PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Joe is all right!

Pages
02-28-2014, 10:16
i just drove up to the hostel in hot springs to bring dakota joe and his hiking companion phillip from germany some trail magic. Though younger than i expected, dakota joe struck me as a good guy. i think his heart is in the right place and he tries as much as he can with what he has. he just doesn't have a lot.

he made it to hot springs, through the smokys in february, so he is definitely tenacious and goal oriented, though i think he knows he has a very hard task ahead of him.

if you happen to meet him on the trail or at a hostel, be nice and don't necessarily believe all the negative hype about him.

btw, i will be heading out tomorrow from neels gap going north and hope to meet a lot of you out there!

pages

http://carlflammbooks.blogspot.com

saltysack
02-28-2014, 10:24
Who is dj?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sadlowskiadam
02-28-2014, 11:01
Good to hear. I read quite a bit of negative posts on this site and others about Dakota Joe. Not sure it was necessary. Like Joe, I definitely was a bit cocky and rough around the edges when I was in my early 20's (who wasn't?), yet I was able to mature and grow as a person. I wish the same personal growth for Joe while on the trail. Thru hiking is a humbling experience, which I'm sure he now knows first hand. He seems like a good guy, and I wish him the best.

rocketsocks
02-28-2014, 11:05
Who is dj?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDon't cha know? you better axe somebody!

He's just a man.:)

mrcoffeect
02-28-2014, 11:05
go joe go :-)

Lone Wolf
02-28-2014, 11:24
lookin' forward to meeting him when he reaches damascus. beers on me!

wornoutboots
02-28-2014, 11:30
Nice post Pages!!! Keep on Keepin on DJ!!

saltysack
02-28-2014, 11:38
Haaa now I remember...... Yo Yo Yo this is the vanilla ice of backpackers...I saw his videos on you tube. Very entertaining...

Odd Man Out
02-28-2014, 12:14
Good to hear. I read quite a bit of negative posts on this site and others about Dakota Joe. Not sure it was necessary. Like Joe, I definitely was a bit cocky and rough around the edges when I was in my early 20's (who wasn't?), yet I was able to mature and grow as a person. I wish the same personal growth for Joe while on the trail. Thru hiking is a humbling experience, which I'm sure he now knows first hand. He seems like a good guy, and I wish him the best.

The negative posts may not have been "necessary", but if they were referring to some of his previous behavior, then they may have been accurate. It would be great if he does turn things around and unfortunate if others don't give credit for that. For me, I don't like his writing style but I don't hold that against him. He probably doesn't like my writing style and probably doesn't hold that against me, so all is OK.

Trebor66
02-28-2014, 13:16
Go Joe Go!!

Foresight
02-28-2014, 17:42
DJ is the best thing going! Good on ya, Pages.

bfayer
02-28-2014, 20:12
The negative posts may not have been "necessary", but if they were referring to some of his previous behavior, then they may have been accurate. It would be great if he does turn things around and unfortunate if others don't give credit for that. For me, I don't like his writing style but I don't hold that against him. He probably doesn't like my writing style and probably doesn't hold that against me, so all is OK.

If I remember correctly most of the negative post were not directed at Dakota Joe (the person), but at "Team Dakota Joe" (who was not Dakota Joe). The member of "Team Dakota Joe" responsible for most of the pot stirring, has from my understanding been removed from the team.

The few negative posts that were directed at Dakota Joe were mostly referring to his previous adventures in "trail art".

As for whether the remarks were necessary, I guess that is all opinion, but from my point of view if you commit vandalism on public property, negative posts are more than appropriate. All that folks wanted to hear from him was a "My Bad, I'll go clean up my mess". Not that unreasonable of a request if you ask me.

The rest of the posts were mostly advice aimed at trying to keep him safe and hopefully successful. No matter how rough around the edges some of the folks on WB may be (me included), I have yet to see anyone that wants to see anyone get hurt or fail.

There is still some bad weather left to go for this winter, lets hope he and the other hikers out there get through it safely.

Trebor66
03-01-2014, 11:32
If I remember correctly most of the negative post were not directed at Dakota Joe (the person), but at "Team Dakota Joe" (who was not Dakota Joe). The member of "Team Dakota Joe" responsible for most of the pot stirring, has from my understanding been removed from the team.

The few negative posts that were directed at Dakota Joe were mostly referring to his previous adventures in "trail art".

As for whether the remarks were necessary, I guess that is all opinion, but from my point of view if you commit vandalism on public property, negative posts are more than appropriate. All that folks wanted to hear from him was a "My Bad, I'll go clean up my mess". Not that unreasonable of a request if you ask me.

