny Hats' to myself didn't stick. :)

Kraken Skullz
03-01-2014, 14:28
Poops in Prickly Bushes

4eyedbuzzard
03-01-2014, 14:30
Poops in Prickly Bushes:-?aka Redbutt :D

Teacher & Snacktime
03-01-2014, 17:46
Doooon't stop beliiiieeeeeving!

I'm filled with such GLEE now :)

RedBeerd
03-01-2014, 17:52
How many thousands have attempted thrus or section hikers? Isn't EVERY name overused? There may be Redbeard, but is there redbeerd?

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 18:19
How many thousands have attempted thrus or section hikers? Isn't EVERY name overused? There may be Redbeard, but is there redbeerd?
I love red beards.

Not so much red beer. O.o

Another Kevin
03-01-2014, 19:54
I love red beards.

Not so much red beer. O.o

I don't know -- Irish red ale is pretty decent. :)

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 20:23
I'm not a huge beer fan. I like wines and concoctions.

likeahike
03-01-2014, 21:54
I'm not a huge beer fan. I like wines and concoctions.
Redheads + concoctions = dangerous

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 22:11
Redheads + concoctions = dangerous
If you like me now... then you'd like me even more with a little liquor in me. :p

Warning: I become louder and even more obnoxious

likeahike
03-01-2014, 23:29
If you like me now... then you'd like me even more with a little liquor in me. :p Yep, that's been my experience.

Warning: I become louder and even more obnoxious
Yep, that too.

Then they throw up in your car. Eww!

Sierra2015
03-02-2014, 01:44
Btw, to the masses reading this! I'm not really a huge drinker. I tend to "babysit" them. Or so I've been told.

And I've never thrown up.

And I've never had a hangover. (Jealous? It's my superpower.)

likeahike
03-02-2014, 01:51
Oh crap, there are masses reading this? :eek:

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2014, 01:53
And I've never had a hangover. (Jealous? It's my superpower.)

Hehe, you're 25, it's not a superpower, it's your age.

Enjoy it while it lasts, hangovers hit me like a ton of bricks somewhere between the age of 28-30 and from what I can tell that's the norm. :eek:

Sierra2015
03-02-2014, 02:03
Hehe, you're 25, it's not a superpower, it's your age.

Enjoy it while it lasts, hangovers hit me like a ton of bricks somewhere between the age of 28-30 and from what I can tell that's the norm. :eek:
I thought I had some genetic abnormality.

I did some reading on it and there are certain genetic groups of people who show a resistance or susceptibility. Like the Irish are more resistant and lots of Asians are more susceptible.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2014, 02:35
I thought I had some genetic abnormality.

I did some reading on it and there are certain genetic groups of people who show a resistance or susceptibility. Like the Irish are more resistant and lots of Asians are more susceptible.

I believe the genetic differences you are referring to have to do with the physiological effects of alcohol and the quantity required to cause intoxication, this is quite different from what causes hangovers. If you think of inebriation as alcohol's effect on the brain, hangovers are alcohol's effect on the body and they are quite different.

The greater the quantity of alcohol you are able to safely consume, the worse the potential for a hangover will be. My Irish-Italian heritage has at times allowed me to safely drink four bottles of red wine in a single night (something that I haven't done in years and I don't recommend ever trying), but the resulting hangover is inevitable.

Besides the quantity of alcohol consumed, the biggest variables I have found that affect hangovers are age, amount of regular exercise and hydration.

Honestly if you don't get hangovers it probably has less to do with superhuman genetics and has more to do with the fact that you're making responsible decisions, and for that I commend you.

Sierra2015
03-02-2014, 03:34
I believe the genetic differences you are referring to have to do with the physiological effects of alcohol and the quantity required to cause intoxication, this is quite different from what causes hangovers. If you think of inebriation as alcohol's effect on the brain, hangovers are alcohol's effect on the body and they are quite different.

