PDA

View Full Version : Do section hikers prefer nobo or sobo?

rafe
02-26-2014, 21:28
I stitched together my AT hike with no devotion to direction. In the end I think it was almost 50-50 nobo-sobo.

Doing my last 600 miles sobo, I was surprised at the dearth of other long-distance hikers. It was a very solitary hike. No sobos passed me for the first 300 miles, then two thru's passed me in SNP (we leapfrogged for a few days) and then no more. On the other hand, I met a dozen or so nobo section hikers and late thru's.

Which makes me think section hikers lean nobo, just like thru-hikers. Ya think? Or too small a sample to say?

Don H
02-26-2014, 21:37
Available, safe trailhead parking always determines which way I go.

hikerboy57
02-26-2014, 21:40
nope i prefer sobo so that i dont have to hike with thrus. i meet more of them that way, and have no urge to try to keep up.i sobo'd maine 2 yrs back, and met quite a few sobos who had flipped to get out of the heat.
and it depends on the section, logistics. sometimes nobo is better, others, sobo.
and the same stretch of trail can give you 2 very different trips.

Malto
02-26-2014, 21:50
I generally will hike toward home because it is less driving. So living in pa, most of my hikes in the southern half have been NoBo and all of my hikes in the northern half have been southbound.

4eyedbuzzard
02-26-2014, 22:53
A lot of my section hikes in NH were NOBO. Partly because the AT runs southwest to northeast in NH and the prevailing winds are usually from the west. Above treeline it can make quite a difference. I much preferred the wind at my back or quartering, rather than hiking face-on into it. No, it didn't always work out perfectly as planned, but I think mostly it helped.

Slo-go'en
02-26-2014, 23:21
Your much more likely to meet people going the opposite way then you are.

When I SOBOed NC in May, I passed like 700 NOBOs.

rafe
02-26-2014, 23:42
Your much more likely to meet people going the opposite way then you are.

When I SOBOed NC in May, I passed like 700 NOBOs.

Well yeah but that's like starting gate of the Boston Marathon. For the other extreme, go PA to southern VA in August and early September.

Hill Ape
02-26-2014, 23:45
when section hiking nobo/sobo make little difference. put in/take out do. what is most convenient for everyone involved

HighLiner
02-26-2014, 23:46
I preferred walking north. More company and better chance at seeing folks more than once.

Odd Man Out
02-26-2014, 23:51
I was planning to hike NOBO from the VA 635 crossing to Daleville this summer, but that section of the trail generally runs from west to east, so maybe that's EABO? But then again, from that trailhead, you actually hike south:confused:. But I really picked that route as it's the right distance for a week trip, I can drive to Daleville, stay at a hotel the night before, get a shuttle to the trailhead, and walk back to the car. I don't want to have to hike to meet a schedule.

Kolo
02-27-2014, 00:17
I started out SOBO and have stuck with it so far. Although, since a lot of my hikes are day hikes, I do my share of out and backs. I guess I'm either double dipping or just a glutton for punishment.

rafe
02-27-2014, 00:19
I can place Daleville, but I can't quite place the VA 635 crossing without digging out maps. If it's where I'm guessing, it's a stretch of trail near to my heart, in good ways and bad.

Convenience is a big deal. I started two of my sections from my sister-in-law's place, near Bear Mountain in NY. Nobo to MA one year, sobo to PA the next year.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-27-2014, 00:39
I usually hike nobo, but just because I'm compulsive. If I feel the need to meet folk, I just walk backward. That way when they pass me, which they will, I get to say Hi to their faces!

Big Dawg
02-27-2014, 01:19
Available, safe trailhead parking always determines which way I go.

Same here,,,, although most trips have been nobo.

Hikes in Rain
02-27-2014, 10:14
Depends on which direction is downhill!

Odd Man Out
02-27-2014, 10:38
I can place Daleville, but I can't quite place the VA 635 crossing without digging out maps. If it's where I'm guessing, it's a stretch of trail near to my heart, in good ways and bad....

