PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Label Changes

johnnyjohnson2043
02-28-2014, 09:09
Just thought I'd post this for anyone else that might be interested.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/27/health/nutrition-labels-changes/

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 09:25
I'm a little suspicious how effective the first one will be. People who don't look at nutritional info aren't going to start just because the letters and numbers have been rearranged in that little black box.

The second one... seriously? Who smokes anymore? Kids sure don't. They're more likely to smoke weed than cigarettes. That's as pointless as click it or ticket campaigns.

(So I don't sound like a complainer.) Everything else sounds awesome at face value. ^_^

johnnyjohnson2043
02-28-2014, 09:29
Haha! I didn't even look at the other pictures. I was just posting for the article. You're right, though. I don't think most people will even look at the nutrition label any differently than they already do.

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 09:30
Yeah, just make it easier for the people who already do. O.o

Schnitzel
02-28-2014, 09:34
I'm a little suspicious how effective the first one will be. People who don't look at nutritional info aren't going to start just because the letters and numbers have been rearranged in that little black box.

The second one... seriously? Who smokes anymore? Kids sure don't. They're more likely to smoke weed than cigarettes. That's as pointless as click it or ticket campaigns.

(So I don't sound like a complainer.) Everything else sounds awesome at face value. ^_^

Sadly, Sierra, a lot of kids DO smoke these days - I think it depends on your region. Around here, it's apparently still considered "cool" or "edgy" for kids to start smoking. Sigh. I think that the only thing that might keep them from doing it is to tax the hell out of cigarettes so they can't afford to start. . . although that didn't seem to work here in Jersey, either.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-28-2014, 09:43
Agree with you both. If they don't bother looking now, that won't magically make them start. My take on it is if they are making the food companies go through all this then why not have them add about GMO's. One of the industry's push against doing that is the expense of reworking their packaging. Should have them do it at the same time - problem solved! That is as much as I am going to say after reading the article. The FDA is a sham with all the chemical crap they allow in food sold in the US that other countries seem to be allow to keep out. Okay, okay - done :-)

bfayer
02-28-2014, 09:43
About the only change they are making that makes any difference is the serving size, that part makes sense and should have been done years ago.

The rest in my opinion is just repackaging and putting a new and improved sticker on it. The average person is not going to give a rats behind about the other changes and none of them are going to make America a healthier country.

Coffee
02-28-2014, 09:55
People ignore the nagging calorie signs appearing on fast food menu boards and will no doubt ignore new labels. The ironic thing is that most people wouldn't have to pay so much attention to caloric intake if they simply took the time to exercise for 30 to 60 minutes every day.

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 10:00
Serving sizes are bunk. It's all made up.

They should do everything by weight and by cup.

Spinach has x amount of calories per cup, carrots have y amount of calories per cup.

Lean beef has x amount of protein per 6oz, salmon has y amount of protein per 6oz.

Coffee
02-28-2014, 10:09
Serving sizes are bunk. It's all made up.

I was thinking about this the other day reading the information on ice cream. I'd like to meet anyone who eats half a cup of ice cream (the serving size).

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 10:15
A SCOOP is a cup!

At least my scoops are..... ;)

Tuckahoe
02-28-2014, 10:31
Well when ice cream is sold a as 1.75 quarts or half gallons 1/2 cup serving size does make sense. It the products that are clearly single serving items where the serving size is a fraction of that, that is silly.

I will also say serving sizes cannot always be based on just weight alone. If I buy a 16oz package of smoked sausage in which there are 5 sausages, are there 5 servings? Or are there 8 2oz servings?

FarmerChef
02-28-2014, 10:33
Yeah, who eats a half cup. Well, when I was working really hard to lose weight I would measure it out. But the problem is confusing labels like pasta. Is that cooked or uncooked? What if my pasta arranges itself "fluffier" in my measuring cup than the lab or denser than the lab. Same thing with breakfast cereal. I agree with bfayer. Serving size should be based on weight not volume.

Biggest tip I can give to cutting calories? Use a smaller bowl, plate, cup and don't put processed food on it. Real food is so much more satisfying and filling, imo. I'll take a whole banana over sugary fried banana chips any day. :)

Tuckahoe
02-28-2014, 10:41
I would also say that if you are wondering who eats a 1/2 cup of ice cream (I do), it's not that the 1/2 cup is out of line, it's that someone's judgement of reasonable serving sizes needs to be calibrated again.

