PDA

View Full Version : DWR treatment for down jacket

Drybones
02-26-2014, 15:12
I have a down jacket that I'd like to put a DWR treatment on, does anyone know what product might work best? Thanks.

Drybones
02-26-2014, 15:12
I have a down jacket that I'd like to put a DWR treatment on, does anyone know what product might work best? Thanks.

Make that treatment.

ottercreek_hiker
02-26-2014, 18:16
Try Nikwax, they have a wash-in and a spray on DWR treatment.

Venchka
02-26-2014, 19:51
If it is a garment you care about, I would talk to the folks at Rainy Pass Repairs about making your down jacket like new again. I am about ready to send them a down sleeping bag, down vest and Gore-Tex parka for rejuvenation.

http://rainypass.com/services/

Wayne

Drybones
02-26-2014, 20:03
If it is a garment you care about, I would talk to the folks at Rainy Pass Repairs about making your down jacket like new again. I am about ready to send them a down sleeping bag, down vest and Gore-Tex parka for rejuvenation.

http://rainypass.com/services/

Wayne

Actually, it's a $21 jacket I got at Walmart, been wearing it every day for a couple of weeks and I may like it better than the Marmot Zeus I have...I drink Bush beer and Evan Williams so yes, I have cheap tastes. I dont really know that it's needed since I never hike in a down jacket and always carry it packed in a dry bag until I reach camp but was thinking it would be nice to have treated if I could find a cost effective method.

Venchka
02-26-2014, 23:30
Sounds like the right tool for the job. Let us know how it works.

Wayne

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2014, 01:51
I have tried this with limited success - instead I retired the old one to workplace "getting up in the morning in the nasty winter" and the new one is completely waterproof, inside and out, for $170 bucks.

Sierra2015
02-27-2014, 05:14
I've worried about this for when I make that quilt.

Let me me know what you end up using, Drybones.

saltysack
02-27-2014, 08:46

The Nikwax treatment will cost more than jacket!!!!!!:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shonryu
02-27-2014, 08:52
Its funny you said this. I watched a video a guy made on Youtube explaining how to do this and the brand her recommends.

Nikiwax seems to be a good option and I found a 10oz bottle on Amazon for $10 including shipping w a prime account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eub7T0Yn_yA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Drybones
02-27-2014, 08:59
I've worried about this for when I make that quilt.

Let me me know what you end up using, Drybones.

You may want to use material that's already treated for that quilt, I'll be making a hammock underquilt some time in the future and that's what I plan to do.

Sierra2015
02-27-2014, 09:14
You may want to use material that's already treated for that quilt, I'll be making a hammock underquilt some time in the future and that's what I plan to do.
Yeah, I googled after I posted. Didn't realize that was available!

Hey... Maybe we can buy in bulk and split the buy. (Since bulk seems more than I'd need.)

marti038
02-27-2014, 10:15
Nikwax Down Proof...

http://www.rei.com/product/800914/nikwax-down-proof-wash-in-10-fl-oz

I've never used it, but in case you haven't seen it you might want to give it a shot.

q-tip
02-27-2014, 10:19
What I have read is that in treatments for down is not a particularly good idea. I have been using ReviveX for many years on all of my gear including down jackets and WM sleeping bags. The key is to dry it for 30-45 min on med-low medium as not to damage the shell. Just some thoughts.....

Drybones
02-27-2014, 12:26
Nikwax Down Proof...

http://www.rei.com/product/800914/nikwax-down-proof-wash-in-10-fl-oz

I've never used it, but in case you haven't seen it you might want to give it a shot.

I'm due for a run to REI in Kennesaw in the next week or so, may give this a try, I bought two of the jackets so if I ruin one I'm out $21 + the treatment, but I still have another jacket...thanks.

marti038
02-27-2014, 14:48
I'm due for a run to REI in Kennesaw in the next week or so, may give this a try, I bought two of the jackets so if I ruin one I'm out $21 + the treatment, but I still have another jacket...thanks.

Let me know how it goes as I too purchased a couple of these jackets.

Drybones
02-27-2014, 15:09
Let me know how it goes as I too purchased a couple of these jackets.

Will do.....................

saltysack
02-27-2014, 19:21
I'm still hunting one of elusive Wally World $20 down beauty's to make my pup a sleeping bag out of!! Cut off arms... Sew arm holes and he will have his own down bag!!

Drybones
02-27-2014, 20:53
I'm still hunting one of elusive Wally World $20 down beauty's to make my pup a sleeping bag out of!! Cut off arms... Sew arm holes and he will have his own down bag!!

I'd say they're all sold out by now, they don't last long at $21.

