PDA

View Full Version : Need help packing

rnadeline
02-25-2014, 21:17
Alright ladies, I need help. In about two weeks I'm going on the AT for a week. We're starting at the beginning in Georgia. I have a pack and several other things. but I need to see a complete list of what I should bring. I'm looking to pack light. Please please help me. I have very little time to prepare.

q-tip
02-26-2014, 10:05
I have a complete list of gear for three season, ultralight and food with weights and costs. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will forward. Good Luck....

Hikes in Rain
02-26-2014, 10:29
Pardon me for butting into the lady's forum, but here's a list that BigCranky (I think) posted some while back. It's very complete.

PACK
2-3 pound internal frame pack with big outside pockets, around 3500-4000 ci total. ULA, Six Moons Designs, REI Flash, Granite Gear, etc.
trash bag to line pack
silnylon pack cover

SLEEP
2-3 pound single wall tent, or 1 pound silnylon tarp. Tarptent, SMD, Lightheart.
ground sheet -- either tyvek or polycro
high quality down sleeping bag -- this is the only really expensive item in the pack. Marmot, Western Mountaineering, Montbell. The temp rating depends on when you start your hike, but a good 15-F or 20-F rated bag will go the whole way. A silnylon roll-top stuff sack for your bag.
A sleeping pad, either Thermarest Prolite Plus or Z-lite

EAT
Small aluminum or titanium mug or pot, 700-1000ml, with lid. Snow Peak, Montbell
Homemade alcohol stove or a <3 ounce canister stove
Spoon. I like a long handled spoon for convenience. NO SPORKS!
A tiny dropper bottle of dish soap and a piece of “onion bag” nylon mesh for cleanup
2 Gatorade or Aqua Fina bottles for water
Aqua Mira drops for water treatment
A larger bag for collecting water, like the Platypus Big Zip bags
A 50-ft piece of lightweight cord and a tiny carabiner for hanging food
A silnylon roll-top stuff sack for your food

CLOTHING

Clothes to wear on the trail:
light base layer top, synthetic or wool, short or long sleeve
synthetic briefs if you wear them
light long john bottoms
nylon running shorts or zipoff pants, like the REI Sahara
light fleece hat and very light gloves
mid-weight wool socks
trail runners that fit well

Clothes to wear in camp or on breaks:
mid-weight base layer top, wool or synthetic, like the Capilene 3
mid-weight base layer bottoms, same
down or synthetic puffy jacket, or a 300-weight fleece jacket
warm fleece hat and gloves
thick wool socks for sleeping
Many hikers bring Crocs or similar for camp shoes. Very popular.

Other clothes:
waterproof and breathable rain shell, like the Marmot Precip jacket
rain pants, same thing
nylon ball cap
gaiters -- some people won’t hike without them. I like them in snow.

STUFF:
lightweight headlamp
hiking sticks, if you use them
watch, compass, phone (charger), camera (charger, spare cards)
journal, pencil
a small first aid kit, and any personal medications
a ziploc sandwich bag with your cash, credit cards, ID card, etc
toiletries -- toothbrush and paste, Purell, toilet paper, powder and skin lotion, sunscreen,
ear plugs (essential), and a whistle
A sit pad made of closed cell foam, large enough for your sitting area

All of this will fit in a 3200-cubic-inch pack, or smaller, and weigh around 15-18 pounds base weight (that is, without food or water.) Total weight with 4 days of food and 2 liters of water is 25-28 pounds.

Hot Flash
02-26-2014, 10:32
Alright ladies, I need help. In about two weeks I'm going on the AT for a week. We're starting at the beginning in Georgia. I have a pack and several other things. but I need to see a complete list of what I should bring. I'm looking to pack light. Please please help me. I have very little time to prepare.

Why is this in this forum? Why don't you ask everyone, not just the women? Having two X chromosomes doesn't mean your gear list is special.

Sierra2015
02-26-2014, 10:43
Why is this in this forum? Why don't you ask everyone, not just the women? Having two X chromosomes doesn't mean your gear list is special.
Why are you posting in this thread? How is this relevant? Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it should be expressed. ;)

DeerPath
02-26-2014, 12:04

Are you having a Hot Flash?:)

rnadeline
02-26-2014, 12:22
I wasn't sure if women carried different things? New hiker here, just trying to figure this stuff out. I'm going with a group of guys who make me feel stupid for not knowing what to bring, anyway. Don't need it here.

bfayer
02-26-2014, 12:32
I wasn't sure if women carried different things? New hiker here, just trying to figure this stuff out. I'm going with a group of guys who make me feel stupid for not knowing what to bring, anyway. Don't need it here.

I apologize for budding in on this forum, but don't ever let anyone make you feel stupid. Everyone needs to learn sometime. Not knowing something does not make anyone stupid ever. Also don't let anyone on here chase you away.

Welcome to WB.

