PDA

View Full Version : It's 2014, would you attemp a thru hike with $4,000

Brian321
02-23-2014, 15:49
Ok so I have all of my starting gear. Plane ticket and shuttle I have the money for. I'll have about $4k when I get on the trail. Is that enough to complete it? Would you attemp to do it with only $4000?

Dogwood
02-23-2014, 15:54
From a money perspective, based on all that you stated, that should be enough to do a comfortable AT thru-hike for most.

Sierra2015
02-23-2014, 16:03
That's probably going to be how much I'll budget for my thru-hike. With 3000 set aside for emergency and rehabilitation into society. :p

Do you have money or a plan for life after the trail? Like parents?

4eyedbuzzard
02-23-2014, 16:38
4K ought to be good with other expenses already paid.

ChinMusic
02-23-2014, 16:40
4K is comfortable. Try to live below your means in the beginning so you have a cushion for surprises.

aficion
02-23-2014, 16:52
Yes that is a gracious plenty.

Slo-go'en
02-23-2014, 17:06
Maybe, I'd be careful how it's spent. It's easy to blow threw money without realising how quick it's going. Be sure to check your balance once in a while to see how much is left.

likeahike
02-23-2014, 17:20
Sierra makes a good point. Look beyond your hike.

takethisbread
02-23-2014, 17:42
Animal did his hike on $1400 that included cost of his gear and flights to and from trail. he also stayed in a couple of hotels and some hostels and are at restaraunts as well. he was judicious, took his time(8 months) and had a blast. he will be back agAin from what I hear. so yes you can do it. easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoofit
02-23-2014, 17:50
Plenty ....all you need now is the determination to see it through.....

Sierra2015
02-23-2014, 17:57
... Would 3000 work?

Different Socks
02-23-2014, 18:46
Simple answer:Yes.

Razor
02-23-2014, 18:55
It all depends on how much you can stay in the woods ,smell yourself ,and your ability to budget ..Most cannot make it on 4000 . Many can ------

aficion
02-23-2014, 19:04
... Would 3000 work?

Only if you yogi some drinks and dinners.:)

magic_game03
02-23-2014, 19:09
I spent about $10K on a JMT hike for my cousin and I in '12 (first-class R/T Tickets cost a lot.) That being said, I did three thru's of the AT and I only dreamed of having a cash cow of $4k to hike with. I did have to dig through a lot of hiker boxes and buy on-sale items at the big grocery stores, but I always had money for beer. I estimated that every town stop cost me $100 for food, mail, hostel, and minor resupply (like bug juice and sunscreen) and I'd stop in town every 80-100 miles. Then add another $500 for gear replacement like shoes and water filter and you're still just under $3K.

*note: I never hiked in the bubble. The bubble experience, from what I hear, is treacherous on the budget.

DocMahns
02-23-2014, 19:13
I spent about $10K on a JMT hike for my cousin and I in '12 (first-class R/T Tickets cost a lot.) That being said, I did three thru's of the AT and I only dreamed of having a cash cow of $4k to hike with. I did have to dig through a lot of hiker boxes and buy on-sale items at the big grocery stores, but I always had money for beer. I estimated that every town stop cost me $100 for food, mail, hostel, and minor resupply (like bug juice and sunscreen) and I'd stop in town every 80-100 miles. Then add another $500 for gear replacement like shoes and water filter and you're still just under $3K.

*note: I never hiked in the bubble. The bubble experience, from what I hear, is treacherous on the budget.

I'll be doing a SOBO, I'm hoping to hit all the hiker boxes on my way down after all the NOBO's lighten their load.

Sierra2015
02-23-2014, 19:15
Only if you yogi some drinks and dinners.:)
Aww, you know you like me! ;)

likeahike
02-23-2014, 19:16
this is getting tedious, smiley notwithstanding.

magic_game03
02-23-2014, 19:36
I'll be doing a SOBO, I'm hoping to hit all the hiker boxes on my way down after all the NOBO's lighten their load.

*Another note: If you're going sobo or nobo you're gonna want to hit the Whites before the thru-hiker crowds so you can do 'work-for-stays' at the huts. Else, it's like $85 a night to stay in the huts and they only take TWO 'work-for-stays' a night. I know some hikers will stop early in their days to try to get the work-for-stays but I think there was a cut-off time that they wouldn't let anyone do the work-for-stay's before 4pm, so it's tricky. If you stop too early they'd make you move on.

*Q: They still do work-for-stays at the huts, don't they?

