PDA

View Full Version : 2014 hiker sightings

mountain squid
02-23-2014, 14:06
Believe it or not there were actually some hikers that started in Jan and have survived. It took them about a month to get to NE TN. Considering the weather they have done pretty well.

Last Thu during trail work near Watauga Lake Shelter:

Samwise . . . was the first hiker to try our rock steps over the stream . . . . and didn't even get wet . . .

Later that same day at Kincora and after an 'exciting' trip to Laurel Fork Falls:

Banana Jones

They encountered alot of snow over the Roans but have had nice weather since then. Nothing like post-holing . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Just to let everyone know: when I encounter someone on the trail, I ask their permission to post here. When you meet a hiker you might also ask them if they mind. There might be a few that don't want their whereabouts known.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2014, 21:07
Believe it or not there were actually some hikers that started in Jan and have survived. It took them about a month to get to NE TN. Considering the weather they have done pretty well.

Last Thu during trail work near Watauga Lake Shelter:

Samwise . . . was the first hiker to try our rock steps over the stream . . . . and didn't even get wet . . .

Later that same day at Kincora and after an 'exciting' trip to Laurel Fork Falls:

Banana Jones

They encountered alot of snow over the Roans but have had nice weather since then. Nothing like post-holing . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Just to let everyone know: when I encounter someone on the trail, I ask their permission to post here. When you meet a hiker you might also ask them if they mind. There might be a few that don't want their whereabouts known.
they are both in Damascus right now

Lone Wolf
02-23-2014, 21:08
they are both in Damascus right now

and they are the first 2 thru-hikers

Meriadoc
02-23-2014, 21:11
Whew! Damascus in February . . . impressive! Fete them for a while Lone Wolf! They deserve it and could probably use a vacation! They could get up to the White Mtns before the snow melts.

takethisbread
02-24-2014, 09:49
wow takes a special type of cat to get to damascus so early . they gonna be in the whites before Memorial Day. truly impressive . so much suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountain squid
03-13-2014, 19:13
On Tue, after some trail work S of Indian Grave Gap, went to Kincora and was surprised to see the following hikers:

Crush
Bear Bait
Gecko

Not too surprised though . . . . Feb starters should be getting to NE TN anytime now . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

norovirus awareness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)

mountain squid
03-16-2014, 17:21
Took a hike out to Moreland Gap Shelter yesterday. Saw the following hiker:

Chainsaw

We could've used a chainsaw to get through some blowdowns . . . . how ironic . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

norovirus awareness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)

Jeff
03-16-2014, 17:27
Hudson and Dakota Joe are close to Partnership shelter this weekend.

Adriana
03-17-2014, 05:56
Hudson and Dakota Joe are close to Partnership shelter this weekend.
They are in Marion, Va and are fortunate to be in dry beds. Forecast or today is rain and ice :(

Majortrauma
03-17-2014, 08:27
If any of them post a trail journal that would be some great reading and very educational.

bad biscuit
03-17-2014, 12:54
Hudson has someone posting for him;http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=445056

Dakota Joe
03-17-2014, 13:27
yes, i just saw a thru hiker! Wait, that was me in the mirror. Im in Marion, Va right now. I keep searching for more negative comments about me cause Hudson and I laughed at all the old ones and they got stale. Trucked through some bad winter weather to get this far and not stopping! i hear there is a guy named sparks in the area too! Woot! Woot! I love this trail!

Dakota Joe
03-17-2014, 13:30
my blog is at www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe and has thousands of pics of the trail this year

Deer Hunter
03-17-2014, 14:55
my blog is at www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe (http://www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe) and has thousands of pics of the trail this year

Good luck, Joe. maybe I will see you when you get up in my area.

Stalking Tortoise
03-23-2014, 14:50
Spent the night with Dakota Joe at the Chestnut Knob Shelter on 3/19. Last I heard, he was dreaming about someone stealing his donuts...

