PDA

View Full Version : Neos Trekkers Overshoes with trail runners Video

Demeter
02-24-2014, 07:58
I just finished a video on my thoughts on the NEOS Trekkers and thought I would share. While my AT through is a ways off, I do backpack frequently and think I would probably use something like this on the front end of the trail, especially if I start this time of the year; my feet get COLD very easily.

The moisture would have to be tolerated and a pack towel would definitely be needed, but I think once dried off at camp some down booties within the Neos would be pure heaven...

http://youtu.be/i_dhxASSm-4

Snowleopard
02-24-2014, 11:29
I love my NEOS overshoes for winter. Usually what I do is put Sorel type felt liners in them and use them without shoes, like a waterproof mukluk. They're warm and comfortable like this. They are not at all breathable, so condensation is a problem. For longer than a day hike you need to have a vapor barrier liner or socks, shoes or felt liner will get soaked. This can be as simple as plastic bread bags over a liner sock. I've been meaning to order these warmlite socks: http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing Since this model NEOS is so tall we might need a taller vapor barrier because there's vapor coming off your calves. Also, trekker seems to not have a full sole, so you might be getting snow into the bottom and melting inside. I have the adventurer model which has a full lugged sole.

The other thing I've done is to use a thermoplastic ski boot liner inside the NEOS; these are super warm. I got mine as a cheap closeout online. Since the trekker doesn't have a real sole, I suspect neither these nor the felt liners I use will work in it.

mortonjl
02-28-2014, 15:46
Amy you are bad ass!

Demeter
02-28-2014, 17:36
I love my NEOS overshoes for winter. Usually what I do is put Sorel type felt liners in them and use them without shoes, like a waterproof mukluk. They're warm and comfortable like this. They are not at all breathable, so condensation is a problem. For longer than a day hike you need to have a vapor barrier liner or socks, shoes or felt liner will get soaked. This can be as simple as plastic bread bags over a liner sock. I've been meaning to order these warmlite socks: http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing Since this model NEOS is so tall we might need a taller vapor barrier because there's vapor coming off your calves. Also, trekker seems to not have a full sole, so you might be getting snow into the bottom and melting inside. I have the adventurer model which has a full lugged sole.

The other thing I've done is to use a thermoplastic ski boot liner inside the NEOS; these are super warm. I got mine as a cheap closeout online. Since the trekker doesn't have a real sole, I suspect neither these nor the felt liners I use will work in it.

Snowleopard, I loved the boot liners when I had some heavy duty Sorels. Never thought of using those or the ski boot liners. But do the NEOS give you enough support? I have some high arches, but I could use my orthotic insoles with the boot liners...Hmmm...

I thought the Trekkers were supposed to be watertight, but I read some other posts where people complain about permeability. I can't wait to try out an insulated model next year. Thanks for the link on the VB socks!

Amy you are bad ass!

Awww, thanks! I am blushing :D I aspire to be as tough as the guys I hike with....

Snowleopard
03-03-2014, 11:54
I seem to have put out some bad info; it appears all NEOS have full soles. Some models have bigger lugs that may be better for snow. The thinner soles are two toned and I thought I was seeing a dark strap over the inner shoe's sole. WRONG:

... Also, trekker seems to not have a full sole, so you might be getting snow into the bottom and melting inside. I have the adventurer model which has a full lugged sole. ...

Demeter, can you confirm this?

Using the Sorel felt liner inside with no shoe is like walking with just socks on. It's really comfortable for me. The flexing of your feet helps to keep your feet warm compared to stiff boots (mukluks are the same idea). You could certainly use orthotic insoles inside them. You might need to be a little careful that the felt liner is sized for your orthotics to fit with not too much slop for them to work. NEOS also sells a 10mm eva insole that would increase warmth (put your orthotic on top of it).

P.S. Anybody who will eat Gingko Biloba nuts is definitely a bad ass! We always called them stinko trees.
http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/2014/02/ginkgo-biloba-nuts-urban-foraging.html