PDA

View Full Version : Horn Mountain Fire Tower

marti038
02-27-2014, 11:18
Anybody know if hikers are allowed to climb to the top of Horn Mountain Fire Tower or if there are signs that declare restricted access?

I'm planning on hiking this section soon and wasn't sure if it would be a waste of time to walk up to the tower.

marti038
02-27-2014, 11:24
While we're talking about this area, where is the CCC pavilion here? I can't see it on google earth anywhere and from what I've read many people walk past it without realizing it.

Is it the small structure next to the fire tower?

atmilkman
02-27-2014, 11:34
While we're talking about this area, where is the CCC pavilion here? I can't see it on google earth anywhere and from what I've read many people walk past it without realizing it.

Is it the small structure next to the fire tower?
Anytime I've ever been there the tower was always locked. Pavilion is very close to it.

Dogwood
02-27-2014, 13:51
See the chain link fence and barbed wire on top of the fence in the background with the shelter in the forground. The gate was locked when I was there. The barbed wire is noticeably bent over and a few pieces missing where some have climbed over the fence though near the gate. Forest Service has removed the bottom stair steps so you'd have to climb about 12 ft of the steel tower structure to get to the remaining steps. One could take the remaining steps to the top of the tower. Notice this picture. The floor of the tower room has been removed. You'd get the 360* panoramic views but that's it. It's a pretty neat spot in that it must have been more used as it was a developed picnic spot(old tables, car pul outs/flat camping spots, privies, bamboo grove, etc

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=219408

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/images/1section9_156.jpg

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/images/1section9_142.jpg

blisterbob
02-27-2014, 13:55
The tower has a fence around it but ramshakle enough that I saw 3 young locals squeeze through it and climb the
even more ramshakle tower and I don't think any were brave enough to go all the way to the top.
The ccc picnic pavillion is about 10' X 12' open on the sides and was nicely restored.
My wife and I spent the night there in 2012 and the view of lights from Sylacauga and area are great.

Dogwood
02-27-2014, 13:59
I can't say 100% if I saw No Trespassing signs for climbing the tower but it's obvious with all that the FS Service has done to prevent that they don't want people to climb the tower.

Notice the gal of water(partially obscured) someone left under the picnic shelter. I've hear by rumor(I didn't look for it), there is a very intermittent seep some where in the area. From the three different individuals who told me about it(all Alabama natives) it sounds like it's definitely not something to count on as a water source.

marti038
02-27-2014, 14:43
Thanks for the info and the pics. I have seen many pictures of the CCC shelter, but this is the first with the tower in the background.

I doubt I'll care enough to try and climb the tower given the amount of trouble and questionable legality.

ednotmilkman
02-28-2014, 03:04
you will miss the whole area if you are just hiking along and not knowing where to detour west, and go uphill on the power line cut, off the Pinhoti because the side trail has not been blazed in a while and there is no sign, unless I totally missed that too.

marti038
02-28-2014, 09:56
you will miss the whole area if you are just hiking along and not knowing where to detour west, and go uphill on the power line cut, off the Pinhoti because the side trail has not been blazed in a while and there is no sign, unless I totally missed that too.

Thanks. I was assuming there would be a well blazed side trail, but I was going to watch for the power line cut as my last landmark before going too far.

flemdawg1
02-28-2014, 12:52
Or you could go on past the powerline cut to where the trail goes near the road, by the pine thicket. and hike the road south to the gate. Either way will get you there.

OwenM
03-04-2014, 13:29
Haven't been there since fall 2012, but the trail going up to the tower was visible, and the power line cut wasn't horribly overgrown, so both ways worked.
Pic of the tower:
http://imageshack.us/a/img203/5898/dscn2734a.jpg

ednotmilkman
03-05-2014, 09:05
26211 here is another view of the pavillion. We had just finished mowing and running the weedeater in the rain.

marti038
03-10-2014, 15:11
My brother and I hiked this section over the weekend and didn't have any trouble getting to the tower/CCC shelter. Well, that's not entirely true. We foolishly took a 90 degree path and bushwacked to the top of Horn Mtn. It was extremely steep and very exhausting. If we had kept walking to the power line cut we would have arrived in much better form.

For future readers, to avoid confusion, the power line cut is the trail to the summit of Horn Mtn. On some maps and guides I've seen the two are referred to separately which can leave room confusion. Just follow the powerlines to the top of the hill and they will lead you to a side trail near the top which dumps you out behind the CCC shelter. It’s easier to spot when the trees and bushes are all naked. In the summer I can see why you would just blow right by.