PDA

View Full Version : Extra-virgin olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties similar to ibuprofen

Brently
02-28-2014, 14:42
Found this interesting article http://www.arthritistoday.org/what-you-can-do/eating-well/arthritis-diet/olive-oil-inflammation.php
Just one more reason i'm carrying EVOO on my thru!

Hill Ape
02-28-2014, 15:06
rachael ray would be proud!

Hot Flash
02-28-2014, 15:41
Found this interesting article http://www.arthritistoday.org/what-you-can-do/eating-well/arthritis-diet/olive-oil-inflammation.php
Just one more reason i'm carrying EVOO on my thru!

Assuming it actually works, you're going to have to carry a hell of a lot of it. From WebMD:

Researchers say they began researching the potential anti-inflammatory properties of olive oil after observing that fresh extra-virgin olive oil irritates the back of the throat in the same way that NSAIDs do.

After isolating the throat-irritating enzyme, they found that it also inhibited the inflammatory activity of Cox-1 and Cox-2 like the anti-inflammatory drugs. Inhibiting these reactions impedes the production of the chemical messengers that cause the pain and swelling of arthritis inflammation.
The results, published in the Sept. 1 issue of Nature, show that a 50 gram (1.75 ounce) daily dose of olive oil is equivalent to about 10% of the ibuprofen dose recommended for adult pain relief.

OCDave
02-28-2014, 15:58
The anti-inflammatory effects of olive oil are attributable to replacing omega -6 fatty acids, high in corn feed meat animals, with omega-3 fatty acids, high in seafoods and grass fed meat animals. Comparing olive oil's anti-inflammtory effect to a COX inhibitor is sloppy science or sloppy journalism.

OCDave
02-28-2014, 16:23
Sorry, I feel a bit guilty about my knee-jerk reaction above. I haven't read any papers which can explain a mechanism for oleocanthals. Plenty of science regarding diets high in omega-6 fatty acids and the production of arachodonic acid (precursor of many inflammatory mediators). If I could edit above< I'd simply say I am HIGHLY skeptical.

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 16:37
There are plenty of anti-inflammatory foods/ingredients suitable for the trail. Most of these also have antioxidant properties as well. EVOO is just one.

These are all on trail. I make sure to have that Omega 3, 6 ratio in balance by eating plenty of nuts(all kinds, walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios, Brazil, cashews, etc), seeds(flax, sesame, hemp, chia, pumpkin, sunflower, etc), and fish(salmon(wild Alaskan salmon w/ skin in the can I buy for $2), sardines, mackerel, trout, herring, etc). Often, I take a reputable(certified free of PCBs, mercury, other toxins) fish oil supplement. With all these, the main thing I'm looking for are EFAs(Essential Fatty Acids- the "good fats").

Green tea or green tea extract. I want high amts of EGCG(Epigallocatechin-3 galate) and other polyphenols. I like the simplicity of making some green tea at camp.

Phtochemicals, polyphenols, and bioflavonoids- important natural occurring compounds that are all too often often left out or adulterated in highly processed highly refined foods especially "junk" foods!

Colorful berries(black, blue, straw, rasp, huckle, thimble, etc). Cantaloupe(split one with a hiker friend and cut up into chucks or slices, goes well with watermelon and blueberries!), apricots(dried work well), cherries.

Greens - broccoli crowns, collard greens, kale, spinach, sprig of fresh parsley/cilantro, a sweet potato/yam, colorful peppers(I buy a package of three mini peppers- red, yellow, orange at Walmart for $.99 - $1.27 for the trail).