Coffee
02-28-2014, 10:43
I've measured out half a cup of ice cream before and it seems like less than what most ice cream shops sell as kiddie scoops. People who can eat that kind of serving have more self control than I do!

Tuckahoe
02-28-2014, 10:57
I've measured out half a cup of ice cream before and it seems like less than what most ice cream shops sell as kiddie scoops. People who can eat that kind of serving have more self control than I do!

And remember that what we now consider to be a kid's meal at McDonald's was at one time considered to be a reasonably portioned adult meal.

FarmerChef
02-28-2014, 10:59
And remember that what we now consider to be a kid's meal at McDonald's was at one time considered to be a reasonably portioned adult meal.

That's why I try to eat the kids meal whenever possible. The trick is that once you get used to smaller portions, it satisfies just like the bigger ones. As for that scoop of ice cream, it reminds me of those little ice cream tubs with the paper wrapped wooden spoon we got in elementary school when I was a kid. I'll bet that was a half cup and if you scooped verrrry carefully you could make it last forever. :D

lonehiker
02-28-2014, 11:07
Will cost food industry appx. 2 billion to implement. Good thing food costs aren't computed in inflation index......

burger
02-28-2014, 11:10
For thru-hikers, the most useful nutritional information would be the total amount of calories in the whole package. For pints of Ben and Jerry's, there's no way you're eating a part of that and saving the rest for tomorrow. For cookies and chips and things, having the total calories makes it way easier to figure out your resupply. If your goal is 4,000 calories a day, and you have a 3-day stretch to the next town, you need 12,000 calories. Just add up the totals on the packages and you're set!

As a side benefit, non-hikers might balk at buying the family sized thing of Oreos or whatever if they realize that all those servings add up to 10,000 calories!

johnnyjohnson2043
02-28-2014, 11:38
For thru-hikers, the most useful nutritional information would be the total amount of calories in the whole package. For pints of Ben and Jerry's, there's no way you're eating a part of that and saving the rest for tomorrow. For cookies and chips and things, having the total calories makes it way easier to figure out your resupply. If your goal is 4,000 calories a day, and you have a 3-day stretch to the next town, you need 12,000 calories. Just add up the totals on the packages and you're set!

As a side benefit, non-hikers might balk at buying the family sized thing of Oreos or whatever if they realize that all those servings add up to 10,000 calories!

Not that I don't agree with some of the other comments above but this is more what I was looking at. I've been looking at a lot of things in life from a thru-hiker's standpoint lately. How many "trail calories" are in a package, what is the weight per calorie ratio, etc.

Coffee
02-28-2014, 12:19

Yeah I know. I'd probably be mildly obese if I didn't exercise for an hour every day.

bamboo bob
02-28-2014, 12:23
"The second one... seriously? Who smokes anymore? Kids sure don't. They're more likely to smoke weed than cigarettes. That's as pointless as click it or ticket campaigns."

Who smokes? I LOT of young people on the AT smoke cigarettes. Many. Way more than I thought likely.

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 12:48
"The second one... seriously? Who smokes anymore? Kids sure don't. They're more likely to smoke weed than cigarettes. That's as pointless as click it or ticket campaigns."

Who smokes? I LOT of young people on the AT smoke cigarettes. Many. Way more than I thought likely.
And every single one of them knows and has known cigarettes are bad for them. They don't need a poster saying so.

(But the numbers are way down on smoking. Your observation is probably the result of several factors. 1) Maybe observational bias 2) the prevalence of men on the trail 3) the young men on the trail might be more likely to participate in risk taking behaviors 4) they are more likely to have come from higher smoking percentage states)

Then again... California doesn't really have a ton of smokers... we're more tokers. So what do I know... guess I have to move there to see it for myself.

Coffee
02-28-2014, 13:01
Smoking rates are higher in many southern states which could account for some of it. It is surprising, however, that people engaged in very physical activities would smoke cigarettes. I can't imagine smoking and trying to hike 20 miles per day!

FarmerChef
02-28-2014, 13:11
I've always marveled at this. Same thing for singers.

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 13:25
I super dislike it when guys smoke.

googlywoogly
02-28-2014, 14:01
Nothing makes my blood pressure go up higher than having to pick up some disgusting person's cigarette butt and haul it out of the wilderness for them. I will never understand how folks can go out in nature and proceed to trash it as if the entire world is their own personal ash tray. Same for the folks who toss them out of their car window as they drive down the street.

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 15:11
I can see the FDA was influenced by the American Dairy Association and USDA in coming up with these new labels.

