PDA

View Full Version : FireFly wood burning backpacking stoves ON SALE !

QiWiz
02-23-2014, 18:19
:banana HOT TIP ! :banana

Until the current inventory is gone, you can get a nice deal on a 2013 FireFly stove.
You will need to go to Special Deals page to see the sale prices.

Can you dig it? :D

southern9
02-25-2014, 16:32
Where's the special deal page?

Sent from my iPhone on board a spaceship!

slovakiasteph
02-25-2014, 20:07
One of the tabs/links on the left side of the page says "Specials."

QiWiz
02-25-2014, 20:18
Where's the special deal page?

http://qiwiz.net/specials.html

SunnyWalker
02-26-2014, 10:10
If you go to Nimbelwill Nomads site you can find plans to make your own.

QiWiz
02-26-2014, 12:54

NWN's stove is a classic, to be sure. That said, unless made from titanium, NWN's stove will be much heavier.
And NWN's stove is hard to make out of titanium (even if you can get get your hands on some titanium) and is not nearly as cute. ; )

slovakiasteph
02-26-2014, 14:01

I've found that by the time I've made my own of something, it usually costs as much as the original by the time I"m done. :) The one exception would be my inkle loom out of a 2x4 and dowel rod.

So, I ordered a Firefly and am excited to get it soon! But have fun making your own if you can do that type of thing (I certainly have over the years).

SunnyWalker
03-02-2014, 22:56
Sorreeeree! I did order one from you QiWiz!!! I also ordered a cathole shovel! I decided in light of wishing to leave no trace in this one area I was falling down. I thought, after watching the videos on the shovel (titanum no less) that this will help. Can you dig it? YES, with QiWiz's cathole shovel you CAN DIG IT!!! Just stop before you reach China. Thanks QiWiz!As soon as I get it I am going to the local park and try it out. Fun, fun!!! How light will that be with not worrying to carry fuel! SOS! I got a alcohol stove as a backup and 1-2 oz. of alcohol to take. So it'll work great.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-02-2014, 23:46
Hey QiWiz, how often do you run specials?

QiWiz
03-03-2014, 22:09
Hey QiWiz, how often do you run specials?

The current special on FireFly stoves I'm gonna let run through March unless I run out of inventory. I run specials when the mood hits me. No regular schedule you can count on.

Get. 'em while they're HOT !

rstms
03-03-2014, 22:14
I received mine and it is way cool! I had tried a couple of other wood burners and this is way superior with my smaller pots. And cooking with wood is fun!

QiWiz
03-05-2014, 16:09
I received mine and it is way cool! I had tried a couple of other wood burners and this is way superior with my smaller pots. And cooking with wood is fun!

Thanks for the nice feedback. I just love to think that on any given day, backpackers are out on trails cooking with a FireFly stove, cutting it up with a Little Buck saw, or taking care of business with a Big Dig cathole trowel.

ULterEgo
03-10-2014, 12:26

+1
I'm looking forward to wood cooking this season. Backyard testing of my FireFly stove has exceeded my expectations for ease of use and easy fire starting. You just won't believe how light this stove is and how compactly it stores.

Starchild
03-10-2014, 13:04
Qi-Wiz, I was very impressed with your firefly that my hiking companion Splash got from you. It was very fast and efficient and gave off quite a bit of heat. She loves it and I benefited and enjoyed it also. It allowed us to have a campfire at times also when it was too difficult to get one going without the stove's help.

I am considering getting one at the reduced price, I do like it but unlike Splash I see no need for the flexport for my needs, would like to know if I am overlooking anything here. I would also like to get perhaps the Esbit insert. I was confused on your site of how to order those 2 as it seems like you offer a discount getting the stove and esbit parts together (and also I can use whatever discount I can get these days).

SunnyWalker
03-10-2014, 16:05
Cheer from fans of the Big Dig as they . . . dig it:

Big Dig!
Can You Dig It?
I Can Dig It!
You Can Dig It!
We All Dig It!
Down, Deep!
Sharp an' Clean!
Leave no Trace!
Big Dig!

lemon b
03-10-2014, 20:50
I ruled out wood burners because finding dry wood is often difficult.

QiWiz
03-10-2014, 22:02
Qi-Wiz, I was very impressed with your firefly that my hiking companion Splash got from you. It was very fast and efficient and gave off quite a bit of heat. She loves it and I benefited and enjoyed it also. It allowed us to have a campfire at times also when it was too difficult to get one going without the stove's help.

I am considering getting one at the reduced price, I do like it but unlike Splash I see no need for the flexport for my needs, would like to know if I am overlooking anything here. I would also like to get perhaps the Esbit insert. I was confused on your site of how to order those 2 as it seems like you offer a discount getting the stove and esbit parts together (and also I can use whatever discount I can get these days).

The way it works is that if you order the hanging Esbit burner at the same time as a FireFly stove, I will rebate excess shipping cost ($3) back to your PayPal. In general, if you order multiple items that I can ship together I will rebate the excess postage back to you. Most of my pages have information on this. Sorry for any confusion.

If all you do with the stove is heat water for freezer bag cooking or similar methods, you can get away without the FlexPort option. However, if you want to slow cook, simmer, dry bake, melt snow, or grill food (to name a few things), the FlexPort allows for easier temperature control and for easier fire feeding during longer burns. In the way I use my own FireFly, I usually have the FlexPort closed for a quick burn in the morning (hot cereal and coffee), and have it open when cooking dinner to make it easier to simmer my meal. A FlexPort gives you cooking options with only a tiny weight penalty.

gof
03-10-2014, 22:35
I looked at your site and am just a bit confused on the options for a "floor". I would like a floor so I don't burn the ground when using.

Can you please explain the options? Thanks.