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 00:23
DWRs and their application to a down piece add to the cost. Sounds like your $$$Mart bargain jacket didn't come with a DWR as the Marmot Zeus or even the LLBean or JC Penny or Costco down jackets selling for $50 and less I've seen. Now, are you getting a better idea of WHY that jacket was so cheap? For the VERY LARGE part, reputable non fly by night outdoors companies apply a DWR to their down gear especially down jackets/vests and often down sleeping bags. Now, if you apply the Nikwax product Marti recommends or NikWax Tx Direct Wash In or Spray On OR Mcnetts Revivex Spray On( a good DWR product too) it'll cost ya an additional $12-14 to get a down jacket with a DWR. That down jacket that cost you $21(which I haven't located in any $$$Mart, I've been looking too) is now, after the up front purchase price, costing ya about $35. HMMMM?

If you do find an acceptable DWR apply it to a clean jacket so it works out better for ya. That might add more to the overall cost if you have to wash a dirty jacket with Nik Wax Down Wash before applying the DWR.

What's liable to happen is just as Saltsack said:
The Nikwax treatment will cost more than jacket!!!!!!:-)....

If you wanted a jacket to be used for hiking, including in camp, mostly to be used in the humid and often warm, sometimes wet, southeast especially Alabama, did you consider a light wt synthetic jacket as a possible alternative? It might work better for ya. My bro lives in Atlanta. I just bought him a vest for his B-day. I could have given him a name brand down vest, which is what he first asked for, a heavy one at that, on sale at a steep discount but I thought he would get much more use, and with fewer potential issues, wearing it mainly in the Atlanta area, with a light wt synthetic vest that even had a DWR. Cost $45. The REI RevelCloud. Primaloft insulation, Petex Quantum shell. DWR, etc. Found two on a clearance rack, one in his size, in an Atlanta REI in the blue he wanted. He loves it. He says it's the perfect amt of insulation for him with one thicker layer or two thinner layers on underneath. Saved me some do re mi as well.

The Nikwax treatment will cost more than jacket!!!!!!:-)....

marti038
02-28-2014, 10:02
Is there a way to block posts from certain folks on this site or do you just have to learn to ignore them?

saltysack
02-28-2014, 10:22
Is there a way to block posts from certain folks on this site or do you just have to learn to ignore them?

What's wrong with a joke??? Even if it's true or not??

marti038
02-28-2014, 11:25

I like jokes. I wasn't asking this based on any of your comments. It was more of a general question.

saltysack
02-28-2014, 11:43
Gotcha

Drybones
02-28-2014, 12:08

You just have to ignor them, there are one or two, once I've learned how they are, I just never bother to read what they say.

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 12:10

Off topic, but I got to ask... which joke?? Did it get deleted or something?

Drybones
02-28-2014, 12:14
Off topic, but I got to ask... which joke?? Did it get deleted or something?

I didn't see it either...did laugh at you "communist" comment tho...don't know why, makes me wonder about myself.

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 13:23
I didn't see it either...did laugh at you "communist" comment tho...don't know why, makes me wonder about myself. Love hearing that.

No one expects me to be funny. Sigh

SunnyWalker
03-02-2014, 11:39
Thanks to this thread I ordered some Nikwax for my Down Jacket. Thanks friends.

Drybones
03-11-2014, 18:46
Well, I finally tried the Nikwax wash and Down Proof on a sleeping bag and two Walmart jackets, water beads up and rolls right off, don't know how long it will last but it looks good now.

marti038
03-12-2014, 09:20
Well, I finally tried the Nikwax wash and Down Proof on a sleeping bag and two Walmart jackets, water beads up and rolls right off, don't know how long it will last but it looks good now.

Thanks for the update.

SunnyWalker
03-31-2014, 17:34
Drybones: I jus sprayed one side of my Wal-Mart down jacket. How many coats did you put on? I think I have a large enough amt of Nikwa for more then one coat. Thanks.

Drybones
03-31-2014, 19:30
Drybones: I jus sprayed one side of my Wal-Mart down jacket. How many coats did you put on? I think I have a large enough amt of Nikwa for more then one coat. Thanks.

I didn't spray it, I washed it in the down wash and then did another wash cycle using the down proof, washed two jackets and a sleeping bag, did the trick, water beads up and the sleeping bag seems to have fluffed up rather nicely, I'm assuming the down inside the bag is at least somewhat water repellant also.

SunnyWalker
04-01-2014, 01:25
Oh sorry. I purchased a spray bottle of Nikwax. Oh well, I think I'll just keep putting on coats till I run out. Maybe end up with two coatings.

Drybones
04-01-2014, 07:09
Oh sorry. I purchased a spray bottle of Nikwax. Oh well, I think I'll just keep putting on coats till I run out. Maybe end up with two coatings.

Let us know how that works, I started to try the spray but had a sleeping bag that had been saturated a couple of times with sweat from a case of flu maturing on a hike so I needed to wash it anyway and went with the wash.