PDA

View Full Version : General Questions

Riddick
09-11-2005, 22:59
Well, I've recently got back into hiking and have been going on some 5+ mile hikes to gear up for a 2 night hike in GSMNP mid Oct. I've carried 30lbs and 35lbs to prep for it. I'm aiming for 25lbs on the 2 nighter, we'll see how I do with that goal. As I'm preparing and getting my gear up and going (not lightweight as you can tell) I've come up with a few questions.

I've got an alcohol stove and love it. Simplicity at its best. I've used it a couple of times to get used to it and I'm wondering is it possible to add fuel to a hot stove after it has burned out of fuel or will it auto-ignite? Just curious, doubt I'll run into that since I'll try to cook stuff that only requires you to add boiling water or to boil for only 5 mins or so.

Also, I want to get some insulation and am wondering what some people use. I've seen Duofold, not expensive at all. A friend of mine the other day spent about $25-$30 for each piece top and bottom. Can't recall the brand, but is there that much difference in performance?

I also used hiking poles for the first time. Wow. It was very awkward at first, but I found they saved me from a few slips/trips down the trail. For general hiking I'll leave them at home probably, but for the ups and downs they're great.

Thanks in advance for the responses...
Riddick

eric_plano
09-12-2005, 00:19
Hello Riddick,

1. For the alcohol stove you really just need to make sure the flame is out which can be fun in the sun since you cant see the flame. I usually poke a twig down in it to be sure. As long as the flame is out I have refilled with no problems.

2. I carried a pair of Midweight and Heavy Weight Duofold from Springer to Clingman's this year and they were great. I wont be taking the hvy wts. on my '06 attempt though. The heavy weight is only good for camp and since I got a Montbell down jacket I don't think Ill need them (they weigh too much also). I payed 20$ a piece for all 4 pieces through Campmor.com .

3. Lastly, I love my Leki's :) I feel like a quadraped with them.

C-Stepper
09-12-2005, 07:57
For the alcohol stove, just wave your hand 6 inches or so from the top...also, you can hear it burning if it is quiet at your camp, and the sudden silence when you run out of alcohol.

I believe you are talking about a base layer when you are refering to the Duofold? I use merino wools that I got on closeout at Campmor.com last spring for nearly nothing, but those deals are "unlikely" this time of year. Mine are midweight, which work for me, and I only use them in camp to change into something dry. For you "insulation layer" you'll want something more substantial, such as a fleece, synthetic, or down jacket/sweater.

I love hiking poles, too...with my bad right knee, I would not backpack if there weren't poles.:clap

titanium_hiker
09-12-2005, 08:14
remember poles can be a great dual use item when used to prop up shelter...

alcohol- everyone I know has a horrific incident branded on their minds... this family had a fondue kit, (alky) and he refilled it when it was still going- FWOOSH! horrible burns to the wife... she had to be evacuated to the states for treatment, thankfully she's ok now.
Ditto on the noise, twig (or used match, if you use matches) and sight, I also can smell a change when it is about to go out.

good luck on your return to hiking!

titanium

papa john
09-12-2005, 08:48
Check www.sierratradingpost.com for good prices on the longjohns. They are having a clearance sale.

Blue Jay
09-12-2005, 11:24
For general hiking I'll leave them at home probably, but for the ups and downs they're great.

Thanks in advance for the responses...
Riddick

I'd take one pole or a stick, unless you like puncture wounds. They don't call it the Appalachian Dog Trail for nothing.

Seeker
09-12-2005, 13:12
an alcohol stove will also make a low-pitched popping sound as it gets low on fuel... TH-never knew there was a detectable smell, but i'll try to find it next time i'm out... thanks...

i find that a staff is useful while hiking... my knees aren't what they used to be, and it sure helps to have something to lean on coming down a steep grade. mine's just an elm sapling, about 5' long, that i cut when i was about 12 or 13, for boy scouts... still with me... i found an old aluminum pipe, threaded on the inside, that i screwed the end into, and it keeps it from wearing down. with a clove hitch, i can tie up one end of my hammock's tarp, to keep it above eye level if i need to... also useful for balancing on rocks while crossing streams, or fending off dogs... i prefer it to a set of poles because it was free, is longer, and seems more natural to me... might be a bit heavier too, though i usually only carry it when in hilly country (not much of that locally).