I'll go away now :)

Rocket Jones
02-26-2014, 12:33
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

My browser has been acting up, so follow that link, scroll down to the Mountain Crossing's Method list. Great list of everything you need. Extras and luxuries are up to you.

henry g wilgo
02-26-2014, 16:01
thanks for info...there is always a need for some of us trail hiking lovers

q-tip
02-27-2014, 10:44
I won't even begin to tell you how many stupid things I asked and did in front of this community. Bottom line, if backpacking was easy and getting properly outfitted was easy, everyone would do it. Keep asking questions. I have been hiking for 12 years including climbing in India and Switzerland, the learning never ends. Good Luck...!!!!

Demeter
02-27-2014, 18:56
Hi rnadeline! Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Here is my list for spring/fall from last year. I have since changed a couple of things (like a Sawyer Squeeze modified onto my platypus), and I indulge in my heavier hammock when I am carrying less clothing. You may want to check out geargrams.com if you have not already done so!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=14577

For spring/ fall shoulder seasons I will swap out the silk underwear for wool midweight, and add wool gloves and a hat. I love my Stoic Hadron. Great warmth on chilly mornings and so light for the insulation it gives me! The GPS is usually overkill, but it was a Christmas present from my husband and I swore to him I would carry it always. He is still trying to make me carry a personal locator beacon.

P.s. before I get any crazy critiques on how I can lighten my load, I am totally happy with the 15# weight of my pack! This is what works for me and makes me happy. YMMV

Lucy Lulu
02-28-2014, 15:57
Welcome rnadeline! Don't worry about those of us that are a little gruff. We have our good days and bad days....:-). I've put my list below. This is just what works for me. I imagine every list will vary. Hope it helps and have a great hike.

Backpack - I'll assume you already have this.
Compactor bag - I line my pack with this, and put my sleeping bag and clothes in it, and fold it down to keep everything dry.
Rain Cover - for pack in colder weather.
Sleeping Bag/Quilt - A twenty degree bag is usually good for March. I use a down bag/quilt.
Tarp/Tent/Tarptent - I'm assuming you have this already also.
Pillow - I stuff extra clothes and jacket in sleeping bag sack.

Trail Runners - I use waterproof shoes in winter.
Mid-weight smart wool socks - 2 pairs for a week. Some people take a third pair to sleep in for cold weather.
Rain pants - I use these as regular pants over my shorts in cold weather. My legs don't get cold easily.
Rain jacket
Fleece/Wind jacket
Down Jacket for camp
Mid-weight wool shirt - one two hike in and one to sleep in at night.
Wool glove liners
Waterproof mitts to go over the liners for rain and cold
Fleece hat
Bandanas - I carry two. They can be used for many purposes...cleaning, ear covers, face cover, head cover, etc.
If you spend a bit of time in camp, you may want to consider some tights for mid-weight thermals for your legs.

Toilet Paper
Fingernail clippers
Small knife
Floss
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Ibuprofen
Leuki Tape - Tape the hot spot well before the blister ever starts
Duct tape - numerous uses
Bandaids
I don't filter, but a water filter or aquamira if you use them.
Small sewing needles. Floss makes great thread.
Heat rash cream - rashes are uncomfortable & I have needed it in the winter also.
Neosporin
A couple of bandages
Headlamp & and extra set of batteries

I don't cook anymore, but when I did....
Stove
Fuel
Spoon/Fork
Two small lighters
One pot with handle and lid
Waterproof bag - for dinners and snacks - I usually have everything in stuff sack also in bags.
Waterproof bag - for lunch and breakfasts.
Water bottles - I carry two 16 oz bottles, stopping at most streams to drink a bottle, so I don't carry a lot. Make sure you pay attention to your maps/guide so you now how far it is between sources. When I cooked I would carry a third bottle or platypus sack, to fill for camp towards the end of the day.

I may have forgotten a few things, but I believe this covers the basics.

bigcranky
02-28-2014, 23:05
Pardon me for butting into the lady's forum, but here's a list that BigCranky (I think) posted some while back. It's very complete.

Wow, yeah, that's mine. To put it in context, it's my generic long-distance-hiking gear list -- what you find if you open up a random average LD hiker's pack. While everyone has different brands and specific items, the general gear types tend to be very similar. Consider it "advice to a thru-hiker," meaning it's not quite as useful for a week long hike. (No reason to spend a bunch of money on high end gear for a single week's hike.) But the general categories should be helpful.

I have a spreadsheet I can send you if you like (just send a PM.) Hope you have a great hike, madeline, and :welcome.

Wilson2016
03-01-2014, 04:35
You said you were hiking with dudes. Don't worry, let them think they have it covered. Just listen to the good advise here and you'll be ok!

lonehiker
03-01-2014, 08:48

Why would you associate with people that make you feel stupid?

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 11:19
Why would you associate with people that make you feel stupid?That's an interesting question to ask.... ;)

It's her, not them.

I think I know what she meant. I always feel stupid when I talk to someone about some sort of physics or something. Because I'm clueless.

Hikes in Rain
03-01-2014, 14:48
"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects" Will Rogers.

Ignorance is completely different from stupidity. For one, it's correctable. Took me for-freakin'-ever to figure out the difference!