PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to Share Something I Hacked Together

joeyjoejoejr
02-24-2014, 03:14
I'm a developer as my day job and I've been working on a way that I can keep in touch with my friends in family while I'm on the trail. I build a custom iPhone app and a custom website.

The iPhone app lets me occasionally check in. It will send gps data if I have it available, a photo, a message, and a bit of info on how I'm feeling. All of this works offline and will sinc back up once I have internet signal.

You can check out the website. Its shows updates, a map with everywhere I've checked in and a graph of altitudes.

http://anything-joes.com/

I'm super proud of it and wanted to brag. I start on Spring on March 18th. Can't wait to get out there!

VTATHiker
02-24-2014, 04:23
Have fun out there! If you're feeling generous and want to open-source your app, I'm sure at least a few of us would have fun trying it out. In my case the name of the app wouldn't even have to change...

rocketsocks
02-24-2014, 04:54
No GPS here, but thanks and have a great hike. Maybe one day I'll get on board. It's good to be proud...good for you dude/dudette!

magic_game03
02-24-2014, 07:36
I don't trust anything that comes out of Durham :) not even a dukie, 'specially a dukie. Go heels!

Anyway, I checked out the link but you don't have a download? Also, this can be with google latitude but I suspect your app doesn't use the batter like the google app.

Demeter
02-24-2014, 07:48
I am having problems opening the web page right now, but something like that is super appealing. Like using your phone in lieu of a "spot." Very cool!

joeyjoejoejr
02-24-2014, 10:44
Have fun out there! If you're feeling generous and want to open-source your app, I'm sure at least a few of us would have fun trying it out. In my case the name of the app wouldn't even have to change...

They are all on my github page:

https://github.com/joeyjoejoejr?tab=repositories

Sorry to get your hopes up guys. It's not going to be ready for anyone else to use this year. If there's demand I might fix it up into something presentable before next years start date.

joeyjoejoejr
02-24-2014, 10:45
I am having problems opening the web page right now, but something like that is super appealing. Like using your phone in lieu of a "spot." Very cool!

Hm. It may be a browser issue. I haven't tested it with anything other than chrome and firefox.

Bagge Pants
02-24-2014, 13:49
Pretty cool, Joe. It would be sweet if the GPS tracked the path between check ins. :)

cutter
02-26-2014, 00:36
Brag all you want. I'm a web developer and so I see a lot of ideas put into code. I have to say this one has a lot of potential. Great job! Best of luck on your hike.

Texaco
03-03-2014, 14:15
Looks great. Nice job envisioning something and bringing it into reality!

Have a great hike.

wornoutboots
03-03-2014, 17:45
Very Nice Joe!!

joeyjoejoejr
03-04-2014, 15:25
Thanks! I'm really itching to get out. Two weeks! I should have planned for earlier.