PDA

View Full Version : New Mapbooks

bearcreek
03-01-2014, 11:10
Good news - I have reviewed proofs of the two new Colorado Trail and Collegiate Peaks Loop Mapbooks and they are good to go. The books include the new 28 miles opening this year in the Collegiate Peaks West. Expect to see them in the CT store in two-three weeks. http://www.coloradotrail.org/

On Track
03-01-2014, 11:32
Last summer 2013 I got to hike the biggest new 2014 Collegiate West reroute ... 23 miles ... SPECTACULAR. Great work getting' the Map Books up to date. Can't wait to see 'em in the CT Store.

http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Guides_c4.htm

wandering_bob
03-15-2014, 15:23
The new Collegiate Loop Map Books are now available from the CTF store. I just got mine in today's mail and have been comparing it to the 2013 version of same.

The new 23 mile re-route of the CDT can be found on pages 19 through 22 - from Tincup Pass Road north to Texas Creek - and on page 23 from Hamilton to Winfield.

Coffee
03-15-2014, 16:04
I sure wish it was possible to buy just the reroutes. The map books are on the pricy side...and I already have the 2013 version.

lonehiker
03-15-2014, 16:10
Welcome to the world of buying guidebooks and map packages.

Coffee
03-15-2014, 16:32
Welcome to the world of buying guidebooks and map packages.
Yeah, it was kind of my fault for buying so far in advance of the hike but I didn't realize changes were in store. Anyway, looks like I can go with the slightly cheaper 2014 Collegiate Loop book rather than the full CT map pack. I do really like the maps. Very detailed.

wandering_bob
03-15-2014, 17:06
RN-PCT2015: Welcome to the club!

Looking on the bright side, I can now disassemble my 2013 Collegiate Loop Map Book and carry the pages I need, dumping them in the trash when they're no longer needed. I'll just scan and print the 2014 changed pages, thus leaving my totally virgin 2014 map book at home. No, I can not supply anyone with a set - that's a copyright violation. Please don't ask.

Of equal importance though, is the route description for this newly opened re-route. Alas. the current Data Book (2013 5th edition) shows the original CDT alignment; it DOES NOT has the re-routes in it. Hopefully, the CTF will publish this information before hiking season starts. For the most part, Jerry's revised GPS waypoints lack useable geographic descriptions, although the elevations are helpful.

According to the CTF, there won't be a revised Guidebook until 2015 at the earliest, as the re-routing plans will require several years to fund and complete.

Coffee
03-15-2014, 17:13
One reason I really need the new maps is because no other sources describe the reroute. As far as I know, the data book is not being updated. But even if it was, I would probably need the maps to feel comfortable on the trail.

On the bright side, the reroute should be spectacular.