The greater the quantity of alcohol you are able to safely consume, the worse the potential for a hangover will be. My Irish-Italian heritage has at times allowed me to safely drink four bottles of red wine in a single night (something that I haven't done in years and I don't recommend ever trying), but the resulting hangover is inevitable.

Besides the quantity of alcohol consumed, the biggest variables I have found that affect hangovers are age, amount of regular exercise and hydration.

Honestly if you don't get hangovers it probably has less to do with superhuman genetics and has more to do with the fact that you're making responsible decisions, and for that I commend you.
This is interesting: http://theorganicsolution.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/the-girl-with-zero-hangovers/

The reason some us, including me, don’t get hangovers is because of polymorphisms in the ADH and ALDH genes. These can affect the rates of acetaldehyde generation and metabolism, and therefore change how much a person is prone to acetaldehyde toxicity.

I googled that age thing.... Seems like older livers aren't as efficient. ;)

Kraken Skullz
03-02-2014, 09:18
I second the note about hangovers. I'm in my prime for getting terrible hangovers apparently. :eek:

Meriadoc
03-02-2014, 11:09

Darn it. I didn't really take advantage of it, but I always assumed I was one of those with the genetic mutation. Now I'm reading that my lack of hangovers could have been because of my age. (But everyone else around me got hangovers - I'm confused by this point. Reality contradicts the internet! Oh no!) I guess I have to do some testing to see if I can get hangovers now :D. Only then will I know about my genetic mutations. To the wine store! (Unless someone wants to mail some Ithaca Nut Brown Ale to me.)

trailwobbles
03-04-2014, 18:30
Yeah, I just caught up. I have got to start reading all replies first, lol

Based on your reply above, I think I've figured out your wobbling issue. But hey, at least the kid didn't name you "Two Cups" like i would have :D

I didn't get this. I asume it has something to do with bewbies or a nasty youtube video. Just a guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Foresight
03-04-2014, 18:33
Bewbies......

O.o......

:D

trailwobbles
03-04-2014, 18:34
Or maybe alcohol? I don't know someone help me out here.

Foresight
03-04-2014, 18:38
Sierra, help me out here......:D

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 19:58
Sierra, help me out here......:D

Yeah Foresight, you need help alright! :p

But what I really want to know, trailwobbles, does Bewbies have anything to do with the farting parrot? :D

trailwobbles
03-05-2014, 00:26
I am so not in on this joke.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 03:41
Darn it. I didn't really take advantage of it, but I always assumed I was one of those with the genetic mutation. Now I'm reading that my lack of hangovers could have been because of my age. (But everyone else around me got hangovers - I'm confused by this point. Reality contradicts the internet! Oh no!) I guess I have to do some testing to see if I can get hangovers now :D. Only then will I know about my genetic mutations. To the wine store! (Unless someone wants to mail some Ithaca Nut Brown Ale to me.)
All my friends get hangovers too. I'm convinced I'm genetically superior to them. Someday the world will be covered in alcohol (think Waterworld) and my genetic issues will flourish. So too will yours. We should write up a proposal and marry off our first borns to each other.

Or something.

Ignore Foresight. He's just acting like a guy.

If he pulls your hair... it means he likes you.

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 03:47
I stopped getting hangovers when I started giving myself 2-3 liters of NaCl or Ringers Lactate IV before I went to bed after a night of hard drinking.

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 03:48
...Someday the world will be covered in alcohol (think Waterworld) and my genetic issues will flourish...

Can we just start calling you Kevin now or...?

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 04:11
I stopped getting hangovers when I started giving myself 2-3 liters of NaCl or Ringers Lactate IV before I went to bed after a night of hard drinking.
You're yanking my chain.

Can we just start calling you Kevin now or...?

Kinda too masculine for me, Doc. How about Kevinina?

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 04:15
You're yanking my chain.

Kinda too masculine for me, Doc. How about Kevinina?

I'm dead serious about the IV's, the military stocked me with them and gotta use em' for something...