Hey Joe, my buddy Smoking Sox and I pulled off the 22 miles to Route 52 that night and slept in the Big Walker Motel. Sounds like you were only a few miles back. Drop a note when you hit Boiling Springs and I'll buy you a beer or two at the Doyle.

mountain squid
03-24-2014, 17:37
Out for a dayhike on Sat from Iron Mountain Gap to Cherry Gap Shelter in TN. Saw the following hikers:

Wall-E
Pillow
Milk Monster
Craig
Iron Man

It was windy but not too cold . . . . good hike. Next couple of nights are gonna be cold and probably snowy tomorrow . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

Pootz
03-25-2014, 10:29
Stayed at Woods Hole this past weekend and saw, Hudson, Matt, German Phil and Sunny. They headed out of Pearisburg Sunday Morning.

gpburdelljr
03-25-2014, 15:48
I was at Mountain Crossings on Friday 3/21. The register for thru-hikers (attempting anyway) was up to number 334.

Phinz
03-28-2014, 22:34
Gave Napoleon and Key Lime a ride to the other side of Gatlinburg yesterday.

HikerMom58
03-28-2014, 22:53
The good german and sunny are in the house! :D Heading back out tomorrow!

wdanner
03-31-2014, 10:29
Went hiking in Harpers Ferry yesterday and stopped in at the ATC HQ for the first time. They've already had two thru-hikers pass through already.

mountain squid
04-15-2014, 16:44
On 4/12, just south of Pond Mountain, near Hampton, TN:

Bismarck
Hopper
Zachsquatch

On 4/13, at Cross Mountain Rd, near Shady Valley, TN:

Violet
Flood
Top O'
Legs
Seminole
Trail Santa
Ghetto
Growler
Thin Mint

I took three of them on the inaugural run of hikers, in my new Subaru, down to Shady Valley. (I think it was Seminole, Trail Santa and Ghetto). There were lots of bikers down at the store.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Deer Hunter
04-15-2014, 16:55
I have talked to 7 or 8 in town here within the last week or so. I can't remember all the names.

BrianLe
04-17-2014, 11:14
I was hiking in the same general 'zone' as Napoleon, Key Lime, Zasquatch, Topo', Legs (and Nyla), Seminole, Ghetto, Growler and Thin Mint recently. My friend Lucky and I hiked for a month with Milky (who is thru-hiking, somewhere a bit north of Damascus now). Lucky and I hiked from the start to Kincora; fun to see an old friend get started on this trail.
Some wet and cold times to deal with; the coldest night I've ever had on any trail was March 25th just starting into the Smokies.

There are some impressive hikers out there. One incident that comes to mind involves a N.Z. fellow named Trip (sp?); at a trail magic gathering he realized he had left his camera at a shelter 11 pretty tough miles behind. So he hid his pack, hiked the 11 miles back to pick it up and then came back again and I think went on to do some more miles that day, all with nothing but a positive, happy attitude about the whole thing. The total elevation gain he must have done that day would have been way beyond me.

Great to get back up to trail shape on the AT, very mixed feelings about leaving it after a month. But I have other outdoor plans for the year! :-)

Seatbelt
04-17-2014, 12:43
[QUOTE=BrianLe;1871420]There are some impressive hikers out there. One incident that comes to mind involves a N.Z. fellow named Trip (sp?); at a trail magic gathering he realized he had left his camera at a shelter 11 pretty tough miles behind. So he hid his pack, hiked the 11 miles back to pick it up and then came back again and I think went on to do some more miles that day, all with nothing but a positive, happy attitude about the whole thing. The total elevation gain he must have done that day would have been way beyond me.

QUOTE]

That must have been some real "magical" trail magic!:D

BrianLe
04-18-2014, 12:47
"That must have been some real "magical" trail magic!"

April 5th, just past Hogback Ridge shelter, a really nice fellow named Paul who had hiked the trail himself a couple of times. The best trail magic is by former thru's, as they know what folks actually want. He literally filled each plate with a big mess of scrambled eggs and hashbrowns. You can see a picture of another hiker with his plate here:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=58902c24d6edc8e9db55aea3dc9bba cb&entry_id=43718

Very much appreciated, and that was Paul's first of 10 days in a row to do so at that spot.

There are some really wonderful, giving people on and along the trail!

But I do take your point. Trip is relatively superhuman IMO. His calves are huge. And, a balm to my pride, he's a bit younger than me too, but to be fair, I was never in the kind of condition this guy is in.

trailwobbles
04-20-2014, 10:31
Just finished our first overnight at ensign cowell with teacher, snacktime, and furlough. Ran into Dakota Joe at Pogo campground. Gave him our last snickers :-) he said he was #13 nobo hiker so far. Good luck joe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Bearded Woods
04-20-2014, 12:38
Hudson & Scotia (f/k/a Matt) are heading into Port Clinton today, to continue their "PA Pig-out Challenge" .. http://trailjournals.com/Hudson/ Posted by Big Lu.

apd07c
04-20-2014, 15:11
Seminole here. Thank you again, Mtn Squid, for the ride to town. It was also nice meeting you, Gadget. Made it to Marion; now off to the CDT!