Lone Wolf
02-23-2014, 19:51
Ok so I have all of my starting gear. Plane ticket and shuttle I have the money for. I'll have about $4k when I get on the trail. Is that enough to complete it? Would you attemp to do it with only $4000?

yes. go for it

4eyedbuzzard
02-23-2014, 20:16
*Another note: If you're going sobo or nobo you're gonna want to hit the Whites before the thru-hiker crowds so you can do 'work-for-stays' at the huts. Else, it's like $85 a night to stay in the huts and they only take TWO 'work-for-stays' a night. I know some hikers will stop early in their days to try to get the work-for-stays but I think there was a cut-off time that they wouldn't let anyone do the work-for-stay's before 4pm, so it's tricky. If you stop too early they'd make you move on.

*Q: They still do work-for-stays at the huts, don't they?Yes. http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/appalachian-trail/thru-hiker-guide-white-mountains.cfm

Slo-go'en
02-23-2014, 21:08
I just added up what I spent just going about 500 miles from Springer to Marion, VA last spring. About $1400 or just under $3 a mile. Trying to do it under $2 a mile is not easy. $3 a mile is more realistic in this day and age.

Here's a break down:

Neels gap (1 night) $47.47
Hiawassee (1 night) $98.81
Franklin (2 nights) $187.79
NOC (just passing through) $36.07
Fontana (1 night, shelter) $92.70 (includes $22 for gaiters)
Hot Springs (3 nights - 2 motel, 1 hostel) $312 ($20 for new gear)
19E and Kincora (1 night each) $91
Erwin (1 night Uncle Johnnies) $167
Damascus (1 night) $118

Plus about $300 in cash I had on hand for odds and ends like tips and small stuff.

Could I have done it cheaper? Maybe, but not by much. The three days in Hot Springs really added up, but the weather was crap those 3 days.

Sly
02-23-2014, 22:13
Animal did his hike on $1400 that included cost of his gear and flights to and from trail. he also stayed in a couple of hotels and some hostels and are at restaraunts as well. he was judicious, took his time(8 months) and had a blast. he will be back agAin from what I hear. so yes you can do it. easy.

I'd like to see a breakdown on that. After travel expenses (flying at that!) and gear and a few hostel and meals, they probably only had $3-4 a day.

Brian321
02-23-2014, 22:51
My biggest concern is what do I do when I finish the trail and I'm completely out of money or close to it. Do alot of people hike the trial know they will be broke at the end or do most plan to have a few thousand to start their normal life with.

DocMahns
02-23-2014, 23:11
My biggest concern is what do I do when I finish the trail and I'm completely out of money or close to it. Do alot of people hike the trial know they will be broke at the end or do most plan to have a few thousand to start their normal life with.

Me and my girlfriend are starting with $4,000 each, so $8,000 between the two of us. We hope that by sharing everything it will cut down costs and we'll each be able to do it fairly cheap. The goal is $4K between the two of us so we have the other $4k when we finish to get re-established.

Sly
02-23-2014, 23:11

My first two thru-hike attempts I went flat broke halfway through.

On the AT I was in Boiling Springs and found a ride back to Mass the very next day, was working a day later. Got back on two months later, got hurt hiking in the Whites. Finished the following year (after hiking Springer to Damascus).

On the PCT I ran out of dough, again about halfway through, and ran into an AT friend who was traveling back east. Found a job shortly after and finished the following year.

In both instances, I planned on having enough money to finish at the start but two long stories prevented that. Rather than stress about it, I started anyway.

I was nearly broke again upon completion but found work. For the CDT I saved for a couple years to make sure I wouldn't run out of money.

takethisbread
02-24-2014, 00:00
I'd like to see a breakdown on that. After travel expenses (flying at that!) and gear and a few hostel and meals, they probably only had $3-4 a day.

Sly
he flew standby. he bought gear at Walmart and ebay. throwaway gear. he hiked with a food bucket. had a lot of food . he was real scientific about it all. he paid $1 for over 1,000 calories. he is a survival enthusiast I think. he will be out there this year again, so u can see him out there. I'm sure some folks on here will also know him or of him.

Sierra2015
02-24-2014, 00:01
I think it's a good policy to have a cushion.

Life should be lived as stress free as possible.

fredmugs
02-24-2014, 09:18
Shouldn't be a problem. If you can average 100 miles a week it will take you 22 weeks and that averages out to a little over $180 a week. Remember that the further you go the more expensive it gets - especially if you pay full cost for the huts in the Whites.

peakbagger
02-24-2014, 11:53
Dont get scared off by the huts in the whites, there are options to avoid them but be aware that some of the options cost $8 a night. If you are willing to drop off the ridgeline and hike about 1000 feet of elevation and 1 mile, there are plenty of spots to camp and some are closer than that.

