PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for one who sleeps on side and rolls...

Stinkbug
02-28-2014, 15:14
The bag is the last I need to complete the big 4 cycle. I saw good reviews for the Nemo Rhythm 25 degree synthetic for $220. The only drawback for me is the weight @3.+ lbs. Everything else I read is very pro related towards the side sleeper. The other bag I saw was a Big Agnes Lost Creek down mummy w/ full length zipper. The Lost Creek comes in @ 1.+ lbs for $188. (The down is water resistent.) I was thinking if I got the down mummy I could un zip for ventilation. Both bags got very favorable reviews. About $250 is my limit. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance...
Sent from my Kindle Fire usng Tapatalk 2

Don H
02-28-2014, 16:10
I'm a side sleeper, my favorite bags are the Montbell Down Huggers.

Lucy Lulu
02-28-2014, 16:12
Agree with Don H. Those or quilts.

Sierra2015
02-28-2014, 16:15
Mmm Montbell.

On sale right now! http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=10&fo_flg=1

skybrew
02-28-2014, 16:24
I'm an active side sleeper and I've been very happy with my Big Agnes Lost Ranger and Yampa bags. They both require an air mattress (I use the Big Agnes Air Core but any similarly sized air mattress should work) which basically keeps the bag from twisting when you roll...you roll and the bag stays. Works for me. I also use a silk bag liner (Cocoon brand IIRC) for another 5-10*F of comfort (and keeps the bag a bit cleaner). The bag weight is great and I chalk up the mattress weight to necessary comfort - I'm on the wrong side of 60 and enjoy a good night's rest when weeks-long section hiking. HTH. Strider: VA & WV NOBO in 2014

Malto
02-28-2014, 16:28
I am also a side sleeper and used to get tangled up in my bag. I switched to a 20deg down quilt (Golite) and that solved my issue. I do not used the straps to keep it tucked under me so I sometimes have the quilt pull up a bit and get drafty if I don't use a bivy. But it weighs 20oz. and cost $130 so it is lighter and cheaper than most other options. May be an option to consider.

daddytwosticks
02-28-2014, 16:29
I'm a very active sleeper. From back, to side, to back, to side. You get the picture. Love my WM Megalite. Very roomy for a mummy bag and not at all confining. I tend to "take the bag with me" when I toss and turn. :)

Ktaadn
02-28-2014, 16:33
I too sleep on my side and like to rollover about 137 times each night. I have found that I really like to unzip my sleeping bag and just lay it over me. For this reason, my next purchase will be a quilt. For real winter, I would still lean towards a bag, but for anything over 20 degrees, I'm going quilt.

Just give the unzip thing a try for a few nights and see if you like it. Good luck.

Don H
02-28-2014, 16:54
Mmm Montbell.

On sale right now! http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=10&fo_flg=1

Yes they have new models out just called Down Huggers. Of the last year models which are on sale, I like the UL Super Spiral Down Hugger models.

However I don't see why any good quality bag wouldn't work for a side sleeper.

ricksavard
02-28-2014, 17:58
The Nemo Nocturne 15* is what I have and is excellent for side sleepers. Weighs just over 2lb. he 30* bag weighs even less.

Stinkbug
02-28-2014, 19:27
Wow... I have some homework to do! I thought I had it narrowed down to two bags. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

winger
02-28-2014, 21:19
Get a quilt.

AT_Walker
02-28-2014, 21:32
+1 on Nemo Nocturne.

Schnitzel
02-28-2014, 22:40
So glad to see I'm not the only one who uses the Memo bags and likes them!

mak1277
03-01-2014, 11:23
I am also a side sleeper and used to get tangled up in my bag. I switched to a 20deg down quilt (Golite) and that solved my issue. I do not used the straps to keep it tucked under me so I sometimes have the quilt pull up a bit and get drafty if I don't use a bivy. But it weighs 20oz. and cost $130 so it is lighter and cheaper than most other options. May be an option to consider.

Did you buy that new from golite? Do they still offer the 20 deg quilt? All I can see currently not their site is a 30* for $300.

mak1277
03-01-2014, 11:23
Did you buy that new from golite? Do they still offer the 20 deg quilt? All I can see currently not their site is a 30* for $300.

"On their site"...autocorrect wins again

Another Kevin
03-01-2014, 12:32
I'm an active sleeper, too, and I've had bags that roll with me and bags that don't. Right now I use an REI Radiant for not-so-cold weather, and it mostly rolls with me, and a Marmot Never Summer for colder weather, and it doesn't. I've never tried the Big Agnes system, but suspect it might not work for me - rolling with me when it shouldn't. With a conventional bag, my experience is that it just doesn't matter. As long as I can find the zipper, who cares whether I wake up with the bag upside down? If you're snooping in my tent uninvited to see, I'll thank you to keep your nose in your own affairs!

LIhikers
03-02-2014, 01:39
Another recommendation for the Montbell bags with the stretch feature. I've had one for a while now and it's just what the doctor ordered. It allows me to flip flop and roll around all night.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2014, 02:02
I'm a side sleeper who tosses and turns and I've never noticed any difference between different sleeping bags (I've had at least a dozen different ones over the years). Honestly my bigger concern has always been rolling off my sleeping pad, which I do with some regularity. When it's cold I fully zip up my bags and they move with me as I roll over, if it's warm I usually unzip my bag and use it more like a quilt, then I can roll around without issue. I guess what I'm saying is don't worry about it too much.