PDA

View Full Version : Great Weekend for a Hike!

BuddyL
02-23-2014, 17:30
I was out today helping to shuttle several hikers along the trail. I met a lot of nice folks at the trailheads out enjoying this great weather! Trail reports are favorable with the exception of the wilderness areas atop Cheaha and Dugger Mountain. Thanks to all those that help to keep the trails cleared!
BuddyL

daddyslaw
02-24-2014, 07:18
Buddy, it sure was great to meet you and the guys from Huntsville. That's very generous of people like you to shuttle out of town people around like that.

I had forgotten how difficult that stretch from 94 to Burns Trailhead was, or maybe I'm just getting older, LOL. What a great weekend though!

There were some downed trees along the trail here and there but the worst stretch was between Oakey Mtn. Shelter and the watershed. But it wasn't bad enough to lose the trail or anything. Other than that no problems as usual. Thanks again to all the trail workers!

By the way, we noticed these tiny red "crablike" bugs all over Dugger Mountain and was wondering what they were. Does anybody know what these are?

clusterone
02-24-2014, 15:32
Thanks again Buddy! I still cannot believe you let us dirty hikers into you spotless car.

For any others who come upon this post-- Section 12 & 11 of the Pinhoti have taken some serious damage(down trees), but as DaddySlaw(good to meet you, too) stated the trail was easy to spot. In the long run the obstacles only added to the fun. For my first hike on the Pinhoti I was most impressed. Maybe it was just as I was coming out of my winter hibernation(as my hiking buddy suggested), but I honestly found the sections covered on the Pinhoti were more challenging than the GA section of the AT(not to start an uproar). Well, that is short the stairs if you start at Amicalola Fall, which I do not wish to climb every again! I can not wait to make it back to the Pinhoti and surrounding trails. The trail provided many great views, creek/spring crossing, and a few decent man made sights. The trail was remarkably clean, and well maintained. Thinking that the South Cheaha Loop is next up. A big thanks to all those I will never meet for providing such a wonderful trail experience.