You are fine unless you get some bad habits early on.

lonehiker
02-24-2014, 15:55

Establish a budget. 4,000/180 (est. time of hike) = $22.25 appx a day. So you start supplied and get to Neels Gap on day 4 with $89.00 in your bank (22.25 x 4). You buy food and stay at hostel (will est costs) 7.00 a day for food times lets say 4 days = $28.00 plus $20.00 for hostel. So you spent $48.00 and now have a balance of $89.00 - $48.00 = $41.00 You then hike 4 days X 22.25 = $89.00 + 41.00 (prior balance) = $130.00, and so on If, you get someplace without the necessary amount for town stay, then you have to pass through. Keep in mind you will need to "bank" some for the north as it is a bit more expensive.

Mags
02-24-2014, 21:38
Yes, Animal did a $1400 hike.

And I have a friend who did a sub-3 hr Boston Marathon.

Both are possible. Both are unlikely for the average person. Let's be realistic here, shall we?

A $4000 thru-hike is possible, and rather comfortable, if you spend less time in towns, and hike more than camp. Do a 4 month hike (very feasible) and a $4k budget is very likely.

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2014, 22:00
Avoid becoming part of a "traveling party" group. Share motel rooms with another hiker. Split a load of laundry two or three ways (you don't have near enough for a full load). Don't eat at expensive restaurants. Don't order drinks out - buy a six pack or bottle. Hitch, don't shuttle. Work for stay or avoid huts in the Whites. Lots of ways to save.

m_factor
03-03-2014, 18:51
In 1999, that $4000 would have been considered a nearly average thruhike. Hikers would use about $2/mile as a rule of thumb. These days, I expect that would be low but manageable. As you can see from others' posts, people can and still hike for much less. That said, most hikers wouldn't be all that happy with such a low budget.

You can read more about hiking inexpensively and the frustrations of keeping to such a budget on a page I just added to my web site:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/hikingcheap.html

takethisbread
03-03-2014, 20:14
Yes, Animal did a $1400 hike.

And I have a friend who did a sub-3 hr Boston Marathon.

Both are possible. Both are unlikely for the average person. Let's be realistic here, shall we?

A $4000 thru-hike is possible, and rather comfortable, if you spend less time in towns, and hike more than camp. Do a 4 month hike (very feasible) and a $4k budget is very likely.

mags I'll disagree with u here. lumping Animal's hike with an elite marathoner boston marathon time. no matter how you may try or train, a sub 3 marathon may never be in the cards. what Animal did , is very doable by virtually any level of hiker, with proper planning, and such disciplined adherence to his formulas. one must remember than Animal took 8 months to thru hike! he took his time. most people wouldn't bother , to attempt what he did bc it's pointless to many , but it meant a lot to him. incorporating Animals ideas into a 4 or 5 month hike might even be cheaper.
incorporating some of his ideas into a 6 month hike could help some people with tight budgets but not so extreme complete their hikes

fiddlehead
03-03-2014, 20:28
Not one mention of credit cards in 2 pages.
Mmmmmm.
Times must have changed.
I remember our PCT 96 hike when we had a great time and most people were just putting it on the card, to be paid for later.
Not that I recommend this, just surprised if no one does it anymore.
What's changed?

rafe
03-03-2014, 21:03
5 months = 22 weeks; $4000/22 = $184 a week. That really ought to be enough -- but doesn't include gear or airfares (etc.) If the trip stretches to 6 months you're down to $154 per week. Etc. Nothin' stopping you ...

Jeff
03-04-2014, 08:30
You are fine unless you get some bad habits early on.

Good advise.

And remember the north is more expensive than the south...plan accordingly.

Starchild
03-04-2014, 09:24
What I found is it took time to find the cheaper stuff available for thru hikers and get used to depending on that. It also involves the ability to trust and not be self sufficient but accepting of help offered. One of my first stays was a a Best Western in Hellen GA and a paid shuttle back to the trail - if you are doing this you won't make it with that budget.

Perhaps many find that sooner, but the sooner the better.

Gambit McCrae
03-04-2014, 12:53
"End all answer": With work for stay/ work for food opportunities, trail angels/ magic. I would say that you could get to Maine on 1500. Now is it going to be the most comfortable? no, but you could get there. The money cutoff point varies with morals. Somepeople I have seen on the trail do not mind asking for your leftovers and extra food/ free rides, cigs etc. I for one would not ask for anything but might consider taking offers from others.