Kevinina has too many syllables for me, too bad you weren't on the trail this year, I smell a trail name (to bring this conversation full circle)

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 04:21
I'm dead serious about the IV's, the military stocked me with them and gotta use em' for something...
Ah, proper use of tax payer money. :p

Kevinina has too many syllables for me, too bad you weren't on the trail this year, I smell a trail name (to bring this conversation full circle)
You wouldn't really call me Kevin, would you?

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 04:27
Ah, proper use of tax payer money. :p

You wouldn't really call me Kevin, would you?

Listen Kev, I pay taxes too, and a box of IV fluid costs less than what I pay for taxes. The appropriation of medical supplies is only used to divert the burden of taxation on myself. Plus, would you want some hungover military member defending your freedom or a properly hydrated finely machined tool? 'Merica, n'uff said. ;)

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 04:45
Listen Kev, I pay taxes too, and a box of IV fluid costs less than what I pay for taxes. The appropriation of medical supplies is only used to divert the burden of taxation on myself. Plus, would you want some hungover military member defending your freedom or a properly hydrated finely machined tool? 'Merica, n'uff said. ;)
Properly hydrated machined tool? Who are you fooling! ;)

Kev! Uh oh... I hope that doesn't stick!

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 04:47
Properly hydrated machined tool? Who are you fooling! ;)

haha might as well change your screen name now to Kev2015.

You're right, I'm more like the Tin Man always looking for that damn oil can.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 04:51
haha might as well change your screen name now to Kev2015.

You're right, I'm more like the Tin Man always looking for that damn oil can.
If you call me "Kev" I might just start calling you "Tool." -_-

Haha. :p

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 04:54
If you call me "Kev" I might just start calling you "Tool." -_-

Haha. :p

lol funny you say that, I grew up watching "Home Improvement" with Tim Taylor.. my name is Tim... I was soon called Tim the Tool Man so you're not far off. Ah, growing up in the 90's.

Meriadoc
03-05-2014, 07:47
Don't feel lonely. I missed that one too.

All my friends get hangovers too. I'm convinced I'm genetically superior to them. Someday the world will be covered in alcohol (think Waterworld) and my genetic issues will flourish. So too will yours. We should write up a proposal and marry off our first borns to each other.

Or something.

Sure, first borns it is, but not with someone named Kev. Although I keep thinking Kevin Sorbo. That would be a pretty awesome.
Drake would be quite suitable.

Blast. I just checked wiki to see what shenanigans he might have done. Yep. He 'as a bad 'un. Fit in the time period.

lol funny you say that, I grew up watching "Home Improvement" with Tim Taylor.. my name is Tim... I was soon called Tim the Tool Man so you're not far off. Ah, growing up in the 90's.

Sounds like you two could start down the yellow brick road. :D

Thesis idea:
Oz was really a story about four friends on one of the first thru hikes, fictionalized and made understandable to lay people. Three of them took the trail names Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Cowardly Lion. Much debate persists to this day whether Dorothy used her real name.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 08:01

Thesis idea:
Oz was really a story about four friends on one of the first thru hikes, fictionalized and made understandable to lay people. Three of them took the trail names Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Cowardly Lion. Much debate persists to this day whether Dorothy used her real name.
I love you. You're brilliant.

Please write this!

Foresight
03-05-2014, 09:21
Oh God Lord.....

Trailwobbles made some post about getting her name because she wobbled when she walked. At the end of it she posted this:

O.o

Now, being a guy, I see:
Big ol' right bewbie----->O.o<------Little ol' left bewbie
Wobbles.....off balance.......big ol' bewbie.......little ol' bewbie......."2 cups"........

Work with me.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 09:28
You shouldn't have explained.... Only guys will think that's funny.

Foresight
03-05-2014, 09:34
Yeahbut....

Look, it's a proven fact that we, as guys, are perpetually stuck at age 16. I know there's some weirdos out there that act all mature and sensitive and.......but that's a guise or they're in denial.

Bewbies.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 09:48
I think that's super interesting how true that is. Older guys are more complimentary and not as needy, but other than that... same guys. Really says something about male human nature.

