PDA

View Full Version : Ramen Recipes

Kraken Skullz
02-27-2014, 10:37
Ok folks, I am looking for some recipes to spice up and "fancy up" your good old ramen noodles.

FYI I know that I can put tuna or canned chicken in my ramen. Bust out the trail chef inside of you and tell us about some secret recipes for trail ramen.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2014, 10:38
add ramps and tabasco sauce

Slo-go'en
02-27-2014, 10:42
Throw away the spice pack and use a hot chocolate package instead. Makes a great breakfast on a cold morning :)

Kraken Skullz
02-27-2014, 10:59
add ramps and tabasco sauce

Maybe I am not up to date on the lingo but what are "ramps"?

Foresight
02-27-2014, 11:06
Wild onions

Lone Wolf
02-27-2014, 11:16
Maybe I am not up to date on the lingo but what are "ramps"?

wild leeks https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-449.html

hikerboy57
02-27-2014, 11:17
nido and pre cooked microwave bacon

sent from a samsung galaxy far far away

CalebJ
02-27-2014, 11:31
This pad thai (http://sticksblog.com/2012/05/06/meal-time-fastpack-pad-thai-w-spiced-olive-oil/) ramen recipe is really good.

FarmerChef
02-27-2014, 11:33
You can add peanut butter and a soy packet in addition to a bit of chicken bullion for a Thai style treat. Or bring some extra dried veggies and throw them in to really beef it up. Crumble it up and sprinkle it on top of something else you're eating like mac and cheese, tuna helper, mashed potatoes. Add sour cream powder to beef bouillon and throw in some dried ground beef or TVP for stroganoff.

RedBeerd
02-27-2014, 11:51
I always ditched the packet and added in my own dehydrated veggies, pre cooked bacon, then crack one or two eggs into. delicious.

Kraken Skullz
02-27-2014, 11:53
Mmm. Getting good stuff so far!

Bencape4
02-27-2014, 11:56
i often split the brick like a sandwhich and just put peanut butter and nutella in it. long lasting sandwhich!
also, theres a lot of seasoning packets used to make chilli and other things like that, soup mixes, stir fry, etc. those are all good replacements to the one that comes in it.

CarlZ993
02-27-2014, 12:13
Ramen (w/o spice packet), Italian Spice, & pepperoni. Add Parmesan cheese & maybe some olive oil. Pizza Ramen.

Drybones
02-27-2014, 12:19
Packet of mushroom grave (or any of many packets you find in this store section), chicken, tuna, rice, tobasco (improves the taste of any thing)...going to try the jalopeno & olive oil tuna packets this week end that someone clued us in on.

slbirdnerd
02-27-2014, 12:48
Ramen (w/o spice packet), Italian Spice, & pepperoni. Add Parmesan cheese & maybe some olive oil. Pizza Ramen.

I do the same thing but with Barilla Pasta Plus angel hair. Freezer bag the pasta for 15 minutes, drain, add the stuff you mentioned. Better than Ramen.

Just Bill
02-27-2014, 12:49
Egg drop ramen-
Heat the water and mix a little dehydrated egg powder- don't add the noodles.
when the water is boiling give it a steady stir and drizzle in the egg mix, pour a little soup into the egg cup to get it all out and kill the heat.
Drop in the noodles and let stand until they soften.

I prefer Chipotle flakes, oregeno, and dill (in the egg) for this one. Dried mushrooms and green onions also round it out quite nicely.

General recipie- I use three cups water, add spices, veggies, or other filler to make 4 cups worth of soup. Going heavy on the spice will fill in the flavor of the watered down broth.

I also make a green mix by dehydrating Spinach, Kale, Spring mix or whatever greens I have. Dry and break it up like any other seasoning and add a 1/4 to any meal to get your veggies. 1/4 dried and crushed is like eating a cup or two of fresh and leafy.

Simon and Garfunkel-
Ramen, 1/4 cup green mix, three cups water, and the ol Simon and Garfunkel (Parseley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) makes a very good veggie combo.
If you have a little spam, brown it a bit in the pan with the spices (a minute or two) and add the rest for a bit richer flavor than just dropping it in.

CarlZ993
02-27-2014, 14:31
I do the same thing but with Barilla Pasta Plus angel hair. Freezer bag the pasta for 15 minutes, drain, add the stuff you mentioned. Better than Ramen.
Sounds good. I'm sure your noodles taste better than the cheaper ramen noodles. But, as an added bonus, I get two days of RDA of salt in the ramen noodles. :)

Drybones
02-27-2014, 15:12
I bought a packet of instant 4-cheese sauce I'm trying this week end, cheesy noodles sounds like it might be a nice change.

Mrs Baggins
02-27-2014, 15:59
I toss in sliced up green onions, diced cooked chicken, a dollop of peanut butter, garlic powder, soy sauce, and siracha sauce. I like to use chicken broth instead of water.

AngelEyez
02-27-2014, 16:44
ramen oatmeal and melted chocolate <kinda like a no bake cookie> better if u have time for the chocolate to get hard again but yuummie either way. if lucky use them to top salad or throw in ur soup raw for added crunch. use ur imagination go wild :banana http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=101%20uses%20for%20ramen%20noodles

HikerMom58
02-27-2014, 17:05
Nice thread! I'm taking notes! :D

FarmerChef
02-27-2014, 17:08
Oh how I would love to see a ramen noodle recipe cookoff at Trail Days, complete with judges. What a hoot that would be and a bunch of great recipes too!