VA 635 AKA Stony Creek Rd - Trail head between Pine Swamp Branch and Baily Gap Shelters - 71 miles to Daleville.

no-name
02-27-2014, 10:51
495 trail miles over 7 section hikes and always southbound. I guess the first hike worked out sobo so I just keep planning it that way. Finally bought the sobo version of guidebook, but it was fun to use it backwards when I had the nobo version!

flemdawg1
02-27-2014, 11:19
I hike to my car. Sometimes its NObO, sometimes SOBO. Depends on where the car is, normally a hostel, or trail town (Franklin, Hot Springs, Erwin, Duncannon, Damascus, etc.). Most times I'll do one hike Nobo and the next Sobo using the same ending point and shuttle provider.

FarmerChef
02-27-2014, 11:29
I live approximately in the middle. So half the time I hike nobo and the other half sobo away from where I live. In the Whites we threw caution to the wind and hiked whichever way made the 2 or 3 day section easier, flipping all over the place to make it easier on us and the kids. Worked like a charm and we kept running into the thrus we'd made friends with at the start of the week.

Kerosene
02-27-2014, 12:07
I've switched it around depending on logistics. After starting in the Mid-Atlantic states in the seventies, I did learn to try to avoid leaving gaps in my coverage as trying to get back east to fill in those gaps becomes a real PITA. I actually flip-flopped in the middle of one section hike, going from Hampton to Damascus in 2 days with a backpacking buddy who could only join me for the weekend, and then bopping back to Hampton to hike SOBO to Erwin for the rest of the week.

With only Rangeley-to-Katahdin remaining, I'll be going NOBO for the next two Septembers. Unfortunately I prefer to hike against the thru-hiker bubble as I hate to leapfrog other hikers all day, but there's no way I'm going to leave a mileage gap in the middle of Maine!

Almost There
02-27-2014, 12:31
Don't really think about it, I'd say i'm probably 70% NOBO, and 30% SOBO. Did the Wilderness SOBO in June one year. Did Dickey Gap back to Damascus another year, but other than that I've gone almost entirely NOBO...just happens to be the way it works out for shuttles, etc. I really don't have a preference, although my favorite so far has been both my SOBO hikes.

Lemni Skate
02-27-2014, 13:29
I don't have much preference. I just start and stop at points that logistically seem to work out best. I like stopping near a town so I'm close to food.

rafe
02-27-2014, 13:31
VA 635 AKA Stony Creek Rd - Trail head between Pine Swamp Branch and Baily Gap Shelters - 71 miles to Daleville.

This includes a crossing of VA 621, I believe, just south of Kelly Knob? Where my attempted thru ended, and where I finally finished the trail 17 years later, ambling down from PA way.

Lemni Skate
02-27-2014, 13:32
Depends on which direction is downhill!

Glad somebody else said it! Look at the elevations of the two planned endpoints. Start at the higher one!

Berserker
02-27-2014, 13:47
I go NOBO for no other reason than I decreed that I would do all my sections NOBO. That was 7 years ago, and I've now done about half of the trail...I wish I hadn't of laid down that decree, but I'm going to honor it anyway. That way I'll have done a NOBO hike once I finish.

rafe
02-27-2014, 13:54
Glad somebody else said it! Look at the elevations of the two planned endpoints. Start at the higher one!

I did a number of my sections as bike-hikes, so my logic was exactly the opposite. I'd leave the car at the highest trailhead, bike to the other end (by road) then walk back to the car and pick up the bike on the drive home. Eg. hiking from Gorham to Grafton Notch, I'd rather bike going the other way, and coast downhill from the Notch.

Taking this same approach on the Long Trail, there's no way to win. It's always a stiff uphill over several miles to the trail crossing.

Alligator
02-27-2014, 14:21
Section hikers take it* any way they can get it.

