PDA

View Full Version : Crocs v's Vivobarefoot / Merrell Sonics / Trail runners

Fletchlives1234
02-27-2014, 05:30
How do..

I have been reading a load of stuff about crocs weighing an absolute tonne. A lot of peeps are banging on about trail shoes or soemthing like Vivobarefoot / Merrell Sonics for stream crossing and camp use.
I know the later are super lightweight and are fast drying, but can they compete with the crocs in respect to fast drying. I like the idea of the crocs with a quick wipe the are bone dry and will ensure that my merino smartwool heavy weight socks are kept dry. Even after sepending the day crossing streams etc.

I have read that peeps are sourcing lightweight copycat versions of crocs. Is anyone aware of anywehere in the UK where I can get hold of some of these?

Fletchlives

bfayer
02-27-2014, 07:34
I have the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure and they dry just like Crocs.

Fletchlives1234
02-27-2014, 08:03
Hmmmmm. Interesting. Looks like these babies are made of of rubber / polymer like the crocs, but come with a removable inner. I suspect you would recommend removing the inner before stream crossings etc.

Can you easily slip em on with thick merino camp socks on?

Any idea of the product weight. I have had a look at http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/ultra-mens?colour=Royal Blue. I am a size 10 Uk size. I think that is a 10.5 US.

Fletchlives

bfayer
02-27-2014, 08:10
Hmmmmm. Interesting. Looks like these babies are made of of rubber / polymer like the crocs, but come with a removable inner. I suspect you would recommend removing the inner before stream crossings etc.

Any idea of the product weight. I have had a look at http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/ultra-mens?colour=Royal Blue. I am a size 10 Uk size. I think that is a 10.5 US.

Fletchlives

Those are the Ultra not the Ultra Pure. I don't see the Ultra Pure on their site right now, but they are just the Ultra without the liner.

For camp/water crossing shoes you don't need the liner anyway.

urbansix
02-27-2014, 08:38
For me, the area where crocs compete with the likes of Vivobarefoot is in price. Walmart brand crocs can be had for <$10 to Vivo's $85. Well worth the extra 6oz, IMO. Also, easy no-hands on/off clog shape.

Schnitzel
02-27-2014, 08:49
If one is interested in Vivobarefoot, it's a good idea to periodically check on Amazon - sometimes they offer old colors/odd sizes for cheap - I got a pair of weird raspberry colored Vivos for $20 a few months ago.

bfayer
02-27-2014, 08:59
For me, the area where crocs compete with the likes of Vivobarefoot is in price. Walmart brand crocs can be had for <$10 to Vivo's $85. Well worth the extra 6oz, IMO. Also, easy no-hands on/off clog shape.

Mens Ultra Pure 29.95

http://www.leftlanesports.com/product.aspx?p=VBF01350&a=GoogleBase&gclid=CIn2uKSs7LwCFSzNOgod8kQAVg

There is no quality comparison between Chinese knockoff Crocs and Vivobarefoot. You can buy Chinese knockoff anything for a bargain basement price, if you are willing to put up with bargain basement quality.

q-tip
02-27-2014, 10:22
Saw the Vibro Ultra Pure on Amazon yesterday for $37.50. My next purchase.....

CalebJ
02-27-2014, 10:27
What about the Sensori Venture (xeroshoes.com/shop/feeltrue-products/sensori-venture-mens-barefoot-sandals/)?
Not sure on total weight. I've read 5.4 ounces but that may be per shoe? In any case, they look very comfortable and if you're willing to carry a pair of 'camp shoes' they might be a great option. I've been considering picking up a pair to see how they do as hiking shoes.

fredmugs
02-27-2014, 14:48
Saw the Vibro Ultra Pure on Amazon yesterday for $37.50. My next purchase.....

I just searched for "Vibro" instead of "Vivo" Completely different line of products. :)

bamboo bob
02-27-2014, 17:58
Back when I wore Scarpa leather boots camp shoes were very welcome. Typically old "tennis" shoes. Now with my trail runners I don't see any need to carry crocs or anything else. I've hiked some trails in sandals and that worked too.

Dogwood
02-27-2014, 18:08
Mens Ultra Pure 29.95

http://www.leftlanesports.com/product.aspx?p=VBF01350&a=GoogleBase&gclid=CIn2uKSs7LwCFSzNOgod8kQAVg

There is no quality comparison between Chinese knockoff Crocs and Vivobarefoot. You can buy Chinese knockoff anything for a bargain basement price, if you are willing to put up with bargain basement quality.

110 grams(about 3.6 oz) size 42 European(that's size 11 1/2 American) for $30. Not bad at all OVERALL for camp, beach, boating, etc shoes.

urbansix
02-27-2014, 18:14
Mens Ultra Pure 29.95

Perfectly willing. Current pair is pushing 8 years. Haven't broken yet. Also just scored a clearance lightweight down jacket for $20 to try out. :-)

Dogwood
02-27-2014, 18:15
Sorry - 100 grams is 3.6 ozs.

"You can buy Chinese knockoff anything for a bargain basement price, if you are willing to put up with bargain basement quality."

I couldn't agree more with your above statement Bfayer. It seems the world attitude that ALL Americans will buy anything including the cheapest AND poorest quality merchandise is incorrect. Biggest purveyor of that mistaken idea is the tag team duo of $$$Mart and China.