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2014, 17:16
Whether it's raman noodle or rice or lentils, or whatever... I mix dehydrated foodstuff and mix in

Things, like Beef/Chicken Jerky, broccoli, carrots, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, celery... and always add some type of seasoning.

AngelEyez
02-27-2014, 18:01
agreed or as ingredient option in a hiker cook off see who comes up with the most inventive thing using normal found trail foods as ingredients provided.

Drybones
02-27-2014, 18:27
Oh how I would love to see a ramen noodle recipe cookoff at Trail Days, complete with judges. What a hoot that would be and a bunch of great recipes too!

That'd be a real winner.

Drybones
02-27-2014, 18:29
I take a lot of dehydrated stuff like hamburger with taco seasoning, can tuna, any meat the first week, after that you take what you can find.

tarditi
02-27-2014, 19:49
Ditch the spice packet - tear up some beef jerky and cook with the ramen, add pepper sauce to it and enjoy.

Foresight
02-27-2014, 20:12
Dried basil, olive oil and garlic powder.....trail pesto.

fiddlehead
02-27-2014, 20:41
Add powdered coconut cream (or milk if you can't find the cream), and some yellow (Indian) curry powder along with some dehydrated broccoli and onions and a small handful of dehydrated hamburger and you've got yourself some kaeng lueng or yellow curry with beef.
Or, add what you like, although I'd skip the cheese, it does not go so good with Asian foods and the coconut cream is going to make this into a southern curry taste.

In Asian grocery stores, you can find some much better selections of ramen noodles.
Some have 2 and 3 flavor packets inside, complete with oils etc.

Eggs is another good thing to add if you have them. (of course most of us don't while backpacking, but it's not unheard of)

Nodust
02-27-2014, 21:47
Mama noodles are good. I like to add soy sauce, jalapeņo and chili peppers. Also dried onions and dried shrimp.

Julio Garcia
02-27-2014, 22:22
I've added olive oil and spanish chorizo and try to let it stand as long as possible. Turkey jerky works good too.

Grinder
02-28-2014, 14:31
Add 1/2 cup of Bear Creek Cheddar Broccoli Soup mix. I use hot and spicy ramen from Winn Dixie. Otherwise I'd leave the seasoning packet out.

Kraken Skullz
03-01-2014, 10:36
Never thought of using the soup mix. The broccoli and cheddar one is my favorite. I bet that would be delish.

Sacchoromyces
03-02-2014, 13:38
I'll 2nd the versions that add jerked meats (torn up), and nut butters/ethnic seasonings. The packets included in the kit are a lethal mix if eaten regularly. They dehydrate the **** outta me too.

Dried veggies and any wild foods found along the trail (the Roman Legions lived on wild foods and rice/lentils/bulgur) are excellent. Especially if one is incredibly well versed in wild mushrooms (abide local laws and beware of 'shroom hunters).

Del Q
03-02-2014, 18:24
Two years ago I bought 8-10 different foods and soaked them separately in water for 4-5 hours each. Ramen noodles with spices from home was great. Example, cous cous was awful.

I do not cook anymore unless someone has a fire going, I soak the ramen noodles for 4 or more hours in a zip loc bag with spices from home. 2nd bag around it. HUGE supply of noodles, they are fried so they come already cooked, semi warm from being in my pack, eat immediately.

jpassehl
03-08-2014, 13:27
I use the noodles and mix in curry powder, chili powder, cumin, and ginger for flavor. I then add in pineapple and cashews. This also works with rice.

sfdoc
03-08-2014, 13:53
Amazon has a Ramen cookbook. I've ordered it but haven't used. However, from what I saw of the book on the Amazon website, it looks like it could be helpful.

12trysomething
03-08-2014, 22:00
Add 1/2 cup of Bear Creek Cheddar Broccoli Soup mix. I use hot and spicy ramen from Winn Dixie. Otherwise I'd leave the seasoning packet out.

I tried this today - amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Up next to try will be the pizza ramen.

GirlfromOZ
03-09-2014, 02:31
I'm not sure if it's widely available in the states but it would be worth looking for the Indomie migoreng brand of ramen. They come with 5 sachets one of honey soy, one chilli, one sesame oil, one Fried onion bits and one with the powder.... Delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BEBMJX0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipsissewa
03-09-2014, 08:33
I'm not sure if it's widely available in the states but it would be worth looking for the Indomie migoreng brand of ramen. They come with 5 sachets one of honey soy, one chilli, one sesame oil, one Fried onion bits and one with the powder.... Delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BEBMJX0

Yes, these can be ordered on line. Sorry, I don't know anything about asian cuisine. Are you supposed to use all the sachets at the same time or pick one? Also, what flavor do you like best? I see chicken, beef, onion/chicken, soto mie (?), satay (?)...

GirlfromOZ
03-09-2014, 11:06
Use all the sachets at once (Drain the water first) I don't use all of my chilli sachet, but I'm a bit weak when it comes to spice.

The flavour to get is called "migoreng" the brand is "indomie". The other flavours I haven't tried but I've pretty much lived off the Migoreng while broke and I still enjoy it.

q-tip
03-09-2014, 11:29
2 oz. TVP (no flavor but it gets me the protein), 1/2 packet brown gravy (any), 1 oz. olive oil, not super flavorful, but I get a pretty potent nutritional meal. I have also used tomato paste and parmasan cheese. I also found, and I sure cannot quantify this, but if I eat 2 packets of Ramen, I feel pretty sluggish the next morning. Go figure.