Ginger(small piece of fresh rhizome(green tea w/ ginger is good, add to dinners), try adding crystallized ginger into oatmeal with powdered coconut milk, walnuts/almonds, and cinnamon - Yum!, also add ginger to trail mixes), garlic(fresh clove, no brainer, has other health benefits), curcumin/turmeric(goes into all my Mexican and Middle East/Indian inspired trail meals, I buy fresh turmeric roots every chance I get off and on trail! - GOOD anti-inflammatory!), cinnamon(oatmeal, a few Indian inspired dinners, I sprinkle onto trail mixes that contain much tropical dried fruit(pineapples, mango) when I know water will be abundant)

I sometimes take on trail anti-inflammatory supplements/vitamins - Vit E, Boswellia serrata, Pycogenol, fish oil, capsacin annum I get in the peppers(colorful bell peppers, serranos, jalapenos, anchos, chili peppers, etc), Reveratrol/red wine extract,

Haven't tried Cats Claw supplements. No current need. What I'm doing to avoid inflammation is working.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/foods-fight-inflammation-diet_n_2079331.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/553966_5

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3011108/ (scroll to page 4 for Natural Examples of Anti Inflammatories if you don't want the chemical/medical background beta)

There is another side of this that not many discuss. There are also PRO inflammatory foods and lifestyle choices - Dairy, hydrogenated oils, sugars, and refined carbs for example.

The more I study dairy and research INDEPENDENT studies of consuming dairy the more I'm coming quickly coming to the conclusion that it doesn't need to be in the vast majority of human diets and certainly nowhere in the amounts U.S. citizens consume dairy products, specifically dairy cow products. There are healthier alternatives to get all the benefits of dairy without all the potential negatives of dairy

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 16:39
Try that third link OCDave. You might find something there interesting about COX inhibitors and it's association with inflammation.

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 16:43
I hear ya Hot Flash but I don't see where anyone is saying Olive Oil is a magic bullet panacea cure all for its proposed anti-inflammatory properties. I think what Brently's linked to article was saying is that Olive Oil can simply be a part of an entire anti-inflammatory diet.

rocketsocks
02-28-2014, 16:48
There are plenty of anti-inflammatory foods/ingredients suitable for the trail. Most of these also have antioxidant properties as well. EVOO is just one.

These are all on trail. I make sure to have that Omega 3, 6 ratio in balance by eating plenty of nuts(all kinds, walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios, Brazil, cashews, etc), seeds(flax, sesame, hemp, chia, pumpkin, sunflower, etc), and fish(salmon(wild Alaskan salmon w/ skin in the can I buy for $2), sardines, mackerel, trout, herring, etc). Often, I take a reputable(certified free of PCBs, mercury, other toxins) fish oil supplement. With all these, the main thing I'm looking for are EFAs(Essential Fatty Acids- the "good fats").

Green tea or green tea extract. I want high amts of EGCG(Epigallocatechin-3 galate) and other polyphenols. I like the simplicity of making some green tea at camp.

Phtochemicals, polyphenols, and bioflavonoids- important natural occurring compounds that are all too often often left out or adulterated in highly processed highly refined foods especially "junk" foods!

Colorful berries(black, blue, straw, rasp, huckle, thimble, etc). Cantaloupe(split one with a hiker friend and cut up into chucks or slices, goes well with watermelon and blueberries!), apricots(dried work well), cherries.

Greens - broccoli crowns, collard greens, kale, spinach, sprig of fresh parsley/cilantro, a sweet potato/yam, colorful peppers(I buy a package of three mini peppers- red, yellow, orange at Walmart for $.99 - $1.27 for the trail).