I don't think women stay the same....

Another Kevin
03-05-2014, 10:36

It stuck to me. Welcome to the club, I'm Another Kevin.

RED-DOG
03-05-2014, 10:39
I went on Trail Journals the other day and their's another Reddog on their i thought that was pretty cool but still two Reddog's is one to many, P.S if you meet a man on the trail this year and if he is using the name Reddog it's not ME , But in 2007 i meet two guys their Trail names were Dumb and Dumber i thought that was pretty cool.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 10:53
But I like my name!

Tuckahoe
03-05-2014, 11:22
But I like my name!

I like your name too Kevin.

Different Socks
03-05-2014, 12:08
15 pages of replies!! Amazing!
Since the beginning of my thru hiking of trails and day hiking, I have used my trail name on all the hikes i've gone on and have yet to meet another with my trail name. I've seen and heard variations, but only one "Different Socks" actually exists that I know of.
And yes, I still wear 2 different colored socks on every hike. Because I do, and did back then, my old girlfriend gave me the name before I even did my AT thru.

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 12:10
hahaha, this is amazing, I know you're loving me right meow Kev

evansprater
03-05-2014, 12:18
I'd like to think my trail name is pretty unique.

HikerMom58
03-05-2014, 12:35

I like this Kevin! :sun

HikerMom58
03-05-2014, 12:39
I'd like to think my trail name is pretty unique.

evansprater.. you're back! :>)

R U hiking this year?

Btw... I met a girl who knows you too... Brooke. I forgot how ur name even came up, but yeah! It's quite unique, just like you! :p

evansprater
03-05-2014, 12:44
I am. Leaving AVL march 30th, starting 4/1. Brooke! Great girl! Sucks she quit at like 1200 miles. I met her in Gatlinburg in fall '12 when I was walking in the snow. Are you the Hiker Mom that's been blogging on app trials? I just started blogging for Mr. Davis. Good man as well.

HikerMom58
03-05-2014, 13:16
No, I'm not that Hiker Mom. I don't know Mr. Davis either. It would be fun to meet them sometime.

Yep, that's the girl I met that knows you. Brooke! She told me she met you in the Smokies, while she was there with her family. That's funny. :) Yeah, I'm sorry she didn't make it. I took her & her friend, Mini Pearl, to Atkins for their second attempt. They are fun! :)
I'll never forget one ur threads on here..it was a very popular one. :D LOL!

Have a great time this year on the trail & the best of luck to ya! Nice to "see" you again!

Trillium
03-06-2014, 12:10
I liked having a unique trail name. Had been considering it in 2004/2005 but after doing some research and noting only one other Trillium on TJ who had hiked a section in 2005 then moved to the northwest coast, I decided in 2006 to go with Trillium. Never heard of another Trillium until the list of 2013 2000 milers came out and there was a Trillium on it. Wasn't me. Although I did start a thru-hike last year on April 5, I had to get off at Winding Stair Gap due to excruciating foot pain. Now I see the thread that Chair-Man started about another Trillium who is hiking this year and had an episode of near hypothermia. I wish her well. But it's rather disconcerting that we might be mistaken for each other since I will be back on the trail in mid April. Oh well, such is life.

evansprater
03-06-2014, 12:12
Thank you! Maybe we can connect when I am close to you in VA? I'm interested to hear how I came up in conversation...

HikerMom58
03-06-2014, 12:25
Thank you! Maybe we can connect when I am close to you in VA? I'm interested to hear how I came up in conversation...

Sure, no prob. evan.. :) It was random, I can assure you.. ha ha! It started with her looking at me and saying.. Hey Karen, are you HikerMom on WB? Yup.. I thought soo...

Have a great time out there... just give me a hollar when you get close.

cthomasy
03-27-2014, 12:13
Last spring when I was doing a section on the AT I met a thru-hiker who said that there was guy with trail name Bumspoon. He got it when he was sleeping in a shelter by himself and woke to a homeless person spooning him!