BrianLe
04-20-2014, 22:01
Seminole, you'll kick butt on the CDT, no doubt --- best wishes.

mountain squid
04-23-2014, 19:19
You're Welcome, Seminole. Good Luck on the CDT!

Another trip to Cross Mountain Rd near Shady Valley, TN on 4/20:

Twizzler
Murphy
Pip
DFI

See you on the trail,
mt squid

HikerMom58
04-23-2014, 20:41
Happy & Mowgli are back on the trail in VA. Ran into 5 star today.

SawnieRobertson
04-24-2014, 19:30
Day before yesterday I came across section-hiker Fiber One from Sugarland, Texas, walking towards Atkins to go to its Subway. He was on Nicks Creek Road, which made sense to him but not me. Very nice, organized. He is hiking to HF, so many of you may meet him too.

mountain squid
04-27-2014, 16:55
Out checking my section, south of Dennis Cove Rd, saw the following hikers on 4/24:

Firewalker
Hi C
Salty Hat
No Name
Problem Bear (4/1)
Surge

There were several others whose names I didn't get.

On 4/26, during trail maintenance, south of Cloudland on Roan Mountain, TN:

Kozi
Bison
and several others that Kincora brought for trail work

Neckbone (3/31)
Mud (3/31)
Cruces Mark
Nora V - stopped and helped
Da Pope - stopped and helped

Some of the hikers that I saw down in GA are starting to come through NE TN.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

niners
04-27-2014, 22:10
Did a couple days in SNP. Ended today (4/27) at Big Meadows. Ran into: Forget-Me-Not, Tilikum, Zebra, Beast, Gizmo, Raven Cloud, Frog Monkey, Skinny D, Bulls-eye, Oogie Boogie, Tenacity, and a few more I can not remember (sorry!)

All were doing well.

Heard Pa Bert had to get of trail due to illness.

johnnybgood
05-03-2014, 22:28
I met thru hiker Milky , May 3rd in the southern district of SNP.
Start date was a March 12th.
He is retired from England.

Also met Sequoia in the southern district
Start date was March 2nd
The early birds are increasing throughout the park having seen half dozen more hanging out at the Wayside.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-03-2014, 23:20
We saw dozens at Clingman's Dome today!

HikerMom58
05-04-2014, 08:35
Good to "see" you, Teach. :) Hikers are pouring into Daleville VA everyday. It's fun to see them from a distance! ;)

Pottsalot
05-05-2014, 19:34
Ran into Outlet, hawk, Raven a few weeks ago at Mt Rogers while doing a weekend loop. Ran into Casper yesterday in Hot Springs while doing some trail maintenance.

Namtrag
05-06-2014, 05:25
Camped and sat around the fire with a guy named Elusive on Saturday night. He looked anywhere from 50-65, it's hard to tell when someone has a gray beard. All he ate for supper was a bag of trail mix. I believe he started in early March. We also got passed by Catch Me If You Can, a young Korean guy. Elusive told us that the young guy was trying to do the whole trail in 100 days.

cconat2000
05-07-2014, 10:36
Can anyone offer advice on how to find a hiker on the AT? I'm hoping to find my friend Okie Smokie (thru hiker class of 2002, currently section hiking from Springer to Trail Days) in order to hike with him into Damascus.

There are logs at the hostels and shelters, correct? So I guess I can drop in and check those. Any ideas other than that and just asking around?

Looking forward to hitting the trail 5/12 to 5/16. I plan to be out creating some trail magic, including giving rides out of Damascus back to the trail.

mountain squid
05-07-2014, 17:30
We also got passed by Catch Me If You Can, a young Korean guy. Elusive told us that the young guy was trying to do the whole trail in 100 days.I saw Catch Me If You Can when he started on 3/30. You didn't specify where you saw him, but I would suspect somewhere NOVA or beyond?