Ginger(small piece of fresh rhizome(green tea w/ ginger is good, add to dinners), try adding crystallized ginger into oatmeal with powdered coconut milk, walnuts/almonds, and cinnamon - Yum!, also add ginger to trail mixes), garlic(fresh clove, no brainer, has other health benefits), curcumin/turmeric(goes into all my Mexican and Middle East/Indian inspired trail meals, I buy fresh turmeric roots every chance I get off and on trail! - GOOD anti-inflammatory!), cinnamon(oatmeal, a few Indian inspired dinners, I sprinkle onto trail mixes that contain much tropical dried fruit(pineapples, mango) when I know water will be abundant)

I sometimes take on trail anti-inflammatory supplements/vitamins - Vit E, Boswellia serrata, Pycogenol, fish oil, capsacin annum I get in the peppers(colorful bell peppers, serranos, jalapenos, anchos, chili peppers, etc), Reveratrol/red wine extract,

Haven't tried Cats Claw supplements. No current need. What I'm doing to avoid inflammation is working.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/foods-fight-inflammation-diet_n_2079331.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/553966_5

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3011108/ (scroll to page 4 for Natural Examples of Anti Inflammatories if you don't want the chemical/medical background beta)

There is another side of this that not many discuss. There are also PRO inflammatory foods and lifestyle choices - Dairy, hydrogenated oils, sugars, and refined carbs for example.

The more I study dairy and research INDEPENDENT studies of consuming dairy the more I'm coming quickly coming to the conclusion that it doesn't need to be in the vast majority of human diets and certainly nowhere in the amounts U.S. citizens consume dairy products, specifically dairy cow products. There are healthier alternatives to get all the benefits of dairy without all the potential negatives of dairySugar too, pure poison. just read the other day the average person in the US consumes 100 lbs of sugar a year, that's a lot of 5 lb bags.

Oops...4 lb bags now....my how things have changed.

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 17:07
THX for the note RS. Got it though. Look at my next to last pargraph. "There is another side of this that not many discuss. There are also PRO inflammatory foods and lifestyle choices - Dairy, hydrogenated oils, sugars, and refined carbs for example."

OCDave
02-28-2014, 17:22
Dogwood,

Thanks for the links. I'll try to find time to read some articles this weekend. Also, I commend you on a balanced and rational approach to better health. I am weary of "Magic Bullet" health and fitness, especially when it is diet or diet supplement of the week related.

Perhaps, I'm just bitter than 2 bottles of Red wine to wash down my 50,000 IU of vitamin D daily hasn't returned my to the health of my mid-20s....just joking....I can only afford one bottle a day.

DumbAss
02-28-2014, 20:30
If you carry peanut butter on the trail get one that separates and pour off the high omega 6 peanut oil on top (peanuts are not a nut they are a legume) and mix in olive oil instead. Almond butter would be the better choice.

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 20:40
If you carry peanut butter on the trail get one that separates and pour off the high omega 6 peanut oil on top (peanuts are not a nut they are a legume) and mix in olive oil instead. Almond butter would be the better choice.

See, you are doing what I do but in a different way. I reconstitute my PB2(powdered PB) with EVOO. I do it mainly to get the the cals/oz ratio back up to something that likens it to reg constituted PB but I also do it to introduce more omega 3 fats into the mix. I never thought about doing what you're saying. I like this exchange of ideas.

Dogwood
02-28-2014, 21:05
What we very often are in the habit of doing especially when following Western Medical Education is addressing symptoms. We are a society obsessed with symptoms. We believe the symptoms are the problem when they could be the solution! Inflammation is largely a symptom not necessarily a cause. Inflammation in most circumstances are a sign that our bodies natural healing and defense mechanisms are working. Pain can even be a good thing at times! Yet, over and over we are taught that the symptom is the problem. While symptoms and our bodies natural healing processes can be viewed as a problem the bigger issue is the CAUSE of the inflammation and the pain. I view inflammation as something that could be good. It's a sign telling me something is out of balance. It could be telling me that I need to change something. I might have to slow down when hiking. I might have to more closely monitor my diet reducing and eliminating pro inflammatory response foods or lifestyle choices while adding to my diet more natural anti inflammatory foods. Conveniently popping a pain or anti-inflammatory pill is NOT addressing the cause of the inflammation nor is consuming massive amounts of Olive Oil the answer either. Masking the symptoms while ignoring the causes while possibly convenient in the short term can lead to much greater health problems.

