PDA

View Full Version : Weekend (Winter) Hikes in the Whites?

rafe
02-25-2014, 20:12
I'm game for mellow weekend day hikes or possibly even camping in the Whites, effective any weekend... winter included. My hiking buddy of the last couple of winters has abandoned me.

Summertime I'm happy hiking alone, but in winter it ain't so safe (or fun) going it alone. PM me if interested. I'm in Bedford, MA.

Slo-go'en
02-26-2014, 00:01
The RMC Gray Knob cabin with its wood burning stove (actually bio-bricks this year), located just below tree line on MT Adams is hard to beat. Price is only $20 a night. Check out the RMC web site for more info www.randolphmountainclub.org (http://www.randolphmountainclub.org) There is always a good crowd up there every weekend.

peakbagger
02-26-2014, 08:10
Worse case if you play well with others is meetup.com Random Group of Hikers and The New England Hiking Meetup are two popular groups that are active and respect group sizes. The 4 season hiking group is quite popular but their hikes tend to have very large group sizes and has the rep of being cliquey.

rafe
03-03-2014, 23:20
Well this was interesting I finally got on to VFTT (Views from the top) and got hooked up with someone I already knew, sorta vaguely -- I just never knew he was a hiker. Small world. Anyway here's a little pano from the summit of Pemigewasset, near Kinsman and Canon. Taken last Saturday. An easy 1.6 miles each way. Sky was kinda gray but it was a good day to be out, not too cold or windy.

We'd intended to hike up Kinsman from 116 but ditched that plan when we saw the thermometer read -5 degrees at 7 AM.