PDA

View Full Version : BMTA reroute maintenance work call

SGT Rock
02-24-2014, 14:22
Hikers,

I want to thank all of you who have expressed interest in the new BMT route and might have some free time to lend a hand on it. Here is the schedule for work to be done as it stands now. I'm sure we will revise this as we go along.

March 31- April 4 - Sierra Club working on the trails local to Fontana Village. This will include the section from Welch Road up to Green Gap which is confusing now.

April 15 BMTA work Trip for members and volunteers. Clear from power lines to Green Gap with chainsaws and maybe some brush cutting depending on how many show up.

26 April work trip BMTA members and volunteers. Brush cutting from power lines to Green Gap.

May 5-9 AHS work vacation with camping at Fontana Village. Probably working west from 251C back toward Old Field Gap Road.

24 May BMTA work trip for members and volunteers. Blazing and sign work mostly. I'm sure brush work and any new blow downs will be handled too.

May 31 opening ceremony. Probably some led hikes of the section.

TNhiker
02-24-2014, 18:03
thanks...

i'll pencil in april 15 weekend, but i cant promise anything as thats still a ways out...

i'd love to be able to make this into an overnighter if possible.....

just have to figure out logistics...

SGT Rock
02-25-2014, 07:51
If I can help with the logistics of that let me know.

TOW
02-25-2014, 11:48
Hikers,

I want to thank all of you who have expressed interest in the new BMT route and might have some free time to lend a hand on it. Here is the schedule for work to be done as it stands now. I'm sure we will revise this as we go along.

March 31- April 4 - Sierra Club working on the trails local to Fontana Village. This will include the section from Welch Road up to Green Gap which is confusing now.

April 15 BMTA work Trip for members and volunteers. Clear from power lines to Green Gap with chainsaws and maybe some brush cutting depending on how many show up.

26 April work trip BMTA members and volunteers. Brush cutting from power lines to Green Gap.

May 5-9 AHS work vacation with camping at Fontana Village. Probably working west from 251C back toward Old Field Gap Road.

24 May BMTA work trip for members and volunteers. Blazing and sign work mostly. I'm sure brush work and any new blow downs will be handled too.

May 31 opening ceremony. Probably some led hikes of the section.

Have you posted any of this on Facebook in the ALDHA group Rock? I am sure some from that group might be willing to lend a hand

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

SGT Rock
02-25-2014, 15:45
I don't do facebook.

TNhiker
02-25-2014, 18:17
If I can help with the logistics of that let me know.

much thanks...

mainly it would be--how far of a hike to where the work is going to be done and is there a place i can throw a tent up and possibly have a fire?

and you had talk about a forest road that kinda parallels yellowhammer----wonderin if i can drive this road in to the easiest access point to worksite and campsite area?

SGT Rock
02-26-2014, 07:57
Yellowhammer gap is sort of a ways from the work site. Do you mean Yellow Creek?

There is potential for camping on FS251 right where FS251B turns off which is about 0.2 from water and only about 2 miles in from where you could park a car on Old Field Gap road.