Gambit McCrae
03-27-2014, 16:21
Heard of many "Maps"? people found I had one in my hands far too often! haha

Kerosene
03-28-2014, 09:22
Last spring when I was doing a section on the AT I met a thru-hiker who said that there was guy with trail name Bumspoon. He got it when he was sleeping in a shelter by himself and woke to a homeless person spooning him!That is just really creepy. :eek:

TOW
03-28-2014, 09:42
Anything to do with Lord of the Rings
Turtle
(Pack) Mule
(Jack) Rabbit
Snail
Sloth
Bigfoot
Sasquatch
Sherpa
Maverick
Charlie
Iceman
Goose
Ulysses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)McGyver......

flemdawg1
03-28-2014, 15:34
Last spring when I was doing a section on the AT I met a thru-hiker who said that there was guy with trail name Bumspoon. He got it when he was sleeping in a shelter by himself and woke to a homeless person spooning him!

Better a spoon than a spork.

shakey_snake
03-28-2014, 23:43

Thesis idea:

Are you saying he's a Friend of Dorothy?

Whack-a-mole
03-31-2014, 22:10
I earned my name fair and square. Haven't heard of another one so far, and if there is one out there I hope it was earned as well!

myakka_
03-31-2014, 22:24

I am confident that I will be the only Myakka in the logs.

rafe
03-31-2014, 22:38
I had to go back to 2005 to find another 2000 miler with my trailname. I guess I'm safe.

JaketheFake
04-02-2014, 10:28
Goat

And while we're at it, every Grateful Dead lyric has already been written in the shelter registers.

That would mean someone used a lyric from Picasso Moon.... no way.

WingedMonkey
04-02-2014, 10:32
I am confident that I will be the only Myakka in the logs.

Myakka Mules thru-hiked in 2012.

:sun

myakka_
04-02-2014, 10:35
OMG! That I did not expect. Geez...................

Llama Legs
04-02-2014, 15:28
Unless you're an old woman that's a hundred years old, hiking solo, and 4'6"...you get to be Baggins.

sjones503
04-07-2014, 13:46
Question..... Im from South Carolina and want to start hiking the AT... would Argentina be a good trail name? (If you don't get it let me know!)

Matthikes
04-07-2014, 14:43
Only if you are in gov't politics. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foresight
04-07-2014, 17:30
:snicker: :D

BradMT
04-08-2014, 23:10
The most overused "trail name"... all of them.

Thought it was dumb in the 70's, nothing in the intervening 40 years has changed my mind.

Meriadoc
04-09-2014, 00:54
Question..... Im from South Carolina and want to start hiking the AT... would Argentina be a good trail name? (If you don't get it let me know!)

Depends. Are you crying? ;P

greenmtnboy
04-09-2014, 12:56
Names centered around beer and alcohol. 26657

Caddywhompus
04-09-2014, 14:38
Ok. Might be throwing myself to the wolves but I want a trail name based on what you guys have to suggest. Do your worst. :cool:

Swagadactyl.... there you go. have at it.

fireneck
04-10-2014, 00:16
I'm 9 pages in no mention of, Hot Sauce, Tarzan, Red Beard yet? I'm just going to assume those are covered in pages 10-17.

When fellow thru-hikers and weekenders in to capacity Ice Water Spring Shelter in the Smokies found out my high school mascot was a Pretzel, that was that. Was a bit bummed I got a food name, but I did want to trail to decide it, and it could have been a lot worse.

superman
04-15-2014, 11:19
It's just a nickname plain and simple. The same as you would probably get on a highschool sports team or in the military.

I like trail names because they're much easier to remember, I've met thousands of people named David or Kristen or John or Tom, etc over the years, I've only met one Bullet, one Country Gold and one PB&A.

No! there's more to it than that.

Sarcasm the elf
04-15-2014, 12:06

Were you going explain what more there is to it, or is is a secret?

superman
04-15-2014, 12:25
Were you going explain what more there is to it, or is is a secret?

no...just sayin.

full conditions
04-15-2014, 12:31
The most overused "trail name"... all of them.