Brian321
03-04-2014, 16:08
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm pretty sure I have convinced myself to do it. I don't want to be uncomfortable and have to worry all the time but I don't need to stay in a hotel every town either. But it would be nice every once in awhile. I may have found a way to have about $1000 more but need to hear your guys thoughts first. Has anyone ever drove themselves there and sold their car when they get there? If so did you just take it to a dealer or what? Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2014, 16:12
$4000.00 should be fine, tho I'd save a dis-proportionate amount of your budget for the Northern third of the Trail, as virtually everything costs more the farther North you go.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 04:41
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm pretty sure I have convinced myself to do it. I don't want to be uncomfortable and have to worry all the time but I don't need to stay in a hotel every town either. But it would be nice every once in awhile. I may have found a way to have about $1000 more but need to hear your guys thoughts first. Has anyone ever drove themselves there and sold their car when they get there? If so did you just take it to a dealer or what? Thanks.
Sell the car on your own terms.... I wouldn't sell to a dealer.

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 04:43
Sell the car on your own terms.... I wouldn't sell to a dealer.

To piggy back off of Kev here, any car is usually worth over $1K. Why don't you sell outright and use some of the profits towards a bus ticket (from what I gather is the cheapest mode of transportation), or even ask a relative that might want to vacation out that way if they wouldn't mind giving you a ride.

QiWiz
03-05-2014, 16:03
Yes, just be careful with how extravagantly you spend it and you should be fine.

Dogwood
03-05-2014, 16:39
Disregarding the traveling costs to/from the trail and gear purchases that might be needed en route my big ticket items, affecting my on trail budget, are food(if I buy along the way) and staying in town under a hotel/motel roof. I've cut down on both those big ticket on trail costs in my own way by mailing resupply boxes(please I don't want to rehash ad nauseam mailing resupply boxes verse buying along the way verse hybrid food approaches, I do this for my own reasons in my own way, others may do something else that works for them at a lower cost) and severely limit hotel/motel stays.

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 15:48
$4k seems to be more than enough.

jdc5294
03-12-2014, 10:24
"End all answer": With work for stay/ work for food opportunities, trail angels/ magic. I would say that you could get to Maine on 1500. Now is it going to be the most comfortable? no, but you could get there. The money cutoff point varies with morals. Somepeople I have seen on the trail do not mind asking for your leftovers and extra food/ free rides, cigs etc. I for one would not ask for anything but might consider taking offers from others.
+1, $1,500 is on the lower end but I don't think it's quite at the begging for food/scrounging through hiker boxes stage. Knew a guy who did it on $500, now HE was at that stage.

The Solemates
03-12-2014, 14:27
It all depends on what you consider needing to have expenditure wise.

We spent about $9000 on our thru hike, but only $3500 of that was to/from, food, gear, and other on-trail expenses. The other portion was costs associated with putting our lives on hold and re-assimilating upon our return.

jbwood5
03-12-2014, 15:35

*Q: They still do work-for-stays at the huts, don't they?

The cost for huts have really gone well beyond $85 a night. They are more like $130 to $150 for non members and about $110 for AMC members or thru hikers. That is including lodging tax that they have to charge. Single membership costs $50, so it's a no brainer to become a member if you plan to reserve a few huts.

There are 2 work for stay slots for thru hikers and occasionally 1 or more depending on the staff. Some are so strict that they will request that you leave if the hut is completely full (including the slots). I think in bad weather they will make exceptions, but be prepared to be turned away (I had that happen at Madison Springs).

Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch will be cheaper because it is accesible by vehicle, but often they are full. Even this early in the year, the AMC huts are filling up for late June thru August and later on the weekends and holidays (and other certain days). You can search AMC Hut availability, put in some dates like June 26 and see what is available for 2-4 weeks at a time at all huts.

I'm not local to the area, so you may get better info from the locals, but I talked to a fair number of people last year when i passed thru most of the Whites, so that is where I'm getting my info. You can avoid the huts if you plan carefully but getting a full dinner and breakfast, especially in rough weather can really make the experience fantastic.

ChinMusic
03-12-2014, 16:04
You can practice hiking the AT for $4500 here: http://atthruhike.com/index.html

Other
03-20-2014, 03:00
Go for it, sound advice to not travel with a party group, sound advice to reserve money for the north. Lay up before towns, go in early morning to re-supply and move out in the afternoon. A zero in the woods instead of a town, can give you the opportunity to pause, be part of the woods rather than just walking through them, and its free. Fifteen years later, I remember so much about my first thru, and so little of that involved spending money.

Blissful
03-20-2014, 14:22
4000 is good, not counting gear or gear replacement trailside.