The rest of the posts were mostly advice aimed at trying to keep him safe and hopefully successful. No matter how rough around the edges some of the folks on WB may be (me included), I have yet to see anyone that wants to see anyone get hurt or fail.

There is still some bad weather left to go for this winter, lets hope he and the other hikers out there get through it safely.

I think bfayer is right on the mark with this post. With exception of DJ writing his name on signs and shelters he has never done anything wrong. It's worth mentioning that he has since done what he could to clean that mess up. There was a guy named "Murdock" who was running DJ's Facebook page for a while. He was the one that stirred everything up and had the pissy attitude, not DJ himself. Murdock has since been fired.

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2014, 11:33
Who is dj?

Same here...

dmax
03-01-2014, 12:01
Well said brayed!

dmax
03-01-2014, 12:02
I hate spell check...

Trebor66
03-01-2014, 12:18
Same here...

Just search "Dakota Joe" on Whiteblaze and start reading. It's a long story.....

kythruhiker
03-01-2014, 23:32
My personal opinion only, but hiking with a food stamp card (as he freely admits to) is sleazy, and most likely fraud. If you're able to hike the AT, you're able to WORK to pay your own way.

Toon
03-02-2014, 00:07
My personal opinion only, but hiking with a food stamp card (as he freely admits to) is sleazy, and most likely fraud. If you're able to hike the AT, you're able to WORK to pay your own way.

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kayak karl
03-02-2014, 01:00
i don't like seeing people put a hiker on a pedestal (unless it's me :)). sure he has over come things in life and trying to do good, but I think there are more deserving hiker to support. there are a few vets out there that have sacrificed a lot for me the country in their lives . they didn't do drugs, jail time or vandalize the trail. i know that DJ is trying a 180 a i wish him all the best in his hike and recovery.
Kind of like the prodigal son's brother sermon :)

mfleming
03-02-2014, 02:52
lookin' forward to meeting him when he reaches damascus. beers on me!

The wolf is a class act

jj2044
03-02-2014, 07:05
I agree 100% !! he is a adult, he shouldn't need tax payers to pay for his food on his vacation..... and there is no way its not fraud. but he doesn't strike me as the type to care about the law ..... I respect what he wants to do, but there are much better ways to do it.

googlywoogly
03-02-2014, 07:42

co-sign. It is worse than asking strangers to help fund your hike since the money to fund those cards are confiscated from people who worked for it. I don't have a problem with folks who need help using food stamps to help them get back on their feet, but using one to fund your recreation is over the top in my opinion.

kayak karl
03-02-2014, 08:54
i will give him one benefit of doubt. if he canceled his aid it would continue for 60-90 days before it ended. this is done to bridge that job start-up even if you have no job. others collect while in programs, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

shakey_snake
03-02-2014, 10:52

I don't think you need to be so negative. Maybe it's not his card.

Maybe he bought it from someone for pennies on the dollar, so they could use those pennies to buy meth instead of feeding their children.

rocketsocks
03-02-2014, 11:04
eso si que es don't spell socks.

Last Call
03-02-2014, 12:42
At this point what difference does it make? The man is out there setting records!

Feral Bill
03-02-2014, 13:22
Seriously, If you are worried about fraud in America, Food Stamps is sure as hell not where I would put my attention.

There, that's better.

ALLEGHENY
03-02-2014, 13:31
Seriously, If you are worried about fraud in America, Food Stamps is sure as hell where I would put my attention.

Report Public Assistance Fraud OR 1-866-762-2237 (http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/access/ReportFraud/MainForm.aspx)

4eyedbuzzard
03-02-2014, 13:33
I hope he turns his life around. But, he seems like one of those who would rather take the easy way out and take advantage of the kindness of others (including the taxpayers in general), rather than work for a living. I've got no respect for that.

Dahoyt
03-02-2014, 14:59
I think he's okay, only thing that gets me is bragging about food stamps, while most everyone else works to fund there hike, he relies on handouts, and food stamps. And he's early 30's, so that says a lot...

mfleming
03-02-2014, 15:00
An abundance of speculation.....

ChinMusic
03-02-2014, 15:02
Surfer Dude meet Hiker Boy

Lone Wolf
03-02-2014, 15:13
where on this site or any other site does he say he's using food stamps? and if he is, who cares? if he's eligible for them then so be it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-02-2014, 15:39
where on this site or any other site does he say he's using food stamps? and if he is, who cares? if he's eligible for them then so be it.At minute 4:25 in the video - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=588006747943103&set=vb.402682666475513&type=2&theater

He has no income, only a food stamp allotment that will to my knowledge expire in 3 months, and a rap sheet longer than this thread. I'm all for people turning their lives around. But it sure seems to me someone truly trying to break the chain of recidivism would be using that 3 month period of time trying to seek gainful employment, not off on a hiking vacation. I ain't a believer.