Thought it was dumb in the 70's, nothing in the intervening 40 years has changed my mind.

+1 They're right in there with piercings and tattoos - I know they're all the rage but I just cant figure out why.

Sarcasm the elf
04-15-2014, 12:40
no...just sayin.

Just as long as we've got that sorted out.

Foresight
04-15-2014, 12:41
"All the rage" insinuates they are recent phenomenon or "fad" that will fade away. Not the case. Trail names have been around longer than the majority of this years thru hopefuls have been alive. They're not going anywhere.

full conditions
04-15-2014, 12:59
"All the rage" insinuates they are recent phenomenon or "fad" that will fade away. Not the case. Trail names have been around longer than the majority of this years thru hopefuls have been alive. They're not going anywhere.
Never said or meant to imply they are a fad - tattoos and piercings have been around since medieval times - just sayin' that an overwhelming number of people are choosing to participate in something that has become nearly expected of every thru hiker and a part of so-called trail culture that seems simultaneously goofy and uninteresting. If have to listen to one more idiot introduce themselves as "hi I'm Jester" or some other equally inane nom de trail, I'm going to have hard time not rolling my eyes. Hey, but If you're into it knock yourself out - free world.

myakka_
04-15-2014, 13:48
I was going by mine long before I checked into the AT. It started as an agency designator/ call-sign, and became my nickname with other groups. So I didn't go with it for fad's sake, but more for hopes that some of my peeps would see it and make the connection. I would be more likely to have someone recognize Myakka than my real name at this point, so it is easier to stick with it.

Foresight
04-15-2014, 17:31
I like the name myakka as it reminds me of Lake Titicaca.

Meriadoc
04-15-2014, 17:49

Trail names are funny beings. Some trail names are inane. Others capture the essence of an individual.

I was never attached to my given name, Eric just doesn't mean much to me.

Before I started my hike I picked Meriadoc - both because I was called a hobbit by hiking buddies (there's your overused part) and because I wanted to have a name to use in my dispatches.

Over time, the trail rejected Meriadoc - no one could understand it. It picked Merry to replace it. Over that same time I changed from a controlling risk averse scaredy cat to a laid back gypsy soul (still a scaredy cat ;P). Merry became my name and became me.

Merry means much more to me than Eric ever did. My name is Merry. I picked it, the trail morphed me, and then my name morphed to match.

Names have meaning. Names have power.

superman
04-15-2014, 18:03
Funny how that sort of thing sorts itself out on the trail.

Different Socks
04-15-2014, 21:08
If you want an original trail name, give yourself a weird sounding name, figure out how to spell it and then give the interpretation when asked what it translates to.

superman
04-16-2014, 08:22
One of the worst trail names is "Superman" and yet every year there are a few of them.

double d
04-16-2014, 08:46
How about dumbass, anyone ever have that trail name? Mine are so original, double d (because of my real name) or house (because of the size of my pack at that time). Trail names are ok, of course most people don't have nicknames anymore outside of long distance trails.

HikerMom58
04-16-2014, 08:58
One of the worst trail names is "Superman" and yet every year there are a few of them.

Why is superman the WORST?

I love trail names and usernames! :cool:

double d... there's an A-hole hiking now, I think.

rafe
04-16-2014, 12:51
Merry means much more to me than Eric ever did. My name is Merry. I picked it, the trail morphed me, and then my name morphed to match.

Then you'll enjoy this grafitti found at Kirkridge shelter in 2006. I snapped the pic because I'm married to a Merry (in this case, short for Meredith, but the nickname was chosen in part based on the Tolkien character.)

Meriadoc
04-16-2014, 21:31
Then you'll enjoy this grafitti found at Kirkridge shelter in 2006. I snapped the pic because I'm married to a Merry (in this case, short for Meredith, but the nickname was chosen in part based on the Tolkien character.)

