PDA

View Full Version : Will Google maps work on the AT

Fletchlives1234
02-24-2014, 06:45
It appears that I can use my google map app on my i-phone whilst having all rooming functions turned OFF.

The reason for this is that I am from the U of K and don't wanna get stung for mobile / cell charges when I hit the AT. I will therfore be turning off Mobile data, 3g and roaming on my Iphone (found under Settings > General > Mobile data).

I have looked at getting an AT&T sim as another option, but hoped that I could just use my current phone for GPS and then use public phones and / or email to communicate with the outside world.

Has anyone had any success in using google maps on the trail. I understand the trail is clearly marked, but being like an englishman in new york, this little saftey blanket is a nice to have, especially if there is a white out and I can see the trail.

I have also been looking into Gaia which I am about to install on my iphone.

Without meaning to flog this horse anymore any advice would be much appreciated.

Fletchlives

PS: Can anyone confirm whether there is any necessity to use your cell / mobile whilst on the trail v's just using pay phones and internet.

SCRUB HIKER
02-24-2014, 07:05
Guthook's app (http://sectionhiker.com/guthooks-appalachian-trail-hiking-guides-are-on-the-iphone/) has map capability without requiring a cellular signal, in addition to trail-specific information. I assume that's the sort of thing you're looking for but you hadn't heard of it yet.

Just using pay phones and public-computer-based internet is possible, although inconvenient. Pay phones barely existed on the trail in 2011 and I'm sure there are fewer now. Internet / WiFi access has presumably grown. I don't know how your billing structure works, but will you get charged if you access the WiFi in cafes, libraries, etc. and then use an app like Talktatone or Facetime to make phone calls (i.e. using the wireless but not using a cellular connection)?

magic_game03
02-24-2014, 07:23
The answer is yes. Your smartphone has GPS hardware built into it. When you are in a WiFi zone you will have to load in the Google maps before you get out of Town (or WiFi range). Loading in the maps means that you have to manually trace through the trail (in Topo mode) for the section you want. You can double check to make sure they are in there by turning off your WiFi and checking to see if they are in. Two problems: A.) it's a ton of work tracing through all the trail each time your in town. B.) there are many map scales and if you want access to them you have to load them.

* Note: I used this method on the JMT where there is virtually no cellular service. The GPS hardware still interfaces with the maps to let you know where you are on them.

* Note: I haven't used Guthooks app yet so I can't compare them but I see the app mentioned a lot. Probably worth checking out as well. I suppose the big question is the app just maps and trail/town info or does it interface with the GPS to let you know where you are on the maps.

Fletchlives1234
02-24-2014, 07:24
Thanks for the info. I had seen guthooks app, but thought it was only for the PCT. On searching today I can see there is an AT version. Sweet.
I think this must be similar to Gaia??
As you have said if I use wifi in cafes / resturants etc then I can use skype / facetime or send messages /emails without getting charged.
Do you think that's good enough? Is it useful to have a cell when actually on the trail for calling in trail / town rides etc? Or do you think I can live without this luxury.

SCRUB HIKER
02-24-2014, 07:42
As you have said if I use wifi in cafes / resturants etc then I can use skype / facetime or send messages /emails without getting charged.
Do you think that's good enough? Is it useful to have a cell when actually on the trail for calling in trail / town rides etc? Or do you think I can live without this luxury.

I think you can live without it. The AT has a lot of people on it. In the event that you *need* to make a phone call without having WiFi access, it's likely that there will be someone else around who can help you out.

fredmugs
02-24-2014, 09:29
I would not trust Google Maps solely. I know for a fact that the trail is incorrectly marked as you are hiking NOBO into Crawford Notch.

magic_game03
02-24-2014, 11:40
I would not trust Google Maps solely. I know for a fact that the trail is incorrectly marked as you are hiking NOBO into Crawford Notch.

I WOULD trust Google Maps solely and I did so on the JMT. Yes, every twist and turn is not in perfect detail but between the white blazes, trail signs, data book info and so on it's better than most maps. Likewise, it's also your camera, music player and radio, google sky maps for star gazing, email and texting device, town/shop locator, phone, driving navigator (if you hitch you know what's up), calendar (helps figure out post office timing), weather channel, helps book cheap hotels and transportation if you need it on the fly, internet and so-so-so much more. People can hate on smart phones but I used every one of those apps while hiking on the JMT and since, on the AT.

*note: I usually carry an extra battery or solar charger, depending on season and location I'm hiking in.

Fletchlives1234
02-24-2014, 12:58
So Google maps worked it's magic for you Magic_game03. Sweet. I have been in cahoots with my service provider at lunch time today. I told them that I had been testing the GPS on google maps with roaming turned firmly OFF. They were initially surprised that it works offline, but after thinking about thought that actually it should perform like this. I must admit I was not totally inspired by there lack of product knowledge.