North or South.
In the heat:sun.
In the rain (raingear optional:-?).
Uphill and downhill:banana.
Quickly or for days and weeks at a time:D.

With or without a dog:eek:.
Alone or in groups:welcome.
Day or night:o.

*it being hikes that is;).

fredmugs
02-27-2014, 14:35
I did most of mine SOBO because it was easier to find people on here going NOBO and then set up car swaps with them. The other advantage of SOBO is most people are NOBO and you can hit them up for trail intel.

Seatbelt
02-27-2014, 15:22
I hike to my car. Sometimes its NObO, sometimes SOBO. Depends on where the car is, normally a hostel, or trail town (Franklin, Hot Springs, Erwin, Duncannon, Damascus, etc.). Most times I'll do one hike Nobo and the next Sobo using the same ending point and shuttle provider.
This is exactly what I do as well. Same line of thinking when setting up my next section.

wornoutboots
02-27-2014, 15:28
I'm nearly to Harpers Ferry & I switch my directions up in hopes of seeing a few thru's so I can learn how their hike is going & to encourage them since they are right round their 1/2 way point & I feel they could use a little love..

The Snowman
02-27-2014, 17:13
I like going SOBO but as I mostly hike to and from my car it really doesn't natter I see the trail in both directions anyway.

Odd Man Out
02-27-2014, 18:01
Yup, VA 621 will be about 1/2 way.

earlyriser26
02-27-2014, 22:13
sometimes the parking or shuttle situation dictates direction, but normally I try to go down hill.

Del Q
02-27-2014, 23:34
The last few years, I have hiked SOBO in the Spring and NOBO in the Fall. Last year, Damascus to Erwin ran into about 80 hikers.

My plan is to summit Springer and Katahdin in the same year...............this year am going to switch things up, going from the Smokies to Erwin.

StovieWander
02-28-2014, 00:26
I prefer yo-yo to avoid hitchhiking and shuttles, but I did VA mostly unidirectional with the help of Greyhound.

JansportD2
02-28-2014, 01:07
Almost all SOBO - don't know why.

illabelle
02-28-2014, 05:58
sometimes the parking or shuttle situation dictates direction, but normally I try to go down hill.

Completely true for us.
One possible exception: If a section has a particularly difficult or dangerous incline, we will adjust our direction according to the advice of those who have "been there, done that."

HikerMom58
02-28-2014, 10:13
Section hikers take it* any way they can get it.

North or South.
In the heat:sun.
In the rain (raingear optional:-?).
Uphill and downhill:banana.
Quickly or for days and weeks at a time:D.

With or without a dog:eek:.
Alone or in groups:welcome.
Day or night:o.

*it being hikes that is;).

Alligator- This post is so funny- I love it! You covered it all... LOL. :sun& everything in between! ;) Of course you had me with all the emoticons!

I happen to agree with you too! :p Section hikers will git it any way they can... jus git er done!

C'mon Spring!

rafe
02-28-2014, 11:11

Interesting. I figured I was in for the long haul, saving vertical never entered my mind in choosing direction.

HikerMom58
02-28-2014, 12:22
Interesting. I figured I was in for the long haul, saving vertical never entered my mind in choosing direction.

I section hike with my daughter. When we can work out the logistics so that we can do a section avoiding the big climbs,(like earlyriser26) we are open to changing directions. (we do)

We aren't "purists", but I do admire the ones that section hike, in the same direction, the entire way "up" or "down" the trail. :cool:

earlyriser26
02-28-2014, 13:44

One thing is true about many section hikers. They are not in "trail shape". Going up is often the toughest thing for a section hiker. Going down is often the toughest thin for a Thru.

rafe
02-28-2014, 13:46
I think there's something to be said for finishing at Katahdin or at Springer. Finishing at an anonymous road crossing in VA was anticlimactic. I've seen too many of those pix of triumphant thrus at the Katahdin summit sign. OTOH, I'd climbed Katahdin a couple of times long before I gave the AT any kind of thought.

rafe
02-28-2014, 13:52
One thing is true about many section hikers. They are not in "trail shape". Going up is often the toughest thing for a section hiker. Going down is often the toughest thin for a Thru.