(A) It wasn't me :P
(B) I like the sentiment
(C) Oh no! What happens if I marry a Merry? My sister is already a Merryl!

Foresight
04-16-2014, 21:46
I know a Shirley Shirley. And, of course, his parents gave them property so she lives on, wait for it........Shirley Lane :D

rafe
04-16-2014, 23:10
I know a Shirley Shirley. And, of course, his parents gave them property so she lives on, wait for it........Shirley Lane :D

In Shirley, MA? Shirley you jest!

Different Socks
04-17-2014, 00:48
In Shirley, MA? Shirley you jest!

"No I don't jest, and stop calling me Shirley". --Airplane

superman
04-17-2014, 08:44
Why is superman the WORST?

I love trail names and usernames! :cool:

double d... there's an A-hole hiking now, I think.

It's been a while since I've been able to leap a building in single bound.

MDSHiker
04-17-2014, 10:38
My trail name is "Stew" which is very common but my best friend hiked the AT with me and his trail name is "OneLung". He got his trail name due to an accident he had right before hiking Virginia. I usually call him "OneNut" which ticks him off but if you can't make your friend mad then where's the fun?

Foresight
04-17-2014, 16:20
Played football with a guy that had a testicle removed. We called him "Uno".

squeezebox
04-17-2014, 17:52
I can't imagine the size of the ego from someone who would take on superman as a nickname,
sounds like a scary person .

myakka_
04-17-2014, 18:03
Before we assume someone "chose" a cocky sounding name, remember sometimes the names find us. I used to do competitive martial arts, and towards the end I would joke about not being "bullet proof" anymore, (my way of crying about aches and pains of getting older, and the slower recovery that comes with it) My wife would say "well, your NOT superman." I would joke and say "Says who Lois?"

I could easily see that name appealing to me just to tease my wife when she hears me use it.

Someone said that names have power, I would say that sometimes names have significance, and what exactly that is depends on the person's intent and interpretation that chose that name (whether it is the bearer of the name or not.)

superman
04-18-2014, 14:01
I can't imagine the size of the ego from someone who would take on superman as a nickname,
sounds like a scary person .

LOL, more than you know.

Bacon Burger
04-18-2014, 20:24
The best trail names ever were two guys I followed on the long trail in the early 90s. No matter how hard I pushed I couldn't catch them. Their trail names were Carolina John and Big Hurry Murray

squeezebox
04-18-2014, 21:46
So superman ! are you proud to be sociopath ??

Sarcasm the elf
04-18-2014, 22:14
So superman ! are you proud to be sociopath ??

Sounds like he's a real f**cktard... :D

superman
04-19-2014, 10:57

Why, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in years.

superman
04-19-2014, 11:40

Oh wait! Is being a fuc*ta*rd a bad thing?

Sarcasm the elf
04-19-2014, 11:59
Oh wait! Is being a fuc*ta*rd a bad thing?

I meant it as a compliment.

superman
04-19-2014, 12:16
I meant it as a compliment.

O, dos that make me on of the cool tards?

myakka_
04-19-2014, 14:11
Sorry if I misread. I have been on so many sites where cheap shots were taken, I just fell right into it. ;)

superman
04-19-2014, 15:29
Sorry if I misread. I have been on so many sites where cheap shots were taken, I just fell right into it. ;)

Yeah, this isn't like those other crummy place that you hang out. 8)

Sarcasm the elf
04-19-2014, 21:37

Yeah, this isn't like those other crummy place that you hang out. 8)

Yep, all in good fun as far as aware.

Superman, glad to see you back and I hope that I got your trail name right. I first joined this site when I got back into hiking a few years ago and was looking for advice about backpacking with my dog. Your posts about training and hiking with Winter were extremely helpful, not sure if I ever got the chance to say thanks.

superman
04-19-2014, 21:47
Yep, all in good fun as far as aware.

Superman, glad to see you back and I hope that I got your trail name right. I first joined this site when I got back into hiking a few years ago and was looking for advice about backpacking with my dog. Your posts about training and hiking with Winter were extremely helpful, not sure if I ever got the chance to say thanks.