Apparantely there used to be an App called Google latitude where you could check the location of friends etc. I tried to download this form the app store, but instead just got Latify. I haven't had enough time to play with it along with Guthooks app and Gaia, but is anyone 100% sure that these will allow me to track my position or more importantly my girlfriend.

Also Magic Game - what battry pack charger did you use. Using all these functions on your smart phone must have used a bit of juice. I have been looking at Newtrent and Mophie. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that I can source these directly from the UK. Any advice anyone??

Schultz
02-25-2014, 12:15
I've used OpenStreetMaps on Android for backcountry hiking in the NC mountains. You have to download the map packs (free) for each state you'll be in.

fredmugs
02-25-2014, 12:39
I WOULD trust Google Maps solely and I did so on the JMT. Yes, every twist and turn is not in perfect detail but between the white blazes, trail signs, data book info and so on it's better than most maps. Likewise, it's also your camera, music player and radio, google sky maps for star gazing, email and texting device, town/shop locator, phone, driving navigator (if you hitch you know what's up), calendar (helps figure out post office timing), weather channel, helps book cheap hotels and transportation if you need it on the fly, internet and so-so-so much more. People can hate on smart phones but I used every one of those apps while hiking on the JMT and since, on the AT.

*note: I usually carry an extra battery or solar charger, depending on season and location I'm hiking in.

Let me be more specific. On Google Maps as you are heading into Crawford Notch the trail that is shown as the AT is NOT the AT. It is a completely different trail. Google Maps shows the AT on what is also known as the A-Z Trail whereas the AT is actually on the Ethan Pond trail. If you follow Google Maps you will be off the AT completely and probably miss the @$$ kicking climb up to Webster Cliffs.

I'm not disputing the accuracy of trails listed on Google Maps.

Feral Bill
02-25-2014, 20:28
For a phone, I would use a cheap pre paid one, keeping it off except when needed. For maps, I would use paper maps.

jcheil
02-26-2014, 23:31
I used BackCountry Navigator pro for Android $10, you can download a free overlay of the entire AT including all the shelter locations. And you can pre-download the areas before you leave so you do not need any cell service.

I traced out about 10-miles on either side of the AT from GA to ME before I left. It took me about 2 hours to do the whole process and it took up about 6GB on the memory card. Obviously you do not have to go out as far as I did. I also did it for all of the zoom levels from (I think) 8-15 so I could get up close and detailed with the elevation profiles but also still have a wide enough view to see several square miles at a time on my screen. I did it specifically so that I could have an idea of the side trails in case I needed to get off in a hurry for an emergency.

Best $10 I ever spent. I used it a lot to see how much further I had to go to get to a shelter, water source or road crossing.

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2014, 23:44
The answer is yes. Your smartphone has GPS hardware built into it. When you are in a WiFi zone you will have to load in the Google maps before you get out of Town (or WiFi range). Loading in the maps means that you have to manually trace through the trail (in Topo mode) for the section you want. You can double check to make sure they are in there by turning off your WiFi and checking to see if they are in. Two problems: A.) it's a ton of work tracing through all the trail each time your in town. B.) there are many map scales and if you want access to them you have to load them.

* Note: I used this method on the JMT where there is virtually no cellular service. The GPS hardware still interfaces with the maps to let you know where you are on them.

* Note: I haven't used Guthooks app yet so I can't compare them but I see the app mentioned a lot. Probably worth checking out as well. I suppose the big question is the app just maps and trail/town info or does it interface with the GPS to let you know where you are on the maps.

Yea the zoom gets screwed up with the tiles .. missing tiles etc... Guthook's app was the solution to the problem... well thought out.

Seriously though, the few times I did bring up the Google app was to calculate how many hours back to the car, which was 2x on the last day of a week.

magic_game03
02-27-2014, 07:57
[fredmugs] Wait, the trail goes up to Webster Ciffs? Lol. No doubt you are absolutely correct. It's hard to forget a kick but climb up Webster Cliffs or the beautiful views. All I can say to that is two things: A.) it's a free app and B.) won't be the first time somebody (especially me) has take the wrong trail or walked in the wrong direction on the trail.

[Wise Old Owl] Yea, the missing tiles is because you didn't spend enough time downloading all the maps so once you stopped being in range you didn't have the data. I mentioned this as being THE trouble (*as noted in my OP) with this GPS and mapping method. I also checked into Guthooks' app and it DOES do the GPS tracking and integrates your GPS location with the maps. I guess the only question to contemplate, as a hiker, is finances. It looks like a complete map set from Guthook will run you about $100, which I find completely worth the price if I were planning a thru-hike.

coyoteone
03-02-2014, 14:52
This is for Android, but it's free and looks pretty good:

http://stevenread.com/project/appalachian-trail-maps-2013