Can anyone offer advice on how to find a hiker on the AT? I'm hoping to find my friend Okie Smokie (thru hiker class of 2002, currently section hiking from Springer to Trail Days) in order to hike with him into Damascus.Okie Smokie could be anywhere South of Damascus. . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

Namtrag
05-07-2014, 18:35
We were between Thunder Ridge Shelter and Matt's Creek Shelter, just south of the James River, so he must have slowed down some since you saw him!

mountain squid
05-09-2014, 19:27
On 5/3/14, during some trail work in the Roan Highlands:

Achilles (3/31) - helped with trail work
The Conductor (3/29) - helped with trail work
Blood Cookie (3/29) - helped with trail work
J PEG (3/31) - helped with trail work

Duff (4/3)
Potatoes (4/3)
Shellback
Trigger
Tinker (4/5)
Safety First (4/5)
Wander Bus (4/5)
Vision Quest and dog (4/6)

The Mountain Mutts:
Butterfly
Southpaw
Mountain Ninja
Red Handed Ninja

It was a bit chilly this day, especially with the wind, in the highlands. We did get alot of work done though.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

irishlover
05-14-2014, 13:19
Mountain Squid, YOUR A MOUNTAIN BUM!!!

You think the trail is yours. Getting freebies from angels, telling little kids the rocks in a parking lot are yours. Bah Humbug to you!!!

adamkrz
05-22-2014, 19:14
Ran into Dakota Joe and German Phil at the South Wilcox shelter last night, Dakota in good spirits but not sure about that German dude.

mattjv89
05-28-2014, 22:47
Met the first thru hiker I've seen at the Minerva Hinchey shelter up here in VT today, said he started 2/23. Didn't catch the name but he was a 57 year old Alaska native, had great stories of climbing Denali and hunting wolves. He also had a funny story of a woman who may still be out there named five star because she cooks five star meals on the trail. Her pack weighed 67 pounds and she was last seen trucking along somewhere.

Dahoyt
05-29-2014, 13:33
That's awesome we already have thrus coming thru VT right now. I know Dakota Joe is in Mass. and not too far off from being in VT himself, looks like he might get that flip flop done after all.

illabelle
05-29-2014, 13:53
We didn't think we'd see thru-hikers in NJ this early, but we were wrong. We were out for a week, saw probably 25 NOBO thrus. Did not get very many names, but here's a few:
Gizmo, Ibex, Moxie, Cool Breeze.

GoodGerman
05-30-2014, 11:36
Ran into Dakota Joe and German Phil at the South Wilcox shelter last night, Dakota in good spirits but not sure about that German dude.

The German dude is alright and moving. Don't worry.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

trailangelmary
06-02-2014, 01:23
It appears to me that once again the numbers will rise of successful thru-hikers. Already in May the numbers per day range from 6 to a dozen a day with a high one day last week of 22 at the Doyle Hotel. And now on the first day of June I am told there are about a dozen staying at the Doyle Hotel with I know of 8 that resupplied and hiked on! To all of the class of 2014 don't forget to stop and smell the roses, as they say! "I think God would be pissed if you walked by a field of purple flowers and didn't notice!" And remember proper trail etiquette - Leave every spot on the trail cleaner than you found it, every town happier than you found it, and don't be shy when you encounter someone that needs to be taught about Leave No Trace.

Texaco
06-08-2014, 06:40
April 4 start, at the Delaware Water Gap today. On track for a nicely paced sub-110 finish by mid July.

Jeff
06-08-2014, 07:45
Hosted Indiana last night. He left Springer on 3/30 and hopes to summit Katahdin 6/22. Then he heads west to SOBO the PCT. He has that long, lean look of a hiker who can fly down the trail.

somers515
06-08-2014, 07:56
Yesterday my 9 year old son and I were doing a day hike (he was completing his section hike of the 72 miles of the AT in NJ) and came across a real nice NOBO thru named Kamikaze. He carried a frisbee with him and we were going a similar pace so we passed each other a couple of times. He was going from the DWG toward Brink Shelter in NJ. We also passed 3 other NOBO thru hikers but I didn't catch their names. Good luck to all the thru hikers I hope to join your ranks some day!

BirdWhisperer
06-15-2014, 19:21
We were doing a section hike and ran into about 12 NOBO thru's at the Little Rock Pond shelter in Danby, VT last night. One was packing a guitar and after 3 days of rain they all looked a bit soggy.