Dahoyt
03-02-2014, 16:36
I like Joe, besides the food stamp thing.

Feral Bill
03-02-2014, 16:51
Some things I've learned working with troubled youth. And I mean really troubled.

1. Some are going to turn things around and make a life for themselves.

2. Some are doomed to failure, no matter what anyone does to help them.

3. We have no way of knowing which is which ahead of time.

Using those food stamps may be part of going one way, or part of going the other. We don't know.
So let's not be so fast to judge, shall we?

MDSection12
03-02-2014, 16:51
At minute 4:25 in the video - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=588006747943103&set=vb.402682666475513&type=2&theater

He has no income, only a food stamp allotment that will to my knowledge expire in 3 months, and a rap sheet longer than this thread. I'm all for people turning their lives around. But it sure seems to me someone truly trying to break the chain of recidivism would be using that 3 month period of time trying to seek gainful employment, not off on a hiking vacation. I ain't a believer.
+1

First of all, the whole 'turning his life around' narrative is a joke. He's just making excuses for why he should get to hike and others should have to pay for it (with public funding or direct handouts).

Second, even if it were true it'd still be far less worthy of all of this hype than any number of other hikers every year. Everyone has a story why they're hiking, and many of them are truly inspirational. I'd much rather hear about someone truly making positive change in their life and the lives of others than a career criminal scamming welfare programs to go on vacation.

He also really creeps me out in that video. I've said it before, but if I see him at a shelter I'm hiking on...

rickb
03-02-2014, 17:31
I was about to post a poll asking how many on Whiteblaze have done time in jail.

But I thought better of that.

One thing is certain, doing a thru hike introduces one to people with very diverse backgrounds.

mfleming
03-02-2014, 17:47
[QUOTE=Feral Bill;1855966]Some things I've learned working with troubled youth. And I mean really troubled.

1. Some are going to turn things around and make a life for themselves.

2. Some are doomed to failure, no matter what anyone does to help them.

3. We have no way of knowing which is which ahead of time.

Using those food stamps may be part of going one way, or part of going the other. We don't know.
So let's not be so fast to judge, shall

Well said FB!

mrcoffeect
03-02-2014, 17:56
Did ten days in the county lock up in FL for getting caught with a couple joints at spring break 1985. my bad:rolleyes:

mrcoffeect
03-02-2014, 18:01
never judge how far someone will get in life, by where they are standing now. If he is trying to get somewhere it's good enough for me.

jj2044
03-02-2014, 22:26
If he is trying to get somewhere it's good enough for me.
I think everyone here respects someone that is trying to turn his life around, but that's not what he is doing. he got out of jail and is getting tax payers to pay for him to hike. if he was turning his life around he would be trying to find steady job and support himself....... and if he would of shown up a year or 2 from now with his own money I would support him 100%. what he did was get out of jail, get a food stamp card and go hike...... he is a POS in my book.

Last Call
03-02-2014, 22:31
The man has to eat....at least he is not begging or setting up "less than honest" websites preying on others sympathy.

jj2044
03-02-2014, 22:45
The man has to eat....at least he is not begging or setting up "less than honest" websites preying on others sympathy.

LOL I guess so, but he can work for his food !!! he could work if he wanted too, he just doesn't.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2014, 00:18
He is working. He is working on leaving behind a horrible previous life to hopefully become a better person. If public funds facilitate the process for a few months, well thats probably in everyones best interest in the long term isnt it? Or would you like to pay to support him for life in a prison? Your choice. He knows he needs a new start, he wants this to be it.

MDSection12
03-03-2014, 00:33
He is working. He is working on leaving behind a horrible previous life to hopefully become a better person. If public funds facilitate the process for a few months, well thats probably in everyones best interest in the long term isnt it? Or would you like to pay to support him for life in a prison? Your choice.
I get what you're saying to a degree, but that's a pretty sad argument. You really think that he's somehow so inherently immoral that those are our choices? I don't think that at all. Besides even if it were true, I'd think the argument goes out the window if he's breaking the law by collecting the benefits. Any plan to leave behind a criminal past that is entirely funded by an illegal endeavor is suspect to me.

I don't really care, and I certainly don't have any ill will towards the guy, but the attention he's been getting (particularly when the word 'inspirational' gets tossed around) isn't due. Why can't we find a more positive figure to make the talk of 2014? Surely there are a few dozen truly inspirational stories each year.