PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic/underquilt/hammock?

Big Dawg
09-11-2005, 17:56
I'm considering the HH Explorer UL, & insulating options,,, & I like the design & praise of JRB's quilts, like the Nest. However, I'm alergic to down. I have no problem using my NF Flight bag w/ PGD (Polarguard Delta) as a top quilt in the hammock, but there is no underquilt available w/ PGD, much less a blanket made w/ PGD (that I can find online?) that I can turn into a nest underquilt. Does such a blanket exist, & if not, how would I go about obtaining/making......... basically a JRB Nest style underqilt w/ PGD???? Any suggestions would be appreciated,,,, and yes, I realize there's a weight penalty for not going w/ down,,,,, what can I say,,, a body don't like what a body don't like,,, eehhhhhh!!

neo
09-11-2005, 19:01
there is only one option,it will have to be custom made,either make it yourself or find someone to do it,or a pad in your hammock,i use a pad with no problem:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7242/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Just Jeff
09-11-2005, 19:15
It's cake to make one yourself if you can sew even a little bit. I have instructions here:

http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html

And other insulating options here:

http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

titanium_hiker
09-11-2005, 19:43
check out Jeff's site in general- IT's EXCELLENT!! also on his front/home page he has some good links to making your own gear- check out garlington, risk and mirage. (mirage has a synthetic underquilt, risk and garlington have other methods for warmth.)

titanium

peter_pan
09-11-2005, 20:33
Big Dog,

We don't currently do synthetics quilts...barely able to keep up with demand for our down quilts at this time.

Jeff has a good point on getting a Weather Shield bottom and suspension system and fitting an old bag between the WS and the HH...similiar to the GI and bag of feathers trick... it is a very inxpensive approach.

Pan

rpettit
09-12-2005, 07:22
If you use a Garlington insulator or HH supershelter undercover you can use open cell foam between the "taco shell" and the hammock. Cost $15 for a twin bed size foam bedding from Walmart. No sewing, just cut it to fit. Might weigh less that a synthetic underquilt of similiar dimensions.

NoKnees
10-04-2005, 13:27
I am also thinking of getting A HH for my move back east next year. I already ground sleep with either a down quilt for the cold or a synthetic quilt for very warm conditions. I expect that I will continue to ground sleep from September to May. (unless the hammock does indeed turn out to be the luxury everyone seems to say)

I am thinking of making a synthetic bottom quilt with polarguard from Thu-hiker. If I make a 1" thick quilt will that suffice in late June, July and August for the northeast(mass VT,NH and the Adirondacks)?

As an alternative I could go double thickness for sections of the quilt. I think that if I do 2" for the whole quilt I should just make a down underquilt. I figure that a synthetic will be a inexpensive first start and I can go to a thicker down quilt later on.

So is a 1" polarguard under quilt a worthwhile fiirst quilt or a total waste of time?

Seeker
10-04-2005, 13:34
the hammock is indeed comfortable... i will never sleep on the ground again, god willing...

neo
10-04-2005, 13:45
the hammock is indeed comfortable... i will never sleep on the ground again, god willing...way to go,sleeping on the ground sucks,welcome to the hammock hanging crowd
:cool: neo

trippclark
10-04-2005, 14:34
I'm considering the HH Explorer UL, & insulating options,,, & I like the design & praise of JRB's quilts, like the Nest. However, I'm alergic to down.

Big Dawg,

My situation may well be different from yours, but I'll at least toss this out for your consideration. I was diagnosed with many allergies, including down, about 30 years ago when in grade school. I had therefore always avoided down products. A few years ago, I decided to test whether this was still an issue by purchasing a down bag. I had no problems. Since then, I have purchased a down peapod from Speer, a down Nest from JRB, and a down jacket from LL Bean. I have had no noticeable allergy problems at all caused by these down products. I attribute this to two things. One, I have read that allergies "change" over time. Also, I believe that today's hypoallergenic down is better cleaned of the dander and is thus less prone to cause allergic reaction. If you have not tested to see if you are indeed bothered by the newer high quality hypoallergenic down products, and are instead avoiding down because you "used to be allergic to it," it might be worth checking out before to write down off as not being an option for you. I sure wish I had done so sooner than I did.

Tripp

Just Jeff
10-04-2005, 15:24
IMO, and it's just that...

A 1" underquilt should suffice for most summertime conditions...into the 40s, say, depending on how warm you sleep. Should be quick and easy to make.

A sew-through down underquilt like the JRB SUB would get you to those temps, too, and would pack down smaller. Probably cost a little more to make, but not much more complicated unless you start adding baffles.

Big Dawg
10-04-2005, 20:20
If you have not tested to see if you are indeed bothered by the newer high quality hypoallergenic down products, and are instead avoiding down because you "used to be allergic to it," it might be worth checking out before to write down off as not being an option for you.
Thanks for the tip, Trippclark. I was diagnosed as allergic to down when I was a kid. Then when I met my wife 15 years ago, she had a down pillow, & it reconfirmed my allergic reaction----got rid of the pillow. But hey, even that was 15 years ago. I should at least go purchase my wife a down pillow, & test er out. Although, thinking about a JRB Nest Underquilt, I don't know that I would like the down to shift & leave cold spots on the sides, as I hear they do? Maybe it's not that much of an issue. Thanks again for the suggestion. :D

Just Jeff
10-04-2005, 21:08
I wrote about shifting down in my BGT review. I have since gotten the overstuff added and it seems to make quite a difference. My first real field test with the overstuff will be this weekend in Yosemite...can't wait!

All of JRB's quilts are overstuffed now.

I'd also wonder "how" allergic you are. The underquilt would be underneath the hammock, and I don't think any down comes through the hammock fabric. Just use a different quilt inside and a JRB outside, maybe? Some quills do poke through the DWR, though.

Regardless, a synthetic underquilt is simple to make. You could probably even do it with duct tape instead of sewing if you don't mind the weight penalty!

MedicineMan
10-05-2005, 03:27
get the JRB weather shield, order some primaloft bats from OWF then put the two together, you will solve two problems at once not counting the down allergy,,,primaloft bats require little stitching to hold in place.

Patrick
10-05-2005, 11:34
I have materials on order to start making and selling synthetic underquilts with Polarguard 3D. My plan was to open up shop at the end of November, but I can do so sooner if there's enough interest and if you don't mind being a de facto tester.

These are true quilts -- quilting loops not baffles. I'm using 1.1 DWR ripstop and 1.5" of Polarguard 3D. They're cut to fit the Hennessy ULB, but have adjustable perimeter elastic, so should work fine with the Explorer as well. I have plans to start producing rectangular ones as well to fit most common hammocks.

Weight should be 24 oz. Silnylon stuff sack and breathable storage sack will be included. Price will be $150, which includes shipping to the lower 48 and Alaska.

The website should be up at the end of next week, complete with pictures and final specifications.

Feel free to PM me or reach me at [email protected] ([email protected])

-Patrick