PDA

View Full Version : Using Solid Fuels in Trangia Kit Windscreen?

Sacchoromyces
02-23-2014, 23:35
So I have an older set-up from back in the early 1980s. I used it quite a bit before I had a need (I'm 51 now and no longer wish to hump all that extraneous weight) to lighten my load. Has anyone hereon tried using the two part wind screen/pot stand for solid fuels? I envisioned starting a fire beneath the bottom piece and allowing it to build to more fuel above.

I may have found an entertaining project for the coming week...

QiWiz
02-24-2014, 15:48
So I have an older set-up from back in the early 1980s. I used it quite a bit before I had a need (I'm 51 now and no longer wish to hump all that extraneous weight) to lighten my load. Has anyone hereon tried using the two part wind screen/pot stand for solid fuels? I envisioned starting a fire beneath the bottom piece and allowing it to build to more fuel above.

I may have found an entertaining project for the coming week...

Not sure I'm familiar but if made from aluminum, would be cautious as a hot fire will melt/warp/make holes in aluminum, even empty aluminum pots (if trying to dry bake and not real careful). Titanium or steel hold up to fire well. You need more titanium !!

Sacchoromyces
03-02-2014, 13:21
You need more titanium !!

Ti is for bicycle frames, and aircraft. Too pricey, in my opinion, for hiking cook kits. Do the few grams on 2 or 3 items justify the US$50 increase?

FWIW, I do not backpack with the full Trangia kit when going solo. Usually have a partner to justify the extra gear it has, and we split up the pieces. My solo kit is an Al pot, closed jet MeOH stove, & wind screen.

Sacchoromyces
03-02-2014, 13:22
Oh, and I have enough Ti in my face from a MYB crash 6 yrs ago.