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2014, 23:42
Gelatin contains collagen (http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/collagen-injections), which is one of the materials that make up cartilage and bone. This is why some people think gelatin might help for arthritis and other joint conditions.Gelatin is used for weight loss (http://www.webmd.com/diet/default.htm) and for treating osteoarthritis (http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/osteoarthritis-treatment-care), rheumatoid arthritis (http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/default.htm), and brittle bones (osteoporosis (http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/default.htm)). Some people also use it for strengthening bones, joints, and fingernails. Gelatin is also used for improving hair (http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/picture-of-the-hair) quality and to shorten recovery after exercise (http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/default.htm) and sports-related injury.

Considered as a delicacy in many countries, America views bone marrow as a byproduct and thus, the health benefits of bone marrow are severely underappreciated. Unfortunately, it has been a misconception for many decades. Bone marrow is considered an extremely nutritious food by many traditional societies. What you must know about the unbelievable health benefits of bone marrow!In his book “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration”, (http://amzn.to/122ml3U) Weston Price wrote, “For the Indians living inside the Rocky Mountain Range in the far North of Canada, the successful nutrition for nine months of the year was largely limited to wild game, chiefly moose and caribou. During the summer months the Indians were able to use growing plants. During the winter some use was made of bark and buds of trees. I found the Indians putting great emphasis upon the eating of the organs of the animals, including the wall of parts of the digestive tract. Much of the muscle meat of the animals was fed to the dogs. It is important that skeletons are rarely found where large game animals have been slaughtered by the Indians of the North. The skeletal remains are found as piles of finely broken bone chips or splinters that have been cracked up to obtain as much as possible of the marrow and nutritive qualities of the bones. These Indians obtain their fat-soluble vitamins and also most of their minerals from the organs of the animals. An important part of the nutrition of the children consisted in various preparations of bone marrow, both as a substitute for milk and as a special dietary ration”(6th Edition, page 260). Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580089356/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=1580089356&link_code=as3&tag=lahealthylivi-20)http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=lahealthylivi-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1580089356

What is Bone Marrow?

Bone marrow is a fatty, jello like substance found in the core of bones. It’s a nutrient dense and rich in energy substances that all types of animals are primarily drawn toward when they capture a prey. Bone marrow fulfills many vital roles due to its high content of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, and lipids (alkylglycerols). Bone marrow helps the immune system by carrying oxygen to cells in the body. It is one of the most effective remedies for the gut lining. Consuming bone marrow will help improve brain function, maintain healthy bones, support immune systems and speed up the healing process of any injury or fracture.
Unbelievable Health Benefits of Bone Marrow

Essential Fatty Acids

Bone marrow consists of mostly monounsaturated fat. It also contains less amount of polyunsaturated fat and conjugated linoleic acid which is known as a potent cancer inhibitor. Bone marrow is a great source of omega-3 fatty acid which is essential for the proper functioning of the brain. Bone marrow is also a good source of glycine, which is an amino used to make and repair other proteins in the body. Fatty acid deficiency can result in delayed wound healing, different types of skin problems, weak immune system, and etc.
Vitamins and Minerals

One of the main qualities of bone marrow is that it contains important microelements: calcium, iron, phosphorous, zinc, selenium, magnesium, manganese, and other mineral-Laden chemicals. It also contains Vitamin A in its complete form. Moreover, in the bone marrow these trace elements are already in the right condition and concentration for the body.Shortage of such microelements can lead to anemia, weakening of the immune system which is responsible for protecting the body from infections and antigens, chronic fatigue and weakness, development of cardiovascular and other heavy diseases. Pregnant women require higher amount of these minerals and vitamins. Therefore, bone marrow strengthens the immunity, improves the cardiovascular and renal system, stimulates hormonal secretion and sexual function of the organism, improves memory, sleep, emotional mood, perception, comprehension and instinctively-conscious reflection of the person.Lipids

Bone marrow contains alkylglycerols which are involved in the production of white blood cells in the bone marrow. They protect the body against infections and contribute to health maintenance of cells under serious immune problems such as cancer. When a person has cancer, the level of alkylglycerols rises within tumor cells in order to control cell growth. Alkylglycerols can also be found in mothers’ milk.If you buy conventionally raised animal products, you can end up with toxins which are normally stored in the fatty areas of bones such as bone marrow. It is very important to find bones from grass fed healthy animals such as grass-fed cows, organic poultry bones, bison, lamb.