The proposed labels would remove the "calories from fat" line you currently see on labels, focusing instead on total calories found in each serving.

Wrong answer. The cals from fat stat, as it is on the current label, is per serving. The manufacturer's serving size is currently on the label. It's easy enough to see both. Even with the following FDA statement the FDA is allowing the food companies to hide the amt of fat per serving in their products.

"Nutritionists have come to understand that the type of fat you're eating matters more than the calories from fat."

While it's true the type of fat one eats is important("good" fats verse "bad" fats) that's a narrow perspective and a flawed excuse to allow fat in a serving to be hidden.

The FDA isn't designing these new labels for long distance hikers many of whom don't care that 40% of their total daily caloric intake is achieved. The rest of the U.S. cares deeply though.

"As such, the breakdown of total fat vs. saturated and trans fat would remain."

That's good!

LOL. If you aren't a label reader under the current labeling system this isn't going to change that habit! Seems more like a rah rah for Michelle policy change that she can take credit for.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2014, 22:17
I just finished a half cup of ice creme, no big deal.

Oh yeah, I chopped up two Oreos into it. But only two.

:sun

Dogwood
03-01-2014, 00:24
I would also say..... someone's judgement of reasonable serving sizes needs to be calibrated again.

... what we now consider to be a kid's meal at McDonald's was at one time considered to be a reasonably portioned adult meal.

It's why many U.S. citizens traveling abroad complain about the portion sizes which are typically about 4 oz of meat(fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc) about the size of a deck of playing cards and substantially smaller overall. Many countries national diets also consist of fewer more expensive meat containing meals. It's not that the portion sizes are so small in places like Europe it's that U.S. citizens have become accustomed to eating a huge amount of food at a sitting AND it's showing up in the waistlines and health of our citizenry.

Dogwood
03-01-2014, 00:25
...and substantially smaller meals overall.

Wilson2016
03-01-2014, 04:24
If you are not planning to prepare your food before hand, then the new labeling will make it easier to find the high calories you are looking for at the local store. I quit smoking the first of this year so that I might be able to attempt a thru hike in 2016. What does smoking have to do with labeling the calories?

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2014, 09:27

hence a new trail of the occasional Butt.

fiddlehead
03-01-2014, 09:54
It's why many U.S. citizens traveling abroad complain about the portion sizes which are typically about 4 oz of meat(fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc) about the size of a deck of playing cards and substantially smaller overall. Many countries national diets also consist of fewer more expensive meat containing meals. It's not that the portion sizes are so small in places like Europe it's that U.S. citizens have become accustomed to eating a huge amount of food at a sitting AND it's showing up in the waistlines and health of our citizenry.

So true.
Living abroad and returning to the states ALWAYS shocks me about how big serving size is in the US.
But, that's a great thing for hikers of course.
I remember coming back from one of my first trips to Nepal, where I hiked for a month and a half.
I asked on the flight if I could have 2 meals (if they had any extra) and they gave me 2, each time (long flight)

I live in a touristy area with lots of Italian restaurants. Believe me, the pizza in all of these places is NOTHING like the pizza in America.
It is a very thin, crispy crust with barely any sauce, barely any cheese and if you ask for a topping like onion for example, there may be 3 or 4 tiny pieces spread around. I can eat a whole one.
In America, I'm good for 2 slices IF I'm pretty hungry (can eat a whole one near the end of a thru-hike though)

It's no wonder why Americans are so fat.
Limited healthy choices unless you cook for yourself using fresh ingredients.

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2014, 10:15
It's why many U.S. citizens traveling abroad complain about the portion sizes which are typically about 4 oz of meat(fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc) about the size of a deck of playing cards and substantially smaller overall. Many countries national diets also consist of fewer more expensive meat containing meals. It's not that the portion sizes are so small in places like Europe it's that U.S. citizens have become accustomed to eating a huge amount of food at a sitting AND it's showing up in the waistlines and health of our citizenry.I agree that U.S. citizens in general eat way too much and portion sizes can be (and should be) reduced.

However, your characterization of portion sizes, in general, is not what I've observed in my time overseas; maybe at some high-priced fancy resturants, but not in general.

Furthermore, the expanding waist lines across the world, including Europe, seems to counter your claim.

