PDA

View Full Version : Accomodations in Luray?

Lazarus
02-25-2014, 16:09
I'm planning a section from Waynesboro VA to Harper's Ferry in May, & I'm wondering about the lodging situation in Luray. There are several motels listed in the guidebooks. Does anyone have a favorite, or one to avoid?

mikec
02-25-2014, 16:30
You could always stay up on Skyline Drive at Skyland. It overlooks Luray. The AT is within .2 miles of Skyland. Great food, a tap room nice rooms and hot showers.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-25-2014, 16:32
but very expensive

Slo-go'en
02-25-2014, 16:50
I'd skip dropping down to Luray as there really isn't any good reason to do so. By the time you get to the road down to Luray, you only have a day or two left before getting to Front Royal where rooms are significantly less expensive. The money you save not going to Luray you can spend at the way stations and campgrounds in the park on food. Although the Luray Caverns are pretty neat if you can find a way to get there.

Deer Hunter
02-25-2014, 18:04
Don't know how much you are looking to spend but these are pretty nice and it has a restaurant, too.

http://www.brooksidecabins.com/

I wasn't overly impressed with Skyland's rooms but maybe it was just my room. The food was pretty good, though.

Special K
02-25-2014, 18:26
I'm planning a section from Waynesboro VA to Harper's Ferry in May, & I'm wondering about the lodging situation in Luray. There are several motels listed in the guidebooks. Does anyone have a favorite, or one to avoid?

We stayed at the Best Western. Hot breakfast but you have to pay. Can resupply at WalMart 6-7 miles away. Can use Senior Citizen or Military discount.

Sly
02-25-2014, 18:55
Here's the most recently revised map of Luray. If you go into town and notice any errors, please let me know.

oldwetherman
02-25-2014, 21:32
1+ on the Best Western in Luray. It's a nice, hiker friendly town. Has a one man cab company in town that will take you anywhere for just a few bucks and he's a really nice guy. Luray was my favorite trail town

Deacon
02-26-2014, 07:08
I'd skip dropping down to Luray as there really isn't any good reason to do so. By the time you get to the road down to Luray, you only have a day or two left before getting to Front Royal where rooms are significantly less expensive. The money you save not going to Luray you can spend at the way stations and campgrounds in the park on food. Although the Luray Caverns are pretty neat if you can find a way to get there.

Excellent advice!