PDA

View Full Version : Georgia / NC Line

RocksteadyMB
02-23-2014, 20:36
Hello All. I need some info. I group of us are finishing the Ga section ins a few weeks. Where is the nearest pick up point to the Ga / NC state line. I saw Hwy 64, but i am not sure? How far is the pick up point from Bly Gap? Can anyone help me out. Also, where can I get a good free online Map of that area?
Thanks All.

googlywoogly
02-23-2014, 21:04
I did the Ga section last year via day hikes. I continued walking past the state line to Deep Gap where I had a car waiting. To get to deep gap by car you take 64 to FS road 71. It is a good well maintained road. I was able to drive a Honda Civic down to Deep Gap. It is 6ish miles from Bly Gap to Deep Gap, I think, and when you cross the line you will get a welcome to NC steep tough climb up to the top of Courthouse Bald. I believe FS road 71 is closed from Jan to march.

Another option is to backtrack once you get to the line back to Blue Ridge Gap (3ish miles I believe, but don't remember exactly). This road is allegedly very poorly maintained, but I have heard folks can walk up to the pavement, no clue how far that is, to seek egress.

I don't know of a good free online map. We used Google Maps when we were planning our day hikes. The AT is well marked on Google.

Enjoy your walk. We really enjoyed completing Ga via day hikes.

generoll
02-23-2014, 21:27
I believe the road to Deep Gap, NC is currently gated and locked. There is a trail from Bly Gap down to a FS road, but local knowledge is helpful. The simplest option is to backtrack from Bly Gap to Blue Ridge Gap and hike down to the pavement. The road up to Blue Ridge Gap has a couple of bad spots which can take a toll on tires. Just arrange for your shuttle to pick you up at the pavement and hike out that way. If you want to wait for the road to Deep Gap to open, then keep calling the Nantahala Ranger District to find out when the foad will be open.

Train Wreck
02-23-2014, 23:20
I believe the road to Deep Gap, NC is currently gated and locked. There is a trail from Bly Gap down to a FS road, but local knowledge is helpful. The simplest option is to backtrack from Bly Gap to Blue Ridge Gap and hike down to the pavement. The road up to Blue Ridge Gap has a couple of bad spots which can take a toll on tires. Just arrange for your shuttle to pick you up at the pavement and hike out that way. If you want to wait for the road to Deep Gap to open, then keep calling the Nantahala Ranger District to find out when the foad will be open.

They always open the road by the end of March, often a little sooner if the weather has been sufficiently dry for long enough so the road is dry and hard enough so it won't be torn up by cars traveling on it.