QiWiz
03-11-2014, 12:59
I looked at your site and am just a bit confused on the options for a "floor". I would like a floor so I don't burn the ground when using.

Can you please explain the options? Thanks.

The standard stove "floor" is a 1/4" stainless steel mesh, held about 3/8 inch off the ground. This lets the maximum air into the base of the fire for a quick "chimney-effect" burn. If you want to slow the burn rate, you can open the FlexPort door and use the optional "notched titanium floor" in place of (or on top of) the mesh. This reduces bottom ventilation to your fire, and in combination with how you feed wood into the Port, gives you a great deal of control over how quickly and hotly your fire burns.

Whichever floor you use, you should have a ground shield (or place the stove on a rock or other non-burnable surface) under your stove to catch any stray small embers or sparks that fall down. A piece of aluminum foil will work for this, or you can get one of my folding WindShields that work as a ground shield in wood burning mode and as part of a full circle of wind protection in MultiFuel (alcohol or Esbit) mode. I have tried to illustrate this with the videos you can find on my site. Sorry for any confusion. Watch this video starting at 1:55 to see what a hinged WindShield looks like and how it works as both a groundshield and part of a MultiFuel system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=my1uYuzlkcI#t=115

gof
03-11-2014, 21:11
No need to be sorry...it is just the south western Ohio hillbilly roots that make me easily confounded...LOL

I think I get the gist of it and will place an order for one by the end of the week (payday, woot).

I will watch your videos again so I can be sure to place an order for what I need.

Hey, if I order the multi fuel, do I get the sale price? Just wondering.

QiWiz
03-12-2014, 09:57
No need to be sorry...it is just the south western Ohio hillbilly roots that make me easily confounded...LOL

I think I get the gist of it and will place an order for one by the end of the week (payday, woot).

I will watch your videos again so I can be sure to place an order for what I need.

Hey, if I order the multi fuel, do I get the sale price? Just wondering.

Payday = good

The currently available sale price is for the stove. You get this price if you order a stove from the Special Deals page, whether or not you get any accessories with it (like the MultiFuel option, ULtimate Esbit System, MiniGrill, Bake Kit, hanging Esbit Burner, titanium or aluminum pots, windscreens, etc.)

The MultiFuel option is not on sale. You will however save on shipping cost if you order one at the same time as the stove.

gof
03-16-2014, 02:18
Ordered mine today! Can't wait to get it and give it a good shakedown.

QiWiz
03-17-2014, 10:23
Ordered mine today! Can't wait to get it and give it a good shakedown.

Your stove is on its way to you as I write this.

I've decided to expand the FIRE SALE to include the larger FireFly XL stove, as long as inventory holds out.

This is the first time I've put the FireFly XL on sale. Time to take advantage of my March Madness! :D

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all the WB community!

slovakiasteph
03-23-2014, 13:01
I played around with mine when I went camping this weekend-- cooked two meals on it (tacos and oatmeal). This was the first time I'd ever built a fire, and even I was able to keep it going! :)

QiWiz
04-01-2014, 13:13
I played around with mine when I went camping this weekend-- cooked two meals on it (tacos and oatmeal). This was the first time I'd ever built a fire, and even I was able to keep it going! :)

Thanks for the nice comments. Glad you are enjoying your stove and friendly fire.

Inventory is dwindling, so any WB'ers who want the special price should act soon!
Don't say I did not warn you . . .

QiWiz
04-10-2014, 16:24
There are just 3 of the 2013 FireFly stoves left, all with FlexPorts, and I've made a further price reduction you can access on my Specials page.
Can you dig it?

QiWiz
04-21-2014, 02:50
There are just 3 of the 2013 FireFly stoves left, all with FlexPorts, and I've made a further price reduction you can access on my Specials page.
Can you dig it?

2014 models are now available on the regular FireFly page, BUT there is still one 2013 FireFly at a great price. Just one. See SPECIALS page.

dink
04-21-2014, 21:00
Just ordered the last 2013 Firefly!!
Can hardly wait to try it out in july on my AT section hike!!

SunnyWalker
04-21-2014, 22:16
Hey QiWiz, I meant to tell you earlier that the diss-assembled (famous) FireFly stove fits in my GSI Dualist pot! I just lay it down on the bottom of the pot. Wala!

QiWiz
04-22-2014, 02:39
Just ordered the last 2013 Firefly!!
Can hardly wait to try it out in july on my AT section hike!!

Yes, with a little regret and much emotion choked back, the last 2013 FireFly is headed to dink, as soon as I am back in town (on trail now).

BUT, wood burning fans need not despair, since the 2014 FireFly IS available now. Check it out at QiWiz.net.

Hey QiWiz, I meant to tell you earlier that the diss-assembled (famous) FireFly stove fits in my GSI Dualist pot! I just lay it down on the bottom of the pot. Wala!

Nice! It will fit into quite a few pots, either vertically or flat on the bottom, if you prefer that to using a carry pouch.

QiWiz
06-24-2014, 12:57
Through the month of July, visit my Specials Page (http://www.QiWiz.net/specials.html) at QiWiz.net to access this deal,
which gives you 10% off a FireFly wood burning stove when you order it as a combo
deal with one of the great Ti pots I carry.

Can you dig it?

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1403628636_107186.jpg

garyp
06-26-2014, 20:22
just a hint. for those in california, they are being banned right now due to the drought. Just beware.

QiWiz
08-14-2015, 14:55
Through the month of July, visit my Specials Page (http://www.QiWiz.net/specials.html) at QiWiz.net to access this deal,
which gives you 10% off a FireFly wood burning stove when you order it as a combo
deal with one of the great Ti pots I carry.

Can you dig it?

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1403628636_107186.jpg

This deal is BACK ON !! until further notice :)