Fletchlives1234
02-27-2014, 18:28
Thanks for all the good advice. I think I am gonna run with the Vivobarefoot Ultra / Ultra pures. Just waiting for the guys at Vivobarrefoot to report back with weights for size 10 UK size in both. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2?

bfayer
02-27-2014, 19:31
Thanks for all the good advice. I think I am gonna run with the Vivobarefoot Ultra / Ultra pures. Just waiting for the guys at Vivobarrefoot to report back with weights for size 10 UK size in both. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2?

Size 44, 10 UK, Ultra Pure:

msupple
02-27-2014, 19:41

Fletchlives

Yes....I'm wearing a pair right now with mid weight hiking socks....plenty of room but can easily be tightened.

pafarmboy
02-27-2014, 20:14
+1 Vivo http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ultra-mens?colour=Black/Whit (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ultra-mens?colour=Black/White)e I wear a size 9. With the tongue cut out and the plastic tightener removed (not needed anyway) mine weigh in at 6.7 ounces total for both shoes. Got em for under 40 bucks but can't recall where.

Fletchlives1234
02-28-2014, 05:20
Loving your work. I suspect we are talking in ounces.

bfayer
02-28-2014, 07:34
Loving your work. I suspect we are talking in ounces.

The scale on my picture is set to Ounces, that would be ~110 grams.

Sno66nj
02-28-2014, 14:35
Just got a pair of vivo's for 25.00 + 8.00 shipping
https://www.theclymb.com/show-product/96247?f=mi

Astro
02-28-2014, 22:16
Just got a pair of vivo's for 25.00 + 8.00 shipping
https://www.theclymb.com/show-product/96247?f=mi

Got my second pair from 6pm.com for $16.70 a few weeks ago. Sure I have another summer's wear out of my current ones, but could not pass up that deal (no tax, no shipping).

Wilson2016
03-01-2014, 04:12
I don't know what I'm going to do, but I do know I don't like crocks. I've crossed streams with them and they move out from under my feet in way that makes me insecure.

bfayer
03-01-2014, 08:32
I don't know what I'm going to do, but I do know I don't like crocks. I've crossed streams with them and they move out from under my feet in way that makes me insecure.

That was one of the reasons I got the Vivos.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

A/B
03-01-2014, 16:46
I like my Crocs (size 11), but they are a bit heavy so decided to try the Vivo's, which just came in today. I have a wide foot, but the Vivo's fit just fine. I wear a size 11 4E, and the 45 European/ 11 1/2 fit perfectly. I save 5 ounces on the pair, so will hike with the Vivo's. Both are comfortable; the Crocs have a lot more sole to them and more cushioning. The Vivo's are minimalist runners, and even state in the box that, when used for running, to expect them to break down in about 250 miles. For camp use, or around town, they seem a great product.
Vivobarefoot 4.4oz with tongue, size 11.5 or 45 Euro

Croc 6.9 oz size 11

jeffmeh
03-02-2014, 20:55
I love the Vivos, and bought a second pair last summer because I had just about worn through the sole of the first one. Just don't try to walk over a mowed field of what must have contained thorn bushes, lol. I did get a few punctures and could feel it, but the punctures were so tiny that you really couldn't see them, and I didn't notice any compromise when walking through wet parking lots and the like.

urbansix
03-06-2014, 11:36
The pricing on the Vivos seem to keep getting better. Will have to consider for my next pair! ... When my crocs break. ;-)

turtle fast
03-06-2014, 12:21
Was thinking the same as urbansix...when the Crocks go look to Vivos. Though (the thorn issue I had not thought of) I look to my camp shoes to serve as emergency footwear should my boots blowout and I have hiked in Crocks with no problems.

Hot Flash
03-06-2014, 13:03
Not only are crocs heavy and butt-ugly, but since they're a clog shape your heel can easily slip sideways off of them in rocky streambeds. That hurts, and is a quick recipe for foot and ankle injuries

Crocs should stay where they belong -- on fat celebrity chefs or little old ladies working in gardens.

Big Dawg
03-07-2014, 02:31
Got my second pair from 6pm.com for $16.70 a few weeks ago. Sure I have another summer's wear out of my current ones, but could not pass up that deal (no tax, no shipping).

Thanks,, I just scored some vivo ultra pure's from 6pm.com a few days ago for $36. Size seems to effect price, from teens to $80,,,, so I feel fortunate mine was only $36.

Demeter
03-13-2014, 02:46
Just don't try to walk over a mowed field of what must have contained thorn bushes, lol. I did get a few punctures and could feel it, but the punctures were so tiny that you really couldn't see them, and I didn't notice any compromise when walking through wet parking lots and the like.

I love my Vivo's, too, but almost seriously punctured my foot when I walked over some mowed bamboo stalks. Fortunately the stalk slid between my toes, so only my shoe ended up injured :)

I think a big part of the Vivo's weight savings over crocs are the thickness of the the sole. That said, I would much rather cross a stream in Vivo's; as an earlier poster mentioned, the crocs slide around way too much.

SunnyWalker
03-13-2014, 12:07
Fletch: If you are near Bury St. Edmunds there is the UK version of Wal-Mart there. Try it and see if they have them. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the UK version of Wal-Mart but it is on the main street off of the hwy outside of town. Hope that helps.