Collagen injections give your skin (http://www.webmd.com/beauty/toc-old) a plumper, smoother appearance. Although collagen is the best known filler, there are many other substances doctors can use to plump up your skin, including fat from your own body and synthetic materials. Below you will find a detailed explanation of how collagen works, followed by a list of other injectable fillers your doctor may recommend.
Collagen

To understand collagen, you should first understand your skin.
Skin consists of three layers: the epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue (hypodermis). The upper-most layer, known as the epidermis, controls the loss of water from cells and tissue.
Without this protective barrier, the body would quickly dehydrate.
Just below the epidermis lies the second layer, the dermis. The dermis, although it contains blood vessels, nerves, and hair follicles, is primarily made up of a protein called "collagen." This protein forms a network of fibers that provides a framework for the growth of cells and blood vessels. Because it is the primary component of the dermis, collagen acts as the support structure for the skin. The hypodermis is a layer of fat and connective tissue that contains larger blood vessels and nerves. It also hosts sweat glands, fat, and collagen cells. The hypodermis is responsible for conserving your body's heat and protecting your vital inner organs.

Why Do Lines Appear on Skin?

In young skin, the collagen framework is intact and the skin remains moisturized and elastic. It's resilient to the many facial expressions we adopt as well as everyday environmental exposure. But, over time, the support structure weakens and the skin loses its elasticity. The skin begins to lose its tone as the collagen support wears down. Every time you smile, frown, or squint, you put stress on the collagen in your skin. The effect of these facial expressions is cumulative and facial lines begin to appear.

Wilson2016
03-01-2014, 04:05
Sorry if I missed something someone else has said, but I am thinking coconut oil. Look it up stays solid till about 70 degrees good for your skin good for your body can take high temps I think it's lighter like lard but good for you!

DumbAss
03-01-2014, 21:27
@ Wise Old Owl Gelatin is a very important source of protein. It is not an anti inflammatory so much as it is food for our cartilage and helps to strengthen our joints, a very important quality for hikers. We do not eat the cartilage off the end of bones or other connective tissues in our culture and the gelatin contains the peptides and amino acids from them. It is a very light powdered protein that is easily carried on the trail, one ounce is about 25 grams of protein.

I put it in my morning smoothies as a protein source every third morning in rotation with powdered egg whites and whey powder. I do the same thing on the trail, mixing 2/3 cup oatmeal blended to flour with the protein source and dried blueberries or other anti oxidant fruit. Then I just add cold water mix and drink. Breakfast in 60 seconds with no stove or fuel.

As far as organ meats I will say again that Beverly Ultra 40 Argentinian freeze dried grass fed beef liver pills are the ultimate light weight source of protein on the trail and loaded with micronutrients. Best price I have found is here http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bev/beef.html

Wise Old Owl
03-02-2014, 00:05
I guess my point is that gelatin is converted into building blocks that may repair or may build joint health better than chondroitin as folks have for 100,000 years consumed bone marrow (soups) and intestine linings (Hot dogs / sausages). Now that American nutritions admitted to getting it wrong in the 1980's about fat - marrow - and gelatin... just because we choose not to eat it, doesn't mean that the body craves - fruits, vegetables, marrow, and gelatin. Why is joint heath the for front of longevity? Why do millions of Americans have arthritis? Jerky with fat is a far better substitute they whey and protein.