EU actions to fight obesity: http://ec.europa.eu/health/newsletter/114/newsletter_en.htm

The tax-loving nordic countries are fighting the battle and repealed a fat tax after just a year: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/business/global/fat-tax-in-denmark-is-repealed-after-criticism.html?_r=0

Mexico is now the fattest nation: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/9/mexico-surpasses-us-worlds-fattest-nation/

China fights obesity, including childhood obesity: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1079476/

Obesity quadruples in the developing world: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25576400

The list goes on....

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 11:41
If you are not planning to prepare your food before hand, then the new labeling will make it easier to find the high calories you are looking for at the local store. I quit smoking the first of this year so that I might be able to attempt a thru hike in 2016. What does smoking have to do with labeling the calories? The link was a slideshow and smoking was the second slide.

Limited healthy choices unless you cook for yourself using fresh ingredients.
Ding ding ding! This is what more people need to do! It's the broken window effect of food! People need to take pride in what they eat!

There's a couple factors that makes it easier to be fat. 1) Most American cities- compared to European cities- are built and organized for car use. Makes it easy to drive instead of walk to the store, restaurant, and friend's house. 2) Americans work more! (Except for the group that doesn't work, but there are other factors why they might be overweight.) Less time at home means less time available to prepare homemade meals.

And there's probably more, but I can't think of those reason right now.

Dogwood
03-01-2014, 15:22
Mexico is now the fattest nation: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...attest-nation/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/9/mexico-surpasses-us-worlds-fattest-nation/)

That article proves my point that obesity is still a huge problem in the U.S. We are STILL considered to be the #2 fattest nation!

Slo-go'en
03-01-2014, 15:52
Smoking rates are higher in many southern states which could account for some of it. It is surprising, however, that people engaged in very physical activities would smoke cigarettes. I can't imagine smoking and trying to hike 20 miles per day!

What is even more suprising is how many smokers finish the trail. It's not unusual to find a whole shelter full of thru hikers in Maine puffing away. I have a hypothesis as to why this is. One, thier mostly younger kids, the 20 something crowd and smoking hasn't caught up to them yet. Two, smokers tend to take more breaks during the day to light up. I know after I stopped smoking, I don't take nearly as many breaks during the day as I used to, since now I have nothing to do but to sit there.

When I see filter butts on the trail, I know I'm getting close to a road. These are primarly left by tourist day hikers who don't go more then a mile into the woods.

bfayer
03-01-2014, 16:00
What is even more suprising is how many smokers finish the trail. It's not unusual to find a whole shelter full of thru hikers in Maine puffing away. I have a hypothesis as to why this is. One, thier mostly younger kids, the 20 something crowd and smoking hasn't caught up to them yet. Two, smokers tend to take more breaks during the day to light up. I know after I stopped smoking, I don't take nearly as many breaks during the day as I used to, since now I have nothing to do but to sit there.

When I see filter butts on the trail, I know I'm getting close to a road. These are primarly left by tourist day hikers who don't go more then a mile into the woods.

I can't speak for Maine, but it's true in VA. It always amazes me how many thru hikers are smokers. Sometimes I think they out number the non smokers.

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 16:03
... Gross.

Am I going to be surrounded by smokers while on the trail? Seriously?

bfayer
03-01-2014, 16:12
... Gross.

Thats up to you. You don't have to hike with them if you don't want to, but they are out there in droves. Most are pretty respectful if you ask them not to smoke around you. I will warn you however that it is not a rare occurrence to walk up to a shelter and find a bunch of folks sitting around smoking.

I hate being around smokers too, but it is what it is.

Just Bill
03-01-2014, 16:27

I Love smoking. If I could smoke with no risk to my loved ones I would. But I can't. But I love it, so I go back and forth and have for years. Backpacking isn't that hard from a cardio standpoint. I quit for two years the last time- but smoked on my Long Trail speed hike and during other stints of 30 mile average days. Not proud of it, but boy do I love me some non-filtered Pall Mall.

Or just like any addict, that's what I tell myself.
Food, smokes, booze or something else it is what it is. Nothing helps unless you help yourself.

And they say that alcoholics are always alcoholics
Even when they're as dry as my lips for years
Even when they're stranded on a small desert island
With no place within 2,000 miles to buy beer
And I wonder
Is he different?
Is he different?
Has he changed? what's he about?..
Or is he just a liar with nothing to lie about?

Fuel- Ani Difrano

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 16:30
Well, I'm not snobbish about it... I just find it distasteful.

Out here we have hooka bars for groups of people to smoke together. And I was in a vap bar last weekend and that was full of nothing but college guys. Not many smokers....

Yawn, oh well. I can get used to smokers.