I find it only takes a few days to get into the groove. Up and down have their own challenges, but they're just yin and yang. Where there's one, the other lurks nearby. When my attitude goes to hell, I call 'em PUDs.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2014, 14:48
I stitched together my AT hike with no devotion to direction. In the end I think it was almost 50-50 nobo-sobo.

Doing my last 600 miles sobo, I was surprised at the dearth of other long-distance hikers. It was a very solitary hike. No sobos passed me for the first 300 miles, then two thru's passed me in SNP (we leapfrogged for a few days) and then no more. On the other hand, I met a dozen or so nobo section hikers and late thru's.

Which makes me think section hikers lean nobo, just like thru-hikers. Ya think? Or too small a sample to say?

I'm assuming by section hikers you mean as the ATC defines, someone seeking to "complete the A.T. in multiple trips over a period of years".

It's an interesting question but hard to tell which of the posts are accurately attempting to complete the requirements for a 2,000 miler.

I'd be curious to hear from actual section hikers.

rafe
02-28-2014, 14:58
WM, I had to scratch my head a bit wondering just what you were driving at, but I think I get it. Yes, I'm mostly interested in folks attempting to walk the whole trail, but not as a thru. Or at least, folks who'd given that a serious try.

BobTheBuilder
02-28-2014, 15:11

OK - here you go! 820 miles done, about 1350 left to go. I would have liked to thru hike when I started 8 years ago, but between work and kids that was not an acceptable option, so I have been section hiking. I start every section at the same point I finished the previous section, and always hike NOBO. The reason is pretty simple - this is the closest I can get to a NOBO thru hike experience, so that is what I choose to do. If for some reason involving shuttles or logistics I had to do a section SOBO, I would do it, but I have been able to make it work this way so far.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2014, 17:19
OK - here you go! 820 miles done, about 1350 left to go. I would have liked to thru hike when I started 8 years ago, but between work and kids that was not an acceptable option, so I have been section hiking. I start every section at the same point I finished the previous section, and always hike NOBO. The reason is pretty simple - this is the closest I can get to a NOBO thru hike experience, so that is what I choose to do. If for some reason involving shuttles or logistics I had to do a section SOBO, I would do it, but I have been able to make it work this way so far.

Thanks for putting your thoughts into the subject at hand.

Sandy of PA
02-28-2014, 21:40
863 miles NOBO, 468 miles SOBO, hope to finish the rest NOBO this summer. Transportation determines direction.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2014, 21:54
863 miles NOBO, 468 miles SOBO, hope to finish the rest NOBO this summer. Transportation determines direction.

Wow, almost done. It's cool that you keep a record of which parts you did and in what direction.

Astro
02-28-2014, 22:52
Wow, almost done. It's cool that you keep a record of which parts you did and in what direction.

Started out NOBO from Springer since I have family near by and easy to get 3-5 day sections in when visiting. 671 miles into it now so logistics are a little tougher and more expensive. Will continue NOBO hopefully knocking it out over the next 3 summers.

rocketsocks
02-28-2014, 23:29
I'm assuming by section hikers you mean as the ATC defines, someone seeking to "complete the A.T. in multiple trips over a period of years".

It's an interesting question but hard to tell which of the posts are accurately attempting to complete the requirements for a 2,000 miler.

I'd be curious to hear from actual section hikers.Well, that knocks me outta the box, I've no intention what so ever to hike the entire trail complete. just certain sections.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2014, 23:41
Well, that knocks me outta the box, I've no intention what so ever to hike the entire trail complete. just certain sections.

And there is not a thing in the world wrong with that.

Then again you wouldn't attemp to answer the OP's question of which direction you were doing your section hikes.

rocketsocks
03-01-2014, 00:14
And there is not a thing in the world wrong with that.