So go a little old school and you won't need anti inflammatories or odd stuff in your diet. Just sharing.

Just so we don't get the discussion twisted, I have no idea what the Paleo diet is and don't care. - yet, just haven't had time to read it...

LaurieAnn
03-05-2014, 13:15
Speaking of anti-inflammatory properties... I've started using dried cherries as fuel when I hike or train (I'm training for a 25K trail race and a full marathon this year). I've been told that they have anti-inflammatory properties as well. It's important too, when long distance hiking (or running) to ensure you are getting enough iron to replenish what is lost during an intense day and enough protein to aid muscle repair especially if there have been a lot of hills on your hike. Our muscles get tiny micro-tears which when rebuilt make us stronger so the protein is so important.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2015, 10:07
Given enough time the truth eventually comes out, just like it did with all the naysayers on fat and cholesterol http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/10/feds-poised-to-withdraw-longstanding-warnings-about-dietary-cholesterol/

Now there's a little backtracking on Omega-3 supplements http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/claims-that-fish-oil-boosts-health-linger-despite-science-saying-the-opposite/2015/07/08/db7567d2-1848-11e5-bd7f-4611a60dd8e5_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

A very interesting article, long, but interesting and full of good links.

It's all about money and in the case of fish oil, it's about a 1.2 billion dollar industry. That's big incentive to sell you BS on it's health properties.

Not saying that fish oil is bad, it's just not the miracle thing we keep hearing about. I don't take the stuff and my resting HR is in the upper 40's to low 50's along with super low BP. I still contend that diet is important, but it's importance is way overstated and the importance of exercise is being way understated.

It's all about the money, don't be the sheeple of these businesses.

P.S. There's also a little blurb and link on salt in that article, but I've yet to read it. I think it will be interesting to read when I get time...

Dogwood
07-10-2015, 12:23
Don't be a sheeple of the USDA, Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, or the Washington Post either. OMG, are they are all heavily influenced by various businesses, some of which you are rightly complaining about, food industry sectors(American Egg Board for example), powerful special interest lobbying groups, etc.

Read the article carefully too in Washington Post. A critical consideration for the current reassessment on cholesterol under review are based on otherwise healthy folks: "The finding follows an evolution of thinking among many nutritionists who now believe that, for healthy adults, eating foods high in cholesterol may not significantly affect the level of cholesterol in the blood or increase the risk of heart disease." That language is damn vague wide open to interpretation and wiggle room when something else is discovered or we find was left out of the health/nutritional explanations. So easy to reach mistaken conclusions without fully digesting what is being offered.

Science is not finite. It keeps advancing with open minded scientists who will question previously held scientific BELIEFS(approaches). In science, there are knowledge gaps, incorrect viewpoints, rather shallow incomplete scientific viewpoints, etc. Science, including Nutritional Science, is NOT a done deal knowledge wise, nor will it ever be! So, EVEN IN SCIENCE, nutritional science, what is considered THE TRUTH, changes.

In this context, what was previously communicated about fat and cholesterol was not the whole story. We now here about good fat sources and that cholesterol isn't just some substance that operates independently absolutely on its evil own outside of MANY other considerations. Everything is not a duality - good or bad - even as it pertains to Nutrition and nutritional substances. Guess what? This current understanding is evolving too. The key word being evolving - as in constantly changing.

What the heck does healthy constitute in the U.S. anymore anyhow? ESPECIALLY with the escalating rates of Diabetes(particular in children!), Heart Disease, some cancers, and strokes.

I find it hilarious that it is suddenly being suggested dietary cholesterol is not a huge concern given that the most prescribed and profitable prescription drugs being prescribed in the U.S. are anti-statin(cholesterol busting) drugs.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2015, 14:30
Don't be a sheeple of the USDA, Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, or the Washington Post either. OMG, are they are all heavily influenced by various businesses, some of which you are rightly complaining about, food industry sectors(American Egg Board for example), powerful special interest lobbying groups, etc.
I agree with that. And I also agree that many media outlets (very much including the Wash Post) have issue with being influenced, but they all also (every once in a while) "leak" a good story. You gotta always be on the look out and read between the lines.