There's an old article that's still on this site about hiking with your dog consideration. It's fairly old now but a lot of that stuff doesn't change. I'm glad I was of help.

HikerMom58
04-19-2014, 22:22
There's an old article that's still on this site about hiking with your dog consideration. It's fairly old now but a lot of that stuff doesn't change. I'm glad I was of help.

Hey superman.. you live in Grafton NH, I see. Some of my family still lives in Canaan, NH. Love NH!! You must be SUPER!

superman
04-19-2014, 22:46
Hey superman.. you live in Grafton NH, I see. Some of my family still lives in Canaan, NH. Love NH!! You must be SUPER!

LOL, that's not what my wife says.

superman
04-20-2014, 21:19
Well that sounded bad. 8)

Meriadoc
04-20-2014, 21:24

HikerMom!! Then what are you doing way down there? Come baaack!!!! :) Fewer thrus up here but they're hungrier ;P

HikerMom58
04-20-2014, 21:47
Well that sounded bad. 8)

Ha! :p

HikerMom!! Then what are you doing way down there? Come baaack!!!! :) Fewer thrus up here but they're hungrier ;P

Merryyyy.. you need to come down here! I love NH in the Fall but you have to come down here in the Spring... it's amazzzing! The colors are impressive!! :sun The red bud is everywhere!! Ticks are bad already though, I just found one crawling on my face after a evening walk in the woods.. :(

I can't get to those northern thrus, Merry. Teacher & Snacktime has to take care of them but they are in the South now too! Yipee!! :banana Come on down Merry....:D

BradMT
04-20-2014, 21:51
just sayin' that an overwhelming number of people are choosing to participate in something that has become nearly expected of every thru hiker and a part of so-called trail culture that seems simultaneously goofy and uninteresting. If have to listen to one more idiot introduce themselves as "hi I'm Jester" or some other equally inane nom de trail, I'm going to have hard time not rolling my eyes.

You quoted me, now I get to quote you... totally agree, and well said.

Thankfully I don't run into any of this "trail name" BS anymore in the Rocky Mountain North...

HikerMom58
04-20-2014, 21:54
You quoted me, now I get to quote you... totally agree, and well said.

Thankfully I don't run into any of this "trail name" BS anymore in the Rocky Mountain North...

Really?? Hum... I like the trail name tradition.

superman
04-21-2014, 08:55
The post office has screwed up mail deliveries using my actual name but they have never screwed up delivery using "Superman." I think it's akin to being called Santa Claus. This town has about 1000 people but it appears that I am the only "Superman." I have gotten mail from hikers who only knew my trail name. 8)

Marta
04-21-2014, 09:34
The post office has screwed up mail deliveries using my actual name but they have never screwed up delivery using "Superman." I think it's akin to being called Santa Claus. This town has about 1000 people but it appears that I am the only "Superman." I have gotten mail from hikers who only knew my trail name. 8)

And when they ask to see your ID….?

superman
04-21-2014, 09:42
And when they ask to see your ID….?

Superman doesn't need no stinken ID?

Marta
04-21-2014, 09:48

Just fly one pass around the room.

coach lou
04-21-2014, 09:58

Just in case some of your memories have faded

HikerMom58
04-24-2014, 10:19
I love this group from the Class of 2014!!

NO parents and NO bedtime group: Bo, Hawkeye, Buchanan , and Science Tooth!!

That is GREAT!

qanuta
07-27-2016, 19:10
You probably had some loser holding you back.... But the name Big Hurray Murray has stuck with me too.

Traveler
07-31-2016, 10:29

Just in case some of your memories have faded

I sure do remember the Reeves Superman, but even as a child wondered why he would puff his chest out to deflect bullets, but ducked when the bad guy threw the empty gun at him....

Sir-Packs-Alot
07-31-2016, 10:45
I have noticed the name Moxie has been used about 5 times in as many of the last 5 years ...