Then again you wouldn't attemp to answer the OP's question of which direction you were doing your section hikes.
I guess only if the OP question was re-worded.

In which direction Nobo or Sobo do you prefer to hike a section?

Semantics??? I just don't know, seriously, gotta think on this one.

illabelle
03-01-2014, 06:36
We've completed almost 700 miles over 3.5 years. Impressive to non-hikers, not so much on WB. We have a plan to finish in 2019 - but that is contingent on our physical ability (and determination). We skip around from state to state, north to south, NOBO to SOBO, enjoying the variety of terrain and season.

Starchild
03-01-2014, 08:07
When I was a section hiker I normally preferred to go counter flow, this way I could meet more of the thru hikers.

But terrain (wanting to go uphill over downhill in the steeps), road access and travel times to parking areas, and car spotting including leapfrogging, and key exchanges had a big part in that as well.

Another Kevin
03-01-2014, 11:40
I've no real preference here, but a lot of the time on the AT, going SOBO puts the wind in your face and the Sun in your eyes, so even a lot of section hikers prefer going NOBO.

Sometimes for a particular stretch of trail, I'll pick a direction based on specific conditions. I prefer taking rock scrambles upward rather than downward, so I'd have a preference for doing Moosilauke, or the Catskill sections of the NY Long Path, SOBO (although they're beautiful in either direction!). I've hiked a few times with a guy with the exact opposite preference, he'd rather take the steep stuff down than up. It takes all kinds.

The correct direction to start a section hike is away from the highway. :)

tiptoe
03-01-2014, 19:20
I'm section-hiking outbound from my home state (CT), so most of my hike is southbound. It's a pattern that wasn't initially planned, but just developed, and I decided to stick with it. I prefer southbound for the reasons others have stated. You meet more people that way, and you don't hike with thrus and thru cliques. Also, nearly all thrus hike faster than I do, and it gets discouraging to be passed all the time. I do like meeting thrus and usually time my hikes so I meet a good number of people, both for the conversations and for safety.

earlyriser26
03-01-2014, 20:58

1,482 and counting kind of says it

WingedMonkey
03-01-2014, 21:02
1,482 and counting kind of says it

Seems to be the common thread among section hikers going for the goal.

They know what they have done down to the mile, and what's still ahead.

;)

joshuasdad
03-02-2014, 10:09
I greatly prefer SOBO. One reason that hasn't been mentioned is light conditions at the end of a long day. If you are hiking SOBO you have a better chance of having better light, seeing a beautiful sunset, and not going under headlamp as long if ending at a car parked at a road crossing. If hiking NOBO, you are facing north/east, and the sun will likely be behind the mountain you are hiking down.

rafe
03-02-2014, 10:53
Interesting responses, pretty much all over the map.

Now that I think on it, I'd forgotten about three sobos I met in northern VA. Two retired gents, I think just out for the week, and a young lad heading for... he didn't really know, he was just starting out. I don't think he was a runaway, too clean cut and well-equipped.

Partly I wanted to know if "Ga->Me" still held sway for section hikers. It might do so for emotional/traditional reasons, if not for any practical reason.

As others have mentioned, I (sometimes) enjoy meeting nobo thrus and have arranged my hikes accordingly. In 1990 it was to meet folks that I'd hiked with earlier that year, down south.

I have never been passed by sobos on two separate passes thru the hundred-mile wilderness. I find this a bit weird, because I am not a fast hiker. So still scratching my head on how to account for the apparent lack of long-distance sobos, overall. It seems to me they might be as rare among section hikers as they are among thrus.

JansportD2
03-02-2014, 16:29

I've hiked from Mohican Outdoor Center NJ to Pearisburg, VA - about 670 miles. By the time I finish I'll be ready to retire and have time for a thru-hike.

I almost always hike SOBO probably because I hike solo but like to see a lot of people on the trail.