PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new pack

theloneboot
02-23-2014, 18:59
I'm updating my pack this summer so I'm soliciting ideas. So here's the situation, anyone have suggestions or recommendations?

I want something ~50L weighing less than 2.5lbs that will carry at least 35lbs. Hydration compatible is a huge bonus, and it needs some structure - the frameless packs don't work well for me.

So far I have tried:
Osprey Talon
Osprey Exos
Granite Gear Blaze
Granite Gear Leopard
GoLite Jam
Mountain Hardwear ThruHike
Six Moons (the upcoming lineup just does not appeal to me at all)
Mountain Laurel Designs (frameless)
Bergan's Helium (it can't be found in the state of Michigan)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Granite Gear Crown VC 60 and I'll swap out the plastic for an AirBeam which will shave off 2oz and should allow me up to 40lbs of weight. If they'll let me, I want to replace the hip belt with the one from the Blaze. I'm very thin and my bony hips could use the extra padding.

Moosejaw is going to hook me up with the Black Diamond Speed 55 and Mission 50 so I'll test those soon.

Other packs I'm trying to get my hands on:
ULA AirX
Gossamer Gear Gorilla
Gossamer Gear Mariposa
Any of the HyperLight Mountain Gear Packs

magic_game03
02-23-2014, 19:25
Maybe worth looking at the 'Boreas Buttermilk 55.' It does weigh in at 3lb-1oz but it's got a frame. They have them at REI for $185. I think I'm getting one the next time they have the 20% coupon and I can use my dividend, but I'm still researching a new pack for this year.

Drybones
02-23-2014, 19:42
I'm updating my pack this summer so I'm soliciting ideas. So here's the situation, anyone have suggestions or recommendations?

I want something ~50L weighing less than 2.5lbs that will carry at least 35lbs. Hydration compatible is a huge bonus, and it needs some structure - the frameless packs don't work well for me.

So far I have tried:
Osprey Talon
Osprey Exos
Granite Gear Blaze
Granite Gear Leopard
GoLite Jam
Mountain Hardwear ThruHike
Six Moons (the upcoming lineup just does not appeal to me at all)
Mountain Laurel Designs (frameless)
Bergan's Helium (it can't be found in the state of Michigan)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Granite Gear Crown VC 60 and I'll swap out the plastic for an AirBeam which will shave off 2oz and should allow me up to 40lbs of weight. If they'll let me, I want to replace the hip belt with the one from the Blaze. I'm very thin and my bony hips could use the extra padding.

Moosejaw is going to hook me up with the Black Diamond Speed 55 and Mission 50 so I'll test those soon.

Other packs I'm trying to get my hands on:
ULA AirX
Gossamer Gear Gorilla
Gossamer Gear Mariposa
Any of the HyperLight Mountain Gear Packs

Try the belt that comes with the Crown 60 first, you may like it, I'm pretty slim too and I like it and I have a Blaze belt but had no need to switch it out.

slbirdnerd
02-23-2014, 19:48
I'm about to pull the trigger on a MENS Gregory Z. You'd want the Z55, I'm getting the Z65. It's just over 3 pounds but VERY comfortable. If you want something lighter and it works out to be comfortable for you, maybe a ULA pack (Circuit). It's hard to get light, carries 40 pounds and decent frame and suspension all in one.

RodentWhisperer
02-24-2014, 23:35
If you're planning to carry 35-40 lbs, then I'd say you should avoid the frameless packs. GoLite's Quest series might work well for you.

michaelosborne
02-24-2014, 23:51
Check out the Zpacks arc blast. For the 50L it only comes in at 16.5 oz and has a hydration port just not a bladder sleeve like the ULA and other packs have. Also it can only handle loads up to 30 pounds but if you're updating your gear it might not be that hard to shave off those extras 5 pounds. It has an external frame made out of carbon fiber that arcs when you tension the back mesh panel allowing for some airflow on y

michaelosborne
02-24-2014, 23:51
**on your back.

theloneboot
02-27-2014, 19:35
Update, just in case anyone cares: I'm 95% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the Crown. Moosejaw has the Speed and Mission, plus a Mountainsmith Haze 50 that I'll be trying on tomorrow. But based on size, weight, comfort, and company (Gossamer Gear does not respond to inquiries it seems), the Crown is the way to go. It's a pretty impressive pack. Simple, but still impressive.

theloneboot
03-01-2014, 18:45
The Haze is a really strange pack. I don't even know how to describe it's fit and feel. But it's definitely not a very durable pack. Although the least expensive, it's not worth the questionable fit and its eventual demise. The Speed and Mission are essentially the same bags, just with different suspension and features. I wasn't a fan of the Speed, but thought the Mission was a fantastic pack. It's a bit heavy (~3.5lbs), but very nice and compact yet spacious. I recommended it to a friend who is beginning to explore backpacking and hiking. I definitely wouldn't mind owning one, but to get it down to my 2-2.5lb range I would have had to completely cannibalize the thing. So I passed on all 3 and will be picking up my Crown in the next week or two.

bamboo bob
03-01-2014, 18:50
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25 love my ark

DumbAss
03-01-2014, 20:23
Just bought a ULA Circuit a couple weeks ago because I needed some extra space for the extra winter down. Paid the extra hundred bucks to get it in cuben so it would be water proof because I dont like hiking in rain gear unless it is cold. weight about 35 oz in cuben with lid mod I ordered. stock material is about 39 oz Loaded it up to 36# to test it in very nasty icy conditions last week 12+ mile days and it was incredibly comfortable and stable. It carried the weight on the hips as well as any stiffer framed pack and I did not have any hot or sore spots. I recommend it highly it is more comfortable than my trampoline backed backpacks by TNF or Osprey. You will not get better service than calling ULA. This will be my go to pack from now on.

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 20:26
Just bought a ULA Circuit a couple weeks ago because I needed some extra space for the extra winter down. Paid the extra hundred bucks to get it in cuben so it would be water proof because I dont like hiking in rain gear unless it is cold. weight about 35 oz in cuben with lid mod I ordered. stock material is about 39 oz Loaded it up to 36# to test it in very nasty icy conditions last week 12+ mile days and it was incredibly comfortable and stable. It carried the weight on the hips as well as any stiffer framed pack and I did not have any hot or sore spots. I recommend it highly it is more comfortable than my trampoline backed backpacks by TNF or Osprey. You will not get better service than calling ULA. This will be my go to pack from now on.

Thanks for sharing that! Love hearing endorsements that describe the pack.

Doc Mike
03-02-2014, 23:25
I'm also endorsing the ula circuit. I just got one. Ive used it twice now and I like it better than my deuter or Gregory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken.davidson
03-03-2014, 01:42
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25 love my ark
+1 on the MLD It is the most comfortable back ever.

FamilyGuy
03-03-2014, 12:07
MLD, ULA, or HMG. The HMG packs for the weight, are the best load carrying packs you can buy, especially the Porter. It is vertically very stiff and has ideal load transfer to the hipbelt. For 2014, the hipbelts have all been lengthened by 1.5" and the packs are taped making them functionally rain proof. If you want something even better, then of course a Mchale.

FWIW, the Granite Gear suffers from weird torso sizing and short padded shoulder straps. It really isn't as good as the Vapor Trail was (IMHO).

LDog
03-03-2014, 12:43
(Gossamer Gear does not respond to inquiries it seems)

No they don't ...