Read the article carefully too in Washington Post. A critical consideration for the current reassessment on cholesterol under review are based on otherwise healthy folks: "The finding follows an evolution of thinking among many nutritionists who now believe that, for healthy adults, eating foods high in cholesterol may not significantly affect the level of cholesterol in the blood or increase the risk of heart disease." That language is damn vague wide open to interpretation and wiggle room when something else is discovered or we find was left out of the health/nutritional explanations. So easy to reach mistaken conclusions without fully digesting what is being offered.

Science is not finite. It keeps advancing with open minded scientists who will question previously held scientific BELIEFS(approaches). In science, there are knowledge gaps, incorrect viewpoints, rather shallow incomplete scientific viewpoints, etc. Science, including Nutritional Science, is NOT a done deal knowledge wise, nor will it ever be! So, EVEN IN SCIENCE, nutritional science, what is considered THE TRUTH, changes.

In this context, what was previously communicated about fat and cholesterol was not the whole story. We now here about good fat sources and that cholesterol isn't just some substance that operates independently absolutely on its evil own outside of MANY other considerations. Everything is not a duality - good or bad - even as it pertains to Nutrition and nutritional substances. Guess what? This current understanding is evolving too. The key word being evolving - as in constantly changing.

What the heck does healthy constitute in the U.S. anymore anyhow? ESPECIALLY with the escalating rates of Diabetes(particular in children!), Heart Disease, some cancers, and strokes.
I'm going to have to come back to this later, getting ready to go to the mountains. Suffice it to say, the best advice I've found thus far is: "all in moderation". A very common saying and you might say it's somewhat of a cliche. However, it's very true nonetheless. What people don't realize in that saying/"cliche" is just how little "all in moderation" means. I don't care what Dr Oz says, there is nothing magical about fish oil supplements and all the other crap he sells. Emphasis on the word: magical. Furthermore, it's not even needed, you can get it from other things. I hardly eat fish and I never take fish oil supplements.

I find it hilarious that it is suddenly being suggested dietary cholesterol is not a huge concern given that the most prescribed and profitable prescription drugs being prescribed in the U.S. are anti-statin(cholesterol busting) drugs. That doesn't mean it's necessary, just because it's the most prescribed. People want an easy fix, i.e. a pill to cure all that ails them. Send them guys to a program much like the Biggest Loser (where they are not only attacking their problem from a diet perspective, but also from an exercise angle) and they will be able to come off them drugs.

P.S. Also, lets not confuse those that need these drugs due to hereditary issues with heart disease. That's a totally different animal.

And one last thing I mentioned before and what to emphasize. Nothing in this article is saying fish oil supplements are bad, they just are not the magical pill the companies and other claim. What's wrong with that?

rocketsocks
07-10-2015, 14:36
Saw an interesting documentary yesterday called Obsessed scientist, or something like that. it was about a Dr Larry Shapiro from Columbia university and his grad students looking to grown crystal and map proteins, namely AMPK which acts like a switch to turn on an off metabolism...pretty interesting stuff.

can't seem to find it on you tube, maybe its not out yet, but here you may find a TV schedule to view it.

http://www.thirteen.org/naturally-obsessed/

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2015, 14:42
Have to check it out later, I gotta get packin'...

But I do think one day food will be unnecessary, thanks to scientific advancements. But that's crazy talk nowadays:D

rocketsocks
07-10-2015, 14:51
Have to check it out later, I gotta get packin'...

But I do think one day food will be unnecessary, thanks to scientific advancements. But that's crazy talk nowadays:D
have a good hike
I don't much understand all this, but it was interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMP-activated_protein_kinase#Exercise.2Ftraining