PDA

View Full Version : Mileage question

Kolo
02-23-2014, 21:34
Just for the heck of it, here's a question for thru and section hikers: How many additional did you end up hiking that don't count toward miles on the AT? I'm thinking of mileage like the approach trail in Springer, the many .6 extra miles to a shelter, miles to towns, out and back on Katahdin and all those scenic overviews. My guess is most 2000 milers are more like 2500 milers. Section hikers, please feel free to chime in.

Slo-go'en
02-23-2014, 21:41
Yep, all those extra little side trips add up. How much? Not a clue. Extra couple 100 maybe.

Dogwood
02-23-2014, 22:00
For me, the AT, easily some 180 extra miles, NOT counting miles to towns(Approach Tr, various loops(Old Rag/White Oak Canyon, Gulf Hagas, that waterfall alternate in TN that use to be the "official AT, etc), out and backs to waterfalls/overlooks, etc, Knifes Edge etc).

I can give a more accurate trail mileage # for the CDT 3570 miles. That's all CDT trail mileage plus other trail mileage add ons not any resupply mileage.

takethisbread
02-24-2014, 09:51
5.17 miles per week :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
02-24-2014, 20:13
I've heard anywhere from 1 to 5%. Depends how much you want to tighten it up or explore.
Water/Shelters are the biggest if you are sticking to the trail.
I skip most shelters and find most water on the trail itself- some folks do just the opposite.
In and out of town is up to you, but Matt Kirk didn't put more than a few miles on when he set the record and didn't hitch at all.
As Dogwood points out; the blue blazes and exploring add up faster than anything else.

rafe
02-24-2014, 21:14
It's an interesting question and reminded me of all the time/effort/miles involved in getting water, especially late season, dry year, in the middle third of the AT. No "extra" miles but I certainly have repeated sections just for jollies. Just sayin, water is a big motivator.

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2014, 21:27
Section hikers probably often do more miles on local side trails than on the actual AT itself, as we tend to do a lot of loop hikes that use other trails, and use a lot of access trails leading up to the ridge where the AT is. A lot depends on how long the sections are and road crossings/trailheads. The longer the AT section, the lower the non-AT miles usually. A lot of the weekend hikes I did in the Whites saw more miles on local side trails than on the AT itself.

10-K
02-24-2014, 22:24
I hate that feeling you get when you suddenly realize you haven't seen a blaze in ... how long? Usually happens to me during a long downhill cruise resulting in a long uphill slog to get back on track.

HighLiner
02-24-2014, 22:32
I've sectioned the entire trail, less the HMW, and have not hiked any side trails. I've gone both North and South, depending on logistics and driving distances. I always begin/stop at a road crossing. Regarding extra distances I never tried to figure it out; for me it's only about the blazes!

Kolo
02-24-2014, 22:36
Section hikers probably often do more miles on local side trails than on the actual AT itself, as we tend to do a lot of loop hikes that use other trails, and use a lot of access trails leading up to the ridge where the AT is. A lot depends on how long the sections are and road crossings/trailheads. The longer the AT section, the lower the non-AT miles usually. A lot of the weekend hikes I did in the Whites saw more miles on local side trails than on the AT itself.
This has me written all over it. Out & backs, loop trails, riding a bike to the trail head and hiking back to the truck. It's all good.

Astro
02-24-2014, 22:43
I hate that feeling you get when you suddenly realize you haven't seen a blaze in ... how long? Usually happens to me during a long downhill cruise resulting in a long uphill slog to get back on track.

Yeah, but you hate to stop and turn around because you were making such great time. ;)