Just Bill
03-01-2014, 16:30
... Gross.

It ain't a bar- most smokers are respectful and don't smoke in shelters. The rest of the day you're outside.
On the flipside if I sit around a fire and enjoy a smoke sorry. We are sitting around a burning pile of trees, not in a hospital.

You been in Cali too long. People smoke.

Sierra2015
03-01-2014, 16:35
I Love smoking. If I could smoke with no risk to my loved ones I would. But I can't. But I love it, so I go back and forth and have for years. Backpacking isn't that hard from a cardio standpoint. I quit for two years the last time- but smoked on my Long Trail speed hike and during other stints of 30 mile average days. Not proud of it, but boy do I love me some non-filtered Pall Mall.
Speaking of vap bars.

What do you like about smoking? Is it the nicotine hit? Because vapor cigarettes can have that.

Just Bill
03-01-2014, 16:47
Partly a spiritual thing, partly the same way I like a good beer, mainly addiction.
Vapor cigs are just as silly and degrading as drinking rubbing alcohol.
A crutch to quit is fine, a substitute to continue to lie to yourself is just that.

Just Bill
03-01-2014, 16:48
Excuse the extreme opinions and thread drift.
Seem to be having one of those days.

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2014, 19:29
Mexico is now the fattest nation: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...attest-nation/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/9/mexico-surpasses-us-worlds-fattest-nation/)

That article proves my point that obesity is still a huge problem in the U.S. We are STILL considered to be the #2 fattest nation!
Not really, actually you missed my point. I agree (and said it in my previous post) we have huge problem with obesity, but my point was that we can not point to other countries as being free of obesity issues, actually it's growing worldwide. They love eating just as much as we do.

I don't want to hear about the mediterranean diet; I've seen all them fat old guys in speedos on the beaches of Europe...ewwww:D

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2014, 19:39
I've found through personal experience that counting calories is useless.

I guage how much I eat based on if I can run directly after eating a large meal, if I get heartburn I've been eating too much. Notice I said "...been eating too much".

Because if I eat only a little bit here and there combined with exercise my system gets very efficient and when I do eat something big like a large baked potato with all the fixins' and tons of cheese/sour cream and then go for a run it's as if there is nothing in my stomach -- but it takes some getting use to, so I'm sure it'll never be a fad diet:).

Anyone that has had a true Hiker's Appetite knows this feeling.

BTW, speaking of fad diets there's a new one; from where else but those idots in hollywood. It's called the Werewolf diet. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2545419/Forget-5-2-time-WEREWOLF-diet-Eating-lunar-calendar-like-Madonna-Demi-Moore-claims-shed-6lb-ONE-DAY.html

bamboo bob
03-01-2014, 19:44
Especially Pizza. Stop eating crappy fast food pizza like Domino's or Pizza Hut or Papa Johns, etc etc . Pizza should be hand made. Buy local from your little place in your area. Even if they charge MORE. Suck it up and buy real pizza. There is even good local pizza in Vermont. It's not just big cities that have good pizza. Stop eating packaged and prepared food. (except on the trail where anything can be eaten and is)

I had the worst Italian food ever in Erwin and the worst Chinese ever in Pearisburg. I was the ONLY person in the restaurant using chopsticks and the food was not edible. I still gag thinking about . I thru-hiker and I couldn't eat it. The Mexican food was good though.

Dogwood
03-01-2014, 20:07
Not really, actually you missed my point. I agree (and said it in my previous post) we have huge problem with obesity, but my point was that we can not point to other countries as being free of obesity issues, actually it's growing worldwide. They love eating just as much as we do.

I don't want to hear about the mediterranean diet; I've seen all them fat old guys in speedos on the beaches of Europe...ewwww:D

Ohh, I didn't meant to imply other countries don't have obesity issues. That wasn't my intention. I tried to send you a PM awhile ago concerning this but you don't accept PMs so I'll say it here. It may seem like we disagree more often that we actually do because the two of us keep focusing on our pts of discontention rather than all that we agree upon. We have more in common and agree on much.

Pedaling Fool
03-02-2014, 11:18
It may seem like we disagree more often that we actually do because the two of us keep focusing on our pts of discontention rather than all that we agree upon. We have more in common and agree on much.It seems like we disagree a lot because I don't care to talk about the things we agree on; Bobbleheads don't advance, just watch MSNBC.

I argue with you so I can expand my horizons. I know it sounds corny, but was better than saying: "...so I can grow as a human being." :D